+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10

Thread: A Song of Ice and Fire (book thread)

21st Century Schizoid Man Johnny B. Decent's Avatar

Default Re: A Song of Ice and Fire (book thread)

Holy fuck. And we give Oda grief for taking breaks and stuff.

Sweet Home Chicago Cyan D. Funk's Avatar

Winds isn't coming out until at the earliest 2020.

Dance is never coming out.

Dunk and Egg will never be finished.

We're never getting those fucking ice spiders.

I have no problem with the book taking five or six years to write. It takes the time it takes. ANd I don't want to be one of those assholes that harps on Martin's age (he's almost 70) or worries that it'll never finish. I'd rather it take a while and be good forever instead of being meh like the last one.

But now at minimum we'll be hitting 8 years before the next one. The entire tv show will have started and finished in that time. It's just... threshold of patience and understanding being reached.

Aso, Kingkiller Chronicle. Exact same problem and timeframe. Same exact issue with bonus books coming out before finishing the actual story. Patrick Rothfus, what gives?

At least we have Brandon Sanderson cranking novels out like clockwork.

What I read about Rothfus is that he had to "dismantelle" the whole book in these years, I don't get it and it will be most likelly something like the merenesse knot.

I'm thinking on skipping the targaryen book. The story on that one is that Elio and Linda are the ones writting it on notes that he has of the kings, but even that ...

Arg, I'm salty about this. IDC.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Good lord, I just checked the last time someone posted here. Two years ago, and not a inch close to Winds of Winter.

Quote Originally Posted by maxterdexter View Post
    What I read about Rothfus is that he had to "dismantelle" the whole book in these years, I don't get it and it will be most likelly something like the merenesse knot.
    Supposedly the entire trilogy was written before the first one came out. But that's... clearly not actually the case at this point.

Discovered Stowaway MajinArekkusu's Avatar

He either has no clue how to bring all the plots together to finish the story out, obviously has the big points planned, but maybe no clue how to connect them well, or is waiting on how the series finale will be received etc.

But ultimately I gave up hope. Books will never be finished.
    To support Viz and SHUEISHAs MANGA Plus service hosting all Jump manga for FREE, WORLDWIDE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version.

Quote Originally Posted by S.C. Amigo View Post
    Holy fuck. And we give Oda grief for taking breaks and stuff.
    Wait. Who does what?

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    Wait. Who does what?
    You're better off not knowing.

Basically the fame and pressure got to GRRM's head. I don't know if he's too worried about making it perfect or if he's just completely deprioritized it, but something has clearly gone wrong. We got updates on GRRM inching towards completion for the first couple years but it feels like the last two have been total radio silence.

Can we just get Brandon Sanderson to ghostwrite this series too?

If you get dunked on in the dream, you get dunked on in real life

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwok View Post
    Can we just get Brandon Sanderson to ghostwrite this series too?
    I'd rather we keep getting Stormlight books. Already they've officially moved to a 3 year schedule instead of the 2 Sanderson originally hoped... and Wheel of Time delayed the second book a lot.

But Sanderson also cranks out 2 or 3 books a year when he's not doing the massive tomes so he can be forgiven.

I've seen some people say that, well, once the show concludes the story they'll have no reason to read the books anymore. I don't feel that way at all. The drip in quality is very noticeable (and the rise in quality when they adapt a book story arc and do it well). The show - from what I've read - have only been given a few end-game details; everything else is their own. So I want to read the remainder of the books, I want to see how George handles Jon, how he handles Jaime, Lady Stoneheart and even Young Griff.

And I understand writing them is difficult, and have become more difficult as the books went along. He had to involve all 7 realms, had to introduce new Iron Island(?) characters, a huge Dorne plot, an Young Griff plot that surely can end only one way. It's a complicated and interwoven web.

I'm patient but why on earth did he have to get sidetracked with writing a Targeryen history book ...

I've had a bad feeling ever since the show was first announced. Definitely not gonna pay for the book once it comes out. Take that!
    Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    Trying to understand Bleach is like trying to drink a bottle of bleach.

It makes no sense and you'll be dead before you're finished.

The show was what made me aware of the franchise, but once I moved to the books I dropped the show entirely (I think two or three episodes into the second season), so that won't be a problem for me. But I fear GRRM may end up thinking "you know what? Let's say the story moved on to the show and that's how it actually ends. People already got an ending, I will just focus on adding side stories".

I don't think that's how George thinks. He's doing westeros stuff out of obligation to the fans, I feel.

I read a few of his pre ASOIAF stuff and his short sci fi stories were pretty good. Dark and bleak as well.

My guess is that if he could do what he wants, he'd do another sci fi short story or something that doesn't involve wind or winter.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Georgieboy is also pressuring himself to actually do things differently from the show in order to keep surprising fans. He's on record saying he's gone back and rewritten things in TWoW in order to diverge from the show.

If you get dunked on in the dream, you get dunked on in real life

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information