Closed Thread
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you boost your intellect?

Default How do you boost your intellect?

I want to actively boost my level of intelligence. I don't know if i have limitations, or how to go about training my brain to evolve into something superior to my current disposition.

I want to know how certain foods, and mental exercises help. I want to know if having a broader vocabulary or knowledge of foreign languages can have a positive effect. And how sleep patterns, habits, physical exercise, reading etc can help.

If anyone here has tried to improve themselves, please by all means list the things you've done and the outcome of effects you seen.

Default Re: How do you boost your intellect?

What do you expect to gain with a new "level" of intelligence. Are there levels?

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    What do you expect to gain with a new "level" of intelligence. Are there levels?
    I don't know.

I just think I have the ability to be so much more than i am. And why waste potential, or hold yourself back? i guess i could say that i have no end goal, but to push myself to the edge of my limits, or discover if that in itself exists.

In my eyes your level of intelligence is like your weight. It doesn't prevent you from doing most things, but if its not kept in check can slow you down and make life harder. I don't seek some kind of superiority. I just don't want to let myself down or have the regret of knowing i could have been better.

I also want to explore the concepts of perceived intellect. For example their really isn't one way to measure anyone. Not to mention that some people have the ability to excel in some areas, while completely fail at the simplest of tasks. The easiest example would be to point out some of the autistic prodigies that have produced amazing work in various fields, yet still need a carer to survive. But I don't really want to get into that as a discussion, or how people compare philosophic intelligence against mathematical intelligence, even if that's somewhat relative in how you might want to approach or train in improving yourself.

The title should have just been changed to "smudge wants to be the next lawnmower man". lol
    Last edited by Smudger; January 10th, 2014 at 09:23 PM.

I think what you're trying to say is simply accomplished by just learning and rehearsing.

The issue is that you need to know more specifically what you want. Do you want to improve memory? decision-making? problem-solving? if you know specifically what you want to improve then it's easier to go ahead and do so.

Now, if you're talking about the cultural perception of an intellectual, my assumption is that the goal would simply be to become more cultured, which would entail opening yourself to learning of cultural habits outside your own, explore reading, different fields and different theories within them, different languages, traveling ... Again, assuming that in the idea of intellect you seek the image of someone who carries knowledge.

Whatever it is you want, you need to be much more specific about it. Wanting to just be more intelligent is meaningless unless you have a practical definition of intelligence.

The cooldud guide to appear cultured.

1) Cast your reading net far and wide (translation: read a lot of Wikipedia articles).
    2) Imbibe a lot of buzzwords about the current subject-du-jour.
    3) Build your way to sound confident.
    4) Ally the previous points to bullshit your way into everybody's awe.

Tried and tested.

Quote Originally Posted by Noqanky View Post
    I think what you're trying to say is simply accomplished by just learning and rehearsing.
    as with learning any subject I guess.

The issue is that you need to know more specifically what you want.
    I think its about having more of an all-around level of improvement, as opposed to just focusing on one area. I want to be diverse in this.

Do you want to improve memory?
    This has always been an issue for me. My biggest flaw revolves around dates and names. I just don't know how to better myself here, or if that is just a flaw i wont be able to change.

decision-making? problem-solving?
    Decision making can always be worked on. But in truth, i tend to over analyse most things in my life, which includes taking into account a huge multitude of outcomes, scenarios and solutions to each and every problem, in an attempt to determine the outcome better. The downside is the stress that spawns from making an everyday simple decision or reaction so complex.

if you know specifically what you want to improve then it's easier to go ahead and do so.
    That's for sure. But i can't really pinpoint one single subject as I don't think any one subject gives a good level of improvement that can be applied to everyday life.

Now, if you're talking about the cultural perception of an intellectual, my assumption is that the goal would simply be to become more cultured, which would entail opening yourself to learning of cultural habits outside your own, explore reading, different fields and different theories within them, different languages, traveling ... Again, assuming that in the idea of intellect you seek the image of someone who carries knowledge.
    How do I become more cultured? I want to know what my thoughts are compared to your own or others. That too is something I would like to work on more. Some of the most interesting people I have met seem to be pretty knowledgeable with the world. And this doesn't come from them being rich/well traveled.

Whatever it is you want, you need to be much more specific about it. Wanting to just be more intelligent is meaningless unless you have a practical definition of intelligence.
    I can't narrow it down to any one specific group, as good knowledge should be thought of in a much broader sense.

