Closed Thread
Page 252 of 502 FirstFirst ... 152 202 242 250 251 252 253 254 262 302 352 ... LastLast
Results 5,021 to 5,040 of 10030

Thread: Naruto and Bleach IV- Sexy time

Default Re: Naruto and Bleach IV- Needs more Nicolas Cage

So wait, do you enjoy the characters because they're blank slates, or because you feel they're hiding emotions, which you can relate to?

Because there's a world of difference between characters consciously trying to repress any display of emotions, and characters not having them.

Quote Originally Posted by pRopaaNS View Post
    No, for me that black canvas let's me to think through different scenarios and guesses about what those characters might be possibly thinking and what are their intentions. I as artist enjoy using my imagination when reading a story.
    So you could also just look at a blank sheet of paper instead of Bleach panels and have nearly the same effect/thoughts?! At least I sometimes really feel that way..

Well whatever turns you guys on. I don't know for what reasons you are preassuming that my opinion is wrong and attack it with ridiculing examples, but if you enjoy looking down on other people then have it your way. It's good to know how society works.

It's a matter of making or not making the distinction between the imagined human personality and the actual characterization of the character in question. If we treat bland characters as human beings with logical reasons for all of their actions, we can relate to them no matter what their actions are because we assume that there are natural consequences making them the way they are, but if we look at them as abstract characters in a strictly storytelling-centered sense then the only thing that matters is what we are shown.

The problem arises when the authors, the creators of the characters, bypass this and try to present the characters as human beings who act in a specific way regardless of their reactions going against all logic, usually just to make them look cool or something as silly.
    In Loving Memory of Toraish, Rex Avium: http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t=40786 | 3DS Friend Code: 3196-4274-7836

Oh god, it's been a long time since I couldn't stand someone just because he tries to explain everything with "HERP DERP your arguments about this series are invalid because I somehow don't see any of them".

You like this series? Okay. We don't. Probably all of us. We see the lack of logic in Bleach and Naruto and it bugs the hell of of us. We see the lack of different emotions, backgrounds and "stylistic" choices Kubo makes. You don't. Let's end this part of the discussion and get back to talking about how shitty these series are.

the way i see this kind of thing is, we are readers, casuals,fans or blind-fanboys, so we have "eye of god" advantage into the story, into characters life. it doesn't matter whether its character's normal life or even his/her inner thought. sometimes, we might even now something that even character or a lot of characters doesn't know. so, even if the character or a lot of characters supposedly hiding/suppress/denied their emotion/thought or his/her basically a tsundere or supposedly mysterious character, good writer can and will give his character emotion/thought that is visible to us casual readers/fan but not not visible in the story. except blind-fanboys.

but Kubo and Bleach nowadays are not like that. before SS arc, after SS arc and Arancar arc, his character actually have all sort of emotions that were visible to us casual readers and fans.

Well whatever turns you guys on. I don't know for what reasons you are preassuming that my opinion is wrong and attack it with ridiculing examples, but if you enjoy looking down on other people then have it your way. It's good to know how society works.
    Ehm yeah, okay. If you enjoy Bleach then it's fine and I have absolutely no problem with it, but I don't see those "ridiculing examples" you mention, the points they made are completely valid.

To me character writing involves you getting to know the characters as well as possible through what the author says. Of course, there's the death of the author, where you look at the series separately from possible author intent and just take it as whatever you want to take it as. That's fine, I just prefer the more traditional way of looking at what the author actually might have wanted to say(just to take it as what it comes across as initially), and from that also whether it actually gets across that way.
    There's also the question how deep can you go into something without overanalyzing it or looking pointlessly deep into it? I could see Bleach as having a very interesting world system with moral ambiguity(the SS have done some terrible things by the reader's perspective) for example, but was that really the intention considering how little this is actually focused on/how it's brushed over?
    Last edited by Kizuchan; January 31st, 2014 at 07:07 AM.

Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer

You know what the funny thing is?

I've actually frequently saw fanfics of Bleach that are way better than canon.

Which, btw, is a situation that doesn't occure often. Maybe it's because they are such blank slates that giving them any characterization makes them instantly better.

No, for me that black canvas
    A black canvas would imply that NOTHING is left to the imagination whatsoever.
    let's me to think through different scenarios and guesses about what those characters might be possibly thinking and what are their intentions. I as artist enjoy using my imagination when reading a story.
    This argument could be used to say ANYTHING is a good character practically. This isn't the result of any crafting on Kubo's part. Exactly. It's ALL your imagination. As in...not in the story.

Here it is guys, the greatest character ever produced! Finer than any Shakespeare crafted. The envy of every auteur the world over.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth View Post
    You know what the funny thing is?

I've actually frequently saw fanfics of Bleach that are way better than canon.

Which, btw, is a situation that doesn't occure often. Maybe it's because they are such blank slates that giving them any characterization makes them instantly better.
    No, it's just that the actual canon material is so terrible that anybody who tries a little can do much better.

Which is similar, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    This argument could be used to say ANYTHING is a good character practically. This isn't the result of any crafting on Kubo's part. Exactly. It's ALL your imagination. As in...not in the story.

Here it is guys, the greatest character ever produced! Finer than any Shakespeare crafted. The envy of every auteur the world over.
    Well whatever, feel free to make your own imaginary me out of your assumptions.

Speaking of canon material, is that novel about Bleach with Szayel as the primera espada and Kenpachi's shikai explained canon?

Well whatever, feel free to make your own imaginary me out of your assumptions.
    I didn't talk about you in that post. You can't deny though my point is that any blank slate character...with no work from the author on their personality could be called a good character by your logic right?

He was clearly born with a severely crippled leg, which can't make life easy for him, and yet still he approaches his day with such a smile! Truly, I think we could all learn a little something from this brave soul.

pRoPPans if anything you need to stop praising Kubo, and instead patting yourself on the back here lol

Quote Originally Posted by Panda Bear View Post
    He was clearly born with a severely crippled leg, which can't make life easy for him, and yet still he approaches his day with such a smile! Truly, I think we could all learn a little something from this brave soul.
    Wait until you see his Bankai!

Quote Originally Posted by Panda Bear View Post
    what?! only 41 words!!
    Shame on you.. smh

I didn't talk about you in that post. You can't deny though my point is that any blank slate character...with no work from the author on their personality could be called a good character by your logic right?
    I see, sorry then.
    Conclusion is that I'm terrible at expressing my opinions and my english sucks. Perhabs it would take a book to explain some of my thoughts throughtfully without getting musunderstood, because the problem seems to be that I have different way of thinking and therefore I'm not sure how to translate my opinions for others to understand.

Btw I never praised Kubo, I just get fed up by people going too far when "discussing" it.
    Last edited by pRopaaNS; January 31st, 2014 at 08:47 AM.

I know that feeling. But don't take anything personally, MK isn't that bad (but pls don't start arguing with him 'bout the Osman Empire )

Closed Thread

Thread Information