+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Astronomy Thread

Default Re: Astronomy Thread

I like to think it was their second choice after they couldn't get the rights to:

Spoiler:
    Complicating things since 2009.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/10/rainbow-gravity-theory-universe-beginning_n_4418017.html?utm_hp_ref=tw

I actually have never heard of this Rainbow Gravity theory, but I find it absolutely fascinating. Especially the idea that there was no Big Bang and our Universe has no beginning.

I just wish I better understood what the article was saying. There are definitely parts of it that went over my head.

i looove any Big Bang killer theory haha

idk i think the rainbow theory is neat but i like the idea that the universe renews itself periodically with a big bang. it just seems natural, like there's no infinite future or infinite past, that the sub atomic stuff isn't immortal...

Treasure Cruise ID: 785,854,335
    LS Zoro looking 4 Vivis

Anybody watch Unexplained Files on the Science channel? I watched the bit about the Sri Lanka red rain and the conclusions they were coming up with we're really cool http://science.discovery.com/tv-show...-sri-lanka.htm

The cells they found in the water apparently didn't have DNA and they're thinking it came from a meteor impact

LS Zoro looking 4 Vivis

Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer

I'd more like to believe that the Earth is just way more fucking complicated than we thought.

but seriously, what kind of cells can still reproduce after being baked at a temp of 300 degrees for over 15 hours?

LS Zoro looking 4 Vivis

Sentient giant tube worm cells.

And why is it that when I search for "sentient giant tube worms" on Google images, this picture shows up?

Spoiler:

I think that's case closed folks.

Spoiler:

what are you even talking about

LS Zoro looking 4 Vivis

I really don't know how to get out of this stressful situation safely, so you can do whatever you want with my dumb posts, just delete them or whatever.

Carcharodon Piledriver Crossword's Avatar

There's a possibility of an Aurora Borealis show tonight/early morning for the northern half of the USA/

The entirety of New England's in the "good" range and it's clear today, so maybe I'll try to take a peak.
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

Here's a picture of an exoplanet.

http://www.gemini.edu/node/12113

Japan is taking a long overdue step towards reducing orbital debris.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...s#.UuBT9WTnZcy

http://www.livescience.com/43235-int...tion-2040.html

We will soon encounter alien species by 2040. Not bad!

Of course, as mentioned, it also depends on the continued SETI funding for its activities which could also mean that this statement could have been released to gain attention for the same purpose. Nevertheless, 2040 here we come...

Quote Originally Posted by xan View Post
    Of course, as mentioned, it also depends on the continued SETI funding for its activities which could also mean that this statement could have been released to gain attention for the same purpose.
    Probably that.

And we wouldn't be talking to them. Just finding out if an alien civilization that's reliant on electricity is out there and close enough that we can pick up those EM waves.

I wonder how they'd separate it from all the other noise stars produce.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
    Probably that.

And we wouldn't be talking to them. Just finding out if an alien civilization that's reliant on electricity is out there and close enough that we can pick up those EM waves.

I wonder how they'd separate it from all the other noise stars produce.
    Well as we know humans aren't peaceful creatures so if we see that the civilization is weaker than us the first reaction(after an initial attempt to communicate) would be an attempt for colonization. It has happened throughout earth's violent history anyways. In fact, if we encounter an advanced civilization it is highly likely that THEY would be hostile rather than being nice and helpful.

Well as we know humans aren't peaceful creatures so if we see that the civilization is weaker than us the first reaction(after an initial attempt to communicate) would be an attempt for colonization. It has happened throughout earth's violent history anyways. In fact, if we encounter an advanced civilization it is highly likely that THEY would be hostile rather than being nice and helpful.
    Duuuuude, the nearest star is 4 light years away. We're no where near at the level of technology required for space exploration to get even there.

And if they're at that level, we're probably not worth talking to, let alone obliterating.
    Last edited by Cruithne; February 11th, 2014 at 03:28 PM.

I wonder if aliens aren't already here tbh

LS Zoro looking 4 Vivis

Quote Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
    Duuuuude, the nearest star is 4 light years away. We're no where near at the level of technology required for space exploration to get even there.

And if they're at that level, we're probably not worth talking to, let alone obliterating.
    Ha ha yes of course with our current tehnology it's not even remotely possible. I am referring to the future when we have the technology and the resources to travel effortlessly through space. And forget the stars light years away, we haven't even confirmed if life exists in Mars or the moon.

It's not about the fact whether we are worth talking to or not but if I was an alien species finding a habitat here on earth, I would be more interested in the natural resources that earth offers that I won't mind risking a brutal takeover. We have seen obvious countless instances of that in our very own history where we invade other lands just for their resources.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by taboo View Post
    I wonder if aliens aren't already here tbh
    That would be a very scary possibility considering that they haven't been discovered yet. The first place where they could and should visit would be our oceans IMHO
    Last edited by xan; February 11th, 2014 at 11:38 PM.

Well honestly, what would we do if we discovered a new, more primitive alien race and we had the means to visit them? We'd probably want to be stealthy and unseen, yet observant while collecting samples for study. I'd like to think there are maybe 1-2 alien races out there that are perhaps 1000-100,000 years more advanced than we are (which is a blink of an eye in astronomical time).

LS Zoro looking 4 Vivis

It's not about the fact whether we are worth talking to or not but if I was an alien species finding a habitat here on earth, I would be more interested in the natural resources that earth offers that I won't mind risking a brutal takeover. We have seen obvious countless instances of that in our very own history where we invade other lands just for their resources.
    Natural resources? You think they are after our oil or food? Most other resources are available and more easily accessible in other places in our solar system.
    I'd wager that any civilization capable of interstellar space travel is advanced enough to be pretty nice fellas.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information