+ Reply to Thread
Page 111 of 893 FirstFirst ... 11 61 101 109 110 111 112 113 121 161 211 611 ... LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,220 of 17846

Thread: Random News Article Discussion II

Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    Who here actually lives somewhere 95% white (in North America, shut up Yerp).
    Is that even a real thing. What is that like where this dude's idea of "forced and unnatural random ETHNIKS" is actually real.
    This reminds me of some dissucssions when I first moved from the DFW mtroplex in TX, to Madison, WI. I was told that Madison isn't as diversified as Dallas, that its 75% white with most blacks and Hispanics in the south Madison area.
    I didn't care about that, when I looked into moving, what I looked for was public transportation, not ethinicities.
    I moved and yup, the moron that said "Its 75% white" was wrong.

I should have reminded them that Madison is a collage town so only type there was going to be a lot of disproportion of 20-somethings.

I do not see a huge difference in people here.

The only place I've seen that was 95% white was down in TX in a ... you got it... very small town. I do mean very small, always wondered if it should have been called a village XD
    Whitewright TX was so small (at least in the 1990s) that its main street was a 'blink and you miss it" reality. All 10 shops of it, it took a minute (if that!) to drive from one end to the other.
    So not surprised it was mostly white... the town was mostly dead to begin with.

This will sound more than a little racist, but I would be pretty uncomfortable with the idea of moving to a town which is 95+% White. Or rather 95+% White British (in weird census terms). Or comparable analogues elsewhere.

I love to describe the part of my city I live in as diverse, but it's not actually true. It's just 50% South Asian and 50% White (British), with only the vaguest sprinkling of anything else. That's not really 'diversity'.

Quote Originally Posted by Supernova122 View Post
    This will sound more than a little racist, but I would be pretty uncomfortable with the idea of moving to a town which is 95+% White. Or rather 95+% White British (in weird census terms). Or comparable analogues elsewhere.
    From what I've seen of British demographics, that basically means anywhere that isn't a major city since most English counties are at or over that 95% mark, let alone the towns.

And, speaking of British demographics, Irish White? Really? Really?
    Complicating things since 2009.

You can't be racist against white people. That's not even me just goofing, you legitimately can't.

Oh i'm sure it's like with snakes, just remember that they are more scared of you than you are of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Pochipochi View Post
    You can't be racist against white people. That's not even me just goofing, you legitimately can't.
    Weeeell....no .
    Everything's Eventual...

Working thru some stuff. Dunno how long i will be here.

what if you're in another country where you're the minority?

Racism is not only for black persons, it´s for all the races.

Also, I can´t "believe" there is racism in the americas (especially in the U.S. and in Brazil), this idea sounds like something from outside, a foreignness. Something that does not fit in our culture and society

About the brazilian election, Marina will support Aécio in the runoff round.
    Last edited by C_uggs; October 7th, 2014 at 08:57 AM.
    When AP used to be good:

NEVER FORGET !!

You don't even have to be in a country where you're the minority, though it improves your chances of facing discrimination.

Even here in America white people can "literally" be discriminated against and are. It just doesn't happen as much/on the same level. To put it simply, it's not on par with the institutionalized racism minorities face here but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It very much happens on an individual level but it's still racism.

What I find baffling are those that acknowledge "it doesn't happen as much" (like it's not as big) but at the same time deny racism against white people even exists. Like...it needs to be a HUGE problem for it to be a problem at all.
    Last edited by Outerspec; October 7th, 2014 at 08:46 AM.
    Everything's Eventual...

I love to describe the part of my city I live in as diverse, but it's not actually true. It's just 50% South Asian and 50% White (British), with only the vaguest sprinkling of anything else. That's not really 'diversity'.
    "White British" I think is Britain's way of noting that even their white population is mostly just English people. So not only racially, but ethnically homogenous. Though I wonder if there's some little grain of "Do not associate us with either the Irish or Poles".

Overly homogenous places are often easily xenophobic places. Nothing racist about not wanting to be the odd man out in such a place. CCC was driven nearly crazy about being the one white guy in bumfuck Japan. Living in Bumfuck Upon Nowhere England would not be fun for an Indian guy.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I'd say it's an important ethnic distinction....but then I don't see "Scottish White" or "Welsh White". So it IS kind of questionable.

Remember when the Irish weren't considered white? Good times. Good times.

From what I've seen of British demographics, that basically means anywhere that isn't a major city since most English counties are at or over that 95% mark, let alone the towns.
    Well, depends what you mean by 'major city'. The counties would be very white because the population overall is very white, and most of the non-white population is urban, and the counties include all the rural population. So for example, I am in Cambridge only as a student, but it's 'only' like 75% White British and has a pretty notable Asian population, but I don't think it qualifies as a 'major city' in any sense ...

Lots of people in this country are racist towards white people.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    "White British" I think is Britain's way of noting that even their white population is mostly just English people. So not only racially, but ethnically homogenous. Though I wonder if there's some little grain of "Do not associate us with either the Irish or Poles".
    Well yes. So there's a distinction between White people who have a British background and White people who have some kind of foreign background. So if you look at this ethnicity data from censuses, it will tell you the difference between that town which is completely white and oolllld British, that town which is completely white and has a sizeable part of the population from that wave of Irish immigration, that town which is completely white and has a sizeable part of the population from the more recent waves of Eastern European immigration. Similarly there is Asian British - Indian, Asian British - Pakistani, Asian British - Bangladeshi, but it's far more meaningful and useful in the case of White people.

Prejudices, or xenophobia, are not the same as institutional racism. There needs to be a system of power in play. No white dude in the us or britain is going to experience racism, it does not happen

I'm saying "i dont want to be around white people" is not racist
    Last edited by Pochipochi; October 7th, 2014 at 09:45 AM.

Prejudices, or xenophobia, are not the same as institutional racism. There needs to be a system of power in play. No white dude in the us or britain is going to experience racism, it does not happen
    You know adding the qualifier 'institutional' does actually change the meaning right?

It doesn't unless your intention is derailing social issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyan D. Funk View Post
    Remember when the Irish weren't considered white? Good times. Good times.
    lol your sarcasm made me remember some documentaries on the Kennedys and Irish in the USA.
    Many kids today are surprised to learn that the racism and anti-immigration sentiments aimed at Hispanics today was also aimed at Irish in the past.Many didn't want John F Kennedy as president because he was of Irish decent.

It's really funny to read about mid-19th to mid-20th century politics and see how many times the word "Papist" gets thrown about.

Oh is this going to turn into "white people faced racism look at the irish" because that'd really show a good understanding. I can't do this haha. I'm out.

Oh is this going to turn into "white people faced racism look at the irish" because that'd really show a good understanding. I can't do this haha. I'm out.
    What? No, I just really want to talk about stupid beliefs from 1800s. Chill.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information