+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: A Song of Ice and Fire (book thread)

Default Re: A Song of Ice and Fire (book thread)

So I heard somewhere that Caitlyn's actress is not actually considered to return to the show at all, meaning no Lady Stoneheart - now, I for one still believe she'll be there, because I can't see them just cutting this twist out completely - but it's possibly, and that scares me a bit. What do you think?

Sorry, I don't have an actual source for this. Might be just rumours.
    3DS friend code: 2964-8756-2295
    Games: Pokemon Y & Alpha Sapphire

Considering the character is basically only in a cameo appearance, (and the timing of which we've already missed) and then only one other scene in Brienne's story to date... it's a surprise reveal they can wait on... that they don't need the actress around for... for like another year and a half, and then they'll only need her for a day.

Depending on the amount of role in book 6 she has that could change... but they certainly don't need the actress tied down as a regular at this point in time. They really won't need her for more than a day for at least 2 years... depending on how they pace books 4 and 5. And if she's only in like, one chapter of book 6 and Martin has already told them so?

She really doesn't need to be overly committed to the show for a while.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Considering the character is basically only in a cameo appearance, (and the timing of which we've already missed) and then only one other scene in Brienne's story to date... it's a surprise reveal they can wait on... that they don't need the actress around for... for like another year and a half, and then they'll only need her for a day.

Depending on the amount of role in book 6 she has that could change... but they certainly don't need the actress tied down as a regular at this point in time. They really won't need her for more than a day for at least 2 years... depending on how they pace books 4 and 5. And if she's only in like, one chapter of book 6 and Martin has already told them so?

She really doesn't need to be overly committed to the show for a while.
    While that's probably true, I'm still not sure if they won't just cut her out entirely. The actress hasn't read ahead as far as I know and she doesn't know of any future appearance on the show yet, so with some major changes that the show has already done and the liberty they're taking with their changes... Depending on her role in book 6, it might be possible that they'll just not have Lady Stoneheart appear at all, and that scares me.

I mean, when Brienne met Arya, I felt completely cheated. And the way Sandor and Arya said their names multiple times already is a pretty terrible inclusion as well. I just feel that it would be a bad thing if the show kept changing so many things as they feel fit.
    3DS friend code: 2964-8756-2295
    Games: Pokemon Y & Alpha Sapphire

Well, given the nature of stoneheart, they can also recast and put them in heavy makeup. They've already recast other characters with more drastic actor changes without an in-story explanation and... it's... really not a big deal.

And if the actress hasn't read ahead, then... of course she figures she's done and will be looking for more work... but I'm sure they';ll tell her "be available for a day two years from now."
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Just got into the books.

On the clash of kings. Really good series.

TWOW prologue mild spoiler from comic con
    Spoiler:
    Jeyne Westerling will appear in it

source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFn9...D8kuEs_QsuQIyJ
    around 9:30 minutes in

Devoured the world book (even bought the kindle version), highlights:

Spoiler:

Egg trying to bring reforms to make HUMAN RIGHTS in Westeros
    Nymeria's travels
    The citadel's fundation, the black stones
    The five forts
    "There are no children in Ashai"
    The Mazebuilders
    The fact that tie Ibb are practicaly Dwarves, and that the Sothoros people are practicaly orcs, they even can breed with humans, but the product is in the best cases infertile
    Reynes of Castamere
    How awesome is Bravos
    How the Dotraki ruin everything, and how every city in their wastelands is "Vaes Insult"

3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

r.r. martin told in an intervieuw i lost that in the coming season of the tv series more important people will die than in the books so the writers are leaving the books to mke their own story. I would like to putt a freinly wager on which people might die in the next season.

so i propose everyone put down 5 people who are most likely to die. for every death you had right you get one virtual coocky.
    my list (almost random guesses):
    Spoiler:

cersie
    reek
    bronn
    mance raydar
    littlefinger

Why did you post to the book thread?

Cersei has a big humilation yet to come, Tyrion, Dany and Arya have plot and popularity immunity till the end, while Jon and Bran needs to payoff *somehow*.

If there were to be a *major* character to die off book script, Jamie or Brienne make the most sense since they "ruined" Jaimie and Brienne "dies" anyway at the end of book four. Anyway, it'll almost certainly be secondaries and minor characters (or combined characters), since the show has been doing that all along.

Besides, without Stoneheart and Gendry, the politics of the riverlands being replaced by the snake sands having sex, there's not much for them to actualy do.

They might as well get rid of the greyjoys, as they seem to be useless, but not balon, noo, he must live untill the end.
    SW-4128-8032-0729

i was hoping they would take a big step away from the story so people will get in other situations. and in this thread we can compare the series with the books for now, in the tv series thread that wouldnt be allowed

As I understood, the story in the show is going to break off following some of general outlines Martin gave the authors.

Which means the show might contain some important book spoilers.

Don't know how in hell I'll manage to avoid those for like 10 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    Trying to understand Bleach is like trying to drink a bottle of bleach.

It makes no sense and you'll be dead before you're finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Razh View Post
    Don't know how in hell I'll manage to avoid those for like 10 years.
    Pretty sure most at this point most have accepted that if the show kinda spoils what'll happen in the books series, it'll be impossible to avoid spoilers for however long it takes to get the last book out.

The main upshot is, even if they *do* spoil something from the books, up until the book actually comes out we can still assume its just the show doing its own thing... and obviously, even if an outcome is the same the actual route and moment itself will be much different.

SInce Martin claims to not have an actual hard outline, and there's no book script to go from, the show's version is going to be very very different no matter what. A conversation of "this characters ends up here at the end" isn't the same as "this character goes through ____, and _____, and ______, and then does this thing to end up at the end result of __________".

Sort of thing anime does all the time. The Trigun anime for instance killed Woflwood YEARS before the manga did, and had a showdown with all the gung-ho guns and Knives... but then the manga did the exact same points *completely* differently. Or the first Full Metal Alchemist anime.

Whatever overlap there is won't be that bad as far as spoilers go. Especially since Martin can even change his mind on how something goes down after seeing how the show does it.

If I remember right, Martin apparently told the director or whoever how its supposed to end, so that could end up getting kinda incorporated in the show. Of course, the tv show'll do whatever it feels is best for the tv show. The fact that there seem to be a lot of plots(Young Griff, Ironborn, LSH, Arianne) that seem like they're getting cut from the TV show should already change the story a fairly good bit and possibly the ending as well.

Well yeah, it's impossible to know what plot points in the future seasons are going to correlate with the upcoming books, but if they do spoil anything, it's probably not going to be something small.

I just can't risk that. And since I'm not hooked on the show, it won't be a problem. I can only hope some shitty tv-show meme from 9gag won't spoil anything important for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Razh View Post
    Well yeah, it's impossible to know what plot points in the future seasons are going to correlate with the upcoming books, but if they do spoil anything, it's probably not going to be something small.

I just can't risk that. And since I'm not hooked on the show, it won't be a problem. I can only hope some shitty tv-show meme from 9gag won't spoil anything important for me.
    It's not like Ned's decapitation, the mother of dragons, blackwater, the red weding, the purple wedding, tyrion's trial weren't everywhere.. Oh wait, they were.

Only Tywin's death was keept somewhat underwraps.
    SW-4128-8032-0729

It will be literally impossible to avoid spoilers when they come out, assholes everywhere will celebrate as they get to ruin people's shit. Any youtube video comments, any news article comments, any post on tumblr or thread on reddit all have the risk of some moron spamming plot spoilers.

I'm not looking forward to it.

Yeah, that's why I'm concerned. In fact, I had a bad feeling ever since I saw the first meme with Ned popping up on Facebook wall. Never figured the books would take this long, though. Always kinda hoped Martin has done the hardest parts and just needed to fill in the details.

Guess I'll just... go off the grid for a couple of years.

http://www.georgerrmartin.com/excerp...nds-of-winter/

New chapter, as with the last one (Mercy) I think that it's a preemptive publish to have the first view.
    SW-4128-8032-0729

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information