+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Legend of the Galactic Heroes

Default Re: Legend of the Galactic Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by pyromonki View Post
    Side Note: Is every old admiral in this series a complete waste of space? Get your shit together please.
    That's actually one of the things I could see this show criticised for,but later on you will see that some of the older guys are actually pretty damn competent and tough.

Okay, I got to episode 26. And I might have to take a break from this grade A bullshit.
    Spoiler:

You motherfuckers are gonna kill Seigfried? And then leave Oberstein to use his death as a tool? NO. NO. NO. NO.

I'm beyond mad. It's too soon. ;_;
    if you want to check out my game progress: http://soggybreadgm.tumblr.com/

If only
    Hidden:
    Kircheis
    were here

I kinda lost motivation to watch the show after
    Spoiler:
    Kircheis
    died... I really liked his charecter and how he affected rest of imperial cast.

The Man Who Sold the World Dumhuvud's Avatar

Better buckle up then, because he's far from the last major character to die.
    Last edited by Dumhuvud; October 25th, 2013 at 06:03 AM.

Discovered Stowaway Sparsebeard's Avatar

True fact. The reason I first got into One Piece was with the anime because I found Dvorak 9th's 4th movement so awesome in LOGH (The empire's-counter attack...) that I googled it and I saw that the same movement was used in One piece (Crocrodile getting his ass kicked) I just knew I had to check it up...

エッチなのはいけないと思います! Malintex_Terek's Avatar

It was really popular to use in anime for many years. It was practically the theme of Space Pirate Captain Harlock. Just check out the Arcadia of My Youth theatrical trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=983Jy-kYOf0

Actually, I think Toei in particular loved using it.
    MUV-LUV ALTERNATIVE
    Making Anime and Manga OBSOLETE since 2006
    PM me for details

Discovered Stowaway Sparsebeard's Avatar

I guess it's the combinaison of being free of right and being awesome, you don't need peter jackson for great soundtrack.

I had noticed that there was quite a bit of classical in anime, however, didn't knew Dvorak was used a lot.

Watched this 2 years ago i think, lol just spent my semester break watching this and not doing much other than that

Not many animes out there that engaged me intellectually to this extent

Wait a minute, by "not a remake", this means like how HxH 2011 is not a remake of HxH 1999? It's not another side-story, is it?

I...I HAVE TO BE SURE BEFORE I EXPLODE.

E: Yes, it's a re-adaptation...

THEY BETTER NOT FUCK THIS UP THEY BETTER NOT FUCK THIS UP THEY BETTER NOT FUCK THIS UP THEY BETTER FUCK THIS UP THEY BETTER NOT FUCK THIS UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUP

Seriously, they better not.

Lurking since 2007... Nidhoeggr's Avatar

Get hype, guys.
    Mushishi, Jojo, Ping Pong, Gundam Origin, Sailor Moon and now this... 2014 is good to us.
    If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. - Sun Tzu, The Art Of War

I don't know how I will handle Oberstein and Yang having different voices, since their original VAs are dead

On the other hand, it will be nice seeing Norio Wakamoto go back to a role that isn't over the top hammy for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by Sander View Post
    THEY BETTER NOT FUCK THIS UP THEY BETTER NOT FUCK THIS UP THEY BETTER NOT FUCK THIS UP THEY BETTER FUCK THIS UP THEY BETTER NOT FUCK THIS UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUP

It's already doomed to fail.
    MUV-LUV ALTERNATIVE
    PM me for details

i only got into this series awhile ago and im surprised they're a new adaptation. my only concern is how they are going to handle the space battles.
    NintendoID: Zodiark14

Wait a minute, by "not a remake", this means like how HxH 2011 is not a remake of HxH 1999? It's not another side-story, is it?

I...I HAVE TO BE SURE BEFORE I EXPLODE.

E: Yes, it's a re-adaptation...

Why would you care if they fuck it up? The OVA is already brilliant enough.
    It depends on what their aim is. If they try to appeal to the new generation of anime fans, it is bound to fail like Terek said.

Quote Originally Posted by MiyamotoMusashi View Post
    Why would you care if they fuck it up? The OVA is already brilliant enough.
    The same can be said of any remake or any new adaptation, yet people still hold certain expectations when it comes to them.

You are right in that it can't tarnish the OVA, but I don't want any take on LotGH's main storyline to exist that isn't downright great.

The same can be said of any remake or any new adaptation, yet people still hold certain expectations when it comes to them.

You are right in that it can't tarnish the OVA, but I don't want any take on LotGH's main storyline to exist that isn't downright great.
    Hypothetical situation: Sunrise decides to remake Cowboy Bebop. How do people respond?

For those who think Bebop is a masterpiece, they'll be meh if it's good or bad. There's no way it'll surpass the original, which they'd show to their friends anyway. For new audiences, they might fail to see what's the big deal. The remake effectively has no audience among prior fans, both to share or to re-experience, so it's going to be catered to the current demographics, and that's where I see the recipe for failure.

You can make good remakes, even super long series - HxH 2011 shows that - as well as keep it CGI free. But Madhouse is kind of the exception to the rule, and they've only managed by farming out almost all the work to Korea. But the original HxH anime wasn't considered a masterpiece, so old fans were open to the remake. Look at what happened with FMA v. Brotherhood for the opposite scenario of a popular franchise having some sharply divided fans, with the manga ending not helping things. Or when GR - Giant Robo came out as a "re-imaging" of the original manga versus the people who came to know GR through Giant Robo the Animation.

All in all, I think a remake of the series - while good for the original author - is otherwise a conservative effort to milk a recognizable franchise, rather than a nod to fans or a series effort to cultivate new fans. And given the esteem and influence of the OVA there isn't a ton of room to improve.
    MUV-LUV ALTERNATIVE
    PM me for details

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information