+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 479

Thread: Oda's Foreshadowing Challenge

  1. #81
    Lost in Traslation Katzztar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA

    Default Re: Oda's Foreshadowing Challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by Candide View Post
    Spoiler:


    The only lie left to be fulfilled is the one about the alien bar owner. Does this mean that we will fly to the moon? Or another place where those rabbit aliens gather?
    Actually I'm waiting to find out that Usopp did indeed go sailing when he was child and fight someone/something from South Blue.
    This desire comes from the part where he says he sailed when he was 5 and fought the southern giant goldfish.
    The giant goldfish came true, so now waiting on the rest of it

    EDIT=
    That pic didn't show for me but was able to get its properties and find site. so thanks in a lop-sided way for the link

    Looking through the "things you noticed", I see one that I didn't rememeber.
    Waaaay back in East Blue saga, Coby wanted to join the marines, there was one soldier that protested, saying they needed to do a background check first, as there been cases of pirates joining the marines to be spies. Seems nothing important, just general common sense ... until Punk Hazard and Vergo's revelation to be a spy for Doffy

    Hidden:
    Last edited by Katzztar; February 19th, 2014 at 08:07 PM.

  2. #82
    Stealing Presidents Rubies Rosebullet Teacher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Joburg

    Default Re: Oda's Foreshadowing Challenge

    I noticed Sugars weird left eye monocle, I had seen it earlier on the Supernovas Post Time-skip image on X Drake. Probably nothing big but it stuck out to me.

  3. #83
    Ou l‘optimisme Candide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Berlin

    Default Re: Oda's Foreshadowing Challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by Katzztar View Post
    Actually I'm waiting to find out that Usopp did indeed go sailing when he was child and fight someone/something from South Blue.
    This desire comes from the part where he says he sailed when he was 5 and fought the southern giant goldfish.
    The giant goldfish came true, so now waiting on the rest of it

    EDIT=
    That pic didn't show for me but was able to get its properties and find site. so thanks in a lop-sided way for the link

    [/hide]
    Thank you for pointing out :). Repaired.

  4. #84

    Default Re: Oda's Foreshadowing Challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by Light Bro View Post
    That might make most sense. I just can't see how it wasn't referring to Zeff's earlier words. The connection is just too obvious!
    The problem with that is it's not really foreshadowing, but more of a reference.

    You could certainly draw the conclusion that Zeff's words were meant to foreshadow that there's even more danger beyond the early part of the Grand Line, but I'd agree that it wasn't the intention of its inclusion.

  5. #85
    Discovered Stowaway Light Bro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Finland

    Default Re: Oda's Foreshadowing Challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by square View Post
    The problem with that is it's not really foreshadowing, but more of a reference.

    You could certainly draw the conclusion that Zeff's words were meant to foreshadow that there's even more danger beyond the early part of the Grand Line, but I'd agree that it wasn't the intention of its inclusion.
    Either way we never actually hear the exact conversation they have. Zeff might have said something like "First half of Grand Line is called "Paradise" because it is less dangerous than the other part." But Luffy, being Luffy, just hears "Blah blah Grand Line blah blah paradise blah blah meat cookies." Either way, since he never mentioned anything about New World, (since Luffy finds out about it from Coby) he might have never heard about it either, (tough he seems smart enough to research these things) or didn't mention it to Luffy.

  6. #86

    Default Re: Oda's Foreshadowing Challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by Light Bro View Post
    Either way we never actually hear the exact conversation they have. Zeff might have said something like "First half of Grand Line is called "Paradise" because it is less dangerous than the other part." But Luffy, being Luffy, just hears "Blah blah Grand Line blah blah paradise blah blah meat cookies."
    Luffy doesn't say anything about the first half, he's talking about the whole Grand Line.
    Either way, since he never mentioned anything about New World, (since Luffy finds out about it from Coby) he might have never heard about it either,
    It's basic geographic knowledge. Why the heck wouldn't Zeff know about it.
    It's like someone not knowing about South America.
    The ignorance of the main crew toward such things is part gag, part story tool, all abnormal.

    or didn't mention it to Luffy.
    Nothing suggests he mentioned parts or halves.

  7. #87
    Discovered Stowaway Light Bro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Finland

    Default Re: Oda's Foreshadowing Challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    Luffy doesn't say anything about the first half, he's talking about the whole Grand Line.
    Like I said, he might have misunderstood it.

    It's basic geographic knowledge. Why the heck wouldn't Zeff know about it.
    It's like someone not knowing about South America.
    The ignorance of the main crew toward such things is part gag, part story tool, all abnormal.
    And I said he should be smart enough to know about it! If you're gonna argue, don't cut my quotes for your convenience Zeppy.

    Nothing suggests he mentioned parts or halves.
    Nothing suggests the other way around! We don't know anything what Zeff said about Grand Line except that it's called "Paradise" and later some other pirate calls the first half of it "Paradise" (tough still I'd love to know if it was same in the original.)

    Anyway looks like we're at stalemate again. If you have something else to say, go ahead. But otherwise I'm out.

  8. #88

    Default Re: Oda's Foreshadowing Challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by Light Bro View Post
    Like I said, he might have misunderstood it.
    One Piece isn't an unscripted reality show, if Luffy is misunderstanding something it has to have a purpose, the lines themselves had to have a purpose whether he did or not. Tiny as a bug or massive, all lines serve a purpose.
    The obvious purpose of that is to present a different sort of hype for the Grand Line than what we'd been hearing the entire series up to that point, particularly after a storyline whose whole plot involved a supposed badass pirate coming back from it defeated and crushed.
    It was one of the main themes in the end of Baratie. The difference between flashy seemingly worthy pretenders like Krieg, and the real deal people like Luffy who have the right stuff. Like all of Zeff and Sanji's dialogue during Luffy's fight with Krieg is about that. And then after the arc we have Luffy telling Sanji and Yosaku some pearl of wisdom Zeff told him that frames the Grand Line as something that people like Krieg and his men would never understand.

    But ok, just to make your point maybe Oda had Luffy misunderstand something for no reason. Yeah that's how it works.

    And I said he should be smart enough to know about it! If you're gonna argue, don't cut my quotes for your convenience Zeppy.
    It's not a matter of smart. It's just basic knowledge.

  9. #89
    Discovered Stowaway Light Bro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Finland

    Default Re: Oda's Foreshadowing Challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    One Piece isn't an unscripted reality show, if Luffy is misunderstanding something it has to have a purpose, the lines themselves had to have a purpose whether he did or not. Tiny as a bug or massive, all lines serve a purpose.
    The obvious purpose of that is to present a different sort of hype for the Grand Line than what we'd been hearing the entire series up to that point, particularly after a storyline whose whole plot involved a supposed badass pirate coming back from it defeated and crushed.
    It was one of the main themes in the end of Baratie. The difference between flashy seemingly worthy pretenders like Krieg, and the real deal people like Luffy who have the right stuff. Like all of Zeff and Sanji's dialogue during Luffy's fight with Krieg is about that. And then after the arc we have Luffy telling Sanji and Yosaku some pearl of wisdom Zeff told him that frames the Grand Line as something that people like Krieg and his men would never understand.

    But ok, just to make your point maybe Oda had Luffy misunderstand something for no reason. Yeah that's how it works.
    I admit, it probably was the purpose at the time. To make Grand Line seem like a paradise for adventurers like Luffy, but it also ended up having a double-meaning to hype up New World. That would be a good reason for slight misunderstanding, don'tchu think?

    And we still don't know how exactly it went down.

    It's not a matter of smart. It's just basic knowledge.
    And you conveniently left out the part where I said it should be the case. Maybe it was silly to question Zeff's experience, but cutting your opponents argument... well you should be better than that.

  10. #90

    Default Re: Oda's Foreshadowing Challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by Light Bro View Post
    I admit, it probably was the purpose at the time. To make Grand Line seem like a paradise for adventurers like Luffy, but it also ended up having a double-meaning to hype up New World.
    Tell me why they call the first half of the Grand Line Paradise. Because I don't think you know.

  11. #91

    Default Re: Oda's Foreshadowing Challenge

    http://image.mangabird.info/sites/de...4070703880.jpg

    Nami being called a "thieving cat" by the villagers of Cocoyashi (Arlong arc) way before Enies Lobby. Obvious foreshadowing of her criminal epithet, same way Luffy's being called "straw hat" before his first bounty.

  12. #92
    Discovered Stowaway Light Bro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Finland

    Default Re: Oda's Foreshadowing Challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    Tell me why they call the first half of the Grand Line Paradise. Because I don't think you know.
    At this point, I hardly care what you think...