My thoughts revolve around art, music, documentaries, novels, literature, science etc. It would just be cool to see a way to get my foot in the door of each, as well as the other areas I didn't mention that stand to have a noticeable impact on my being.

I'm open to people just reeling off random names of things that they consider helped them grow. Just any better solutions than aimlessly wondering the net for articles and fun.
    Last edited by Smudger; January 10th, 2014 at 11:40 PM.

Read the books i bought. That would be a great start :p because reading can make you smarter in a lot of ways.
    And I rly think it's easy to sit down 5-10mins a day and read a chapter.

"Unicorns can't see into your heart. All our dumb horns can do is glow, point towards the nearest rainbow and play rave music!"

Visit my Etsy Shop: Heart'n'Skull or Tumblr

Good topic. About memory. I remember everything visually. I don't know how other people's brains work. But for me it's enough to write important points from text for example and study it, to remember whole one. As for dates and names if they are written somewhere I can remember it easily, but if I only hear it, I can't.
    By the way I would also like to know about improving decision-making and problem-solving. In real life. As for maths it helped to think about problems often. Not necessarily solving, just thinking. Which didn't affect my life too much.

I usually devour the brains of my superiors to gain their intelligence.

If you want to be more intelligent, do the ironic thing and stop thinking about it. It comes from experience. If you dedicate yourself to something for long enough, you pick up on certain things, you make mental connections. Some details get memorized or fall into place as an internal logic. Think of how you've come this far already. Look at language, for example, and how easily you can read and write. Remember how much work it took just to learn the alphabet? It's easy to forget how far we've had to climb just to get to where we are.

It seems like you want something quick or simple like an exercise, but you can't expect instant gratification on growth. It's a slow process that can only be improved with open-mindedness, dedication and acceptance of failure. Through those virtues, you might not increase the speed of growth, but you'll definitely change the quality of the yield.

Your best bet is really to find something you like or something you want to improve and just engage it as much as you can.

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

Thanks a lot for the responses so far. I think the only way to really find some growth, (or speed up my growth and knowledge) is to categorize each area, and determine a method to learn from each. This year for example I am starting my art again and learning how to use two new art programs. (including some PC programs giving me better security and anonymity).

I'm also practicing photography, which I have to say is pretty daunting at times. If I could pick a few more subjects to embrace, it would be my writing skills, which includes the increase of my vocabulary, as well as overall improvement of spelling and grammar (which as you can tell is pretty darn awful considering my age). Last but not least I want to start reading again, and become more diverse in the genre of books I read. So no more fantasy/adventures, and maybe more crime thrillers.

If all goes well... I should slowly tick off subjects when I feel I've reached a certain level, and replace them with something else.

The only limits I have on myself revolve around time, and how much i can absorb each day.

Read more and try a lot of new things. Learn to play an instrument! Practicing music on a daily basis works your brain

Read, read, read, and read some more. On a wide variety of topics/genres. You don't have to try and memorize everything, just read for the fun of it and your brain will slowly absorb. It's like when I took classes in college, if I hadn't gone on study abroad I could have gotten a minor in English. I read a LOT of books, by different authors, about different things. I didn't just read sci-fi/fantasy, I read the classics, I read modern lit, I read obscure stuff I hadn't heard of before, I read stuff I HATED (I'm looking at you Tess of the d'Urbervilles). I had one class (with a teacher who ended up being my favorite) where I had to read 15 books in one semester. Bleh. But the point of all the reading is that they were books that made you THINK. They weren't just books that you read for fun then tossed and grabbed the next one, they had characters and plot and writing that made you stop and reconsider things. My Dad told me a story that when he read Albert Camus's The Stranger for the first time when he finished he threw the book across the room as hard as he could, and he still isn't sure why he did. It's that sort of impact.

There are other things to read, of course. I read Greek mythology, some anthropological books, I've read all of Anthony Bourdain's travelogue/food books, and of course all the Japanese lit. and history that came with my bachelor's degree. And of course nothing will increase your vocabulary like reading.

Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer

Reading books is good because it increases your number of total available references (TAR) and makes you look smarter at parties.

With all due respect I think reading is highly overrated. I love reading, but people always put it on a pedestal like it's the one true pastime of the intellectual. You can engage a topic or story just as meaningfully through any kind of media.

