+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Legend of the Galactic Heroes

エッチなのはいけないと思います! Malintex_Terek's Avatar

Default Legend of the Galactic Heroes

I downloaded this series in 2010 but took forever to start it up. Suddenly (kek?), I'm at like Episode 60. I'm not convinced it's Top 1 anime material yet but it's really freaking good and I have high hopes that the remaining fifty episodes will blow my brains harder than the first sixty did.

I know this was like Holy's favourite series. Who else has challenged this masterpiece of a marathon and lived to become all the wiser?
    MUV-LUV ALTERNATIVE
    Making Anime and Manga OBSOLETE since 2006
    PM me for details

Default Re: Legend of the Galactic Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by Malintex_Terek View Post
    I downloaded this series in 2010 but took forever to start it up. Suddenly (kek?), I'm at like Episode 60. I'm not convinced it's Top 1 anime material yet but it's really freaking good and I have high hopes that the remaining fifty episodes will blow my brains harder than the first sixty did.

I know this was like Holy's favourite series. Who else has challenged this masterpiece of a marathon and lived to become all the wiser?
    I keep hearing so many good things about this.

I'm gonna start it up too.
    if you want to check out my game progress: http://soggybreadgm.tumblr.com/

This series is the greatest anime I have ever seen.

It tackles some of the grandest themes it could tackle and does so in a mature and reserved way.It has a majestically grand scope and gigantic cast of great characters.

Though I can personally understand how some might not be able to get into it,seeing how 80% of it is dudes talking about politics and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by pyromonki View Post
    I'm gonna start it up too.
    Many say that An Overture to a New War should be seen instead of first two episodes.

One advice,watch the gaiden series before attacking the original series.It gives some useful informations on the background reinhard von lohengramm(musel at the time)and yang wen li.You can know about their youth,their military achievements that got them to where they are at the beginning of the main series and all the struggles they went through.
    LOGH is an awesome series with some awesome characters(and a diversity of characters)and great story development,it's a must see in the space opera genre.

Well I personally found the first Gaiden not that great,especially compared to the main series.

Okay, I just finished Episode 2, and I didn't ask for those feels.

But how in the hell is losing over 1 MILLION people a victory? Because they held a line?

Are they insane?

That said, I can respect the fallen commanders' logic of why they didn't abandon their fleets, but I'm not sure how much respect weighs in comparison to keeping your troops alive.

I tried putting myself in their shoes and just the thought of making that decision gutted me.

But how in the hell is losing over 1 MILLION people a victory? Because they held a line?

Are they insane?
    That's because the ruler of the alliance job trunicht is an incompetent dishonest opportunist
    PS:1 million is not that high of a number in the world of logh,the battle of astrate was just a skirmish when you compare it to the battles to come and some that have taken place in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Malintex_Terek View Post
    I know this was like Holy's favourite series.
    That's me! that's my thing!

I'm a real big fan and even read the novels. I know the animation is relatively sparse and it's directed in a rather... playwright sort of style lot of the time? But yeah it's so fucking good and there's so little else like it out there in anime, or TV in general. Definitely the biggest influence on some of my taste.
    Last edited by Pochipochi; October 7th, 2013 at 07:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sander View Post
    Well I personally found the first Gaiden not that great,especially compared to the main series.
    Maybe they don't match the greatness of the main series(that's to be expected),but they give a lot of answers and complementary infos on the past of our 2 heroes.They helped me quell my frustration after I finished the main series.

Also they are great in terms of picture quality.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Hell View Post
    That's me! that's my thing!

I'm a real big fan and even read the light novels. I know the animation is relatively sparse and it's directed in a rather... playwright sort of style lot of the time? But yeah it's so fucking good and there's so little else like it out there in anime, or TV in general. Definitely the biggest influence on some of my taste.
    Is it available in english and .epub or .mobi format?

What impresses even more about LOTGH is all the famous CVs who participated in it. There's a huge number CVs with famous roles that anyone with a breadth of anime experience would have seen at some point, so it becomes a sort of all-star ensemble to me. At the same time, there are many CVs without many roles who faded away, but they still had 15 minutes of fame contributing to this story.

From early in the series I've been a major Reinhard fan, although my favourite character overall is probably Olberstein. He's a complex but not conflicted character, in stark contrast to Kircheis but no less immutable. Kircheis is way up there too. My least favourite character is Frederica Greenhill. Everything about her creeps me out - her age, how she met up with Yang, how it influenced Yang's friend to try and set up his elementary school daughter with Julian...and her attitude as of the latest few episodes. She's hardly a soldier in my eyes. She's like a possessive groupie.

Hilda is interesting to me because she's like a clone of Frederica on the Imperial side, at least in appearance and role. But their personalities and thinking patterns couldn't be more different. As a result, I like Hilda way more than Frederica. Though, that isn't saying much because I hate Frederica.

My hopes:

Spoiler:
    Yang goes tyrant, Julian replaces Kircheis as Reinhard's second in command.