  13. #93

    Default Re: Oda's Foreshadowing Challenge



    There's a lot of information in this image!

    The bones which are the main entrance of Grand line from the four Seas.
    The ropes which is the Travel of the mugiwaras.
    Of course the main part is GrandLine with New World separated by Red Mountain (Luffy)
    The blue lines up and down are calm belt
    The "E" letter which is a Anchor means the End of the travel!

  14. #94

    Default Re: Oda's Foreshadowing Challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by Light Bro View Post
    At this point, I hardly care what you think...
    MK is making a good point though.

    There's a pretty big distinction between how the word "paradise" is being used in each of these cases: In Zeff's case, he is telling Luffy that, for the brave and adventurous, the entire GL is not so scary as it is just pure awesome. In the case where the NW is being hyped, we have pirates who are escaping the scary sea and calling the not so scary one a nice place to be. In a way, they are using the opposite definition for paradise, acting more like Krieg characters than Zeff characters if you catch my drift.

  15. #95

    Default Re: Oda's Foreshadowing Challenge

    The first half of the Grand Line is called Paradise because it's nothing in comparison with the second half. The Yonkous don't have territory in the first half and it's more of a place where they (other pirates) weed out the weak. The Worst Generation only had 9 pirate crews coming to the second half compared to the amount of pirate crews that started out on the Grand Line.

  16. #96
    Discovered Stowaway Light Bro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Finland

    Default Re: Oda's Foreshadowing Challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by benjamminbrown View Post
    MK is making a good point though.

    There's a pretty big distinction between how the word "paradise" is being used in each of these cases: In Zeff's case, he is telling Luffy that, for the brave and adventurous, the entire GL is not so scary as it is just pure awesome. In the case where the NW is being hyped, we have pirates who are escaping the scary sea and calling the not so scary one a nice place to be. In a way, they are using the opposite definition for paradise, acting more like Krieg characters than Zeff characters if you catch my drift.
    I didn't deny that the context was different. But we only hear what he said indirectly, so it leaves a little bit up to interpretation. Besides, like Dollar said, he might have very well meant both. Maybe when he said to Luffy that Grand Line is called "Paradise", he was talking about how it's considered much less dangerous that the New World. But he also knew that for Luffy, Grand Line was "Paradise" for totally different reason.

  17. #97

    Default Re: Oda's Foreshadowing Challenge

    ^ But, by Occam's razor, we should not suspect that Oda was trying to say any more than what he literally inked on the paper. Like MK said, it's not some reality show where there actually was a conversation that we as an audience didn't hear.

    I think you may be reading too much into Zeff's comment. It seems like you want it to be foreshadowing, when there really is no reason (by the razor) to suspect that it is.

  18. #98
    Pirate Penguin Clessenur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    South Pole

    Default Re: Oda's Foreshadowing Challenge

    I found some more.
    Nami's boob size

    Blackbeard becoming one of the Yonko



    This one will propably be nothing, but I just can't get over what Iceburg says on the first panel:
    http://img.batoto.net/comics/2011/05...ECE_341-18.png

    I have good feeling these will eventually happen(last panels):
    http://i33.mangareader.net/one-piece...ce-1693454.jpg
    http://i15.mangareader.net/one-piece/458/one-piece-63935.jpg
    Last edited by Clessenur; February 21st, 2014 at 11:05 AM.
    "In mad world, only the mad are sane."

  19. #99
    Discovered Stowaway Light Bro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Finland

    Default Re: Oda's Foreshadowing Challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by benjamminbrown View Post
    ^ But, by Occam's razor, we should not suspect that Oda was trying to say any more than what was obvious. Like MK said, it's not some reality show where there actually was a conversation that we as an audience didn't hear.

    I think you may be reading too much into Zeff's comment. It seems like you want it to be foreshadowing, when there really is no reason (by the razor) to suspect that it is.
    Whatever. I haven't still changed my mind but I'm tired of arguing, so take what you will.

  20. #100

    Default Re: Oda's Foreshadowing Challenge

    Quote Originally Posted by Light Bro View Post
    I didn't deny that the context was different. But we only hear what he said indirectly, so it leaves a little bit up to interpretation. Besides, like Dollar said, he might have very well meant both. Maybe when he said to Luffy that Grand Line is called "Paradise", he was talking about how it's considered much less dangerous that the New World. But he also knew that for Luffy, Grand Line was "Paradise" for totally different reason.
    I support this foreshadowing !

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts