+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12

Thread: Astronomy Thread

Discovered Stowaway

Default Re: Astronomy Thread

I read on multiple sights(just to make sure the claim is legitimate) that #14 welding glasses or higher can be used as a substitute for eclipse glasses. Don't use anything that will magnify the sun's intensity(ie anything with a lens) or else the welding glasses could shatter!

On the ONE day I don't want cold overcast weather, that's what I get. I can't even tell where in the sky the sun is supposed to be (and no, it's not because it's a total eclipse <_< ). I'm sad.

Edit: For a few minutes, right around the peak, the sun did peek out. Glad I got to see that!
    Last edited by Foolio; August 21st, 2017 at 10:47 AM.

Discovered Stowaway killerbee1000's Avatar

Anybody have a Crimson Behelit on them? Now is your chance to join the Godhand since the Eclipse is here.

I got about 85 percent going on right now! There was a stupid cloud in the way but now it's gone.

This is pretty sweet~

I can only imagine how awesome it looks for people who are getting a total eclipse.
    Everything's Eventual...

Future Disappointment Kaido King of the Beasts's Avatar
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head

Right as it was getting good this humongous cloud came and eclipsed it...RIP

Spoiler:

Had some clouds. Was only in the 85% zone and couldn't see much of anything covering the sun. It did get a bit darker but I don't know how much of that was the eclipse and how much was the sun. I tried the pinhole thing but I imagine because of the clouds I didn't get much of any shadows to have it work.

Edit: I did take some pictures and managed to get some reflections that seem to show the partial eclipse though, so that's something.
    Last edited by Sakonosolo; August 21st, 2017 at 12:34 PM.

I didn't think to get a filter for the camera. Just took a few snapshots with the cellphone which came out pretty trippy looking. The last one is during totality.

Spoiler:

Perfect weather for it here.
    Complicating things since 2009.

well fuckity fuck fuck! I go the times wrong. Add to that insomnia was in high gear last night so I didn't fall asleep until 7-8 am and just now woke up.
    Quote Originally Posted by S.C. Amigo View Post
    Well, this thread just took a horrible turn!

in response to thread derailment in Theories thread here

The Mad Moiselle BellisarioFaith's Avatar

Yeah, that was really cool! The observatory had good weather basically the whole time, and 20+ people showed up, so it was pretty great! Had 75% maximum coverage here in New Mexico. There were also some good sunspots on the sun today, which is lucky considering we're near solar minimum right now. Got some good pics:
    Hidden:
    Maximum eclipse here (taken through a telescope eyepiece):

Picture of totality, taken from a NASA livestream from Montana:

Near the end of the eclipse, but you can see a few sunspots pretty well in this one:

Here's my really crappy photo I took when the eclipse was near its peak in my area. I took it on my cellphone through my eclipse glasses.

Hidden:
    It looked much better when you saw it with your own eyes (with glasses on).
    Everything's Eventual...

Cassini arrives at the gates of Valhalla all shiny and chrome tomorrow morning.

Here's some things to remember it by:

https://nasa.tumblr.com/post/1653317...op-discoveries
    Complicating things since 2009.

Meow! :)

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/16/s...e=sectionfront

Two neutron stars colliding, in other words a kilonova. It seems that this is the explanation on where most of the gold and silver was created in the universe.

For those of you in the US (especially western US), Australia, and Asia (especially Eastern Asia): total lunar eclipse tonight/tomorrow early morning! As this article points out, it's a "Super Blue Blood Moon" (as in, a supermoon, a blue moon, and a lunar eclipse all at once, though it being a supermoon at least isn't that big of a deal).

Unfortunately, those in the Middle East, Europe, Africa, and South America will mostly or entirely miss out, as this page shows; however, there'll be another lunar eclipse in July that, in turn, the US will completely miss and most of those same places will have a better view, as shown here. (Sadly, Eastern US and South America just don't get that much for either one.) Luckily, the entirety of North and South America will see the one next January.
    Last edited by BellisarioFaith; January 30th, 2018 at 11:48 PM.

I woke up early enough to view it ... but it was partial cloudy at the very beginning and got cloudier. So I didn't see anything live. I had to watch online to view it.
    Quote Originally Posted by S.C. Amigo View Post
    Well, this thread just took a horrible turn!

in response to thread derailment in Theories thread here

Ah, that's a shame. The weather affecting cool things like this is just the worst.

I've got some decent pictures here. Not great, since they're taken with a cellphone camera through binoculars, but still surprisingly okay:
    Hidden:
    These first two were taken shortly after totality began, around 5:55 AM MST:

And these next two were taken around max totality, 6:30 AM MST, when the sky was quite a bit lighter:

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information