What I think will happen

Spoiler:
    Julian kills Reinhard in the end.
    MUV-LUV ALTERNATIVE
    PM me for details

Oberstein is also my favorite character, amongst a lot of wonderful ones that are close. Plus he has a dog. He's a dog guy. Gotta love Oberstein.

Yang is a real obvious second. I know everyone loves Yang but he's so great.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by keizerking View Post
    Is it available in english and .epub or .mobi format?
    Probably not, unfortunately. I actually own the books irl.

Spoiler:
    I actually disliked Yang a lot because of how he could never lose to anyone. He never made mistakes and accurately predicted the enemy's movements and tactics, and his traps were always successful. The only reason the Alliance even lost was because of other people undermining Yang's efforts or getting killed off at bad times. It annoyed me how Yang would predict everything, then bemoan how helpless he was to stop the events around him because of his principles or the system in place.

Similarly, in this current arc where Yang's married, I dislike how he's trying to undermine the Lohengramm Dynasty. His views - that the worst democracy is better than the best dictatorship, and he's actively working to insight war when Reinhard's doing a great job managing his country. Granted, Reinhard's kindness is probably setting in motion the regime's turmoil, in how he wasn't ruthless enough with his subordinates and they of lesser quality than himself are screwing things up.
    MUV-LUV ALTERNATIVE
    PM me for details

Lurking since 2007... Nidhoeggr's Avatar

Somehow I never continued past episode 2. Maybe it is because I am so busy with politics irl as well. In any case, a brilliant start.
    If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. - Sun Tzu, The Art Of War

Are they insane?
    Those kinds of casualties are par for the course for major battles here.

Oh and if you are liking it that much already,then you might be massively impressed down the line.

Oh and yes,I love Yang,he's my favorite.

You could just take some of your 'awesome' ideologist schoolboy animu hero protags and lock them up in a room with him and have them talk with him on politics and stuff and their brains will explode from too much sense.

I'm also among those who don't hate Oberstein.He's a total bastard and sinister manipulating villain,but he never does any of what he does in self-interest and...he is actually right most of the time.All of which makes him a controversial and interesting character.

You know you made a great character when people are arguing over his merits and qualities decades after your story is finished.

Hunter X Hunter X Hunter JarmenKell's Avatar

Is this series available in English in any form other than anime subs?

Lurking since 2007... Nidhoeggr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JarmenKell View Post
    Is this series available in English in any form other than anime subs?
    Nope, the only Western release parts of this series got was a French dub for a single movie afaik.
    If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. - Sun Tzu, The Art Of War

aaaaand it's so damn niche and expensive(apparently),that it's unlikely that a licensed LotGH will ever happen.

LOTGH's window for opportunity in the West has past. With how the demographics have changed, and the apparent intellect of children as perceived by marketing and writers lowered, you'd never see a series like this stay on air long enough or be run with enough frequency to capture an audience.

I think back to Gundam Wing when it aired on Toonami in 1999. For elementary schoolers, it was a huge eye-opener of a show, having access to something that debated politics seriously, had people near age fighting in wars, and the lack of a clear good-evil distinction. There was a huge contrast to what we learned in history class to what we watched on TV, and Wing blurred the black and white. It was only aired once, but it was immensely popular even though it was a "bad" Gundam show. At the time, nothing else was like it on TV with easy access to kids. That's still the case now, but the opportunity cost of watching something like Wing would be...SpongeBob SquarePants. No longer is there a venue on TV that can capture the un0divided attention of children.
    MUV-LUV ALTERNATIVE
    PM me for details

LotGH can be a tough sell to most audiences in general,even to the anime watching ones(hell in some respects,especially to anime watching ones)

It's old,long,slow and very...restrainted.It absolutely lacks any of the flashiness that people have come to expect from anime. Add in the fact that most of it is comprised of dialogue about politics and power and you get something that simply doesn't have mass market appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by Sander View Post
    LotGH can be a tough sell to most audiences in general,even to the anime watching ones(hell in some respects,especially to anime watching ones)

It's old,long,slow and very...restrainted.It absolutely lacks any of the flashiness that people have come to expect from anime. Add in the fact that most of it is comprised of dialogue about politics and power and you get something that simply doesn't have mass market appeal.
    I love this kinda shit, it doesn't feel slow to me at all. I may be only on episode 10, but I've been enjoying the ride.

I kinda feel like you're underestimating the power of good writing, I could see this show holding it's own on toonami, but the dubbing would actually have to be spectacular on all bases. I know as a kid I was in love with Robotech and it didn't have the battles were pretty spaced out if I remember correctly.

I could be wrong though, since people actually like Sword Art Online.

As for my thoughts so far, Yang is freaking awesome, and Reinhard is also pretty cool too. Siegfried feels a little "lifeless" and stale, his face is kinda annoying because of that. But I can't say I don't like him. Just emote damn it.

I also love those "I'm gonna ravish you" eyes he makes at Reinhard's sister. She bad tho.

Side Note: Is every old admiral in this series a complete waste of space? Get your shit together please.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information