+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 55 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast

Thread: World Trigger

Default Re: World Trigger

Quote Originally Posted by NateRich View Post
    WT>Bleach even with Ch 1-3

Not a huge fan of how seemingly underpowered the "main" character is but we'll see I guess
    Are comparing Bleach's first 3 chapters with these first 3?

Because I thoroughly enjoyed Bleach in the beginning. This one is kinda meh.
    if you want to check out my game progress: http://soggybreadgm.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by pyromonki View Post
    Are comparing Bleach's first 3 chapters with these first 3?

Because I thoroughly enjoyed Bleach in the beginning. This one is kinda meh.
    Well if you read this and Bleach's chapters carefully, you will notice that they share a lot of characteristics. They're not stupidly obvious, but they are pretty apparent.

Ichigo did beat up some punks first chapter iirc.

WT Author: Hmm, first page has Ichigo beating up bullies. OF COURSE! That must be why Bleach is so popular! *goes off and writes 3 chapters straight with bullies getting beaten up*

Fortunately...Ch4 is the exception.

Where is your God now? PatTraverse's Avatar

At least Bleach had an actual cast of characters by chapter 4.

bleach actually had a very ideal model shounen first chapter

The only qualm I had with Bleach chapter one is we never really got the main character's objective (which ISN'T a necessity, but it helps like with OP's "pirate king/shank's hat" and Naruto's "hokage". It gives the story an immediate direction/sense of purpose. But it apparently, in the long run, this problem still seems apparent since the story does seem to still lack a sense of purpose.

However, Bleach chapter 1 had a lot of major pluses that would easily entice readers. Stylistically unique, violent, fast paced, quirky designs, and compelling premise (all of which has been absent in Bleach for a LONG time).

It also subverted a lot of tropes and had characters you were interested in from the getgo.

Kubo what happened. You used to be so good at character designs. :[

Quote Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
    It also subverted a lot of tropes[
    What are you talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Endless Strategy View Post
    What are you talking about?
    Instead of the typical stupidly happy idiot hero, Ichigo was snarky and did good in school. People thought he was a delinquent, and though he was good-natured, he wouldn't put up with people's bullshit. He also had a social life from the start (unlike seemingly every shonen protagonist in school ever) and said friends had social lives of their own (rather that being attached to Ichigo at the hip).

Rukia has the opposite body type of the average shonen heroine, and was also snarky without being stupidly tsundere.

Rather than being a total damsel in distress, Orihime was able to take care of herself when she and Tatsuki were stuck fighting that one hollow. She was also the one who saved the day there, rather that relying on Tatsuki (or Ichigo) to do it for her.

Orihime also wasn't only good for defense and healing either, and she didn't need to just act as support for someone else. Her powers also had attack capabilities; and had Kubo not retconned that, her fights could've been awesome.

Yachiru was Zaraki's morality pet, yeah. However, she was just as crazy as him, and had strength to back it up. She also wasn't stupidly innocent and ~*KAWAII*~. They're actually the only duo of that type I can think of that I actually like because of that.

Hanatarou seems like the typical dweeb-roped-into-the-plot-against-his will, but he has enough guts to offer to sacrifice himself so Ganju and Rukia can get away. He also straight up acknowledges that he wouldn't die for someone he hated and that he'd understand if Ganju didn't go with it (which is really nice since most just ~*believe in the power of trust*~) and that's it.

Keep in mind these are from when Bleach was still good. Everything blew up to high heaven after Soul Society. :[

Imagine how good Bleach would have been if it was co-written by Lucifer & the Biscuit Hammer guy. So much potential wasted.

..... As for World Trigger, I always like these types of premises, but I don't have too much confidence in this guy's writing.
    I hope he proves me wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by valiantt View Post
    The only qualm I had with Bleach chapter one is we never really got the main character's objective (which ISN'T a necessity, but it helps like with OP's "pirate king/shank's hat" and Naruto's "hokage". It gives the story an immediate direction/sense of purpose. But it apparently, in the long run, this problem still seems apparent since the story does seem to still lack a sense of purpose.

However, Bleach chapter 1 had a lot of major pluses that would easily entice readers. Stylistically unique, violent, fast paced, quirky designs, and compelling premise (all of which has been absent in Bleach for a LONG time).
    Well Bleach did start off with two recurring characters at the first chapter (until Rukia lost importance :P) which was good for getting some characterization out of the way. Did Ichigo ever say that he wanted to "defeat all the hollows to save the world" or anything like that? I can't remember that far back with this story.

Imagine how good Bleach would have been if it was co-written by Lucifer & the Biscuit Hammer guy. So much potential wasted.
    I think he would prefer having the money all to himself than to split the cash with another writer even if it's to make the story more powerful.

As for World Trigger... I hope for the writer's sake, that he start introducing the characters from the first title page soon. The two characters now don't seem to have much chemistry working between them besides "Why are you so bad at doing anything, four eyes?" which isn't very exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by Gradivus View Post
    Well Bleach did start off with two recurring characters at the first chapter (until Rukia lost importance :P) which was good for getting some characterization out of the way. Did Ichigo ever say that he wanted to "defeat all the hollows to save the world" or anything like that? I can't remember that far back with this story.
    Nope, he's only ever been concerned with protecting his small circle of family and friends, although he felt obligated to protect Karakura after Rukia saved his life. He is not at all proactive: if Aizen hadn't threatened Karakura, he very well may have stayed out of the Winter War.

Quote Originally Posted by Aohige_AP View Post
    As for World Trigger, I always like these types of premises, but I don't have too much confidence in this guy's writing.
    I hope he proves me wrong.
    You'd think Jump editors would have first chapters down to a formula by now.

Ashihara's been writing one-sided fights with no buildup. Even though it was to establish how strong Kuga was, it was still boring.

Chapter 4 was a step up, at least. Hopefully it'll stay that way.

It has definitely been a step up, but I still think the protagonist is a robot and (=3=) is a brat. At least Ichigo HAD a personality and Rukia was amusingly sassy. The characters are not doing it for me (yet), but the action was good (at least in ch4) and the world is...interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by valiantt View Post
    and the world is...interesting.
    It seems like a rather standard monster of the week setup to me.

Five chapters, and still only two characters.

The way 5 ended, we may FINALLY see new characters in six. Maybe.

Read the latest chapter in american wsj. Yeah, it feels like this should've been chapter 2 and the last one should've been incorporated into chapter 1. Seriously, I know I'm echoing general sentiment here, but he should've been doing this stuff in the beginning instead of dragging on with the whole bully thing. If he really needed to include the whole bully aspect, it should've been after stuff like this got people excited. It also should've been used to introduce characters (either the bully, the victim, or both would work) as well as to show how out of place that kid is. And yeah, characters are pretty boring in general right now. I think if he had started with this stuff he may have had a shot, but I get the feeling it'll be another canceled series just due to how slow and boring the first 3 chapters were

At least it has a bit to float on, given what's running right now.

(Unless Joker, Cross Manage, Kiruko, and Edison all get taken out in one go.)

Still sorta boring.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information