+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
Results 121 to 137 of 137

Thread: Mamoru Hosoda and Makoto Shinkai- The not quite Ghibli thread

  1. #121

    Default Re: Mamoru Hosoda and Makoto Shinkai- The not quite Ghibli thread

    I'M SO SORRY FOR LIKING A THING ON THE INTERNET.

    *sobs and wails*

  2. #122

    Default Re: Mamoru Hosoda and Makoto Shinkai- The not quite Ghibli thread

    Alright, so I finally got around to watching Your Name, the Makoto Shinkai that everyone's raving about it, so, naturally, I had to see it. And...yeah, I quite enjoyed it. It was a really good movie. Beautifully animated and solid heart-warming story. About halfway through, I got a little nervous since I wasn't really sure where the movie was going, but I was quite pleased once everything came together in the final act. And, though I feel they were a tad underdeveloped, I did care about Taki and Mitsuha and was worried about what would happen to them.

    So yeah, while I didn't like it as much as, say, Wolf Children, it's a good film and I'm glad I saw it.


  3. #123

    Default Re: Mamoru Hosoda and Makoto Shinkai- The not quite Ghibli thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    Alright, so I finally got around to watching Your Name, the Makoto Shinkai that everyone's raving about it, so, naturally, I had to see it. And...yeah, I quite enjoyed it. It was a really good movie. Beautifully animated and solid heart-warming story. About halfway through, I got a little nervous since I wasn't really sure where the movie was going, but I was quite pleased once everything came together in the final act. And, though I feel they were a tad underdeveloped, I did care about Taki and Mitsuha and was worried about what would happen to them.

    So yeah, while I wouldn't say I like it as much as, say, Wolf Children, it's a good film and I'm glad I saw it.
    *hug*

    WELCOME ABOARD.

  4. #124

    Default Re: Mamoru Hosoda and Makoto Shinkai- The not quite Ghibli thread

    How this didn't get posted back in March when it first popped up I don't know. Hosoda's fifth film, (not counting franchises) Mirai (The Girl from the Future)



    That looks like a Hosoda film all right.

    Its already out in Japan and apparently hits North America at the end of November. (If that's limited theatrical or dvd release, I'm not sure.)

    Well, I really liked Summer Wars and LOVED Wolf Children, but was only okay with GHLTT and Boy and the Beast, so... we'll see.

  5. #125

    Default Re: Mamoru Hosoda and Makoto Shinkai- The not quite Ghibli thread

    Just saw Mirai, the new Mamoru Hosoda film

    Spoiler:
    The best way I can describe it is cute, but...strange.

    So going in I wasn't really sure what to expect. All I knew was that it was about a young boy who, after getting a baby sister, goes on a magical journey where he meets her future self. And yes, that's true, but that's really only part of the story.

    The basic premise is that Kun (that's the boy's name), after getting his new sister (Mirai), becomes jealous and starts acting like a brat. Throughout the movie, Kun has a series of tantrums and after each one he's goes on a mystical time-traveling adventure, each time initiated when he enters his home's courtyard. Through these adventures, he learns more about and comes to terms with each of his family members; his sister, his mom, his dad, and even the family dog who, strangely, becomes an anthropomorphized human. Not sure why the dog becomes human. I guess to make him more relatable and sympathetic to Kun (and the audience)?

    So yeah, that sounds like a nice enough premise for a movie, but I feel like it lacks focus. The thing is, while Kun does go on journey's where he learns about each of his family members, they still try to make his relationship with Mirai the core of the story. And I think that's the movie's biggest problem is that they try to have it both ways. If they wanted to make a movie solely about a learning about each member of his family equally, fine. And if they wanted it to be more focused on just the brother and sister, that's also fine. But they try to do both and I feel like each one kind of detracts from the other. I mean, based on the posters and marketing, you'd think that Mirai's future self would play a bigger role, but she's only prominent in two of Kun's five adventures. Maybe if they had just kept her as a companion throughout the whole thing it would've worked better?

    Also, it's a bit of a daring move to make a toddler the main character of your story, which I can commend Hosoda for trying, but also confess that I'm not sure he totally succeeds. The thing about toddlers is that they're still very much in their developmental stage, so it seems a little unfair to put one through such an an intense and emotional character arc. But, then again, I guess the story never gets too dire. And up to the end, it's left ambiguous as to whether this is all actually happening or if it's just in Kun's head. And one could argue that Kun's adventures are just a creative visual metaphor of him going through that developmental process.

    That said, Kun himself can get pretty grating. I think another problem with the film is that you're never quite sure what, if any, progress he's making throughout his adventures. At the end of each adventure it seems like he's learned something, but then in the next scene he just goes back to his bratty self (that is until the very end anyway)

    Anyway, as is typical of my movie reviews, I guess it may sound like I thought this movie was a disappointment, but on the contrary there's lots to like about. The animation and designs are great, as is typical of Hosoda's art. There aren't as many dashing or awe-inspiring segments as in his previous films, but this is a simpler film, so I guess it's not really warranted. And, of course, Kun and Mirai just have those adorable designs that make you want to cuddle them and pinch their cheeks. That said, going back to the strange factor, this is probably Hosoda's most experimental film, art-wise. He makes a lot more use of CGI in this film, particularly in one segment Kun's final adventure, and well...yeah, I think your mileage is definitely gonna vary on it.

    And, for the most part, all the characters are likeable and relatable. I know I said that Kun can be grating, but you kinda give him a pass since he is a toddler after all, and it is understandable that he would act that way. And, of course, he learns his lesson at the end.

    Oh, and I'm sure some of you may be wondering if this film also falls prey to Hosoda's third act curse (for those who don't know, Hosoda tends to have trouble bringing his stories together in the third act). I'm happy to report that that was not the case in this movie. The quality of the film stays pretty consistent throughout the whole thing (at least from my point of view). But, as I said before, the film still does have issues, mainly in the overall structure and focus of it.

    So yeah, that's pretty much Mirai. A cute, leisurely-paced, somewhat flawed, but delightful slice-of-life fantasy film that continues Hosoda's trend of exploring family relationships. And though it doesn't reach the emotional heights of Wolf Children (which remains my favorite Hosoda film) it's still a very sweet well-meaning movie that I'd say is worth your time. I'm not sure where this movie will stand in my ranking of Hosoda's films over time, but for now I can at least say that it definitely was not quite what I was expecting.

  6. #126

    Default Re: Mamoru Hosoda and Makoto Shinkai- The not quite Ghibli thread

    For what it's worth, I thought Mirai sucked. Feels like Hosoda has lost all grasp of narrative since Wolf Children, and even that had some flow problems. There are some cute moments and great animation, but I kept waiting for it to find a gear or a theme or something and then it just...ended. Genuinely annoyed I paid money to see it.

    And FWIW, I'm usually fully on board with Nobodyman's takes [see Your Name hug above], so I could definitely be an outlier on this one. But...well, I might go into it more later, but I thought it was just an unfocused mess that never really demonstrated any good reason to exist.

  7. #127

    Default Re: Mamoru Hosoda and Makoto Shinkai- The not quite Ghibli thread

    Quote Originally Posted by tatermoog View Post
    And FWIW, I'm usually fully on board with Nobodyman's takes [see Your Name hug above], so I could definitely be an outlier on this one. But...well, I might go into it more later, but I thought it was just an unfocused mess that never really demonstrated any good reason to exist.
    I'll probably have to see it again and see how it holds up on a second viewing, but I definitely agree with you that the film was very unfocused. But it does have a 92% rating on RT, so I guess most people liked it.

  8. #128

    Default Re: Mamoru Hosoda and Makoto Shinkai- The not quite Ghibli thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    I'll probably have to see it again and see how it holds up on a second viewing, but I definitely agree with you that the film was very unfocused. But it does have a 92% rating on RT, so I guess most people liked it.
    Yeah, I was surprised how far off I was from the general reviews. Very similar to Ponyo, which I hated but got rave reviews and generally positive reception from folk I knew.

    I'll try and parse my way through it tomorrow, but still kind of annoyed at the moment.

  9. #129

    Default Re: Mamoru Hosoda and Makoto Shinkai- The not quite Ghibli thread

    So, a few more specific thoughts:

    Spoiler:
    The movie is very vignette-based, which is perfectly fine, but they don't really have much to do with each other. In particular, the two most entertaining and compelling sequences--Future Mirai with the dolls and Kun with his great-grandfather--are from two entirely different movies. The Future Mirai sequence really sets up this whole mystery--why is she here from the future? What's the deal with the Future Mirai/Baby Mirai not being able to be in the same area? Is she actually visible/present to other folk, like her father?--and does absolutely jack-shit with it. For the movie supposedly centering on Mirai, she's not even in it much. Meanwhile, the whole "learning to ride a bike" sequence is actually great and endearing and all, but what does it have to do with anything else? A movie centered around Future Mirai or a movie centered on Kun learning from the history of his family would be great, but it half-asses both and they barely interconnect.

    For that matter, what is the theme of the movie? It seems to be Future Mirai's last little speech about how families are made up of all the little choices, but that's barely relevant to half the movie. And for that matter, why is she travelling back in time to teach that to Toddler-Kun? I thought that the last fantasy sequence might reference Future-Kun running away and Mirai trying to stop it, but...why is this the approach? And even then, that's probably just me trying to find some meaning in all that pointless weirdness.

    Doesn't help that the movie falls flat in every other regard for me as well. The soundtrack is very middle-of-the-road, Kun is pretty unlikable even by "annoying kid" standards [and what's with his voice actor?], there's barely even any good emotional payoff for the vignettes, and the best characters are either in it briefly or get no payoff. AND WHY DID HE TURN INTO A DOG AT THAT ONE POINT AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA


    One last thought on why reviews and my take were so far apart--and I may sound pretentious here, because, again, Nobodyman liked the movie and he has more sense than I do--is that the movie taps into an area that's still pretty badly underserved in western cinema, namely slice-of-life film-making. Plus, with the decline of non-CGI animation in the West, think there's a tendency to be more impressed with this stuff over here than elsewhere (see previous critiques of my love for Your Name's animation for one example). But man, this was a disappointment for me.

  10. #130

    Default Re: Mamoru Hosoda and Makoto Shinkai- The not quite Ghibli thread

    Quote Originally Posted by tatermoog View Post
    Nobodyman liked the movie and he has more sense than I do
    LOL, I have NO idea why you would think that.

  11. #131

    Default Re: Mamoru Hosoda and Makoto Shinkai- The not quite Ghibli thread

    Well, not by either of the guys this thread has in the title, but I heard about this and this looks like a thing.



    In some theaters this weekend?
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

    Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

  12. #132
    Formerly Vegard Aune Lord Starfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    The middle of nowhere

    Default Re: Mamoru Hosoda and Makoto Shinkai- The not quite Ghibli thread

    Quote Originally Posted by tatermoog View Post
    So, a few more specific thoughts:

    Spoiler:
    The movie is very vignette-based, which is perfectly fine, but they don't really have much to do with each other. In particular, the two most entertaining and compelling sequences--Future Mirai with the dolls and Kun with his great-grandfather--are from two entirely different movies. The Future Mirai sequence really sets up this whole mystery--why is she here from the future? What's the deal with the Future Mirai/Baby Mirai not being able to be in the same area? Is she actually visible/present to other folk, like her father?--and does absolutely jack-shit with it. For the movie supposedly centering on Mirai, she's not even in it much. Meanwhile, the whole "learning to ride a bike" sequence is actually great and endearing and all, but what does it have to do with anything else? A movie centered around Future Mirai or a movie centered on Kun learning from the history of his family would be great, but it half-asses both and they barely interconnect.

    For that matter, what is the theme of the movie? It seems to be Future Mirai's last little speech about how families are made up of all the little choices, but that's barely relevant to half the movie. And for that matter, why is she travelling back in time to teach that to Toddler-Kun? I thought that the last fantasy sequence might reference Future-Kun running away and Mirai trying to stop it, but...why is this the approach? And even then, that's probably just me trying to find some meaning in all that pointless weirdness.

    Doesn't help that the movie falls flat in every other regard for me as well. The soundtrack is very middle-of-the-road, Kun is pretty unlikable even by "annoying kid" standards [and what's with his voice actor?], there's barely even any good emotional payoff for the vignettes, and the best characters are either in it briefly or get no payoff. AND WHY DID HE TURN INTO A DOG AT THAT ONE POINT AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA


    One last thought on why reviews and my take were so far apart--and I may sound pretentious here, because, again, Nobodyman liked the movie and he has more sense than I do--is that the movie taps into an area that's still pretty badly underserved in western cinema, namely slice-of-life film-making. Plus, with the decline of non-CGI animation in the West, think there's a tendency to be more impressed with this stuff over here than elsewhere (see previous critiques of my love for Your Name's animation for one example). But man, this was a disappointment for me.
    I realize that I'm responding to a comment from over four months ago here, but... eh, I didn't notice this thread before now. You hit the nail on the head for me. Except that I would say the soundtrack was just straight-up bad. Which has been a recurring issue I've had with every Hosoda movie after Summer Wars, but Wolf Children and to a lesser extent Boy and the Beast managed to make up for it in other ways. Mirai, though? I spent the entire movie pretty much trying to find a reason to like it... But I never did. Leaving the cinema I just had to come to the depressing conclusion that there genuinely was nothing about this movie that I enjoyed, other than just the fact that it was well animated and I guess the theme songs weren't too terrible.

    It's weird, really... I took a trip to Japan, and was like "I'm gonna watch the new Pokémon movie and the new Hosoda movie!", fully expecting to love the Hosoda movie while having very middling expectations of the Pokémon one... Ended up loving the Pokémon movie and actively hating the Hosoda movie.

