+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Katzztar's Korner

Default Re: Katzztar's Korner

Why did Doffy use the real Mera Mera no Mi?

This was asked a few times in the chapter 744 thread and I decided to ponder it. =

On why didn't Doffy use a fake instead of real Mera Mera... They showed the actual fruit before the start of the tournament.

And yeah some will/may say "But they could have changed it out when the put it in the chest!"

I admit I had thought that for a few minutes, then I realized, no they couldn't. They already showed the fruit at the beginning.

"So why didn't they show a fake fruit then?"

I think that maybe the Mera Mera no Mi is one of those fruits that are listed in that guidebook that tells what DF is what.
    Sanji and Blackbeard had known what certain devil fruits powers were and which they wanted (Sanji wanted the invisibity that was eaten by Absolom. BB stole darkness from Thatch). Blackbeard knew what his Devil Fruit looked like before he actually found it. So it would be known to anyone who read the book what the devil fruit would have looked like.

"Why use it in his plan? What really was his plan?"

He wanted them to fight for it.. but planned that they wouldn't really get it. The plan was to use the tourney to weaken the contestants so they cam be transformed into toys. It would round down to only 4 contestants, one from each block who would then fight against 4 family members. Doffy had belief that Senor Pink, Lao G, Dellinger and Macvise would be able to defeat any comers, that someone from his family would stop the DF from being taken. So he went on with using the real Mera Mera no Mi.

"Why do that at all? Surely the Mera Mera is/was too valuable for such a risk!"

Think of how many contestants that were in this tourney! Luffy was the last to sign up and he was #556! Is it any wonder why Doffy set this up?
    That is over 5 hundred new and strong victims, stronger than the civilians, to ebecome toys and be totally enslaved to the Doflamingo crew.

To sum it up=
    I think the tourney was rigged from the start in order to get a large supply of new slaves and it was planned the DF would stay in the hadns of Doffy's crew.

The Mera Mera no Mi was listed in the book on Devil Fruits, so anyone who looked at the book would know what it looked like. Doffy was too cocky and thought there was no serious competition to his crew in the tourney and that the mera mera would stay in his hands.
    This meant that Doffy had no choice but to show actual DF to show it really was there.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

The so-called "Usopp is Buggy-Savior 2.0" issue

or a better though longer title

On the difference/similarity of Buggy and Usopp being seen as god/savior by a large mass of prisioners that are stronger

Buggy freed the prisoners from their cells- because it would cause chaos that would increase his chances of escape. He knew he was weaker than them and wanted them to distract the guards.
    That is a selfish reason.
    Buggy did not take action because he wanted to help them, he did so because he wanted to use them as canon fodder!
    When the prisoners began to worship him, even when it was Luffy's group (jinbe/Iva/Croco) that got them out of the actual building, they gave Buggy credit for all of the effort of freeing them and Buggy went with it, continuing the charade willingly.

Usopp got his worship by actually facing Sugar & Trébol, when he knew he was outclassed. So Usopp was running away at first. Remember that Usopp had a different goal before then -destroy the factory. Helping the tontatta wasn't part of the plan. Some people want to rage that "that's not nice!"? Guess what... Usopp is a pirate. As Shanks said in the very first chapter, they are pirates, not saints.

Remember that Usopp didn't have to turn around and face odd he knew he couldn't defeat and without backup. But he did so the tontotta would stop thinking he was their only hope, and would get up to fight.

Back to the situation in the here and now- Robin gets toyified, this means Usopp cannot remember that Robin exists. So no, he did not abandon Robin X_X
    Franky is elsewhere and suppose to be using another door to get there, so Usopp is under the impression that he is only Strawhat in the underground to destroy the factory. And remember that destroying the factory is reason why the Strawhats were there in Dressrosa in the first place. Usopp knew that if he went up against Sugar & Trébol, then his chances of completing his goal -the aforementioned destruction of factory- would so low as to not exist.

Yet he still decided to risk the his goal -the factory destruction- and do a good deed and help the little people. From the toys watching the fight, they said(in one translation, imply in another) it was a fierce battle going on. Sugar was knocked out and Usopp was severely beaten up. The giant acknowledges that Usopp got the injuries by fighting.

And yeah so Sugar got KO'ed by being surprised senseless .... but c'mon, the SOP plan was about shocking her all along! The fact remains it would not have happened if Usopp didn't go up against opponents that he knew he was seriously outclassed by.

The giant (sorry can't spell ?Harrujin?) said he knew that some of the toys have been there for years and if it wasn't for Usopp's stance, they would have spent their entire life as a toy enslaved.
    So Usopp didn't have such a glorious fight as we would have liked (least from little we saw) his actions did get the enslaved free and back to their human forms.

So unlike Buggy, Usopp DID do something to deserve respect from the fighters that are stronger than him.

Quote Originally Posted by Katzztar View Post
    Why did Doffy use the real Mera Mera no Mi?

And yeah some will/may say "But they could have changed it out when the put it in the chest!"

"So why didn't they show a fake fruit then?"

"Why use it in his plan? What really was his plan?"

This meant that Doffy had no choice but to show actual DF to show it really was there.
    Well even Buggy managed to make a fake devil fruit pretty fast. So Dofla with all his resources should manage to do the same. http://www.mangastream.to/one-piece-...9-page-15.html

The so-called "Usopp is Buggy-Savior 2.0" issue

or a better though longer title

On the difference/similarity of Buggy and Usopp being seen as god/savior by a large mass of prisioners that are stronger

Buggy freed the prisoners from their cells- because it would cause chaos that would increase his chances of escape. He knew he was weaker than them and wanted them to distract the guards.
    That is a selfish reason.
    Buggy did not take action because he wanted to help them, he did so because he wanted to use them as canon fodder!
    When the prisoners began to worship him, even when it was Luffy's group (jinbe/Iva/Croco) that got them out of the actual building, they gave Buggy credit for all of the effort of freeing them and Buggy went with it, continuing the charade willingly.

Usopp got his worship by actually facing Sugar & Trébol, when he knew he was outclassed. So Usopp was running away at first. Remember that Usopp had a different goal before then -destroy the factory. Helping the tontatta wasn't part of the plan. Some people want to rage that "that's not nice!"? Guess what... Usopp is a pirate. As Shanks said in the very first chapter, they are pirates, not saints.

Remember that Usopp didn't have to turn around and face odd he knew he couldn't defeat and without backup. But he did so the tontotta would stop thinking he was their only hope, and would get up to fight.

Back to the situation in the here and now- Robin gets toyified, this means Usopp cannot remember that Robin exists. So no, he did not abandon Robin X_X
    Franky is elsewhere and suppose to be using another door to get there, so Usopp is under the impression that he is only Strawhat in the underground to destroy the factory. And remember that destroying the factory is reason why the Strawhats were there in Dressrosa in the first place. Usopp knew that if he went up against Sugar & Trébol, then his chances of completing his goal -the aforementioned destruction of factory- would so low as to not exist.

Yet he still decided to risk the his goal -the factory destruction- and do a good deed and help the little people. From the toys watching the fight, they said(in one translation, imply in another) it was a fierce battle going on. Sugar was knocked out and Usopp was severely beaten up. The giant acknowledges that Usopp got the injuries by fighting.

And yeah so Sugar got KO'ed by being surprised senseless .... but c'mon, the SOP plan was about shocking her all along! The fact remains it would not have happened if Usopp didn't go up against opponents that he knew he was seriously outclassed by.

The giant (sorry can't spell ?Harrujin?) said he knew that some of the toys have been there for years and if it wasn't for Usopp's stance, they would have spent their entire life as a toy enslaved.
    So Usopp didn't have such a glorious fight as we would have liked (least from little we saw) his actions did get the enslaved free and back to their human forms.

