+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20

Thread: Oh no, there goes Tokyo. It's a Godzilla thread!

Default Re: Oh no, there goes Tokyo. It's a Godzilla thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Raiu View Post
    I certainly think we'll be seeing ghidorah again in the future, but my concern is that he'll be part machine rather than fully organic like he was in KotM, seeing how the head Godzilla tore off isn't conscious or in the process of regrowing its body at all.
    Isn't Mecha Ghidorah a thing? They'll probably have that as the final villain in the Godzilla vs king Kong movie

Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    Isn't Mecha Ghidorah a thing? They'll probably have that as the final villain in the Godzilla vs king Kong movie
    That idea sounds a lot more probable than what im hoping for, id just prefer to see regular ghidorah over mecha ghidorah.

They could get around the head not regenerating by saying that it needed to be connected to a power source. So a mechanical body would provide that.

I've been expecting a Gigan appearance ever since the first film because of how similar the MUTOs were to him; a mechaMUTO would be perfect for Gigan. They even have an excuse for the saw since the male was impaled on that building and they might as well use that hole for something.
    Complicating things since 2009.

I think we are getting Mecha Godzilla over Mecha Ghidorah.
    FC: 5043 2397 0050 In Game trainer name (WolfWood)

Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've been expecting a Gigan appearance ever since the first film because of how similar the MUTOs were to him; a mechaMUTO would be perfect for Gigan. They even have an excuse for the saw since the male was impaled on that building and they might as well use that hole for something.
    Don't know if you've seen this, but...

Spoiler:

At first, I actually wasn't sure if Gigan could work in the new Monsterverse since, while his design is cool, it's also kind of "out there". But art like this makes me believe it could work.

Discovered Stowaway

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post

At first, I actually wasn't sure if Gigan could work in the new Monsterverse since, while his design is cool, it's also kind of "out there". But art like this makes me believe it could work.
    I love the hell out of that design but it looks too organic to be a construct like it was in the movie it first appeared in. What they could do if they wanted a Mecha-Whatever in the next movie to require Godzilla and Kong to pull a Batman V Superman is to have one be discovered buried somewhere by aliens or something and have it reawaken because of whatever crap reason they reawakened Ghidora immediately after thawing. It could be a Mecha-Godzilla, M-Ghidora, or just Gigan if they kept its backstory as a purely mechanical being despite looking at least partially organic. Or maybe it could have been a Titan, but aliens managed to capture it, convert it partially into a cyborg and now it's got like the best of both worlds going on with it.

Godzilla Final Wars is still my favorite movie of them all (except Son of Godzilla, that one still holds a special place in my heart). I want to see more Titans like Anguirus, and even the size-changing android Jet Jaguar. If they just stop taking things so seriously and let the movies have a Marvel-ish sense of humor I bet they'd get better reviews and the scripts would commensurately improve as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    They could get around the head not regenerating by saying that it needed to be connected to a power source. So a mechanical body would provide that.

That's actually a really plausible idea, seeing how Ghidorah was able to patch up the holes in its wings after biting down on that electrical device

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    I hadn't but that's pretty much spot-on from what I was thinking. Plus Ultra Mega Space Chicken really wasn't any less out there even by Heisei Godzilla standards (especially the Deluxe Gigan with Special Drag Chute Feature); if anything, "formerly dead insect that they jammed hardware into" feels less weird than whatever Gigan was supposed to be in the first place.

Well, to me anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Raiu View Post
    That's actually a really plausible idea, seeing how Ghidorah was able to patch up the holes in its wings after biting down on that electrical device
    Yeah, I think we also saw him absorb some energy before regrowing that third head as well. That said though, that particular head was apparently the slow one of the group so maybe it just hadn't occurred to it that it could regenerate yet.
    Complicating things since 2009.

After being hesitant due to finding the 2014 film a decidedly mixed bag, I finally got around to watching King Of the Monsters, and...I liked it quite a bit!

I still 100% stand by what I said earlier about the Human Bits ideally not sucking, that all parts of a movie should ideally work, but the thing is...I don't think the human bits sucked in this? Its not like the characters are extremely memorable, or that I'm on the edge of my seat over their emotional drama but its competent. I might not remember their names but there were performances I liked, motivations I understood, and a strong core with Dad and Mom and their respective character arcs. Even if Kyle Chandler was a bit overbearing, it was a huge improvement over the complete nothing that was whats-his-face in the preceding movie, where they couldn't even wring compelling drama out of his family being in danger. Obviously you still want to see the big monsters fight, but I thought they crafted a perfectly fine story framework around it, where it felt like the humans actually had something meaningful to do.

While it was better than the big pile of nothing that was the 2014 movie, I didn't really find the sequel THAT much better in retrospect. Yes, the characters were a bit better because they had actual motivations, what didn't help was that some of those motivations were completely asinine. The female scientist mom's whole deal of wanting to wake up all the Kaiju to save the planet (by killing billions of people) only to turn around and defect just because Ghidorah was not originally from Earth and therefore not part of the "natural process" (but forcibly waking up a bunch of Kaiju is?) was ridiculous. And the fact that they gave her a big hero redemption moment at the end like it cleans the slate from the planetary genocide she caused was infuriating.

I guess it's fine in a B movie turn your brain off way but that's hard to do given the tone is so serious and the production is so high quality.

Give me Shin Godzilla any day of the week.

I actually saw King of the Monsters twice in theaters. The first time I guess I thought it was pretty good, but the second time was an absolute chore to get through. The human parts went from being tolerable to tedious and the monsters bits just...honestly, weren't that impressive.

I don't know. Maybe I'm just not as big a Godzilla fan as I hoped I would be.

The problem is Pacific Rim is the only good Godzilla film in years.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

I like Pacific Rim a lot, and its world, action scenes and overall mood are top notch, but to me the human element is as bad as the recent Godzilla flicks- possibly worse. Mom and Dad in KotM had pretty well defined arcs that ran through the movie, but I'm fairly certain Whats-his-face from Pacific Rim had his arc abandoned halfway through the movie...and hes so bland I can barely remember what his arc is. Idris Elba and Ron Pearlman are fun because they are who they are, whereas in KotM I enjoyed Ken Watanabe and Charles Dance for being who they were, as well as the Kaiju themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by TLC View Post
    While it was better than the big pile of nothing that was the 2014 movie, I didn't really find the sequel THAT much better in retrospect. Yes, the characters were a bit better because they had actual motivations, what didn't help was that some of those motivations were completely asinine. The female scientist mom's whole deal of wanting to wake up all the Kaiju to save the planet (by killing billions of people) only to turn around and defect just because Ghidorah was not originally from Earth and therefore not part of the "natural process" (but forcibly waking up a bunch of Kaiju is?) was ridiculous. And the fact that they gave her a big hero redemption moment at the end like it cleans the slate from the planetary genocide she caused was infuriating.
    Well, her plan was just for the Kaiju to wake up gradually so they could heal the environment with minimal casualties, which the end cred,ts show is pretty much what happens once Godzilla became in charge. She just messed up by reviving a monster that was 100% pure evil and didn't care about the environment. But overall, I thought they framed her pretty well, as misguided, having her daughter and Charles Dance call her out on being a callous hypocrite. As for the "redemption" moment in the end, that doesn't land if you find the character completely vile, but for me I appreciated it as a character arc, as her taking responsibility for her fuckup. Idunno, I think I just overall bought that she was well intentioned, and the movie is so ludicrous in its scale that the background death of people doesn't really register.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information