+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 120 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 56 106 ... LastLast

Thread: FIFA World Cup 2014 in Brazil

Default Re: FIFA World Cup 2014 in Brazil

I always thought i would catch up before it started but now it's in a few days and i don't know any of the basic info (I don't really like it but might as well be informed)! Well, first i'll google the teams and then just to be certain i'll ask Captain ugly where is Brazil in the map and...Oh, it's too much work.

Uh, go México?
    Last edited by Prismeru; June 5th, 2014 at 06:32 PM. Reason: But really fuck the mexican government for adjusting their political agenda to the matches.
    Working thru some stuff. Dunno how long i will be here.

Quote Originally Posted by Noqanky View Post
    I also have the very slight hope, the very impossible hope, that Uruguay goes far
    Me too, since I drew them in a World Cup pool.

I'm personally predicting an all South American final of Argentina Vs. Brazil.

I'd love to see Argentina win it, with plenty of goals from glorious Gonzalo and a player of the tournament performance from Messi after the stop-start season he had.
    "Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!" - Auron

Being from South America, I wish I could support my region, but I don't.

Colombia I can support, being from there, but they have no chance to go beyond the second round. It'll be a surprise if they do.
    Chile and Ecuador are solid teams, but nowhere near the level required for a championship.
    Paraguay used to be a staple of world cups and did well last time, but this time they imploded and became the worst in the region. wut.
    Uruguay I would support, but given the group its in I find it really unlikely they'll survive long enough to give us Maracanazo 2.0
    Argentina always walks into world cups boasting, but in the end they fizzle for the very simple reason that their soccer culture praises individual performance way too highly. Last world cup was all about Maradona and his protege Messi, and that exploded in their face. I don't see that mentality being any different now. OH god, and can we also talk about their culture of always going the extra mile in exclaiming to everyone how they're the best and will win and they're so good that maradona is god and ... etc etc. Such a pedantic attitude, it's a reason why most of latin america dreams of argentina losing so they can just shut up.
    And then Brazil actually has a fair shot, but to me that's the most boring conclusion possible given Brazilian soccer has been anything but impressive in the past decade or so.

So basically, the teams from South America I would enjoy winning are nowhere near the level to win it, unless by fluke, and the ones that can achieve that level I doubt would win it due to their own shortcomings, and I also personally dislike them. Brazil has a fair shot of winning, a very real one (especially if we acknowledge the elephant in the room that is corruption and the possibility of fixed matches) but I really don't want them to win it, unless they show from early on that they do deserve it by merit of their skill.

Being from South America, I wish I could support my region, but I don't.

Colombia I can support, being from there, but they have no chance to go beyond the second round. It'll be a surprise if they do.
    Chile and Ecuador are solid teams, but nowhere near the level required for a championship.
    Paraguay used to be a staple of world cups and did well last time, but this time they imploded and became the worst in the region. wut.
    Uruguay I would support, but given the group its in I find it really unlikely they'll survive long enough to give us Maracanazo 2.0
    Argentina always walks into world cups boasting, but in the end they fizzle for the very simple reason that their soccer culture praises individual performance way too highly. Last world cup was all about Maradona and his protege Messi, and that exploded in their face. I don't see that mentality being any different now. OH god, and can we also talk about their culture of always going the extra mile in exclaiming to everyone how they're the best and will win and they're so good that maradona is god and ... etc etc. Such a pedantic attitude, it's a reason why most of latin america dreams of argentina losing so they can just shut up.
    And then Brazil actually has a fair shot, but to me that's the most boring conclusion possible given Brazilian soccer has been anything but impressive in the past decade or so.

So basically, the teams from South America I would enjoy winning are nowhere near the level to win it, unless by fluke, and the ones that can achieve that level I doubt would win it due to their own shortcomings, and I also personally dislike them. Brazil has a fair shot of winning, a very real one (especially if we acknowledge the elephant in the room that is corruption and the possibility of fixed matches) but I really don't want them to win it, unless they show from early on that they do deserve it by merit of their skill.
    I think you're selling some of these teams short tbh.

Especially Uruguay.

Despite what the English media may claim, Englnad have a very average team.

It's England that I can't see getting out of the group stages ahead of Uruguay and Italy.

Argentina sound a bit like the England of South America from the way you describe it lol.

Brazil have indeed had a bit of a slump in the last decade or so. Now's the time for guys like Neymar to establish a new generation of Brazilian excellence.
    "Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!" - Auron

You also have to take in account that phenomenon that teams have of playing better when in a their field or a familiar one. I think it plays an important factor. I guess, i don't know. Also, Captain Ugly told me where Brazil is so im totally prepared for this.

Eh, Neymar is an overhyped nobody. They need a second coming of Ronaldo. And no, I'm not talking about Ronaldinho Gaucho or Christiano Ronaldo. I mean the 1990s superstar Ronaldo.
    In Loving Memory of Toraish, Rex Avium: http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t=40786 | 3DS Friend Code: 3196-4274-7836

Quote Originally Posted by Dryish View Post
    Eh, Neymar is an overhyped nobody. They need a second coming of Ronaldo. And no, I'm not talking about Ronaldinho Gaucho or Christiano Ronaldo. I mean the 1990s superstar Ronaldo.
    Hey, i remember that one! Fuck, i'm old.

I also have the very slight hope, the very impossible hope, that Uruguay goes far just for the sake of a second Maracanazo. I would love that SOO MUCH.
    Same here. Though I don't mind if Uruguay wins against someone else in the finals, I just want them to do well. Wouldn't be surprised if we don't get to the finals, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Dryish View Post
    Wait, they're held with a different schedule? I was under the impression that they were later the same year... e_e

Memory playing tricks with me, never mind. I even followed the headlines pretty closely back then because our national team's players were blogging about it a lot.
    lol

but did you watch the women's world cup though? it was awesome.
    FMA 03> FMA Brotherhood

Gonna throw some random predictions.
    Last time i actually got half of the groups, half of the knockout stages, the final and the winner right.

Group A: Brazil; Croatia
    Group B: Spain, Netherlands
    Group C: Japan, Greece
    Group D: Uruguay; England
    Group E: France, Switzerland
    Group F: Argentina; Nigeria
    Group G: Germany, Portugal
    Group H: Belgium; Russia

Knockouts:
    Brazil vs Netherlands: Brazil
    Japan vs England: England
    France vs Nigeria: France
    Germany Vs Russia: Germany
    Croatia vs Spain: Spain
    Uruguay Vs Greece: Uruguay
    Argentina Vs Switzerland: Argentina
    Belgium vs Portugal: Portugal

Brazil Vs England: Brazil
    France Vs Germany: Germany
    Spain Vs Uruguay: Uruguay
    Argentina Vs Portugal: Argentina

Brazil vs Germany: Germany
    Uruguay Vs Argentina: Uruguay

Brazil Vs Argentine: Brazil

Germany Vs Uruguay: Germany

And tomorrow i´m going to review this, because it seems way too obvious.

Group C is not exactly that straight-forward. Colombia is the head of the group for a reason, only falling short of Argentina in the south american eliminations. Likewise, Cote d'Ivoire has been in the past a fairly strong African team and I believe they made it to the second round last time they went to the world cup (2006.)

Not that it matters though, since Group C winners face the combo of England, Italy or Uruguay, but still.
    Last edited by Noqanky; June 6th, 2014 at 08:54 PM. Reason: also, I can also boast predicting the entire 2010 cup.

edit: nevermind me
    Last edited by Huon; June 7th, 2014 at 08:01 AM.
    "We are brethren of the monastery called The World, where folk grow hungry"

Making group predictions, that sounds fun!

Group A: Brazil, Croatia, Mexico, Cameroon
    Group B: Spain, Netherlands, Chile, Australia
    Group C: Colombia, Japan, Ivory Coast, Greece
    Group D: Uruguay, Costa Rica, England, Italy
    Group E: Switzerland, Ecuador, France, Honduras
    Group F: Argentina, Bosnia, Iran, Nigeria
    Group G: Germany, Ghana, Portugal, USA
    Group H: Belgium, Algeria, Russia, Korean Republic
    Just copy+paste if you want to join the fun. As for my predictions

Group A: Brazil, Croatia, Mexico, Cameroon
    Group C: Columbia, Japan, Ivory Coast, Greece
    Last edited by Enzeru; June 7th, 2014 at 02:42 AM.

It's Colombia you guys, Colombia. With an o. Huge pet peeve.

but yea, without putting too much research into it, here's mine:

Group A: Brazil, Croatia, México, Cameroon

Thanks for the correction, Noqanky. Edited it.

I just saw these articles and thought I'd share them. Ribery won't be participating in the World Cup and Germany's Marco Reus might have to drop out as well.
    http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/y=...r-2355681.html
    http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/y=...p-2355377.html

Ribery not playing will hit France's team hard I'm afraid. And personally too I'm sad to see him stay home. Such a shame...
    Last edited by Enzeru; June 7th, 2014 at 05:51 AM.

It's Colombia you guys, Colombia. With an o. Huge pet peeve.

but yea, without putting too much research into it, here's mine:

And here is mine
    Group H:Belgium, Algeria, Russia, Korean Republic

Almost the same..almost.
    Last edited by C_uggs; June 7th, 2014 at 08:07 AM.
    When AP used to be good:

NEVER FORGET !!

Group C is not exactly that straight-forward. Colombia is the head of the group for a reason, only falling short of Argentina in the south american eliminations. Likewise, Cote d'Ivoire has been in the past a fairly strong African team and I believe they made it to the second round last time they went to the world cup (2006.)

Not that it matters though, since Group C winners face the combo of England, Italy or Uruguay, but still.
    I know. That´s actually the group i had more difficulties deciding.
    I don´t really trust Colombia´s defence and central midfield, especially in the defensive area. I also don´t see any of the strikers having a good tournament, even though they have enough talent.

Greece always finds a way to go through, and i trust Japan for some reason

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ugly View Post
    And here is mine
    Group H:Belgium, Algeria, Russia, Korean Republic

Almost the same..almost.
    Iran?

@SpaceCowboy: Well, I have a strong regards towards Middle East soccer.
    And also I don´t know about Bosnia, if they play soccer like Croatia or Serbia, they might win. About Nigeria, they are not the strongest african team in this world cup.
    When AP used to be good:

NEVER FORGET !!

Well, for a long time they had the best attack in the qualifiers, but eventually over surpassed by Germany and Netherlands (which is not such a bad thing).
    Their group wasn´t really that strong, and i think a strong defence can easily shut their attack.
    Good goalkeeper. Average defence.

In theory Croatia is stronger in my opinion, but most people disagree with me.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information