+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Zero Escape Franchise

Default Re: Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward

^ Don't feel silly for that, I liked reading it. I feel Zero Escape VLR like Journey or Skyrim has just something about it that makes me want to see more first reactions/thought on them.

It's a shame though that it's really hard to join into/comment on the speculations once you completed it.
    I think the thing I'm still very much in awe about (well besides the luna ending because *video embedded down*) is the plot structure and how well it worked given that it shouldn't have.
    Having the focus not too much on silly time paradoxes that just can make everything feel contrived and instead focusing on the experience of obtaining information that helps you in different lines just makes it for me.

Also as supernatural as the explanation is I kind of like how the narrative weaves the gameplay element of changing lines into the plot.

Quote Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
    I 100%'d it

Everything is beautiful and nothing hurts

I loved it so much

I don't even know what thoughts I want to put down other than I feel silly I even put speculation or thoughts in my post earlier, knowing that I'd probably be proven wrong or things being more interesting or complicated than I thought

But jesus this was amazing
    Yep.

I came into it completely cold, having not even heard of 999 outside of a few snippets, and I was blown away. In retrospect, this might have been my favorite game of the year.

Okay some thoughts after digestion.

Spoiler:
    I actually bought entirely that time was slowed. Akane is smart enough to redo the bomb timers and everything so that they're compensating for the %40 or whatever difference. There aren't a lot of complaints I can have with it, it was just cool. I wonder what was in those antidotes though? The Axel...whatever. Wasn't quite sure what was going on there, since they couldn't have been cured, but maybe I'm mistaking something. The game probably has an answer I missed, since it's so tight otherwise.

In regards to Sigma being old oh my god it was hilarious and sad to remember every time he thought he was some 22 year old stud, hitting on girls so casually and openly, probably with confidence... Only to realize he's this ugly ass mofo grandpa. God. I kind of bought this fine, it's not as easy to explain as the slowed time factor, but hey maybe he just was distracted. We've all had those moments where we're like, wondering what's up, only to realize late in the day that we're not wearing socks or something, or in my case realizing a big chunk of my shoulder is bleeding and covered in dried blood.

I assume it's like that. It's not entirely without some problem, but hey it's a pretty good twist so I didn't mind.

And yeah Luna is definitely my favorite character in the game. Everything about her is always what my favoritest characters are... Phi was also pretty great, especially her voice acting. Hell of a lot of personality-- and so distinct!

Thinking about characters, an earlier thought getting an actual explanation and for it to not be a writing weakness was excellent.

Spoiler:
    Dio being such an obvious villain... Was on purpose! Because they needed that mutual enemy to succeed. I kept wondering if there was some grand purpose as to why Dio was so goddamned obvious and it actually came and I was very pleased.

In regards for the sequel,
    with how well most of the stuff got re-/solved in this the one thing I just can't wrap my head around is what the explanation for being able to send clover and alice back in time
    Spoiler:
    as implied in the true ending
    will be.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also wtf uchikoshi's latest tweet xD...
    Last edited by DarthAsthma; January 6th, 2013 at 12:09 AM.

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/03/27...s-last-reward/

At first I was whaaaat?!

And then I remembered all about the timelines. Damn noninfo news...

Yeah, we already knew it'd be like that at least but there's confirmation

Interesting piece from gdc http://www.siliconera.com/2013/04/01...-at-gdc-panel/ with Uchikochi.

So I got this last week and finished it this morning. Great game.

Spoiler:
    Tenmyouji had me. At first, I was like "Oh this takes place in the future and that's Junpei", but then when he said she wasn't his first love to Sigma and Quark, I was like "Hmm, maybe he is telling the truth.. Maybe he's Santa/Aoi. His hair reminds of his. Then it was Junpei XD.

I had a whole list of notes while playing, here they are:
    Luna: Medical License;Zero?GAULEM
    Quark: Asshole?; Radical-6; Zero?
    Dio: Abducted Dec 20? Has a kid, will die if he doesn't win?; Asshole? Killed old woman; Under orders from someone;Myrmidons;
    Phi: Can see in to the different timelines; Tenmyouji; Santa's child?;
    Sigma: Abducted Dec. 25; Can slightly see into different timelines; White blood(Due to chryo freezing?);
    Tenmyouji: Knows of Radical-6(Creator?); Volunteered for Nonary game; Made deal with Zero[To save Quark?]; Mars project;
    Was in love with June?; Junpei?; Or Santa and has picture since she's his sister?(More likely; Looks a bit like him..);
    Alice: Abducted Dec. 22; Radical-6
    Clover: Works for an organisation with Alice;
    K: Amnesia; Raised alone; Father made robot as a mother; Rabbit stuffed animal; Probably Zero; Grew up in the facility; Has the same face as Sigma; Robot/GAULEM?;
    Old woman: participant in Nonary game; Worked in facility with K's father; K's mother? June?
    Zero: Junpei? Eypatch;

Nonary Game: Test to find someone with an immunity to Radical-6? Simulation of Radical 6 outbreak?

Kinda goes around and around and a lot of things were wrong xD, some just goe completely insane, though I got some right...

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3762-9083

I enjoyed "Asshole?" in your notes. Twice.

Fffffuuuccck, I just bought myself a 3DS just to play Virtue's Last Reward, got up to the first room with Alice, and I can't exit out of the memo feature. What a bizarre-ass bug to trigger

Playing through and enjoying.

Is it just me or is Phi's characterization kinda schizo?

She barks at Sigma all the time for not being cold enough, but at one point she chastises him for not being hopeful enough (I believe that's when she HAD to believe Quark was okay or whatever). It seems like you can't win.

Not to mention "I can't read Latin, except for this one plot-relevant page I happened to flip to which grants me to power to for some reason."

Quote Originally Posted by Gliblord View Post
    Playing through and enjoying.

Is it just me or is Phi's characterization kinda schizo?

She barks at Sigma all the time for not being cold enough, but at one point she chastises him for not being hopeful enough (I believe that's when she HAD to believe Quark was okay or whatever). It seems like you can't win.

Not to mention "I can't read Latin, except for this one plot-relevant page I happened to flip to which grants me to power to for some reason."
    The reason for that might become clearer if you just keep playing.
    But if you really can't wait
    Spoiler:
    The reason why Phi behaves very differently might depend on the information she had access to in each timeline.

Damn I think I want to replay the luna section again...

Quote Originally Posted by DarthAsthma View Post
    The reason for that might become clearer if you just keep playing.
    But if you really can't wait
    Spoiler:
    The reason why Phi behaves very differently might depend on the information she had access to in each timeline.

Damn I think I want to replay the luna section again...
    Yeah, I know. So far I've actually stumbled across six locks, and got to the Dio ending.

Having to go through the whole "save Quark" thing a million times is a bit grating, I must say

^ I feel that, maybe for somewhat different reasons.
    I just didn't really care about the kid he was kind of the most uninteresting out of all the characters. (now I feel like a bad person :P)
    Spoiler:

And there aren't really many timelines where you don't have to rescue him which makes him a rather inactive character compared to the others.

Damn it's so hard to write about this without spoiling anything. I might have said to much already...
    Last edited by DarthAsthma; April 23rd, 2013 at 03:37 PM.

At some point, we should see if we can get a re-play together, where we all work through the same sequences during a weekly period. I'm about ready to give the whole game another spin.

Quote Originally Posted by tatermoog View Post
    At some point, we should see if we can get a re-play together, where we all work through the same sequences during a weekly period. I'm about ready to give the whole game another spin.
    I would be up for that, I actually haven't done a full replay yet with the knowledge of finishing the game.

I had my money on Quark being Zero until I found out that the whole "kill yourself" thing is just part of the virus

So yeah, I guess Quark is just... a little kid who gets infected. Lame.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Also, I just got Clover's ending. GODDAMN.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Omg I hate this parallelogram lol

I don't get iiiiiit

Spoiler:
    I was gonna say it's pretty hard to take a character named Dio seriously, but his dickishness and duplicity truly live up to the name. Handcuffing a chick and telling her to enjoy her last 25 minutes of life screaming for help in vain? Yeah you're really super pure and righteous Dio

Oh and hey, just like KONO DIO-SAMA he just wants to go to heaven. And thinks he's "transcended humanity" as a new race to boot!
    Last edited by Gliblord; April 24th, 2013 at 08:11 PM.

Masterpiece. And I thought 999 had a mind-blower for an ending, this game's like a 59 mind-blower pileup.

Spoiler:
    Although I can't help but think the "they're on the moon" twist was kind of dumb. So Radical-6 just happened to slow down their brain functioning so that they thought they were in earth gravity? That doesn't account for things like telling time (shouldn't they have gone "Why is this watch's 'minute' so damn short?"), or why they were able to speak to each other without any of that speed-up effect most of the time. And if they were all infected with Radical-6, why did the suicide thing only happen with Alice and Quark?
    Last edited by Gliblord; April 24th, 2013 at 08:11 PM.

Glad you enjoyed it, Glib.

Might want to go back and edit it in some spoiler tags for other folks who happen into the thread while they're playing it for the first time, like you did.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information