  13. #133

    Default Re: Mamoru Hosoda and Makoto Shinkai- The not quite Ghibli thread

    So, my queue of films include:

    - mirai
    - penguin highway
    - wolf's children (yes, i'm in the small group of people that never got the chance to see this high rated movie, despite knowing it since years)
    - children of the sea (not yet released)
    - weathering with you (tenki no ko). This one is top of my watch list

  14. #134

    Default Re: Mamoru Hosoda and Makoto Shinkai- The not quite Ghibli thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Starfish View Post
    Mirai, though? I spent the entire movie pretty much trying to find a reason to like it... But I never did. Leaving the cinema I just had to come to the depressing conclusion that there genuinely was nothing about this movie that I enjoyed, other than just the fact that it was well animated and I guess the theme songs weren't too terrible.
    Probably speaks poorly of the movie that, after seeing this post, I was like, "hey, Starfish agrees with me about Mirai, and the...uh...what the hell was even in that movie?" I remember almost nothing except the feeling of disappointment.

    ...and it's so nice to see someone agree that I'll ignore that you thought the soundtrack to Wolf Children wasn't good.

  15. #135
    Formerly Vegard Aune Lord Starfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    The middle of nowhere

    Default Re: Mamoru Hosoda and Makoto Shinkai- The not quite Ghibli thread

    Quote Originally Posted by tatermoog View Post
    ...and it's so nice to see someone agree that I'll ignore that you thought the soundtrack to Wolf Children wasn't good.
    Well to be fair, I really only remember two tracks from it: The music that played when Ame was running through the mountains with the old fox, which has always bothered me because it kinda sounds like three different songs being played at the same time, and the ending song which, while certainly fitting the tone of the story, just did not really work that well for me. Well, okay, I also remember the movie starting with an instrumental version of said ending theme which, to be fair, was actually quite nice.

  16. #136

    Default Re: Mamoru Hosoda and Makoto Shinkai- The not quite Ghibli thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Starfish View Post
    Well to be fair, I really only remember two tracks from it: The music that played when Ame was running through the mountains with the old fox, which has <em>always</em> bothered me because it kinda sounds like three different songs being played at the same time, and the ending song which, while certainly fitting the tone of the story, just did not really work that well for me. Well, okay, I also remember the movie starting with an instrumental version of said ending theme which, to be fair, <em>was</em> actually quite nice.
    I mean, this one certainly stuck with me:



    But I know what you mean about some of the rest. The mountain-climbing song in particular is super weird, but I actually like it for the reasons you don't. *shrug* Like, legit one of my favorite tunes from the soundtrack. But think that's more weird of me than you.
    Hang in there, Kierkegaard.

  17. #137

    Default Re: Mamoru Hosoda and Makoto Shinkai- The not quite Ghibli thread

    Well, I saw Penguin Highway.

    It was animated nicely with pretty backgrounds.

    That's the only good thing I have to say about it.



    It was also a 30 minute short disguised as a 2 hour movie. It absolutely did not need to be as long as it was to tell the story it was telling.

    Also it made me feel like a super skeevy pervert. So that's a thing.

    I know I'm the one that brought it up, but don't suggest making an effort to go out of your way to see it.

    Spoiler:
    The main character was a 10 year old with a crush on an older woman. And at the very start of the film, it very explicitly had him fantasizing about boobs. Drawing diagrams, trying to recreate them with melons, and talking to his friends about how "that woman's boobs make me feel nice in a way my mom's don't." No really, that's an actual line of dialogue.

    And then not much later, he's playing Chess with older lady (who is NEVER given a name in the whole film. She's just "The Lady". That's explicitly what they call her even though she's a person) and she chastizes him for staring at her chest, but then seems okay with it.

    And then the movie sort of rolls on. Okay, its a coming of age film, that's part of life, its a THING and that's fine. Presumably by the end of the film he gets over it and develops feelings for a girl his own age. But, then, throughout the entire rest of the movie, the camera keeps framing the shots so her head is above camera and its on her chest, or she looms in a certain way, and it just feels... weird. And skeevy.

    Like maybe if the kid hadn't so explicitly gone on about it at the start, I wouldn't have even noticed but... I did. And if it was blatant for fun fanservice being fanservice, that's fine, there's a time and place for that, I enjoy fanservice just fine and have no problem with it. But in this case it was just sort of subtley THERE and omnipresent. The whole film. And I felt like *I* was a 10 year old pervert for noticing.

    That's not fun. That's not sexy. That's just.... eww.

    Near the end of the film there's a scene where she pulls the kid to her in a hug. And in any other movie it might be a sweet touching moment. But it's drawn and focused on in such a way that his head is explicitly between her boobs. And it's not played for comedy or commented on or anything, its just the hug pulls him there and lingers and it's like... is this supposed to be sad or emotional? Because I'm just focused on the boob thing now.
    Also the kid is written like an obnoxious brat, and he has the dialogue and mindset of a 30 year old instead of a 10 year old, because the writer can't write children.
    Last edited by Robby; April 19th, 2019 at 07:05 PM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

    Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts