+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 491

Thread: Water 7 Arc- Toonami Talkback

  1. #81

    Default Re: Water 7 Arc- Toonami Talkback

    Quote Originally Posted by gyarados View Post
    I think that the rating issues comes from starting the show 200+ episodes in. The reason Water 7/Enies Lobby were so great and had emotional impact was because we actually cared about the characters and had been with them for so many episodes. By jumping in and losing out on all of the backstory, it's not that surprising why people aren't able to easily relate to and care for the characters
    This. Until the next batch of consecutive fighting episodes, no one's gonna care about the rest of it because these characters mean absolutely nothing to anyone who isn't already an OP fan.

    It's pretty much exactly what everyone had dreaded once they heard that Toonami made this decision to start 200+ eps in. I expect the next drop might be when Sogeking debuts because unfamiliars already seem to dislike Usopp since they lack the crucial context of the past 200 episodes. So when he shows up as the epic-as-fuck Sogeking, all they'll see is cornball Usopp being even more annoying. Goddammit.

    I fear for OP's survival on Toonami guys, I really really do.


    ~ They got the moves like Jagger ~

  2. #82
    Shipmate Lord Starfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    The middle of nowhere

    Default Re: Water 7 Arc- Toonami Talkback

    Quote Originally Posted by gyarados View Post
    I think that the rating issues comes from starting the show 200+ episodes in. The reason Water 7/Enies Lobby were so great and had emotional impact was because we actually cared about the characters and had been with them for so many episodes. By jumping in and losing out on all of the backstory, it's not that surprising why people aren't able to easily relate to and care for the characters
    Consider that there was half a year's worth of episodes aired before they got to Water 7 though. Yeah, the Davy Back Fight and Ocean's Dream might have been fairly weak arcs overall, but at least starting off on some more lighthearted arcs would give newcomers some chance to get to know the characters somewhat. It's not like Toonami just dropped them right into "OH NO ROBIN DISAPPEARED AND USOPP IS LEAVING THE CREW D:" without any prior character-development whatsoever. Yes, they didn't show their introductions and such, but after two story-arcs, surely the viewers who haven't seen the show would still get something of a feel for who everyone are just through their interactions with each other. Sure, it's far from ideal, but I don't think it's quite as bad as you make it out to be.

  3. #83

    Default Re: Water 7 Arc- Toonami Talkback

    I know this is going to sound stupid, but I really think FUNimation should...

    A-Syndicate the first 200 One Piece episodes

    Or

    B-Ask Jason de Marco for another slot to air the first episodes.

    Or



    Spoiler:
    Ask Saban if he doesnt want to air One Piece on Vortexx. I know, I know. It sounds REALLY stupid, but Water7 Ennies Lobby just CANT have the impact it had on us on a newbie who hasnt seen 200 episodes of One Piece. And Vortexx got better with the Violence/Death thing! I swear!

  4. #84

    Default Re: Water 7 Arc- Toonami Talkback

    Quote Originally Posted by Oathkeeper View Post
    I know this is going to sound stupid, but I really think FUNimation should...

    A-Syndicate the first 200 One Piece episodes

    Or

    B-Ask Jason de Marco for another slot to air the first episodes.
    Why air the early episodes?

    Or



    Spoiler:
    Ask Saban if he doesnt want to air One Piece on Vortexx. I know, I know. It sounds REALLY stupid, but Water7 Ennies Lobby just CANT have the impact it had on us on a newbie who hasnt seen 200 episodes of One Piece. And Vortexx got better with the Violence/Death thing! I swear!
    Spoiler:

    Vortexx got better with the Violence/Death thing! I swear!
    And when did this happen?
    3DS FC: 5069-4533-4529

  5. #85

    Default Re: Water 7 Arc- Toonami Talkback

    I meant that One Piece's ratings are falling because people cant relate to characters 200+ episodes in a series.

  6. #86

    Default Re: Water 7 Arc- Toonami Talkback

    Quote Originally Posted by Oathkeeper View Post
    I meant that One Piece's ratings are falling because people cant relate to characters 200+ episodes in a series.
    I wholeheartedly feel that this is just not the case. I mean, if this REALLY was the case, then how was DBZ able to really capture an audience when there was a whole series before it that laid the ground work? It just did. Hell, I've gotten into many long running titles by watching random episodes in the middle of arcs and so have many of my friends. I've never really known a person that "truly" gets into a long running show from the beginning (most of them just have very tedious beginning eps). If people aren't watching, it's sadly 'cause they just don't care for it. And what do we really have to look forward to in the upcoming eps? Getting away from Aqua Laguna and getting a sea train to pursue Puffing Tom. Tbh, it's gonna be "boring stuff" (to the masses) that works better when marathoning, so I won't be surprised if the low numbers keep up for a while, or if last episode was a fluke, and word of mouth will start bringing people in now that the "enemies" of the arc have faces now. Besides, the Puffing Tom transition arc and EL are coming up, and it'll be just be a bunch of fighting (and even then, we'll be getting those flashback fillers w/ uncut tellings of the characters' backstories)...so the fighting should hopefully quell the masses (idiots) that just want mindless action and no development, and the flashback fillers should be able to help fill in the gaps for those that still haven't seen the series from the beginning, uncut.
    Youtube Channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/devilkicksanji2

    Creator of: Green Green Abridged and DearS Abridged
    Writer and Co-Creator of: Angel Beats! Insanity

  7. #87

    Default Re: Water 7 Arc- Toonami Talkback

    That's also true. I feel that DBZ was just more AKSHUN PAKD For their taste. One Piece relies more on Character Development and buildup and payoffs. Dragon Ball Z was a simple new beginning with new characters and a whole new plotline.

    Actually I think there is something that can Save One Piece on American television for once and for all


    ....NETFLIX.

    Yeah, Netflix. Breaking Bad got HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE after it got on Netflix.

  8. #88

    Default Re: Water 7 Arc- Toonami Talkback

    If you say so. Netflix killed video rental stores...I liked video rental stores. Plus, I'd rather not be tempted to watch an entire series on Netflix and then never bother buying it (I'm a collector, and some surprise w/ new titles is always a perk). I may have seen all of what's currently being released atm, but it was years ago. One other thing...my internet sucks. Netflix video for me macroblocks like hell and took me around 1 hour to barely watch 30 minutes of the pilot to Walking Dead (for example)...so yeah, if it can help OP, more power to it, I suppose...but I'll show support by buying the DVDs and tuning in on Toonami just for the sake of it.
    Youtube Channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/devilkicksanji2

    Creator of: Green Green Abridged and DearS Abridged
    Writer and Co-Creator of: Angel Beats! Insanity

  9. #89

    Default Re: Water 7 Arc- Toonami Talkback

    Precisely, Netflix is not for us. Netflix is for the newbie who wants to binge on old episodes to be more in the know about the current episode that is being broadcast.

  10. #90
    Man with the plan mpz777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Home in the SF Bay Area

    Default Re: Water 7 Arc- Toonami Talkback

    Though this may seem counter-intuitive, I think an additional episode each week would actually be a great benefit for the ratings. The extra half-hour gives viewers more to latch on to each week, and that sightly speeds up the pace of the anime as well. While Toonami probably isn't ready for airing an additional episode every week, there has been a strong interest for it from new fans, at least on twitter from what I've observed.

    I think it's best to see what happens in upcoming weeks now that things are starting to pick up. I think things will look up very soon.
    Current Trophy Rank: Lv 14-37%
    Gambit

    Nintendo ID: MPZ777
    Feel free to friend request me. Just let me know your from AP Forums.

  11. #91

    Default Re: Water 7 Arc- Toonami Talkback

    OH YES! That would be marvelous for the One Piece on Toonami. Maybe when Space Dandy is done. ESPECIALLY since One Piece is relatively less expensive than Naruto or Shippuden.

  12. #92

    Default Re: Water 7 Arc- Toonami Talkback

    How do you know if One Piece is less expensive?

  13. #93

    Default Re: Water 7 Arc- Toonami Talkback

    Because Toonami said Funimation shows are less expensive, why do you think the initial lineup was filled with Funi shows? However the assholes at Toei might be stingy with prices though.

  14. #94
    i like john cena and randy playercena5241's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois

    Default Re: Water 7 Arc- Toonami Talkback

    was their an episode this week.

    NEVER GIVE UP.
    STRAGHT EDGE MEANS I BETTER THAN U.

  15. #95

    Default Re: Water 7 Arc- Toonami Talkback

    Quote Originally Posted by playercena5241 View Post
    was their an episode this week.
    Yeah, last Saturday episode #243 aired.

  16. #96

    Default Re: Water 7 Arc- Toonami Talkback

    Quote Originally Posted by Oathkeeper View Post
    Because Toonami said Funimation shows are less expensive, why do you think the initial lineup was filled with Funi shows? However the assholes at Toei might be stingy with prices though.
    They probably said that because the stuff FUNi usually licenses is mostly inexpensive (Deadman Wonderland, Casshern Sins) or obscure 13-26 episode shows in comparison to the largest shounen property ever in Japan. I also don't think Viz licenses much anime anymore. I believe the only new episodes of a show they're directly involved in and keep licensing is Shippuden, seeing as Bleach has been over for two years now. Not saying this is a fact, but if someone has any further knowledge on this then that would be wonderful.

    I also think at one point Toonami said they don't want to air an additional episode of One Piece because it would cost them too much. If I remember correctly, one of their reps said Toei gets paid a certain amount of royalties each time an episode is aired.

  17. #97
    i like john cena and randy playercena5241's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois

    Default Re: Water 7 Arc- Toonami Talkback

    Quote Originally Posted by MetaMario View Post
    Yeah, last Saturday episode #243 aired.
    ugh. my tivo did not record it. i wanted to see the SP9 unmask so bad.

    NEVER GIVE UP.
    STRAGHT EDGE MEANS I BETTER THAN U.

  18. #98
    Button Pusher Shift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada

    Default Re: Water 7 Arc- Toonami Talkback

    They currently only have one 6-hour block to work with. Why would they squander an extra slot to give a show more exposure than it's earned?



    Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

  19. #99

    Default Re: Water 7 Arc- Toonami Talkback

    TOONAMI SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 22, 2014

    11:30PM Space Dandy 0.8 HH, 1.169 million viewers (tvmediainsights.com)
    12:00AM Bleach 0.8 HH, 1.052 million viewers
    12:30AM Naruto: Shippuden 0.7 HH, 945,000 viewers
    1:00AM One Piece 0.6 HH, 770,000 viewers
    1:30AM Blue Exorcist 0.7 HH, 842,000 viewers
    2:00AM Soul Eater 0.6 HH, 775,000 viewers
    2:30AM Naruto 0.5 HH, 648,000 viewers (tvmediainsights.com)
    3:00AM Ghost in the Shell 0.5 HH, 602,000 viewers
    3:30AM Fullmetal: Brotherhood 0.5 HH, 658,000 viewers
    4:00AM Samurai Jack 0.5 HH, 649,000 viewers
    4:30AM IGPX: Immortal Grand Prix 0.4 HH, 552,000 viewers
    5:00AM Star Wars: Clone Wars 0.4 HH, 616,000 viewers

    5:30AM Inuyasha 0.4 HH, 541,000 viewers(tvm
    TOONAMI SATURDAY, MARCH 1, 2014

    11:30PM Space Dandy 0.9 HH, 1.211 million viewers
    12:00AM Bleach 0.8 HH, 1.136 million viewers
    12:30AM Naruto: Shippuden 0.8 HH, 1.119 million viewers
    1:00AM One Piece 0.6 HH, 791,000 viewers
    1:30AM Blue Exorcist 0.6 HH, 838,000 viewers
    2:00AM Soul Eater 0.6 HH, 799,000 viewers
    2:30AM Naruto 0.6 HH, 722,000 viewers
    3:00AM Ghost in the Shell 0.5 HH, 607,000 viewers
    3:30AM Fullmetal: Brotherhood 0.4 HH, 537,000 viewers
    4:00AM Samurai Jack 0.4 HH, 572,000 viewers
    4:30AM IGPX: Immortal Grand Prix 0.4 HH, 585,000 viewers
    5:00AM Star Wars: Clone Wars 0.5 HH, 610,000 viewers
    5:30AM Inuyasha 0.5 HH, 576,000 viewers
    Where did this all go so wrong for two straight weeks?

  20. #100

    Default Re: Water 7 Arc- Toonami Talkback

    Quote Originally Posted by Davis-Lightheart View Post
    Where did this all go so wrong for two straight weeks?
    That's disheartening and odd. These past 2 episodes have been a lot better than previous ones...


+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts