+ Reply to Thread
Page 249 of 501 FirstFirst ... 149 199 239 247 248 249 250 251 259 299 349 ... LastLast
Results 4,961 to 4,980 of 10003

Thread: Funimation DVD Discussion III (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

  1. #4961

    Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion III (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

    Quote Originally Posted by firecrouch View Post
    Have you ever thought that maybe people that just like to watch the stream or buy DVDs later on might find your strategy "inconvienent" as well?

    Look, people that buy the DVDs aren't any more important than people that don't buy them right on release. We're all fans, and it's great that FUNimation is giving us many options to watch "One Piece". We're all still supporting the show, and there's enough fans buying the DVDs that a simple "delay" isn't going to hurt their business.

    FUNimation has a valid reason if they're just trying to get all the rights at once. I hate to say it, but you just sound like you're coming from a place of impatience.
    If they are waiting for the releases to come out, then they should have no problem with them coming out more quickly. My point here is that putting the releases out quickly appeases both groups; those who buy the DVDs get them nice and quick, and those who want to wait can wait all the time they want. No sense in making the paying DVD customers wait as well.


    Quote Originally Posted by Maron View Post
    So you'd be okay with them delaying it to work on something like special features on a set, but you're not okay with them (possibly) delaying it to ensure more people can easily purchase and access the episodes through more media? How is that reason any less valid? In the end the whole thing is about exposure to as many as possible.
    A delay for special features would take a week or two at most. It wouldn't delay the release for months upon months like this licensing thing would do.

  2. #4962

    Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion III (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

    Wait this is confusing. Who was on which side again?

  3. #4963
    I invented sitting firecrouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    San Francisco, CA

    Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion III (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

    Quote Originally Posted by gyarados View Post
    If they are waiting for the releases to come out, then they should have no problem with them coming out more quickly. My point here is that putting the releases out quickly appeases both groups; those who buy the DVDs get them nice and quick, and those who want to wait can wait all the time they want. No sense in making the paying DVD customers wait as well.
    But nobody actually wants to wait, why would anyone want to wait for something they want? Waiting is just something that we all have to do deal with, and those that are patient get rewarded.

    I don't understand how you can say putting out DVDs more quickly and releasing them elsewhere (like streaming/download purchases, television) later for other fans appeases both groups. Sounds like the opposite actually.

  4. #4964

    Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion III (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

    What gyarados is getting at is if Funimation could get the DVD rights to Season 6 w/ absolutely no problems, they could release them at the usual pace w/o there being a delay, and while the DVD rights are settled, Funi could focus on the digital rights (since those are the variable). In essence, he doesn't like that the DVD buyers have to wait for the digital when the DVDs could be settled quicker. Holding onto the DVD rights just to confirm digital rights ain't gonna make either come quicker...but if the DVDs were taken care of alone, then at least THOSE could see release...and the digital version would get taken care of when they get taken care of. At least, that's how I interpret it. I think I summed it up as best as I could. ^^
    Youtube Channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/devilkicksanji2

    Creator of: Green Green Abridged and DearS Abridged
    Writer and Co-Creator of: Angel Beats! Insanity

  5. #4965

    Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion III (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

    Quote Originally Posted by firecrouch View Post
    But nobody actually wants to wait, why would anyone want to wait for something they want? Waiting is just something that we all have to do deal with, and those that are patient get rewarded.

    I don't understand how you can say putting out DVDs more quickly and releasing them elsewhere (like streaming/download purchases, television) later for other fans appeases both groups. Sounds like the opposite actually.
    You literally said "Have you ever thought that maybe people that just like to watch the stream or buy DVDs later on might" so I was referring to that group.

    As for appeasing streamers/potential download purchasers, tell me this: Why should Funimation not seek to please people who directly and financially support the show (DVD buyers) and rather try to please (1) streamers, whose financial contributions pale in comparison to the DVD purchasers, (2) illegal downloaders, who don't give Funimation any money, or (3) people who say they will buy the show if it is available for digital downloads but not on disc (who says they will even buy the show? again, they aren't bringing in any money yet if they aren't currently supporting the DVD releases)

    Point is, Funimation is a business. They ABSOLUTELY should be aiming to please the fans who, at the end of the day, give their money to support the DVD releases. They shouldn't make them wait over something that is no benefit to them, but rather tries to please the other fans who haven't shown the financial commitment to bring money in for a BUSINESS.


    And yes, demonkicksanji you nailed it!

  6. #4966

    Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion III (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

    Quote Originally Posted by AegisVolt View Post
    And this Gyarados or whatever isnt critical of Funimation? YOU(Zephray) arent critical when you say Funi isnt putting their A Game into One Piece?
    Being critical with a company or a show is different from being critical about a person's forum post.
    Has your country trapped you in a literal birdcage? Go back in time with the ikot-ikot fruit and vote Birdie Sanders for President today!



  7. #4967

    Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion III (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

    Quote Originally Posted by gyarados View Post
    A delay for special features would take a week or two at most. It wouldn't delay the release for months upon months like this licensing thing would do.
    That barely qualifies as a delay, certainly not something that affects the release schedule.

  8. #4968

    Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion III (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

    Quote Originally Posted by Maron View Post
    That barely qualifies as a delay, certainly not something that affects the release schedule.
    In the interview they mentioned that they had less special features due to the ongoing releases, so that is where I got that from. What I was going for is that minor delays that have good reason and provide something worthwhile are tolerable.

  9. #4969

    Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion III (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

    Quote Originally Posted by gyarados View Post
    You literally said "Have you ever thought that maybe people that just like to watch the stream or buy DVDs later on might" so I was referring to that group.

    As for appeasing streamers/potential download purchasers, tell me this: Why should Funimation not seek to please people who directly and financially support the show (DVD buyers) and rather try to please (1) streamers, whose financial contributions pale in comparison to the DVD purchasers, (2) illegal downloaders, who don't give Funimation any money, or (3) people who say they will buy the show if it is available for digital downloads but not on disc (who says they will even buy the show? again, they aren't bringing in any money yet if they aren't currently supporting the DVD releases)

    Point is, Funimation is a business. They ABSOLUTELY should be aiming to please the fans who, at the end of the day, give their money to support the DVD releases. They shouldn't make them wait over something that is no benefit to them, but rather tries to please the other fans who haven't shown the financial commitment to bring money in for a BUSINESS.


    And yes, demonkicksanji you nailed it!
    but if voyage 6 is coming out in march and they just wait and release season 6 in July or august like they did for the previous two seasons it shouldn't be a big deal. Its not as if this delay will be a year or longer just a few months really

  10. #4970

    Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion III (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

    Got so busy reading this silly argument that I missed the post that said its RESERVED FOR MY ORDER. Means it'll be here on Thursday! Awesome! Time to finish Enies Lobby!

    Anyways, I think the idea is that Funimation (being a company that SELLS things) should value the fans that pay money for the show a bit more than fans who don't. Surely, that's a difficult thing to disagree with. I understand the idea that one who is anxiously awaiting to pay for new episodes would be mad at getting blocked by one that isn't paying for episodes.

    Regardless, the deal was for the payment of episodes, so this is a pretty moot (or at least, unrelated) point. What we can all probably agree on is that it would be more beneficial to all the fans for these to be separate deals. That way, the release schedule wouldn't be slowed down by this other (slightly repetitive) deal.

    Does anyone know if it's possible that Toei let them begin dubbing before the contract was finalized? We have quite a bit of half-proofs that they've begun.
    Has your country trapped you in a literal birdcage? Go back in time with the ikot-ikot fruit and vote Birdie Sanders for President today!



  11. #4971

    Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion III (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

    Quote Originally Posted by Zephray View Post
    Does anyone know if it's possible that Toei let them begin dubbing before the contract was finalized? We have quite a bit of half-proofs that they've begun.
    It could be that the leaked press release was true and they already have the rights to and are already dubbing season 6. These negotiations they are referring to could be exclusively for digital rights, but Funimation wants to present it as a combo license and is holding off on announcing season 6 until they secure digital rights? Idk, hopefully they clear it up soon.

  12. #4972
    I invented sitting firecrouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    San Francisco, CA

    Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion III (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

    Quote Originally Posted by gyarados View Post
    You literally said "Have you ever thought that maybe people that just like to watch the stream or buy DVDs later on might" so I was referring to that group.


    I'm distinguishing because basically releasing DVDs as quick as possible appeases people that buy those DVDs right away. People that don't buy them right away will have less of a problem waiting.

    As for appeasing streamers/potential download purchasers, tell me this: Why should Funimation not seek to please people who directly and financially support the show (DVD buyers) and rather try to please (1) streamers, whose financial contributions pale in comparison to the DVD purchasers, (2) illegal downloaders, who don't give Funimation any money, or (3) people who say they will buy the show if it is available for digital downloads but not on disc (who says they will even buy the show? again, they aren't bringing in any money yet if they aren't currently supporting the DVD releases)


    Why can't they please everyone at once? We're all fans here, we all support the show (except those that watch it illegally, but then again they might go out and buy the DVDs too). Fact is we're not necessarily all bunched in specific groups even though for argument's sake we're putting it that way. All the different outlets for viewing "One Piece" are connected in some way. I mean look at FUNimation's usual strategy: they'll release a bunch of subbed episodes first, probably because they're the most instantly accessible. Then they'll also provide two to four episodes of the dub for free, as well as more episodes of the dub on their EVS service before it comes out on DVD. By providing these episodes before or around the same time as the DVDs for free or at a small subscription, they're essentially enticing fans to go out and buy the DVDs as well. See where I'm going with this?

    I just don't think we should lump fans into a hierarchy simply because of how much cash some fans put upfront over others. Now that's unfair, and it honestly sounds like you're making an issue out of something that isn't really an issue.

    That is impatience. Again, you're gonna get the show anyway, it's not going to hurt you or FUNimation's business if there's a waiting period. And again, FUNimation as you said is a business. And they have other anime they have to release, "One Piece" can't always get the royal treatment.

  13. #4973

    Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion III (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

    It seems to me funimation is trying to do something that will help them more long term when it comes to these streaming deals but I'm sure it'll all work out. I'm still betting on a July or august release for season 6 no later than October

  14. #4974

    Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion III (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

    Quote Originally Posted by firecrouch View Post
    [/COLOR]

    I'm distinguishing because basically releasing DVDs as quick as possible appeases people that buy those DVDs right away. People that don't buy them right away will have less of a problem waiting.



    Why can't they please everyone at once? We're all fans here, we all support the show (except those that watch it illegally, but then again they might go out and buy the DVDs too). Fact is we're not necessarily all bunched in specific groups even though for argument's sake we're putting it that way. All the different outlets for viewing "One Piece" are connected in some way. I mean look at FUNimation's usual strategy: they'll release a bunch of subbed episodes first, probably because they're the most instantly accessible. Then they'll also provide two to four episodes of the dub for free, as well as more episodes of the dub on their EVS service before it comes out on DVD. By providing these episodes before or around the same time as the DVDs for free or at a small subscription, they're essentially enticing fans to go out and buy the DVDs as well. See where I'm going with this?

    I just don't think we should lump fans into a hierarchy simply because of how much cash some fans put upfront over others. Now that's unfair, and it honestly sounds like you're making an issue out of something that isn't really an issue.

    That is impatience. Again, you're gonna get the show anyway, it's not going to hurt you or FUNimation's business if there's a waiting period. And again, FUNimation as you said is a business. And they have other anime they have to release, "One Piece" can't always get the royal treatment.
    [/COLOR]
    You still haven't said what the problem with releasing the DVDs like usual and going for streaming rights later is. How can it be a good thing to make the DVD buyers wait? I don't understand why you are trying to justify making the DVD buyers wait when they could just approach the DVD licenses like usual and try to get streaming rights on the side without interfering the current model used by S4/S5.

  15. #4975
    Discovered Stowaway Elan_Morin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Oregon

    Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion III (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

    THe thing is, based upon all the information available, they've had the DVD rights for a while now, but haven't announced it....this doesn't mean that they haven't been working on it. I think a lot of people are misinterpreting the fact that because they are working on getting g the digital rights, also means they don't have the DVD rights already, which I don't believe is the case.

    Make sense?

    In addition, I think people are also misinterpreting the idea that this means a.delay in the DVD release, even if they do already have them, but really, how long does it take for the digital versions to get prepped for release versus the physical copies....not nearly as long. In fact, I wouldn't doubt the possibility of the idea that they could sign the digital rights contract while the first wave of DVDs were in production, yet still simultaneously release the DVDs and digitals.

    Bottom lining it, I think some of you are epitomizing pessimism by almost actively searching for something to panic over, unnecessarily, I might add.

  16. #4976
    Shipmate Lord Starfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    The middle of nowhere

    Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion III (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

    Quote Originally Posted by Zephray View Post
    I would've preferred movie six first, but I've never seen Z. Is it better?
    My stance is, Film Z is the best One Piece movie whereas Baron Omatsuri is the best of the movies that star the One Piece cast. Which is to say, 6 is the better movie, but it doesn't really feel like One Piece. Whereas Z, I believe, if I hadn't seen a single One Piece movie yet and knew nothing about any of them, and someone were to just say the words "One Piece movie"... I'd probably imagine something pretty damn close to Film Z or Strong World. And Z is the better of those two.

  17. #4977

    Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion III (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

    Quote Originally Posted by Elan_Morin View Post
    THe thing is, based upon all the information available, they've had the DVD rights for a while now, but haven't announced it....this doesn't mean that they haven't been working on it. I think a lot of people are misinterpreting the fact that because they are working on getting g the digital rights, also means they don't have the DVD rights already, which I don't believe is the case.

    Make sense?

    In addition, I think people are also misinterpreting the idea that this means a.delay in the DVD release, even if they do already have them, but really, how long does it take for the digital versions to get prepped for release versus the physical copies....not nearly as long. In fact, I wouldn't doubt the possibility of the idea that they could sign the digital rights contract while the first wave of DVDs were in production, yet still simultaneously release the DVDs and digitals.

    Bottom lining it, I think some of you are epitomizing pessimism by almost actively searching for something to panic over, unnecessarily, I might add.
    bingo season 6 will probably be here by summer 2014

  18. #4978
    I invented sitting firecrouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    San Francisco, CA

    Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion III (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

    Quote Originally Posted by gyarados View Post
    You still haven't said what the problem with releasing the DVDs like usual and going for streaming rights later is. How can it be a good thing to make the DVD buyers wait? I don't understand why you are trying to justify making the DVD buyers wait when they could just approach the DVD licenses like usual and try to get streaming rights on the side without interfering the current model used by S4/S5.
    It's not necessarily a problem if they did what you suggested, but it's also not a problem if they release them all at around the same time for the reasons I've explained. The strategy I metnioned has been working for FUNimation, I honestly think there's an intent behind it that's been working for them.

    And honestly, in this day and age, streaming isn't something you simply do "on the side". It's an integral part of releasing media, like T.V. exposure which helps fuel DVD sales. That's essentially what it is. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a delay, which by the way might not be the case as Elan_Morin points out. Also if we have to wait it shouldn't even be called a delay, just a break in the release schedule.

    Quote Originally Posted by Elan_Morin View Post
    THe thing is, based upon all the information available, they've had the DVD rights for a while now, but haven't announced it....this doesn't mean that they haven't been working on it. I think a lot of people are misinterpreting the fact that because they are working on getting g the digital rights, also means they don't have the DVD rights already, which I don't believe is the case.

    Make sense?

    In addition, I think people are also misinterpreting the idea that this means a.delay in the DVD release, even if they do already have them, but really, how long does it take for the digital versions to get prepped for release versus the physical copies....not nearly as long. In fact, I wouldn't doubt the possibility of the idea that they could sign the digital rights contract while the first wave of DVDs were in production, yet still simultaneously release the DVDs and digitals.

    Bottom lining it, I think some of you are epitomizing pessimism by almost actively searching for something to panic over, unnecessarily, I might add.
    I'm glad you brought up this point, it makes a lot of sense and saves everyone from a headache.

  19. #4979

    Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion III (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

    Quote Originally Posted by firecrouch View Post
    It's not necessarily a problem if they did what you suggested, but it's also not a problem if they release them all at around the same time for the reasons I've explained. The strategy I metnioned has been working for FUNimation, I honestly think there's an intent behind it that's been working for them.

    And honestly, in this day and age, streaming isn't something you simply do "on the side". It's an integral part of releasing media, like T.V. exposure which helps fuel DVD sales. That's essentially what it is. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a delay, which by the way might not be the case as Elan_Morin points out. Also if we have to wait it shouldn't even be called a delay, just a break in the release schedule.



    I'm glad you brought up this point, it makes a lot of sense and saves everyone from a headache.
    Fair enough. For the record, earlier I did mention the same thing he said.

    It could be that the leaked press release was true and they already have the rights to and are already dubbing season 6. These negotiations they are referring to could be exclusively for digital rights, but Funimation wants to present it as a combo license and is holding off on announcing season 6 until they secure digital rights? Idk, hopefully they clear it up soon.
    My complaints were under the assumption that dubbing hasn't started. Either way, I think we can all agree that while it would be nice to have continued releases without any breaks, it's up to funimation and isn't really in our control. Like you said, at the end of the day we are all fans of One Piece, so no need to drag this discussion/argument out. Sorry if I came off as impatient/critical, just wanted to voice my opinion on the situation.


    Also, my copy of V4 is reserved too. Awesome!!

  20. #4980

    Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion III (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

    Quote Originally Posted by Seandream91 View Post
    bingo season 6 will probably be here by summer 2014
    Do you mean 2015? Or 2016?

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    A few months break isn't the end of the world, but I'd prefer no breaks simply because I like my rationing method. I make it so that I watch two new episodes of One Piece every weekend. It's a nice reward at the end of the week, and I look forward to it. So no, I don't want a break at all, but I'm sure I'd survive if it came to that. Sounds like it wouldn't be more than a few months, anyhow, which isn't horrible.
    Has your country trapped you in a literal birdcage? Go back in time with the ikot-ikot fruit and vote Birdie Sanders for President today!



+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts