Closed Thread
Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you boost your intellect?

Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer

Default Re: Conclusion: Print error is on par with Bill Clinton.

Quote Originally Posted by Shipmate View Post

Default Re: How do you boost your intellect?

Oh my yes. I shall forever imagine Taytay as Aokiumra

Default Re: Conclusion: Print error is on par with Bill Clinton.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCrystalShip View Post
    Eh I don't know. I agree with you,
    but at the same time, the whole "you can accomplish anything if you work hard at it" thing seems like just as much of a romanticized fantasy to me.
    Accomplish anything? Maybe not. Accomplish? Certainly. If you work at something long enough and have an open enough mind to accept new ideas and your own failures, then you'll get good at it.

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

Eh I don't know. I agree with you,
    but at the same time, the whole "you can accomplish anything if you work hard at it" thing seems like just as much of a romanticized fantasy to me.
    Given from what I've seen, that statement seems closer to reality to me than the whole genius thing.
    Every person I've met that has earned the crazy talented label did have high aptitude for the field they excelled in.
    The thing is when you have aptitude for something it becomes rather easy putting the hours in.
    And damn I guarantee that everyone of them that had that label did put their hours in.
    Compared to the people that just are content with "yup that person is just better than me".

But then this perspective is very much colored by what I've experienced from art/design students.
    The person that people were "jealous"(not maliciously) of was also the person that had fun putting in 10-12 hours everyday into their creations.
    And that doesn't even take into consideration when people have started to devote themselves to their fields. Someone that found their calling with 5 is probably going to be better at it than someone finding it with 18 even if they put in the same amount of hours every day.

This thread is so far all over the place that I don't know whether I should try to somehow formulate an opinion, or just lock it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    Accomplish anything? Maybe not. Accomplish? Certainly. If you work at something long enough and have an open enough mind to accept new ideas and your own failures, then you'll get good at it.
    Failures are unacceptable no matter who commits them. The fact that Taylor Randall commits quite a lot of them, is just an unfortunate coincidence.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthAsthma View Post
    Compared to the people that just are content with "yup that person is just better than me".
    Well it's a good thing I'm not content, now isn't it.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthAsthma View Post
    But then this perspective is very much colored by what I've experienced from art/design students.
    Don't bring up art/design, it triggers flashbacks.

Failures are unacceptable no matter who commits them. The fact that Taylor Randall commits quite a lot of them, is just an unfortunate coincidence.
    Accept failure does not mean to just consider it alright and another part of life. It means to confront them to try and understand them. To say "I've failed" and then move on is to deny responsibility for failure. Just putting yourself down for it is no better, it just means you're shirking responsibility by pretending that there's nothing you can do to about it. Understanding failure is a big part of learning how to succeed.

Wagomu's right. Making up excuses for failures is delusion, but at the same time there is little to be had simply bringing ourselves down over a mistake. We're human. Mistakes happen. Learn from them, grow from them, and accept them, and move on.

Try this. It may help. Courtesy of the Joe Rogan experience podcast ;)
    http://www.lumosity.com

Just putting yourself down for it is no better, it just means you're shirking responsibility by pretending that there's nothing you can do to about it.
    There is literally nothing I can do about it, because it happened in the past.

What makes someone dumb tho

Quote Originally Posted by taboo View Post
    Eating paint from the walls?
    Working thru some stuff. Dunno how long i will be here.

Well I mean like how do you identify a dumb person. Stupid choices? Not knowing basic information?

There is literally nothing I can do about it, because it happened in the past.
    Then it's pretending there's nothing you could have done. Pouting around doesn't make your problems go away, it just wastes the time you could have used to prevent them from coming back to bite you. I've come to see angsting as another form of masturbation. It's really satisfying and easy, but it doesn't get you anywhere. If you've really been hurt by your failures, then you should see just how important it is to learn from them.

It's obviously those music videos.

Well I mean like how do you identify a dumb person. Stupid choices? Not knowing basic information?
    My definition of stupidity is crystalized ignorance; when someone takes something wrong as true. Like believing that mathematics is a conspiracy to bias the youth towards liberalism.
    Last edited by Wagomu; January 12th, 2014 at 10:09 PM.

Then it's pretending there's nothing you could have done. Pouting around doesn't make your problems go away, it just wastes the time you could have used to prevent them from coming back to bite you. I've come to see angsting as another form of masturbation. It's really satisfying and easy, but it doesn't get you anywhere. If you've really been hurt by your failures, then you should see just how important it is to learn from them.
    I guess it is just beyond my capability to understand.

I guess it is just beyond my capability to understand.
    Neither do I understand it. Whenever I remember failure I just get embarrassed and try to hide it in a dark closet of my brain again.
    But it's really necessary.

Talking about failure reminds me how there is one anecdote about one writer from the between-wars period in Paris. that had all his walls lined with the rejection letters of journals and literaty magazines. I don't remember if it was Hemingway, Fitzgerald or someone else. Of course, it 's an anecdote and may not be true.
    Working thru some stuff. Dunno how long i will be here.

Not knowing basic information?
    I'd say that falls under the category of ignorant instead and is something which, while not a good thing, can be corrected without much trouble.

I've always thought of stupidity as being willfully or even proudly ignorant; like if you believe something that is demonstrably false, are presented with concrete evidence that it isn't so, and just double down on it rather than reevaluating your position.
    Complicating things since 2009.

how can you question anything without studying the topic (ie: reading multiple books/papers) and gathering information in order to make a well informed judgement? not being well informed just leaves you vulnerable to propaganda
    Hm, isn't that a bit backwards? Since birth child always looks at his environment at curiousity and keeps learning and questioning how the world around him works. At which point would someone stop questioning things and start taking everything as something set in stone? A lot of people are taught to not question their superiors. I think it's more like a problem for every individual whenever he gives up due to pressure and stops questioning things around to become obedient.

But if about books then they indeed are more credible than other mediums due to contructive logical structure of text, but I'd say that this medium is the most theoretical and the least practical source of information. Books usually have tons of pages just to reasonate some observations and prevent us from misunderstanding them, but in short we can summarize those observations in short sentences once we get that information through in our heads. All this trouble is for one reason - because it's hard to translate someone's whole tought process to another person, which is why it takes to write a book to convey something for everyone else to truly understand. I think that I'd rather form my own opinions and thoughts about my interested topics, all I need is information to process and come to conclusions. Well, of course, there are multiple ways to reach same goals, therefore I guess for others reading books might be a better choice, as long as they don't get suckered by the superior intelect who writes those books.

I'm not entirely clear on why the act of reading is synonymous with blind obediance

Closed Thread

Thread Information