So unlike Buggy, Usopp DID do something to deserve respect from the fighters that are stronger than him.
    Buggy did get those from the upper level out of their cages and instigate the revolt up their furthermore he was one of those that participate in the break-out from the start. Pretty normal for him to be respected by part of prisoners. Especially with his background which is authentic.

Quote Originally Posted by desa View Post
    Well even Buggy managed to make a fake devil fruit pretty fast. So Dofla with all his resources should manage to do the same. http://www.mangastream.to/one-piece-...9-page-15.html
    As I replied to access in the chapter thread... good question, one I don't have a reply to

Buggy did get those from the upper level out of their cages and instigate the revolt up their furthermore he was one of those that participate in the break-out from the start. Pretty normal for him to be respected by part of prisoners. Especially with his background which is authentic.
    Oh I'm not dissing Buggy and his followers, ( I actually enjoy them) I'm pointing out how Usopp's situation is not the "exact same as Buggy" as some were claiming. ... and still Buggy was still completely selfish but I still like him.

Oh I'm not dissing Buggy and his followers, ( I actually enjoy them) I'm pointing out how Usopp's situation is not the "exact same as Buggy" as some were claiming. ... and still Buggy was still completely selfish but I still like him.
    I doubt two situations are ever exactly the same anyway.
    Last edited by desa; April 9th, 2014 at 03:18 PM.

I doubt to situation are ever exactly the same anyway.
    Tis a pity others can't see that and stop their whining.

Article #2 - A look into the character of Usopp - quoted from tumblr

I just found this ask/answer on tumblr. It talks about Usopp and people likeing him and or disappointed in him. IT gives a good detailed synopsis of his character.
    It didn't allow me to post the exact pic of the text so I had to copy it. Nor did it give info of who and where it came from.

-begin article-
    Anonymous asked: I love Usopp a lot of the time but I have my moments where I can be disappointed in choices he makes. I'm disappointed by Sanji's constant chivalry and nosebleeds but I still love him pretty much all the time. Lately, there's been a lot of posts since Usopp's running away tactic that defends Usopp but puts down people who were disappointed. I mean, if you're not disappointed, cool, but I was. Don't put down my feelings on his choice in the fight. Am I crazy or just stupid for thinking that? :/

calgaras:

I have lots and lots of love for Usopp, and I really do think he’s one of the most well developed characters in the series. I don’t think he’s right all the time either, but what he does is extremely relateable and understandable. Take Water 7 for example: he was dead wrong about whether or not the crew should keep sailing with the Going Merry. Luffy had the same reaction that Usopp did when the shipwrights told him Merry couldn’t be repaired, and what did Iceburg say to him?

And Iceburg was right. It’s the duty of the captain to protect his whole crew, while still pressing forward to achieve his dream and the dreams of his crew. And jeopardizing the lives of the entire crew and all their dreams/futures because of an unwillingness to hurt the feelings of one of their own and make sacrifices where the needed to be made is not what a captain does.

So yeah, Usopp was dead wrong. But, I can still sympathize so much with where he was coming from. Usopp always had confidence issues with himself, and over time they just kept getting bigger and bigger. I think Aokiji’s appearance, where Usopp witnessed for the first time the entire Monster Trio being defeated with 0 effort, was a scary wake up call to him

For the first time Usopp realized that he couldn’t always depend on them to beat the big bad guys, that even if he fought and did his best, they could still all be crushed. And of course, Water 7 just drove home the idea that he wasn’t good enough to be a part of the crew harder than ever before

Usopp wasn’t just refusing to leave Merry because he was attached to it (and he WAS the closest one to it out of all of them), but because he was afraid that if the crew was willing to leave Merry behind when it wasn’t of use to them anymore they’d do the same to him one day. So he took a stand and fought to try to prove himself to both Luffy and himself. In a lot of ways it’s just like the fears Robin had about the crew, the first true family she ever had, becoming to resent her for the burden she placed on them and come to hate her, so she sacrificed herself rather than put them in harms way or give them a chance to reject her eventually.

So I disagree with Usopp sometimes, and sometimes I’m even disappointed in him. I was a bit disappointed in him when he ran away at first against Trébol and Sugar, but he came back and put his life on the line all the same. And you saw how badly he was hurt in that fight. If it had gone on any farther he probably would have died, and he knew that’s what would happen to him. And can you really look at a guy like that, a guy barely any stronger than the average tumblr user, and say to him, “hey, I know we only met a few hours ago, but could you go fight that guy who can throw ships like baseballs for us and probably die pointlessly in the process? We’d really appreciate it!”

Because that’s more or less what it was. Usopp was in far over his head. He was afraid for his life, and he was frustrated with the Tontatta putting all their hopes on him, something he admittedly fostered himself in them with his lies, and that’s understandable. Do I like that he ran away? Of course not. But I understand why he did it, because face it—every single us would have done the same, except we probably never would have come back. Usopp’s not a hero and he’s not a monster. He’s just a regular guy trying to do his best to overcome his own fears and limitations and find his place in the world, and I would hope that’s something everyone can relate to.

When it comes to whether or not you’re “crazy or stupid” for being disappointed in Usopp, those aren’t things that I would say to someone. If you can look at everything I’ve said here and still hold what Usopp did against him, then I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree. I’m not one to say things like, “if you don’t love Usopp and approve of everything he does you’re stupid and I don’t want to talk to you,” since we can’t really help what characters we get attached to for personal reasons, and I don’t agree with everything Usopp does myself. But the fundamental parts of who Usopp is are so important in my opinion, and I will say that if someone hates Usopp or thinks he’s a joke I will fight them on it, because to me that’s saying something more than just insulting a character in a manga.

Anyone who thinks Usopp is a joke and doesn’t deserve to be respected is saying that people who aren’t strong, who aren’t good at something, shouldn’t even try—that people aren’t allowed to try to be better and braver than they really are. I am 100% fine with Usopp being afraid to fight, even here and now after the time skip, because there will always be people stronger than you—better than you at whatever it is you’re trying to do—and the future and whether or not we can succeed in what we try to do in life is something that people will always have anxieties about. Whether it’s getting into a school you want, getting a job you’re aiming for, standing up to people who are assholes, defending something you believe in to people who mock you, working to make a relationship work through difficult times, or anything else that we want but feel scared or uncertain about, we all need to do things in life that we don’t always have the confidence to believe we can do. And Usopp’s character and everything about him tells the message, "it’s okay to be weak, it’s okay not to be the best, it’s okay to be afraid, and it’s okay to fail—what matters is that we keep trying. We can always improve ourselves, and we can always prove our own fears wrong and do what we were afraid we couldn’t."

All this is why I think that Usopp is possibly the most well developed and most inspirational character in the entire series. If Usopp doesn’t make someone smile, and if someone doesn’t need the type of inspiration that Usopp can offer and therefore doesn’t think too much of him, I can’t blame them for that. But Usopp means a lot to a lot of people, and in my mind both his fears and his actions come together to make a character that deserves to be respected by everyone.

-end of article-

IF you know where this came from, please tell me so I can give credit for this nicely written piece.
    Last edited by Katzztar; June 26th, 2014 at 09:50 AM.

Of course I would color this panel!

Entry #9 Type of Cover Story

I've ben thinking on cover stories.
    So far, we've seen three main types of them, with a few that doesn't fit in any (that I can think of as of now)

#1- This type has a character that had seemed to have small roles when they first appeared, had their cover story and then had a impact on the story later on with events of the cover story coming into play in the actual storyline.

- Buggy : met Alvida and got arrested in his cover story, which led to him being in ID in main storyline.
    - Ace : chased BB and was captured, which lead to the Marineford War in main storyline.
    - Hatchi: was only Arlong Pirate to escape the ship transporting them. He met Keimi in his cover story. He seemed so silly in AP arc, many never thought he would be a key character in 2 different stories (along with Keimi) =
    1st visit to SA and at Fishman Island.

At first I was going to say that Kuzan/Aokiji was shown to be important due to him being in one main story arc (War)and various 'guest' appearances in several different other arcs. But we knew (or should have) that Buggy would appear more(even if just a quick appearance- which did happen after his cover) due to his connection to Shanks.

So to me, while I agree Aokijji is important, I don't think its an exclusion to a cover story.

[SIZE=4 ] #2- This type seems the characters don't have a major impact but we learn info from them .[/SIZE]

- Coby & Helmeppo: while they haven't done anything note-worthy in main story line except improve themselves, their storyline was important due to it was the cameo of Garp.... though we and Nami learned some info through Coby AFTER his cover story though when he re-appeared in aftermath of EL.

#3 -Its almost as much as those that had their own cover story and are not important (so far)OR have not re-appeared. Please take not of that big fat OR in there, so don't review and complain "So-so is to important!"
    Either way, their cover story hasn't impacted the main story yet.

- Gedastu
    - CP9
    - remaining (named -not the grunts) members of Baroque Works
    - Wapol (for now- unlike others there are clues of his return)

Wapol hasn't re-appeared yet so he seems a shoe-in for #3 but I personally think there are clues that he will appear at the Revivre and if so, then he could be #1 or #3 depending on how its played out. We can't dismiss him as unimportant since Hatchi turned from silly enemy henchman to important support character for two different stories.
    What clues do I think point to Wapol's return?
    -In his cover story, Oda showed Wapol recovering loss of his kingdom and creating a very successful cooperation and getting married.
    -In the 'From the Decks of the World' cover story we see the WG recognizes Wapol by giving him a kingdom the "evil" Black Drum Kingdom. Mind you, this cover story had Alabastra getting ready for the Reverie. so this upcoming Reverie will be first gathering of kingdoms for the Black Drum Kingdom to participate. I don't see Wapol missing it.

One that doesn't fit is Jango. He has re-appeared so doesn't fit #3, he hasn't played an important role (#1) or given any info.
    Last edited by Katzztar; June 26th, 2014 at 10:03 AM.

What I meant with Aokiji being too important is his current connection with Blackbeard pirates. It's not like he can go on adventures or goof off. It's possible he's going to be busy with working along BB. And that seems way too important to be shown in cover stories.

Far from it that I wouldn't want to see Aokiji story, but it somehow doesn't fit for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Razh View Post
    What I meant with Aokiji being too important is his current connection with Blackbeard pirates. It's not like he can go on adventures or goof off. It's possible he's going to be busy with working along BB. And that seems way too important to be shown in cover stories.

Far from it that I wouldn't want to see Aokiji story, but it somehow doesn't fit for me.
    Well when you put it that way, I have to change my mind and agree with you

And now time for something completely different=

I've joked on the dumb predictions thread that Yasopp will be thrilled at Usopp's bounty (it was in 'dumb' predictions due to including a bet with Shanks) but lo and behold I found this amazing fanart at DA by Newcr0w

Hidden:

Regarding Funk Bros and some asking if Abdullah & Jeet are also liars and betrayers, like the Funks.

hmmm I've been saying that I wasn't surprised by Funks tricking Luffy, as I've not seen them in the group with EllabelloII, Harjudin, Cavendish ect..

However I just went and reread 744 and looked again at page where they declared 'God' Usopp. Funks were among the awed, in fact Bobby Kelly was all teary eyed ... I had forgotten that.

Not remembering seeing the Funks with the others -or that scene- I went back to try to find if and when they reappear=

Kelly is seen with Dagama and Abdullah when the Stars bounty were announced in ch. 746 pg.8

In ch.748 we see the ex-toys reach Luffy, many are stating they owe Usopp and will go after Doffy's head.
    Dagama, who had shown interest in the Star bounty now has multiple bumps on his head (from his king) while Elizabello II states they are NOT after the bounties. Same goes for Abdullah & Jeet. But no Funk Bros.

Its also shown many are angered at the other ex-toys who were chasing down the Stars. Abdullah is the one to say "Have they no shame!" on pg. 11 and attacked them along with Ideo, Hadrujin ect. on the next page.
    Hidden:

Through the entire chapter of 749, "onwards, Army of Rogues" we see the ones 'helping' (competing? )Luffy to get Doffy's head .... but no where is the Funks seen.

Interesting to note is the color chapter cover for 750, Abdullah and Jeet are among the ones standing behind the couch with Barto, Ideo, the Bull and Sai. Interesting that there are no Funks there or in the panels behind them. Even the rarely seen Slay-man got a panel.
    Hidden:

then the Funks re-appear out of nowhere to help Luffy in ch. 751. But he/they did look shocked at Abdullah and Jeet getting knocked off here.

Reviewing all this has made me believe that Abdullah and Jeet are being truthful and are on side of the Strawhats against Doffy. In rereading ch. 751 on powermanga with better scans. Its obvious why they fell off the bull. It was not they theory of 'Pica lowered the roof to hit them', nor was it 'they were traitors it jus like the Funks'. Many of the scenes show both of them heads above Luffy when they were on the bull.

It was as simple as they fell off because of they didn't duck.

AS for the Funks, I now think there are some possibilities=

#1 - and Most likely= Even though they showed awe at God Usopp, they also listened to the star bounty and turned to back stabbing to get the bounties.

#2 - less likely but still possible = They didn't mean to trap Luffy. There is a slim chance that they grabbed a Doffy-goon and beat him up to get info with the intent to help Luffy, but was given wrong info.

#3 - Least likely= Their situation is like Squad's. They were lied to and tricked into their actions. Maybe they were confronted by Doffy and told them to save their god Usopp they needed to deliver his captain, Strawhat Luffy. (of course Doffy had no intention of sparing Usopp but he strikes me as the type to lie about it to trick people.)

Frankly while I thought of all three, I am currently choosing #1 as the most likely... though next chapter may change my mind.
    Last edited by Katzztar; June 26th, 2014 at 09:21 AM.

Well, today is 1st of August, and the month is off to a fine start. I posted some today, mainly comments on manglaze and voted for Buggy in the character tournament, then took a nap.

When I came back, I went straight to my messages and first one I read was from Admiral Issho giving some congratulations for reaching that elusive one star status. Needless to say I was surprised, I quite literally had a jaw drop and eyes pop moment ... so glad no one was around to snap a pic... I'd never live it down!

playing a little cardgame Admiral Issho's Avatar

Well, today is 1st of August, and the month is off to a fine start. I posted some today, mainly comments on manglaze and voted for Buggy in the character tournament, then took a nap.

When I came back, I went straight to my messages and first one I read was from Admiral Issho giving some congratulations for reaching that elusive one star status. Needless to say I was surprised, I quite literally had a jaw drop and eyes pop moment ... so glad no one was around to snap a pic... I'd never live it down!
    hmm now I'm nearly sorry that I didn't take a pic
    all credits to benjamminbrown

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Issho View Post
    LOL I'd have to ask Law to steal if you did!

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Issho View Post
    As a blind man you wouldn't have enjoyed it anyways.

As a blind man you wouldn't have enjoyed it anyways.
    well i could have enjoyed the comments from the others when i posted it here

H may be blind but I suspect he would likely use that pic as blackmail ... a means to embarrass me in front of pirates!

and I'm so confident in my plan that I will even tell you now what my plan really is

in truth i will blackmail all the seniormembers to campaign and vote for my favorites in the ap tournament so that i can manipulate the whole tournament for your information two seniors are already in my hand

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information