Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Finals Discussion Thread

Default Re: Semi-Finals Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jabra View Post
    All this Jinbe overestimation. Feels like I'm trapped im some weird twilight zone!

Doflamingo would like to have a word with anyone who claims that character X will have an easy tournament win.
    Dofla lost largely because people wanted to give Noland a chance in the spotlight that he'd probably never get again. But I doubt that will propel Noland to being champion, especially with most of his supporters preferring Jinbe. So yeah, I don't think that can be applied to any other matches this year, except maybe Zoro vs NOland

Quote Originally Posted by Aaronrules380 View Post
    The noland vs Dofla match was close enough that the substantial amount of people who said they'd vote for Noland because Dofla would have another chance and Noland wouldn't (essentially pity votes IMO) made the difference
    That's not pity voting, though. Pity voting only involves voting for someone whom you assume, against better knowledge and based solely on unfactual assumptions, to lose for sure. And the longer a match lasts, the less likely it becomes that people will keep pity voting and thus cause an unexpected result because there will be more and more people posting stuff like "only X votes, we can do this!" or "I can't believe this match is so close, go Y!".

Selecting Noland in a situation where his character was briefly brought up as a minor side element in the story and that made many people remember how much they originally liked him is not really pity voting. It's a totally valid reason for choosing him. Not to mention the fact that more people started voting him because some people got together and actually made it appealing to join that group for fun.

You're just sour because Dofla lost, really. That's honestly fair and there's nothing wrong about that - I kind of am too - but calling people out for things they didn't do out of frustration is not really very reasonable. It's not something we want to watch when the tournament's all about having fun in a quirky way. We are not a fully-fledged popularity contest, after all.
    In Loving Memory of Toraish, Rex Avium: http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t=40786 | 3DS Friend Code: 3196-4274-7836

I don't really care about either of these matches to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Toraish View Post
    That's not pity voting, though. Pity voting only involves voting for someone whom you assume, against better knowledge and based solely on unfactual assumptions, to lose for sure. And the longer a match lasts, the less likely it becomes that people will keep pity voting and thus cause an unexpected result because there will be more and more people posting stuff like "only X votes, we can do this!" or "I can't believe this match is so close, go Y!".

Selecting Noland in a situation where his character was briefly brought up as a minor side element in the story and that made many people remember how much they originally liked him is not really pity voting. It's a totally valid reason for choosing him. Not to mention the fact that more people started voting him because some people got together and actually made it appealing to join that group for fun.

You're just sour because Dofla lost, really. That's honestly fair and there's nothing wrong about that - I kind of am too - but calling people out for things they didn't do out of frustration is not really very reasonable. It's not something we want to watch when the tournament's all about having fun in a quirky way. We are not a fully-fledged popularity contest, after all.
    It is a type of pity voting in my opinion though, albeit a different type than the one you described. If you're only votying for a character because you think they'll never have another chance, that constitutes pity in my opinion

Voting for Brook and Zoro,but as long as Jinbei doesn't win it all,I'll be happy.

Honestly, I feel like the tournament's been pretty boring in general in the later rounds because all the big campaigning forces decided to team up rather than go head to head. It's been super boring when only a few minor campaigners who don't have the time or creativity to support their side are going up against the big ones

Shipmate

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    Will we have more Foxy filler tournament matches?
    Yes. The winners of the previous round will be fighting against each other, probably starting tomorrow.

But I doubt that will propel Noland to being champion, especially with most of his supporters preferring Jinbe.
    All of the guys who have supported NOland this far were bigger jinbe supporters.
    Why are you stating this as if it were some statistical fact and not an assumption?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainAppleJack View Post
    Thanks for bringing back Caesar some way, but that were the most horrible match-ups really. :P
    Caesar. He is precisely why the match-ups are horrible.

At this point, I'm voting Brook since I think he'd at least have a more interesting final match than Jinbe could pull off

It's only pity if that's the emotion compelling them to do that, which clearly was not the case with the majority of his votes. The sentiment was more like, hey this is fun and we might not get a chance to have this kind of fun ever again so let's do it together despite the fact that we'd probably otherwise vote for this other character. People just needed to get that out there to make themselves feel better about their choice that was giving them second thoughts. I wouldn't necessarily count that as pity.

Be that as it may, this is the way that the draws worked this year. It could very well have been that Noland would have faced Jinbe now and all this trouble would have been averted, but that simply wasn't the case. It's kind of really rare that the final matches are the most exciting ones.
    In Loving Memory of Toraish, Rex Avium: http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t=40786 | 3DS Friend Code: 3196-4274-7836

Quote Originally Posted by Silverblade View Post
    Yes. The winners of the previous round will be fighting against each other, probably starting tomorrow.

Why are you stating this as if it were some statistical fact and not an assumption?

Caesar. He is precisely why the match-ups are horrible.
    I was more stating it as a casual observation rather than a fact or assumption honestly

At this point, I'm voting Brook since I think he'd at least have a more interesting final match than Jinbe could pull off
    I kinda disagree. Jinbei vs. Brook was kinda the final I was hoping for, just in terms on how it'd close and entertaining it would be.

I will say this though: Norland is showing up all the flashback characters lol

Quote Originally Posted by MetaMario View Post
    I kinda disagree. Jinbei vs. Brook was kinda the final I was hoping for, just in terms on how it'd close and entertaining it would be.

I will say this though: Norland is showing up all the flashback characters lol
    It might be, but I'd rather the actual final match be more fun, so I'll vote Brook

Shipmate

I was more stating it as a casual observation rather than a fact or assumption honestly
    Not the most accurate way to make estimates? After all, you can observe only the vocal part of the voters, and even this year, when the total audience is smaller, the number voices heard dpesn't directly project the results. Plenty of people who support Jinbe are willing to go for Noland without a second thought.

I still don't fully get the Zoro hate around these parts lol. I'm happy with these match ups though.

Honestly, I feel like the tournament's been pretty boring in general in the later rounds because all the big campaigning forces decided to team up rather than go head to head. It's been super boring when only a few minor campaigners who don't have the time or creativity to support their side are going up against the big ones
    This is a really fair point, actually. I like that you brought it up. My apologies for maybe sounding a little antagonizing, I'm just trying to discuss these things from a different point of view.

It's sometimes hard to see this from an organizer's perspective since we're more or less observing things from a distance, occasionally dipping in to feel the thrill of participating in the matches as individuals with differing preferences. The fact that someone like Jinbe has been able to spawn a giant campaigning conglomerate has been pretty awesome for us to follow since it's unprecedented and very interesting from an analytical standpoint, in addition to being absolutely intoxicating for the people embracing the joint efforts. We've been quite thrilled about the way how this tournament has gone - even more than usually because we all want to see a friend in Jabra get the glory that he deserves in the end.

But for someone who doesn't really enjoy the Jinbe train? Yeah, the way that this tournament has unfolded must feel quite dull. There has been remarkably little rivalry or actual competition between fan bases, as marked by the fact that all the villains were dealt with surprisingly early on. Why that is is hard to say, but I think it has a lot to do with several former fervent villainists going AWOL and moving on with their lives, leaving a vacuum that hasn't yet been filled by anyone else. I feel like the tournament might be going through a sort of a transitional phase right now, where most of the old campaigners are either already gone or leaving and new ones are just getting started. It's pretty cool to see how that change will affect the future events.

Regardless, personally and due to my own liking, this tournament has been the most exciting one since the 2010 mega tournament for me. It's a bit sad that it hasn't been that for everyone, but there will be other times.

I actually really like Jinbe, it's just been super boring how little competition there's been in the later rounds

After considering it a lot, i'm team BROOK in the first match

In the second match, i'm a lot more undecided, the two I've been supporting the most this tournament, are going up against each other

Leaning towards Norland though

I like all these characters. Like, a whole lot. This will be rather hard.

Still, I am positively tickled by the idea of Noland winning. So there you go.

I actually really like Jinbe, it's just been super boring how little competition there's been in the later rounds
    Well yeah, I don't think we'll be able to outclass 2009's final three rounds any time soon. Last year's final was pretty awesome, but even then the matches before that were kind of lackluster. And 2010 that I was talking about? Whitebeard pretty much cruised to an easy victory as a result of him being so awesome in the manga that year.

But well, at least we had moments like Jinbe vs. Luffy this year that kind of make it feel less aggravating. I know I'll be able to grin and send a virtual pat on the back to Jabra when the final match closes and Jinbe reigns supreme.

*knocks on wood*

I'll vote for Jinbe in both semi-finals.

Thread Information