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

I can point out few things, not sure if they're true, but that's my opinon.
    1. There must be a limit how much you can put into your brain, therefore I wouldn't advice to expect to become smarter just by keeping to pump more and more information in it.
    2. I don't consider someone to be smarter just by knowing more. What makes person smarter is his ability to filter out and process information, not amount of information in his brains. In other words being smart means having a good insight and good pattern recognition. Well, of course, you can still try to get smarter through becoming human encyclopedia, but keep in mind that this way your "statpoints" won't be distributed in efficient way. Considering the first point, if you keep focusing on knowledge then your mind after reaching its limits will be more focused on information and less on patter recognition and insight.
    3. What influences efficiency of thinking process the most is whatever "filter" you can apply to brains to get closer to desired result - way of thinking, motivation, whatever mental processes you can imagine. In other words, the fast way towards becoming smarter is not by straining your brains for no reason, but by seeking more efficient ways of thinking and processing information. Like first point states, there is limit to how much you can put in your brains, just like that there is limit for much you can focus, therefore seeking better and more efficent "filters" is vital for becoming able to think more efficiently.
    4. It isn't neccesary to have exceptionally high IQ to be smart, it just makes figuring out things faster and with less effort. What really matters is passion to keep thinking and improving your knowledge. Problem is that for people with high IQ are often lazy and aren't used to hard work, because they're used to figuring out things easily and therefore are often pampered by it.
    5. Keep your mind clear. Don't let stupid thoughts and garbage to take over that place.

p.s. I have noted one quote when it comes to this topic: “the intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift.”- Albert Einstein
    - in short, problem in currrent society is that we're engineered to put all our focus on cold literal logic. Don't make your intutition into a bitch for your logical way of thinking, because intuition is the true king in your brains.
    Last edited by pRopaaNS; January 11th, 2014 at 02:16 AM.

learn/master other language

Read up on stuff, study, practice, and repeat. Try your hand at a bunch of things broadly but remember to specialize in a few things you feel for which you have an affinity. There... really isn't too much I think beyond that. A lot of things just come with time and experience.

I think beyond what everyone else has mentioned, think simple. More times often than not, people try to utilize a plethora of frivolous vocabulary stowed away in their lexicon, to postulate one possibility. Really though, the shortest path between two points tends to be a straight line, and complicating things by trying to add unnecessary aspects to a problem leads to headaches. Of all things involving problem solving and reasoning, I believe the ability to think simply allows for a clearer thought process.

Lastly, kind of going off of Zeph's question and Noqanky's post, figure out what you want to do and start from there. Why do you want to gain more knowledge? Knowing what you want to do with it is the best way to approach how you want to grow. If you want to know more about the world, think broadly and read broadly to gain a perspective. Or go out and experience it yourself. Want to make a difference in the world? See what problems there are and think about what ideas you can produce. Self-improvement? See the paragraph-ish of this comment.

Whatever you do, just don't do it superficially. If all the application your knowledge gets is trying to look intelligent in front of a crowd, then all of that work is simply waste.

Btw, I can write a little story about my opinion what defines "geinuses".

In today's society education is very focused on spoonfeding and forcing knowledge to people, in short education system have its imperfections.
    I'm saying this because in my opinion anyone can be a genius, but a catch there is "if he wishes to be".
    I can ramble on this, but one thing what makes sense to me is that learning how to become social in todays society is what forces and engineers people to adapt their ways of thinking and motivations towards being able to do well in society. But one common trait of geniuses is that they are unsocial loners whose prefers to think and figure out things on their own instead of just taking the easy choice of getting spoonfed with whatever education they get from educational systems. In other words, to be "genius" means to have passion to grow and educate yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by pRopaaNS View Post
    Problem is that for people with high IQ are often lazy and aren't used to hard work, because they're used to figuring out things easily and therefore are often pampered by it.
    Unfair Have you any advice to that kind of people? For example, I always believe that I'll manage if I study during last minutes/hours. And most of the time I really do. But sometimes....
    And I know someone who is very smart and also hardworking. And success like his is something everyone would dream about here.
    At least I'm trying my best during those last moments. For example in four days I have something important which needs studying which basically shouldn't be done during last days xD But I started it today, and I'm sure I'll manage anyway. I'd say I like to change it. But I like it this way. Needs less effort.

Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer

The only thing somebody's IQ can tell you is how good they are at passing an IQ test.

Closed Thread

Thread Information