Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Doflamingo Invitational Ceremonies

Default Doflamingo Invitational Ceremonies

And so it ends, Ladies and Gentlemen, our dear audience. Again, as the chosen spokesperson of the Dressrosa Officiating Committee, I come here to announce that The Doflamingo Invitational of 2013 is now officially over! Master Doflamingo had the pleasure of informing us that he is very satisfied with the outcome of the event. The brutish fighting of our contestants, the loud campaigning that cheered them on, and the whole array of emotions from desperate sadness and disappointment to the nigh on surreal high of supporting the true winner were exactly what he wanted to see. We are all proud of the hard work the participants and their respective camps have put into supporting our gladiators.

Now, I believe it is time we turned our attention to our new champion and his trophy. We are pleased to announce that Admiral Fujitora has won the Doflamingo Invitational! It was a hard and a well-fought struggle that will be remembered for years. Well done to all of you who have made it possible. You are the real heroes of the arena!

Bellamy: Hey, hey! Hang on a minute! There is something fishy here, you bastards - I won, didn't I!

Ah, yes, I almost forgot. No, you did not win the tournament, my good man. You did trounce our winner, yes that is true, but by Doflamingo's decree you shall be the champion in the name only, Binami.

Bellamy: It's Bellamy, you blabbering oaf! Where is my reward!?

Sigh, why must you always be so difficult, Binami? Guards, please take this raving madman away! He shall be given his reward once Young Master returns. He is busy preparing for something far more important right now.

Ahem. We apologize for the unwanted interruption. The secret challenger match was only there to give Binami a chance to test his prowess against the strongest of our contestants, which he indeed pulled off quite convincingly. It was not, however, meant to take the championship title away from our real winner. The tournament has been long and draining, and we do not wish to disrespect those who have worked their earnest to bring Fujitora to where he is now. You must understand. Binami needed to earn his spurs.

Be that as it may, we will now reward Gladiator Fujitora with the ultimate prize, as promised by Master Doflamingo himself. Behold, the Mera Mera no Mi! We are glad to award this great treasure to our most popular competitor.

*FWOOSH*

Fujitora: Is it just me or has the atmosphere here suddenly turned very heated?

But... What is this now, Fujitora!?

Someone come quick!!! OUR CHAMPION HAS CAUGHT FIRE!

HELP! PROTECT THE MAIN PRIZE!

But, Dryish, you're probably asking right now, why is there no proper ceremonious ending to all this like there always is? Are you all too lazy this year to bother with something that is actually cool? Why are you trying to be funny when it clearly doesn't suit the overall relaxed register of the real announcements thus far? Where is Robby, he's the one we want! Oh and... what's this main prize you were talking about? Shouldn't it have been a shiny poster for Fujitora with him holding the Mera Mera fruit in his hands?

Well, no, not actually. We decided to do things a little differently this year and actually include a prize for reaching the Invitational finals. Yes, you heard me right, the finals. That means Fujitora is not the only one we will be rewarding, Vergo has also won the prize. And the prize for reaching this year's final match is an autopass for the next Arlong Park Character Tournament. It makes our job a lot easier, since there is never an equal amount of characters that would make the tournament structure work the way it should, and arbitrarily including characters that haven't won the tournament before is never fair. With the addition of this year's Invitational winners Fujitora and Vergo, the next tournament will have the right number of autopasses - totaling at eight.

And, one more thing. The next Arlong Park Character Tournament is scheduled to be held...
    Last edited by Dryish; June 28th, 2013 at 12:25 PM.

Default Re: Tournament Ceremonies

RIGHT NOW!

That's right, everyone! It's my real pleasure to announce that it's that time of the year again! We are hereby officially announcing the Arlong Park Character Tournament 2013!

Let the laughs be heard all around the forum, let the fervor of campaigning consume us again, and let the tournament spirit work its magic amongst us to make Arlong Park what it truly is once more. Spread the news!

We never said the Doflamingo Invitational was going to be all there is this year, we're not that boring and jaded quite yet. The idea of only having new characters battle their hearts out is very exciting in its own right, to be sure, but that's not what the main tournament is all about. At its core, it is still a popularity contest, and what would a popularity contest without the most popular and well-loved characters of the manga series we have all learned to love and shed tears for be if not a boring display alienating the fans of the older characters. It was a fun way to fill the two remaining autopass slots, though, and when is there ever a time that we would not seize the opportunity to do something fun with the tournament format.

Our apologies to everyone whose faith in the entire event has wavered as a result of this short-term adventure. We did, however, drop a few subtle hints along the way - for instance never once calling the Invitational the AP Character Tournament and yesterday when we said no marine had won the tournament to date. I'm sure that the ones most familiar with our ways of working had a hunch that something like this might be coming. Congratulations to those of you who had it all figured out.

The tournament will use the same format as it did last year, with us starting with a preliminary round with fifteen characters in each and then continuing on to one-on-one battles until we finally reach the end later this fall. And to those of you who were slightly let down by your favourites' accomplishments (or the lack thereof) in the Invitational, don't fret! The most popular new characters will all show up again at the preliminary matches. Start making those campaigns again!

Our nominations thread will be opened shortly, after which we will wait for approximately a week before launching the main event. More detailed info to follow later on as the dust has settled and we get that far.

Thank you for your enthusiasm and patience! Let this year's tournament be a thrill!
    In Loving Memory of Toraish, Rex Avium: http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t=40786 | 3DS Friend Code: 3196-4274-7836

This is going to be Wapol's year, I just know it!
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

So what will happen to the ones that participated in the doflamingo invitionals will they be out?

I want to believe too big guy
    3ds code friend:0404-6254-1866
    new "new"3ds code friend:0791-4253-7110 (monster hunter)

Quote Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
    So what will happen to the ones that participated in the doflamingo invitionals will they be out?
    Audience nominations. New characters are allowed. The Dofla Tourney was a chance to let them stand out on their own and build some momentum they wouldn't have otherwise, it doesn't exclude them from the main event at all.

(It also gives the staff a way to weight them fairly when deciding the prelim matchups.)

I'll vote for Smiley in any match he's in, except against Bon Kurei or Wapol. But Wapol never passes the prelims, so that's not likely to be an issue.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

.................................................. ............

You are on a quest to become the Pirate Prince, and you decide your fate!

Man. Man oh man.

Here I log in to see that a) I missed the final match, b) I missed the final FINAL match (lol Binami), and c) the tourney's over! But in reality.....haha, the REAL tournament has yet to begin! I had an inkling there would be something after, seeing how fast the Doflamingo Invitationals went, but I wasn't sure.

But now that the main event's slated to start.....I'd better get ready.

There's a handful of characters I really want to see go far.....coughNamicough.....but this event was a fun way to build things up and give the new characters a fair shot. :D

Oh my SEXY LEGS IS BACK

Quote Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
    Nah, the most popular ones (meaning pretty much everyone from round two upwards) will all be participating in the preliminary matches with everyone else and have to compete for their spot on the first round of the tournament just like all the other normal characters. It does say that in the post as well.
    In Loving Memory of Toraish, Rex Avium: http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t=40786 | 3DS Friend Code: 3196-4274-7836

This is just-
    Last edited by Lef; June 28th, 2013 at 11:31 AM. Reason: HYSTERICS, ON ONE HAND TROUBLE AT UNI, ON OTHER LAWFARE, ON THIRD GISHWHES, ON FORTH MY PRIORITIES SUCK

Discovered Stowaway piratemarimo's Avatar

OH SNAP. I literally did not see this one coming. I can't believe I missed a chance to vote for Bellamy, but I'm glad he 'won'.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbyBevard View Post
    Audience nominations. New characters are allowed. The Dofla Tourney was just a chance to let them stand out on their own and build some momentum they wouldn't have otherwise.

I'll vote for Smiley in any match he's in, except against Bon Kurei.
    Thanks for clear that out, now if someone would be interested in doing Smiley toris.
    (No drawning skill watsoever).

Loool this was one hell of a surprise.
    I like the idea!! I'm not too familiar with the normal tournament so I'll need to get used to that again. But hey I like this!

Now that I have that much more characters to choose from (I think) I'm not too sure who to go for... Maybe Law??

Quote Originally Posted by EvoWarrior5 View Post
    Loool this was one hell of a surprise.
    I like the idea!! I'm not too familiar with the normal tournament so I'll need to get used to that again. But hey I like this!

Now that I have that much more characters to choose from (I think) I'm not too sure who to go for... Maybe Law??
    Law is a good choice, I would highly recommend

Quote Originally Posted by EvoWarrior5 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lef View Post
    Law is a good choice, I would highly recommend
    *puts on helmet*

So I'm called back to do battle with the Lawfare again? Anytime, anyplace!

oh christ.

the lawfare.

WELL. Other than Bluegilly, I'll go all out with KING CAESAR CLOWN!

Hm, do I back my three ladies from last year again, or sit this tourney out (campaign-wise)? Decisions...

Quote Originally Posted by Deviant_Mugen View Post
    Hm, do I back my three ladies from last year again, or sit this tourney out (campaign-wise)? Decisions...
    If anything, Tashigi needs your support. D:

She's one of my picks for the tourney, but I'm not exactly sure who to nominate.

That nobody forget to nominate Laboon and Surume.

Quote Originally Posted by MetaMario View Post
    If anything, Tashigi needs your support. D:

She's one of my picks for the tourney, but I'm not exactly sure who to nominate.
    This is (sadly) true. Unfortunately, Punk Hazard was not helpful at all (as far as Tashigi winning a fight is concerned, which is what most voters care about), so it'll be another uphill battle, only without any new material to help out the effort. I'll have to think about it, but I think this year I want to back up Hancock more adamantly, if I bother to campaign at all, that is. My nominee will probably still be Tashigi, though, since Hancock being nominated by someone else is a sure bet.

@Smiley: Silly
    axolotl, this is Arlong Park! Cute animals are guaranteed a nomination...

Thread Information