+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 71

Thread: Legend of the Galactic Heroes

  1. #41

    Default Re: Legend of the Galactic Heroes

    Quote Originally Posted by Malintex_Terek View Post
    Hypothetical situation: Sunrise decides to remake Cowboy Bebop. How do people respond?

    For those who think Bebop is a masterpiece, they'll be meh if it's good or bad. There's no way it'll surpass the original, which they'd show to their friends anyway. For new audiences, they might fail to see what's the big deal. The remake effectively has no audience among prior fans, both to share or to re-experience, so it's going to be catered to the current demographics, and that's where I see the recipe for failure.

    You can make good remakes, even super long series - HxH 2011 shows that - as well as keep it CGI free. But Madhouse is kind of the exception to the rule, and they've only managed by farming out almost all the work to Korea. But the original HxH anime wasn't considered a masterpiece, so old fans were open to the remake. Look at what happened with FMA v. Brotherhood for the opposite scenario of a popular franchise having some sharply divided fans, with the manga ending not helping things. Or when GR - Giant Robo came out as a "re-imaging" of the original manga versus the people who came to know GR through Giant Robo the Animation.

    All in all, I think a remake of the series - while good for the original author - is otherwise a conservative effort to milk a recognizable franchise, rather than a nod to fans or a series effort to cultivate new fans. And given the esteem and influence of the OVA there isn't a ton of room to improve.
    You're absolutely correct when you say that it has a lot to live up to. Especially so when LotGH's fanbase is known for being somewhat elitist. Any and all deviations from the OVA's will be recieved poorly by these fans. Hell, the makers of this new LotGH are already trying to distance themselves from the old anime, explicitly stating that this is not a remake of that. I'm sure that even something as minor as soundtrack not being classical will be seen as sacrilage (and it will be, it ain't my Long German Names In Space without ships exploding to Dvorak, goddamnit) .

    However, I'd still like to point out one counter-example where they genuinely did succeed in both pleasing the old fans and reeling in some new ones. Coincidentally, it is also a remake of an old space opera. However, I'm not going to equate Space Battleship Yamato 2119's percieved success to this case because there are noticable differences. For one thing, the properties don't have the same baggage attached and Yamato had been remade numerous times up to that point, for another thing, the makers of Yamato 2119 tried goddamn best to replicate the feel of the anime that people remembered, whereas, as I've already mentioned, LotGH 201? is already distancing itself from the OVA series.

  2. #42
    Shipmate
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Lithuania, Visaginas>Vilnius

    Default Re: Legend of the Galactic Heroes

    What is there to worry about: either we see a classic epic reimagined, or a pinnacle of terribad established.

    Beng sceptical is fine, but where will that lead you to eventually? Definitely not a nice place. Especially if don't see enough chances to improve the series. Take the most obvious complaint for example. Katerose, Hildegard, Frederica, and Annerose. Four memorable female characters against the space empire of man. Add some variety, and you already have a vastly superior Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

  3. #43
    エッチなのはいけないと思います! Malintex_Terek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005

    Default Re: Legend of the Galactic Heroes

    Quote Originally Posted by Sander View Post
    However, I'd still like to point out one counter-example where they genuinely did succeed in both pleasing the old fans and reeling in some new ones. Coincidentally, it is also a remake of an old space opera. However, I'm not going to equate Space Battleship Yamato 2119's percieved success to this case because there are noticable differences. For one thing, the properties don't have the same baggage attached and Yamato had been remade numerous times up to that point, for another thing, the makers of Yamato 2119 tried goddamn best to replicate the feel of the anime that people remembered, whereas, as I've already mentioned, LotGH 201? is already distancing itself from the OVA series.
    I still have to watch that, but I'm skeptical that there's so many old fans as one would think. It seems more like the retro feel endeared a lot of newer fans and only older fans with an open mind bothered to watch. The remakes of the Mazinger series for example split audiences but all Mazinger fans tuned in.

    Quote Originally Posted by Silverblade View Post
    Take the most obvious complaint for example. Katerose, Hildegard, Frederica, and Annerose. Four memorable female characters against the space empire of man. Add some variety, and you already have a vastly superior Legend of the Galactic Heroes.
    I...I have no idea what you are talking about.
    MUV-LUV ALTERNATIVE
    Making Anime and Manga OBSOLETE since 2006
    PM me for details

  4. #44

    Default Re: Legend of the Galactic Heroes

    This is gonna be one hell of a movie


  5. #45

    Default Re: Legend of the Galactic Heroes

    I don't understand why they decided to re adapt it,the original's picture quality is still decent by today's standards(unlike yamato 2199).
    But anyways it's still a great news,the best sci fi anime ever is getting a re adaptation,why would i complain.

  6. #46

    Default Re: Legend of the Galactic Heroes

    Quote Originally Posted by x20a View Post
    This is gonna be one hell of a movie

    http://i.imgur.com/nivpkG2.gif
    Ah, I think you got the wrong galactic heroes.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Quote Originally Posted by Silverblade View Post
    What is there to worry about: either we see a classic epic reimagined, or a pinnacle of terribad established.

    Beng sceptical is fine, but where will that lead you to eventually? Definitely not a nice place. Especially if don't see enough chances to improve the series. Take the most obvious complaint for example. Katerose, Hildegard, Frederica, and Annerose. Four memorable female characters against the space empire of man. Add some variety, and you already have a vastly superior Legend of the Galactic Heroes.
    Another way in which the show can be improved is, oddly enough, the space battles.

    Everybody and their granny complains about the goddamn space battles when they watch the show.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    http://thecartdriver.com/6-ways-a-re...lactic-heroes/
    I fully agree with him on point number 4.

    Spoiling narrator really needed to shut up for a bit at times.

    Also I know it's a joke, but if it does end up looking anything like the picture he put up, heads are gonna roll. Seriously, they better damn not try to "modern up" the character designs.
    Last edited by Sander; February 14th, 2014 at 05:32 AM.

  7. #47

    Default Re: Legend of the Galactic Heroes

    A reminder that Legend of the Galactic Heroes is a fantastic, if a bit daunting series and you should totally give this epic saga a go.

  8. #48

  9. #49
    Discovered Stowaway Kaizou 10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Somewhere in Planet Earth

    Default Re: Legend of the Galactic Heroes

    Here is the first chapter for Fujisaki Ryuu's (author of Houshin Engi and Shiki) Legend of the Galactic Heroes comicalization: http://bato.to/reader#23b52479e1dd93bd

  10. #50

    Default Re: Legend of the Galactic Heroes

    Well, I hae all 110 episodes downloaded. Now, when do I make time to watch this behemoth?

  11. #51

    Default Re: Legend of the Galactic Heroes

    Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Well, I hae all 110 episodes downloaded. Now, when do I make time to watch this behemoth?
    That is like asking when someone would have time to watch or read Nausicaa Valley of the Wind for the first time? Its something you can't miss because how enjoyable it will be, Legends is really easy to get into though, I got hooked in it for less than 3 episodes because strength of its storytelling and characters.

    It is 1980's anime so its very classical anime style but after a while you wouldn't have it any other way.

  12. #52
    Just Legendary LegendarySSJ4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Somewhere close by

    Default Re: Legend of the Galactic Heroes

    Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Well, I hae all 110 episodes downloaded. Now, when do I make time to watch this behemoth?
    You're in for a real treat Rob, this is easily one of the best anime of all time.

  13. #53

    Default Re: Legend of the Galactic Heroes

    i have to agree with them. it has it all...

    intriguing stories
    epic space battles
    a great soundtrack (including some classical pieces)

    and even the first opening is beyond words


    NintendoID: Zodiark14

  14. #54
    Aspiring Film Critic TLC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Malta

    Default Re: Legend of the Galactic Heroes

    I've watched 10 episodes of this.

    This is...amazing...
    Check out my tumblr for my thoughts on random movies and manga^^

    http://lion-kun.tumblr.com/

  15. #55

    Default Re: Legend of the Galactic Heroes

    I want to watch. But I also want to watch Jojo. And the Yamato remake. And Turn A gundam. And the new Lupin III series. And, and... so much stuff!

  16. #56

    Default Re: Legend of the Galactic Heroes

    Whats the Yamato remake?
    Let the beat build bitch

  17. #57

    Default Re: Legend of the Galactic Heroes

    Quote Originally Posted by They call me D View Post
    Whats the Yamato remake?
    Space Battleship Yamato 2199. (Known in the US as Starblazers)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_...ip_Yamato_2199
    They tightened up teh story and updated the animation a couple years ago, its bene on my "to watch" list for a solid two years now. (though to be fair it took a little while to track it down at all.) Once I really hunker down and start on it I'll get through it. But its hard to balance with work and games and books and other shows and girlfriend....

  18. #58

    Default Re: Legend of the Galactic Heroes

    Ahhh I thought that was it. On some of the streaming sites they uploaded a whole bunch of those. I watched a few, unfortunately it was a bit too dated for me. It's probably not quite what you were talking about though, maybe it was just the very original series slightly remastered.
    Let the beat build bitch

  19. #59

    Default Re: Legend of the Galactic Heroes

    Quote Originally Posted by They call me D View Post
    Ahhh I thought that was it. On some of the streaming sites they uploaded a whole bunch of those. I watched a few, unfortunately it was a bit too dated for me. It's probably not quite what you were talking about though, maybe it was just the very original series slightly remastered.
    The 2013 version looks modern. You would know if it was the 70's version or not.


  20. #60

    Default Re: Legend of the Galactic Heroes

    Yeah, I think 2199 isn't up for streaming even. The only official release I know is that discontinued overpriced BD release by Voyager.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts