Closed Thread
Page 539 of 542 FirstFirst ... 39 439 489 529 537 538 539 540 541 ... LastLast
Results 10,761 to 10,780 of 10838

Thread: Post how your day was...

  1. #10761
    The Nice Guy Outerspec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Home away from home.

    Default Re: Post how your day was...

    Quote Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
    I am still pretty convinced that in a huge part of all cases where veils are worn is not totally 100 % mandatory and as long as that is the case, I'm not interested in looking at silverlinings.
    Did you mean to say, "I am still pretty convinced that in a huge part of cases where veils are worn it's totally 100% mandatory and as long as that is the case, I'm not interested in looking at silver linings."

    I'm curious as to why are you completely focused on the negative and refusing to look at the whole picture? It's definitely ok and sensible to recognize the fact that veils aren't always worn by choice but they're not always forced on women either. No one here is denying that or ignoring it. No one here is looking at the good and ignoring the bad but you, and you alone, are offering a limited perspective by consistently pointing out how veils are being misused with religious law and...well, that's it. You're not "interested" in anything positive someone might add to the discussion. In fact, the whole discussion was positive at first and no one was saying, 'Thank goodness for veils, they're the ultimate symbol of freedom~' so it's not like we were trying to limit the discussion on the topic matter.

    The veils aren't even the real problem here. It's the extremists and idiots who make the laws. I'm sure you would agree.
    Everything's Eventual...


  2. #10762

    Default Re: Post how your day was...

    Quote Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
    In other words: I am still completely right and always was.
    lol what are you, five years old? And I damn well no it's not critical thinking or logic you teach because boy you are having a very awful time trying to keep up with this discussion.
    But seriously this is a five year old's response. I NO CARE DETAILS, I RIGHT AND ALWAYS WAS!! Come on, that's not going to get you anywhere lol.
    Less religious influence and less threats of violence = less veils.
    That's funny, I don't recall agreeing to this package deal fallacy. You've been trying to pull a lot of those btw. I understand this is because you don't have any idea what they are, and have no idea that you're making them. But that just kind of illustrates how you're in over your head.

    More religious influence and more violence = more veils. Thus, many women don't want to wear veils if given a choice.
    Turkey has 50/50 or so. The law actually leans toward secular. How do you explain that?
    What I spoke about more specifically were countries where we see more or less all women wear veils ( Pakistan, Egypt, Morocco, citing a few examples ). In these countries women are expelled from their communities if they don't conform to their dresscodes.
    Yeah I haven't forgotten that at every turn of the discussion you want to define the topic around countries where choice doesn't really exist rather than the ones where it does. And that for a dumb reason it makes you mad that we would be discussing life outside those places.
    While some more conservative communities may have these roles for women in Kosovo, not all of it does. But it is truly the case in many communities where veils are commonly worn, that women will suffer intense discrimination if they break taboos.
    Yeah I don't accept that conclusion at all. One literally cannot discuss issues like this in a general sense. Sorry if that hurts your brain.
    I know, and that is precisely the point: the reason I'm not talking about sikhs and their turbans is because that is something that truly is just of a different cultural origin. Veils serves a completely different purpose.
    So what the hell relevance does it have to the discussion lol.
    You can accuse me of anything. I am still pretty convinced that in a huge part of all cases where veils are worn is not totally 100 % mandatory and as long as that is the case, I'm not interested in looking at silverlinings.
    You really don't know anything about the topic hotshot. And that's your problem. For no readily apparent reason you want to consider yourself an expert on the subject, and don't want to move an inch. But you really don't have a friggin' clue. What the fuck do "silverlinings" have to do with anything. No one's trying to be optimistic when they tell you free and freer places and minorities in non-Muslim countries exist, they're telling you that they friggin' exist.
    You're calling facts silverlinings, what the heck is the matter with you.
    Maybe this is just ''mediaatheistpropaganda'' I don't know. Maybe you don't like the pope, maybe you are one of those moderates or you just like having crackers and wine every Sunday.
    Kid I was born irreligious, raised the same, and I still am. My extended family is Catholic and I live in state that is overwhelmingly Catholic, and has had gay marriage before any part of Scandinavia.
    Your first problem I'm seeing here which extends to Islam btw, if your inability to separate script from it's most literal and extreme followers.
    Which can only be described as ridiculous given how evolutionary every religion has been since day one.
    Fundamentalism is a false concept. You won't understand anything if you accept Fundamentalism.

  3. #10763
    Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer
    Join Date
    May 2014

    Default Re: Post how your day was...

    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    lol what are you, five years old? And I damn well no it's not critical thinking or logic you teach because boy you are having a very awful time trying to keep up with this discussion.
    But seriously this is a five year old's response. I NO CARE DETAILS, I RIGHT AND ALWAYS WAS!! Come on, that's not going to get you anywhere lol.
    Well, the problem is that your comment is not a contradiction to what I've said. You've only split some hairs and told me why people may or may not wear veils in countries where veiling is less common. That's fine and all, but it's not like it's relevant.

    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    That's funny, I don't recall agreeing to this package deal fallacy. You've been trying to pull a lot of those btw. I understand this is because you don't have any idea what they are, and have no idea that you're making them. But that just kind of illustrates how you're in over your head.
    No, you never said ''I agree with this'' but by responding to my first comment by speaking of countries where veils are uncommon, you indirectly did.


    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    Turkey has 50/50 or so. The law actually leans toward secular. How do you explain that?
    Rather religious families on the countryside who are not as affected by the blows of secularism that people in Istanbul and Ankara are, and a sort of backfire from the politics of Turkey.

    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    Yeah I haven't forgotten that at every turn of the discussion you want to define the topic around countries where choice doesn't really exist rather than the ones where it does. And that for a dumb reason it makes you mad that we would be discussing life outside those places.
    I was never mad to begin with. I pointed out that there is little choice to talk about and that was apparently to court controversy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    Yeah I don't accept that conclusion at all. One literally cannot discuss issues like this in a general sense. Sorry if that hurts your brain.
    Except that we so obviously can do that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    So what the hell relevance does it have to the discussion lol.
    I pointed out that turbans are more or less something that carry no discussion at all in the west. But veils do. A turban is more or less like wearing a hat with your favorite team's logo on it. A veil is not.


    Yeah, let's leave it at this: my stupid atheist brain doesn't possess the moral character to realise that religion actually is not best represented by it's doctrines, and by this stretch, best represented by the people who follow the doctrine most strictly. I have actually just misreprestented what religion is. The truth is that god's deepest desire is that we become moderates, who actually don't really believe everything that

    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    You really don't know anything about the topic hotshot. And that's your problem. For no readily apparent reason you want to consider yourself an expert on the subject, and don't want to move an inch. But you really don't have a friggin' clue. What the fuck do "silverlinings" have to do with anything. No one's trying to be optimistic when they tell you free and freer places and minorities in non-Muslim countries exist, they're telling you that they friggin' exist.
    You're calling facts silverlinings, what the heck is the matter with you.
    I can't help it. I have a deep desire in my heart to throw religious people into a massive pit off fire where they will burn forever.

    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    Kid I was born irreligious, raised the same, and I still am. My extended family is Catholic and I live in state that is overwhelmingly Catholic, and has had gay marriage before any part of Scandinavia.
    Your first problem I'm seeing here which extends to Islam btw, if your inability to separate script from it's most literal and extreme followers.
    Which can only be described as ridiculous given how evolutionary every religion has been since day one.
    Fundamentalism is a false concept. You won't understand anything if you accept Fundamentalism.
    Okay, so you are irreligious? Then why did you claim catholics were ''your tribe''?

    Let me just point out that gay marriage in connecticut has nothing to do with the principles of christianity being completely alligned with gay marriage. You can thank secular principles for having gay marriage in your state, and you should also be aware that millions of people in your country ( and the world ) believes homosexuality is a sin, destined to be punished by a wrathful god. Is this extreme? Yes, it is extremely silly but it is not extreme in the sense of being rare and absolutely not extreme if you really do follow this religion. I'm not worried about religious moderates, but religious moderates are so theologically bankrupt they more or less don't believe anything that their own religion requires. It's not at all extreme to be a fundamentalist, it's completely reasonable to be one.

  4. #10764

    Default Re: Post how your day was...

    I'm so going to stay an atheist. Still, christmas is awesome!

  5. #10765

    Default Re: Post how your day was...

    Did a bonehead move yesterday. I picked up my brother's check for him and I ended up losing it. Yes, really. I panicked but quickly called to let work know so they could put a stop on it. Thankfully he can get a new one on Monday, but I still feel like a jackass. Damn it, damn it. >_<

  6. #10766
    I Like Video Game Music hosemisnuba's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    United States

    Default Re: Post how your day was...

    Just got kicked out of my private high school at the end of the school year. According to the administration, they didn't have the resources to care for someone with my disabilities. Is it right to kick someone out of fucking school before his senior year because he is depressed? I don't think so. I wasn't being contumacious, like I had in my previous year of school but those fucks still kicked me out. I'm really going to miss out on what could've been a great senior year of high school. They'll get what's coming for them; what goes around comes around after all.

  7. #10767
    The Nice Guy Outerspec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Home away from home.

    Default Re: Post how your day was...

    Quote Originally Posted by hosemisnuba View Post
    Just got kicked out of my private high school at the end of the school year. According to the administration, they didn't have the resources to care for someone with my disabilities. Is it right to kick someone out of fucking school before his senior year because he is depressed? I don't think so. I wasn't being contumacious, like I had in my previous year of school but those fucks still kicked me out. I'm really going to miss out on what could've been a great senior year of high school. They'll get what's coming for them; what goes around comes around after all.
    I'm sorry to hear that and it does seem unfair but maybe they have some reason they're not fully telling you. What I would recommend is you talk to them and make an appeal. Go there with your parents and setup a meeting beforehand with the principal or anyone of more authority than him/her. Discuss with them and ask for exactly what reason they kicked you out of school if you weren't exhibiting any behavior worse than previous years where you were allowed to stay in school. Tell them how much it would mean for you to graduate and ask them what you could do to get back and stay in school. Work with them and I know this requires for them to work with you too but maybe something could be worked out. If not, going to a different school to finish up your senior year is also a possibility, right? Though your friends are all over at your previous school and it'll feel a little new what really matters is that you graduate.

    Don't just get kicked out of school and wish bad thoughts though, man. You're not going to help yourself any.
    Everything's Eventual...


  8. #10768

    Default Re: Post how your day was...

    Quote Originally Posted by Prismeru View Post
    Did you go to check yourself with the doctor? :S You should go.
    No but I'm fine, the worst part of it was that I was wearing a suit and the pants got a little dirty.
    I was in literally no pain for the entire thing, just stuck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norisuke Higashikata IV
    "Your stand is like your asshole. You can't go around showing it off to other people."

  9. #10769

    Default Re: Post how your day was...

    Quote Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
    I can't help it. I have a deep desire in my heart to throw religious people into a massive pit off fire where they will burn forever.
    Wow. I mean you were stepping over all kinds of lines and being closed-minded before but now you just put a big tag on yourself saying "Hi, I'm an undisputed idiot." How do you expect to have an intelligent discussion if this is your mindset? Please drop the subject before you get yourself banned.

  10. #10770

    Default Re: Post how your day was...

    Oh goodie i see this thread has officially turned into Sweden.

    In other news i'm making midnight ragu and plan to test my food processor out in making the sofritto. But i've heard that putting onions in a food processor affects their taste, so let's hope that it doesn't turn it all into shit. Other than that i've got all that's needed to make magic.

    Operation "entirely un-authentic ragu, so chillax allright Italians" is a go

  11. #10771

    Default Re: Post how your day was...

    I would think "religiously moderate" people are on the middle ground, much like moderates in politics. I have a lot of faith in God but I don't really have a lot of faith in most people. I still think the most important thing Christ teaches is love and tolerance to all, especially those who don't believe and are most unlike yourself. That should override being a fucking douchenozzle to other people who don't share your same beliefs. That doesn't seem like it should be that hard of a concept to understand and embrace, in my opinion. Also specifically not to go out of your way to offend people and instead, always be aware of yourself so that you don't *accidentally* offend people. Not that you can avoid offending all people, but hey, doesn't hurt to *try* XD

    Though last night at work a co-worker brought up that a classmate of his had brought in Bible which had belonged to her grandmother that was from the confederate days. It was nothing like the bible most are familiar with, they basically chopped out what they didn't think fit their raging racist ideologies and added in a bunch of their own self-righteous bullshit. Lots of anti-POC stuff that was definitely NOT in the actual Bible. That is absolutely no different than what the outrageous, uber-conservative "Christians" that are trying to push their hateful and bigoted views and ideas onto society as a whole.

    Even if a lot of people aren't deliberately changing what the Bible says (but this still happens), they choose to emphasize certain points that fit their personal ideas and ignore anything that would contradict that. There's a lot of shit that people say "WELL THE BIBLE SAYS THAT."... when there's another verse or chapter elsewhere that brings more clarity and explanation to the original statement. The Bible is a package deal, you have to read it all and the message is pretty clear. I don't need a survey to know the overwhelming majority of people who attend church services only listen to the preacher or teacher and their spin on it and never really read the thing for themselves. Most people have not read the entire bible, and another sadly large percentage HAVE read the bible... but are still going to do whatever they want to do.

    TL;DR: Extremists in all faiths and religions are harmful and are not an accurate representation of the original teachings. The bible says stuff like sexual immorality and homosexuality are sins but it ALSO says you love and respect people of all walks of life as you would people of your own faith. Also says that a sin is a sin, we're all sinners, and no human being is more righteous than the other enough to be able to judge them or reign superiority over them/oppress them. Any dolt that went to bible school as a child heard enough stories where one of the central themes that being a douchebag to others and oppressing their rights to live was a bad thing. Everyone is given a choice to live their life how they see fit and the only soul you need to worry about is your own, because that's all you're accountable for.

    Which I know is a contradicting statement with the fact that "Jesus taught love and forgiveness" but a huge chunk of the bible talks about sin and punishment, but I can't recall seeing anything other but all that you do to others should be out of love. No where does it say that telling everyone they're gonna go to hell is perfectly acceptable. I really don't know what God thinks or how he really will judge because a lot of the perceptions have been twisted by man over time, I just know it's not my place to treat someone like shit because they are different or may not be "What the bible says they should be." I think the part about being in charge of your own soul is perfectly clear. I don't think you should worry past that, because people start getting into shit like "WELL WHAT IF POOR AFRICAN KIDS NEVER HEAR ABOUT JESUS ARE THEY GOING TO HELL?" and are people with mental disabilities that cannot comprehend going to hell and I want to scream. I will literally scream if I hear that shit come out of someone's mouth in my presence ever again. If that's not proof that people twist shit to fit their own belief, then I don't know what is.

    Also at the very end of Revelations:
    18 I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this scroll: If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to that person the plagues described in this scroll.19 And if anyone takes words away from this scroll of prophecy, God will take away from that person any share in the tree of life and in the Holy City, which are described in this scroll.

    I don't think it gets anymore clearer that altering the Bible to suit your own needs and bigoted agenda is a no-no.

    Can we all just agree that extremists on the pro-religion and anti-religion front are both equally batshit insane and throw them in the WBC compound so it can get fire-bombed? Can we?

    Though seriously, hatred in the name of anything is a load of shit. Hatred and forced ignorance are the biggest evils in the entire world. No matter what you do or don't believe in, I think most human beings can agree its much better to just treat other human beings with the respect and kindness you would like to be treated with. Whatever happens or doesn't happen at the end of humanity's time is something we have absolutely no control over and squabbling over it instead of spending our short times on this Earth enriching each other's lives is absolutely positively stupid.

    Let's focus on the shit we have a chance at changing, like global warming, social inequalities, basic rights for all, healthcare. That kind of stuff.

    I'm no "model Christian" but I don't want to be anything like what society thinks one of those should be like. I definitely fall short, a lot, but I know I'm always taking small steps forward and at the end of the road I hope I came enough forward as a human being.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Quote Originally Posted by taboo View Post
    I think I might have jacked up my stomach lining or my kidneys from taking allergy pills

    Eating kinda hurts and I generally feel really uncomfortable in the kidney zone
    Are you taking steroids? Because steroids can cause reflux and is terrible on the kidneys, moresoe than stuff like antihistamines and decongestants. Though if you're not taking a steroid and feel worse you probably should go see your doctor, because kidney problems cause by meds can and will get worse, sometimes your body just cannot tolerate a certain something.

    Quote Originally Posted by AlucarDraculA View Post
    I got hit by a car today.
    It was a low speed colision but I was stuck between the car and mine for a little while.
    It went down as follows:
    We were parked next to eachother, and I said hi to the other driver while swiching the towel on my seat (I drive a doorless, roofless jeep and it rained). I saw my other friend react before it happened because I was turned away but in a split second I was logded between the two cars. What happened was that as he backed out instead of backing out straight he moved the wheel prematurely and the side of the nose of his car collided with me pinning me by the side and leg onto my car.
    I tried to get my self unstuck, got most of my leg free but my ankle couldn't be removed and I was in no possition leverage wise to push my car away. I ended up talking him through backing out in a way that did not lose me a leg.

    I am fine, no injuries, I just think it was kind of funny and may be a good story to tell down the road.
    I'm glad to hear that you didn't really get hurt, but did you get the driver's info? At least the license plate?

    If you start feeling any pain, get checked out because his insurance would have to pay. Though it sounds like it wasn't anything especially bad. If I see someone trying to back out or they're going to get out I wait before I get into/out of my car. I've had some people barely miss grazing my car and standing there would not be good.

    . tumblr
    . mfc .
    . ask for FB or AIM/Skype .
    . psn & nintendo id squeesax . 3DS FC: 3797-6626-6957 .

  12. #10772

    Default Re: Post how your day was...

    Quote Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
    Well, the problem is that your comment is not a contradiction to what I've said. You've only split some hairs and told me why people may or may not wear veils in countries where veiling is less common. That's fine and all, but it's not like it's relevant.
    Ah I see, in your universe we have many strange phenomena that doesn't exist for the rest of us.
    Facts are silverlinings.
    Moderate countries are distractions.
    And the details and complexities of discussing many incarnations across time and space of social customs are "splitting hairs".

    Also somehow anything but the Taliban is irrelevant to the discussion of veils.

    No, you never said ''I agree with this'' but by responding to my first comment by speaking of countries where veils are uncommon, you indirectly did.
    Do you have any idea what a package deal fallacy is?
    Rather religious families on the countryside who are not as affected by the blows of secularism that people in Istanbul and Ankara are, and a sort of backfire from the politics of Turkey.
    There are religious people everywhere in Turkey. It has high religiosity. Secular btw is not a belief stance in regards to religion. It indicates a society more acknowledging on the individual's freedom in regards to religion or lack thereof, rather than a crazy group think.
    Also associating progressivism with low religiosity is fallacious as fuck. Finland, the Baltics and the Czech Republic are infamously irreligious. How then is that they are lagging on the gay marriage issue? Hell the Baltics are downright homophobic. Even Russia apparently has low religiosity, do I need to describe to you their problems?
    And East Asia, oh East Asia, so free from western ideas of religion, graced instead by random scraps of Buddhist ritual mixed with philosophy. Surely those countries are free of sexism and homophobia. Truly.

    I was never mad to begin with. I pointed out that there is little choice to talk about and that was apparently to court controversy.
    Little choice to talk about what?
    You very clearly were at odds that people were talking about hijabs in healthy environments, rather than the non-discussion of the unhealthy ones where everyone in this forum would have agreed on the topic.
    Instead the discussion became one where a bunch of (mostly!) non Muslim westerners from Europe and N America alike sort of explored some of our preconceptions and prejudices a bit. As is relevant in our own countries since we don't live in Afghanistan or Iran. We live in places like Sweden, Finland, the USA, Canada. So yeah actually unlike Iran, where we have zero effect on their gender and government issues no matter how much we complain online...this discussion actually does produce good things in our own countries.

    Except that we so obviously can do that.
    What you're saying here is "Yes I CAN fix my car with a rubber chicken!!!".
    I pointed out that turbans are more or less something that carry no discussion at all in the west. But veils do. A turban is more or less like wearing a hat with your favorite team's logo on it. A veil is not.
    Do you even know what a hijab is, or is this entire discussion based around the idea that every veil type thing is a burqa.
    Yeah, let's leave it at this: my stupid atheist brain doesn't
    Sorry but that atheist victimhood thing doesn't really work when it's me you're arguing with lol.
    possess the moral character to realise that religion actually is not best represented by it's doctrines,
    Oh morals has nothing to do with that. Naivete and being very sheltered in a homogenous uber secular northern European cradle probably plays more of a role.
    and by this stretch, best represented by the people who follow the doctrine most strictly.
    I thought you were being sarcastic? Because this is something you actually believe. And among the dumbest too.

    The truth is that god's deepest desire is that we become moderates, who actually don't really believe everything that
    I seriously get the feeling that you really did grow up surrounded by nothing but irreligious Swedes, and then SUDDENLY MOOSELIMBS ARRIVE IN THE CITY FROM BUMFUCK PAKISTAN. No wonder you're so skewed on this. It's all you've ever known and interacted with.
    You need to do more interactions with a wider spectrum of people from all sorts of shit.

    I can't help it. I have a deep desire in my heart to throw religious people into a massive pit off fire where they will burn forever.
    lol what the fuck is wrong with you

    Okay, so you are irreligious? Then why did you claim catholics were ''your tribe''?
    Because my extended family on my dad's side, (far outnumbering my mom's side) are Catholic. My more visible and tangible ethnic affiliations are also culturally Catholic.
    And my entire region of country is largely Catholic as well. I may have zero interest in the religion personally, but we're talking kin and countrymen here. Yes, I am sensitive to people being dumb about them. Somehow this confuses you?

    Let me just point out that gay marriage in connecticut has nothing to do with the principles of christianity being completely alligned with gay marriage.
    It has everything to do with a large amount of Christians of a variety of sects having long ago reconciled that they simply don't believe that homosexuality is a problem. Mostly because it being a problem does not make sense.
    We may be among the less religious parts of the US, but again our religiosity is not low.
    I chalk it up to us being hetero(heh)genous religiously for a long time up here.
    Personal rather than social relations to religion developed (as opposed to the extremely social attitude toward religion in the South), people become more open to thinking on religion, evolving on religion. And if you think Catholics sit around waiting to hear what the Pope thinks before they come to their own conclusion, than well it wouldn't be the first time you knew nothing about a religion in this thread.
    But of course maybe that was in our natural culture up here, after all religion can't really evolve over time! We must have always been flexible personal minded religious people up here.
    Actually wait a minute, how the fuck do you even rationalize the existence of Protestants with your view on religion being a slider from extreme to athiest. With the extreme defined by sticking to doctrine.
    You can thank secular principles for having gay marriage in your state,
    About that word? Secular?

    and you should also be aware that millions of people in your country ( and the world ) believes homosexuality is a sin,
    And then there's lots of people who aren't very religious if at all, but their nevertheless highly patriarchal societies either attack or hush hush up the gays.

    Funny thing about the religion in the US actually.
    Here's church attendance by state.
    Connecticut is actually pretty high for the Northeast! Meanwhile Montana and especially Nevada are really low! And though gray there I can assure you Alaska is much like Montana. And yet those three states are either dragging their feet (Nevada) or acting rather like China does on the issue (Montana, Alaska).
    It's almost like how religious people are isn't the factor here. But like..both other social issues...plus HOW people are religious.
    Is this extreme? Yes, it is extremely silly but it is not extreme in the sense of being rare and absolutely not extreme if you really do follow this religion. I'm not worried about religious moderates, but religious moderates are so theologically bankrupt they more or less don't believe anything that their own religion requires.
    Really do, really do.
    What the fuck does that mean. Really do.
    For someone who was namedropping mad books in the bible, you sure seem amazingly clueless about the history of the church.
    Gnostic, Arian, Catholic, Orthodox, hundreds among hundreds of Protestant sects. Man the Mormons alone would make you go haywire like a robot who can't process shit.

    It's not at all extreme to be a fundamentalist, it's completely reasonable to be one.
    Ah, what's that old adage about how the farthest people on extremes kind of go so far they pop out the other end? Or start to resemble one another?

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    Oh goodie i see this thread has officially turned into Sweden.
    This is the most unattractive you've ever made your country sound lol.
    Sweden is looking less like a progressive utopia than it does one of those really sheltered rich towns to the near immediate west of me that votes heavily democrat but still jumps a bit when a black person walks by and learns all their social issues from tumblr rather than irl.

  13. #10773

    Default Re: Post how your day was...

    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    This is the most unattractive you've ever made your country sound lol.
    Sweden is looking less like a progressive utopia than it does one of those really sheltered rich towns to the near immediate west of me that votes heavily democrat but still jumps a bit when a black person walks by and learns all their social issues from tumblr rather than irl.
    Why do you think I want to move to the States and not to Sweden even though I speak both languages? :P
    In Loving Memory of Toraish, Rex Avium: http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t=40786 | 3DS Friend Code: 3196-4274-7836

  14. #10774

    Default Re: Post how your day was...

    Quote Originally Posted by Dryish View Post
    Why do you think I want to move to the States and not to Sweden even though I speak both languages? :P
    I mean I make fun of you guys a bit, but there's definite jealousy sometimes too on some issues. But if this indeed the force BEHIND your progressivism....ewwww 0_o
    Man slower pace going on here I guess, but more rewarding...more rewarding...
    And hell if Timbo is common over there, forget even progressivism.

  15. #10775

    Default Re: Post how your day was...

    It's not the force behind the progressivism by any means, the original progressivism that started in the fifties in Sweden and spread over the gulf to us in the sixties was really meant to be about making both countries livable and as fair as possible for everyone living over here.

    What just happened is that both countries graduated from the small countries who only send people out and never take anyone in club and suddenly started facing immigration from countries with completely different cultures and religions for the first time ever (barring the Roma, some of whom have lived in both countries for hundreds of years) since the creation of the national states, and people here are still adjusting to it and having very, very similar mindsets about it than people in the States did in early 1800s. It's getting better all the time, and as new generations of people with immigrant backgrounds are born and grow up the problem will sort itself, but we're still in the middle of getting there.

    It's just that Europe is kind of collapsing around us so I don't know how long it'll take for things to actually get much better. Or how many violent waves of far right nationalism we have to suffer before we're finally ready to accept that we, too, are very global.
    In Loving Memory of Toraish, Rex Avium: http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t=40786 | 3DS Friend Code: 3196-4274-7836

  16. #10776

    Default Re: Post how your day was...

    Quote Originally Posted by Dryish View Post
    did in early 1800s.
    1900's lol. The US in the early 1800's only had one exotic non-english speaking immigrant group it was concerned about taking over things and speaking their disgusting mud language.
    GERMANS.

    lol actually this does sound a lot like modern Europe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Franklin
    "Those who come hither are generally of the most ignorant Stupid Sort of their own Nation…and as few of the English understand the German Language, and so cannot address them either from the Press or Pulpit, ’tis almost impossible to remove any prejudices they once entertain…Not being used to Liberty, they know not how to make a modest use of it…I remember when they modestly declined intermeddling in our Elections, but now they come in droves, and carry all before them, except in one or two Counties...In short unless the stream of their importation could be turned from this to other colonies, as you very judiciously propose, they will soon so out number us, that all the advantages we have will not in My Opinion be able to preserve our language, and even our Government will become precarious."

    Why should Pennsylvania, founded by the English, become a Colony of Aliens, who will shortly be so numerous as to Germanize us instead of our Anglifying them, and will never adopt our Language or Customs, any more than they can acquire our Complexion.

  17. #10777

    Default Re: Post how your day was...

    That's basically as far back as I was thinking, actually. It started out as innocent as that and then became very similar to how you guys later treated the Italian and Irish immigrants real quick when people woke up to the reality that, gasp, immigration DIDN'T END!?

    It's silly, but it's making this part of the world somewhat sad to live in at times.
    In Loving Memory of Toraish, Rex Avium: http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t=40786 | 3DS Friend Code: 3196-4274-7836

  18. #10778

    Default Re: Post how your day was...

    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    Ah, what's that old adage about how the farthest people on extremes kind of go so far they pop out the other end? Or start to resemble one another?
    And you have pretty much succinctly summarized the plight of my people.

    As much as a problem ( and they truly are) die hard conservatives and racists are, atleast those problems are adressed again and again out in the open, but the progressives, who from time to time look just like color swapped versions of the forces they fight aren't ever reflected upon.

    Case in point being the anti-fascism groups who believe a good and valid form off opposing facism is to terrorize and beat their political opponents.

    This is the most unattractive you've ever made your country sound lol.
    Sweden is looking less like a progressive utopia than it does one of those really sheltered rich towns to the near immediate west of me that votes heavily democrat but still jumps a bit when a black person walks by and learns all their social issues from tumblr rather than irl.
    That is also quite descriptive.

  19. #10779

    Default Re: Post how your day was...

    Goddamn fucking krauts stealing our jobs.
    Those pretzel eaters can cut your lawns good, but then they take their stupid suspenders wearing selves back to their little farmsteads and drink drink drink.
    Filthy worthless alcoholics. GO BACK TO THE RHINELAND.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Oh I haven't posted the funniest thing Benjamin Franklin said btw.

    Which leads me to add one Remark: That the Number of purely white People in the World is proportionably very small. All Africa is black or tawny. Asia chiefly tawny. America (exclusive of the new Comers) wholly so. And in Europe, the Spaniards, Italians, French, Russians and Swedes, are generally of what we call a swarthy Complexion; as are the Germans also, the Saxons only excepted, who with the English, make the principal Body of White People on the Face of the Earth. I could wish their Numbers were increased. And while we are, as I may call it, Scouring our Planet, by clearing America of Woods, and so making this Side of our Globe reflect a brighter Light to the Eyes of Inhabitants in Mars or Venus, why should we in the Sight of Superior Beings, darken its People? why increase the Sons of Africa, by Planting them in America, where we have so fair an Opportunity, by excluding all Blacks and Tawneys, of increasing the lovely White and Red? But perhaps I am partial to the Complexion of my Country, for such Kind of Partiality is natural to Mankind.
    You know "white" in the US has always just been code for "socially acceptable" when once upon a time Swedish and German people were "swarthy".

  20. #10780
    Sweet Home Chicago Cyan D. Funk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Huxley U.

    Default Re: Post how your day was...

    Remember when Irish weren't counted as white people? Good times.

Closed Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts