+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Reported Attack Page! THE RED SCARE

Default Reported Attack Page! THE RED SCARE

I imagine a lot of you have been seeing this (it happens on Firefox, Chrome, and maybe others). We had a few malware attacks done to this site recently, and enough virus programs and such caught it before we fixed it and reported it to google, so that it now considers us unsafe. I can assure you all that we've addressed all the malware attacks that have come up (normally very quickly), and then we've taken additional action to prevent it from happening in the future in every case, and we will continue to do so. I don't know if we've patched every hole yet or not, but even if we haven't, I'd still imagine that we're very close to it.

Unfortunately, google uses the number of reports in the last 90 days as a whole to judge whether a site is safe or not. So it isn't something that just magically goes away once we fix the problem. We requested when it first occurred that they review the site and remove us from the list, but I have no idea how quickly that will happen. It probably doesn't help that these malware attacks have happened to a ton of forums recently (not just AP), and as such google is probably swamped with such requests.

In short: We know about it. We've addressed it. You're not at any more risk on AP than the rest of the internet as a whole, since bots attack everything at every turn and we actively defend this site. Relax.
    Last edited by Urouge; September 19th, 2011 at 03:14 AM.

Default Re: Reported Attack Page!

I'm gonna go ahead and chime in since much of the concern seems to be around the repeating warning message that annoyingly pops up.

Use the:

http://forums.arlongpark.net

entrance if the message persists. Should take care of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gekko135 View Post
    I'm gonna go ahead and chime in since much of the concern seems to be around the repeating warning message that annoyingly pops up.

Use the:

The warning popped up right away. But it seems to not come back.

If the warnings are really bugging you, you can turn them off from the security settings of your browser. That's not the wisest idea ever but if you're certain you won't visit any dubious sites that might infect your computer, turning the warnings off isn't that dangerous.

I actually recommend it for Firefox 3.X users because at least my FF keeps spamming the message every time I load a new page and refuses to load all the data properly. Turning the warnings off solved that problem so my guess is that if anyone else is experiencing the same thing, that'll help them as well. Just remember to turn them back on when google's off our back.
    Last edited by Dryish; September 18th, 2011 at 06:53 AM.
    In Loving Memory of Toraish, Rex Avium: http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t=40786 | 3DS Friend Code: 3196-4274-7836

Use the:

Okay turns out this is a worse idea, because at least for me the warning comes randomly on a page that I've already loaded and told it to proceed.

Hmmm, doesn't happen with me. If you had clicked on a link directing you to another part of the forum, it'll happen. But if it persists anyway.. i'd say just follow Dryish's advice.

Hmmm, doesn't happen with me. If you had clicked on a link directing you to another part of the forum, it'll happen. But if it persists anyway.. i'd say just follow Dryish's advice.
    I kind of dl alot of stuff so not realy that sound.

I'm just afraid I'll click "proceed anyway" on a positively real danger page by accident due to me doing it all the time here :/

Well that''s good to know. I only get it flashing up if I go onto the Arlongpark.net/forums version which I aint used in quite some time anyways. I only noticed it cus I clicked on a link to another topic posted by someone. I still having trouble with the spacing (Won't let me make new paragraphs etc.) which only occured after I got the first warning. Now it's lingering and kinda annoying lol (even happened in this post.) I assume it's somewhat related. Edit: Just noticed it was mentioned on the 15th by No Maam and Urouge. I just guess that it hasn't been resolved yet~
    Last edited by Cyber-Robin; September 18th, 2011 at 01:50 PM.
    Oh hey, I do videos on figures and manga and stuff: https://www.youtube.com/thatmanhismerch

Use the:

So far this has currently been working for me. I'm using Safari on my new mac. I couldn't log on from the regular address because the red screen kept popping up. Well I'm glad this is getting resolved and hopefully this helps out.
    Current Trophy Rank: Lv 14-37%
    Gambit

Nintendo ID: MPZ777
    Feel free to friend request me. Just let me know your from AP Forums.

Yeah the forums.arlongpark link has worked for me ever since I saw it suggested on Facebook. I'm on the most recent Firefox.

Bounty < ฿ 0.00000001 毛唐人 ketou nin's Avatar

working for me on FF. thanks for the link!
    What fun is destruction if no "precious" lives are lost?
    ...I will create a monument to non-existence! ~Kefka~

Meet my brute...........Meet the Garbage Pail Kids

Yea I got the google warning page, I just 'Ignored' it though and its all good so far, but I'm not concerned or anything, you guys run a tight ship here

As a chrome user I though I'd give an update on how is it on google.

Spoiler:
    Safe Browsing

Diagnostic page for apforums.net

What is the current listing status for apforums.net?
    Site is listed as suspicious - visiting this web site may harm your computer.
    Part of this site was listed for suspicious activity 2 time(s) over the past 90 days.
    What happened when Google visited this site?
    Of the 39 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 15 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2011-09-18, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2011-09-15. Malicious software includes 16 scripting exploit(s), 16 trojan(s). Successful infection resulted in an average of 9 new process(es) on the target machine.
    Malicious software is hosted on 1 domain(s), including dfgjahkdjsfasfsdgafg.cz.cc/.
    This site was hosted on 1 network(s) including AS21788 (NOC).
    Has this site acted as an intermediary resulting in further distribution of malware?
    Over the past 90 days, apforums.net did not appear to function as an intermediary for the infection of any sites.
    Has this site hosted malware?
    No, this site has not hosted malicious software over the past 90 days.
    How did this happen?
    In some cases, third parties can add malicious code to legitimate sites, which would cause us to show the warning message.

So google is checking the history for 90 days not 30, so god knows when they'll actually remove the warning. Also I already visited the same diagnostic page yesterday & the "Last visit date" to apforums from google was 17th, so apparently they visit the site and update the status everyday. and no further threats were detected since 15th.

I guess they know apforums doesn't have any malware currently, they just can't trust it again yet.

Also http://forums.arlongpark.net is also blocked on chrome. Personally I'm paranoid towards disabling warnings, so I just use ie with this link & everything is fine.
    I was banned from HxH thread b/c Robby disagrees with my opinion.

Oh, 90 days. My bad, but it doesn't really change much. It won't take that long to fix, though. It's just a matter of getting google to actually review the site and confirm it's safe. It usually would have happened by now, but as I said, they're likely swamped with requests.

Using your link now Urouge and it seems fine. Didn`t post the whole week, because of that damn warning.
    The epic battle of BusterCall vs. Don is decided !!!
    And the results are 3:2 for Don..

I just have to keep clicking "proceed" every time I visit :P

Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. - Frank Zappa

It's great to know that the website is okay :D
    I wasn't able to post for a week

Kamen Rider OOOs

Hi Everyone,

I fixed the vulnerability on Sep 15 2011 and asked Brennen to use the google webmaster tools to request the review that the diagnostics page mentions. I guess he's been incommunicado, so I've done so myself this afternoon, after doing some tests to make sure that the attack vector previously used would no longer work. I've done a few precautionary upgrades on the server as well.

I don't know when Google will get around do servicing this request. I've seen people complaining that it took months for Google to respond to this type of thing.

-- Jonas
    -- Jonas

Great sage,equal of heaven Darkstorm's Avatar

Cheers Jonas .

Thanks, Jonas. I've never met you before, but you're awesome.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information