+ Reply to Thread
Page 112 of 893 FirstFirst ... 12 62 102 110 111 112 113 114 122 162 212 612 ... LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,240 of 17857

Thread: Random News Article Discussion II

Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

Quote Originally Posted by Pochipochi View Post
    It doesn't unless your intention is derailing social issues.
    So racism against white people in America does exist. Just don't compare it when we're talking about the bigger social issue of racism against minorities in America because it can trivialize the issue.

As far as I'm concerned racism is racism but I can understand that viewpoint. It helps to dig deeper and point out the racial divides in the problem as it does affect each race differently, as a whole. It affects minorities far more on every level with the way America has developed.

I'm a firm believer in just because a problem is smaller doesn't mean it doesn't exist though.
    Everything's Eventual...

It doesn't unless your intention is derailing social issues.
    Racism which is not institutional is also a social issue.

Okay Outerspec, Supernova. I have to level with you here because I know you're just being naive and your thoughts genuinely come from a place of wanting to be fair and balanced.

In societies that value the lives of white men so much greater as a whole than other people that live in it, to try to include them in this subject is not just unfair to the people who are really being harmed, it actively disengages and equivocates issues and intentionally tangles the power systems at play to further silence oppressed voices. That may sound very extreme, but it's just not aomething to be played with. There has to be a great awareness involved and I guarantee you whatever "social issues" you think that come solely from being white are not something to be discussed, acknowledged, or tackled.

Just. Don't do it, okay. Just trust me on this.

That doesn't sound very extreme. Sounds exactly like what I've already said except for where you think it's best to not acknowledge that white people can face discrimination too. You have total denial confused for a respectful solution. There is no great awareness in that.

If we're discussing the social issue of racism. Yeah, concentrate on minority rights and the people it affects most.

But if we're discussing "can white people face racism too"? Then, yes, the answer is yes.

There is nothing fair and balanced about the issue of racism in society. It's pretty lopsided actually. I didn't reply to you and try and make some case for "white people have it just as bad". My comment was a simple denial against your statement that white people can't be discriminated against. That is all. If you want to talk about the bigger issue of racism and how it disproportionately affects 'non-whites' then go ahead, but don't start off with that kind of statement.
    Everything's Eventual...

Christ. Please. Try and explain what white people "face" that is discriminatory because from where I'm standing you don't understand racism.

Otherwise why say it?

Why bring it up?

White People Don't Face Racism. Are you saying its a possibility? What is your angle

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Are you being pedantic

The way I understood it was that whites could experience racism in a country where they were a minority and livin under a government that was heavily prejudiced against minorities

I only read that in passing on tumblr though

I'm saying your angle doesn't correlate with your words outerspec

Christ. Please. Try and explain what white people "face" that is discriminatory because from where I'm standing you don't understand racism.
    No, what exactly is racism to you? Does it have to be institutional or built in to the very foundations of the country in order for it to be racism?

If a white man is denied a job or position solely because he's white is that not racism? Will you sit here and tell me that has never happened before, ever? I don’t need an angle to argue my point. It's pretty straightforward, but you need to do some cartwheels in logic to get yours across.

Why are you even so adamant about trying to make me "understand" white people don't face racism?
    Everything's Eventual...

*raises hand* Are we talking about America or can we include other countries into this discussion? And what qualifies as "white"?

Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    If a white man is denied a job or position solely because he's white is that not racism? Will you sit here and tell me that has never happened before, ever? I don’t need an angle to argue my point. It's pretty straightforward, but you need to do some cartwheels in logic to get yours across.
    Yeah uh. You really kind of blew it with this one, because I was thinking you understood what racism was but were just being pedantic, but now I know you really don't actually know what's up. Okay. Okay. Hold on. Give me a minute and I might engage this, but if I don't please understand it's because this is a really tired subject and you're using a very easily torn apart argument that still takes time to compose and set up that might be better spent with me not being Mad As Hell. Considering the wealth of issues minorities face in the work world I think you'd be able to realize what you're saying and feel self-embarrassment at least.

But no, that is absolutely not racism dude. I say this with not a single doubt.
    Last edited by Pochipochi; October 7th, 2014 at 01:23 PM.

Karma continues to be a bitch for the Mormon Church as gay marriage bans in Idaho and Nevada are struck down.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-1...-by-court.html

Also Colorado has started issuing marriage licenses to gay couples.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/poli...icle-1.1966188
    Complicating things since 2009.

No, what exactly is racism to you? Does it have to be institutional or built in to the very foundations of the country in order for it to be racism?

Why are you even so adamant about trying to make me "understand" white people don't face racism?
    Here:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    There's a great lighthearted vibe around here, because no matter how serious we might get, we're all together because of some magical pirate.

Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    Karma continues to be a bitch for the Mormon Church as gay marriage bans in Idaho and Nevada are struck down.

Took Nevada long enough.
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

@Po: I'll give you all the minutes you need. I can assure you whatever you're about to say will need to be well thought out if you plan to suitably enforce the kind of logic I think you're going for.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyan D. Funk View Post
    *raises hand* Are we talking about America or can we include other countries into this discussion? And what qualifies as "white"?
    At first I was generally speaking with, "yeah white people can face racism too" but then I pointed out America as an example even though its majority white.
    Everything's Eventual...

Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    Took Nevada long enough.
    I've always been amazed that Vegas and Reno didn't get it legalized early on as a money making venture.
    Complicating things since 2009.

I've always been amazed that Vegas and Reno didn't get it legalized early on as a money making venture.
    Some people just hate money unbelievable as it sounds.
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

@Po: I'll give you all the minutes you need. I can assure you whatever you're about to say will need to be well thought out if you plan to suitably enforce the kind of logic I think you're going for.
    Okay well like here. Enforce "what" kind of logic? The fact that you're engaging the topic of racism completely wrong? That you aren't talking of the injustices and difficulties people of color (also women especially who aren't white) have towards getting employment? To being heard? To being paid fair wages? That white people make much higher salaries across the board? Have an easier time getting new work? Have an easier time being heard in the first place? That Latinx women make 58 cents to a white man's dollar? That minorities reaching out for opportunities will frequently be denied mentorship that white students can get? As seen here: http://www.npr.org/2014/04/22/305814367/evidence-of-racial-gender-biases-found-in-faculty-mentoring

White people just have a better chance period of getting work is what I'm saying, and why I do not give a flying fuck about your example.

And you're trying to say... What. That a white man not getting a job because he's white is an issue? That needs to be acknowledged, or discussed? Go ahead. Fuck white men. If it could happen, go ahead and bring together our brothers and sisters who aren't white to create safe spaces, places of solidarity, where they might be able to get a job and work and eject white men from that space if be. And I'm only talking about the race issue there. I'd just as soon include gender and sexuality because it's also very heavily linked into this. Thus why current generation feminism is so centered on intersectionality. The point is, whether it's because it's not a safe place for them, or it's a business that is intentionally looking for minorities to hire due to their knowledge that they face higher difficulties in the work force, or whatever situation your hypothetical involves.... I have no sympathy for the white man who wasn't given work. Especially given how entitled white men think they are to every work possible. Take a look at how many whites whine about "affirmative action" taking away "their jobs" and giving it to minorities, with the implication being they aren't nearly as qualified. And all across the board it is ingrained and internalized in our culture that white men are the ones who are the most qualified. These spaces where a white man would be denied a job for being white are fucking tiny, very small, basically rarely happening and if it is go the fuck ahead and deny him a job. It's not like the system is stacked against him, he has better odds than anyone to find work.

The problem here is you Outerspec. Did you watch the video Silence posted? Do you even have the knowledge to properly engage in this concept without relying on something so absolutely basic as "a white man being denied a job for being white is prejudice". This isn't what we have conversations about when we talk race. This isn't even on the goddamn map, this is some ejected concept flying through the void of space and sometimes people with a total misunderstanding of race dynamics try to reel it in with a magnet.

And don't you even dare try to say "oh I'm just specifically saying, nothing else, what if a white man is denied a job" because this comes together. There is a great web that ties all of these concepts together and you don't get to pick and choose what isn't engaged. I'm the person allowed to be mad here, not you, so don't you even try to continue your arrogant tone.

Quote Originally Posted by Silence View Post
    Here:
    Here:

http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t...=1#post3334785

And here:

http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t...=1#post3334844

I'm aware of the levels of racism minorities face here. I am aware of the way the system is built to make it harder to vote, harder to gain access to good schools, harder to get a decent job, harder to live where yoj want to live, harder to shake off that stereotyoe perpetuated by media, harder to make a living. Aware I am. My issue wasn't and still isn't against institutionalized and systematic racism.

I donít mean to concentrate on the individual level but when someone is completely denying that white people face any racism, well, I want talk about that.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Btw, that was a very good video, no joke. I'm glad I'm aware of it.
    Everything's Eventual...

I don’t mean to concentrate on the individual level but when someone is completely denying that white people face any racism, well, I want talk about that.
    Well don't talk about it. I just gave you a post as to why you don't talk about it. So don't.

Don't play devil's advocate for white people end of story. All you do is derail from serious issues. Just look at how many people crawled out of the woodwork to go UHM NO :) when I said white people don't suffer racism.
    Last edited by Pochipochi; October 7th, 2014 at 02:05 PM.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/poli...icle-1.1966188
    So this means the majority of States now allow same-sex marriage. Right?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information