+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Yooka-Laylee (Banjo-Kazooie Spiritual Successor)

King of the Klondike "LC"_Lapen's Avatar

Default Yooka-Laylee (Banjo-Kazooie Spiritual Successor)

There's some big rumblings around twitter right now as the same people who brought us Banjo-Tooie are planning to bring us some of that old Rare magic

https://twitter.com/MingyJongo

Quote Originally Posted by "MingyJongo
    So, what is this twitter thing all about? Right. Firstly, it is to test the waters really, about whether anyone would even think making a game that shares that same kind of humour, silly characters, fun game play, great tunes and all that stuff that we enjoy making.

I think a few of the old team would love to have another go - it's paying for it which we need to work out #spreadtheword
    Grank Kirkhope and @Klungo (the guy who designed the levels for Tooie) have already confirmed via their twitter accounts that this is real and they are on board. This is still in a phase where word needs spreading, but I personally would love a project like this to get off the ground. So tell your friends!

Now we may begin speculation/discussion/general giddyness.

Default Re: Banjo-Tooie Team to make Spiritual Successor(?)

An old school style Rare game by presumably former old school Rare members? In theory this could be the greatest news I've heard in awhile.

God, I hope so. It's been far too long since we had that old Rare magic.

Nuts and Bolts can go to hell.

I liked Nuts N Bolts. It's an alright game once you get past the fact that it doesn't play like the previous two console Banjo games. That and I appreciate it for being the last Rare game that was made with the then-remaining good members of Rare whom all left after it's development (including the company founders, the Stamper Bros.)

If Nuts and Bolts didn't have the Banjo name attached to it, I bet you people would love it. It has a good premise, I've always liked building my own vehicles and then use them to do cool shit. It just... isn't a Banjo game, and that's what hurts it.

If Grant Kirkhope is in, I'm sold. That man knows how to mix tunes. I read a really interesting interview with him about how he got his job etc. on OCRemix. He's a big fan of remixes which I thought was awesome too.

Is it sad I was expecting a kickstarter?

Anyway, could be cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Adams
    I have always been dissatisfied, I know that. But lately I find I reek of discontentment; it fills my throat and floods my brain. Sometimes I fear there's no longer a dream but only the discontentment.

MALKIOR THE DESTROYER KaizokuJinbei's Avatar

PSN: Ryuunaga, Nintendo Switch Friend ID: SW-1971-9767-4001, Steam: Malkior7, 3DS FC: 4167-5777-1464

While I want to be blindly optimistic about it, there's really nothing to get get too excited about... yet. I want to believe that this is completely sincere but between making post as if "googly eyes" is what's needed to make a good game and masturbatory tweets about the glory-days, I just feel like something isn't right.

Nuts and Bolts got a lot of (what these people are saying) made Banjo Kazooie so good; good humor, fun character designs, and great music and everyone in here is bashing it even though this game has nothing to do with it. Though the major problem with Nuts and Bolts is that it doesn't play like the game we wanted; the game plays well, just not a platforming adventure game we've come to expect. And to be fair, its true I didn't want Nuts and Bolts to be Nuts and Bolts either.

What I am trying to say is this Twitter campaign is REALLY bad. Aside from the "From the people who brought you Banjo" there's nothing here. The very first two tweets are literally "give me money". They've made it painfully clear they don't have an idea yet. If they had some character designs, and a concept and were pushing for that I would be all for it. But when they're asking for support for ground up without anything just for them to start thinking of ideas... sorry I'm out. Come back when you got something to work with.

This should of been a quick announcement, "Banjo's Team is back, working on something new! But we'll need your help!"

Not, "Banjo's team will come back... if you follow this twitter... and give us money."

Everyone I know talks about how they came to realize the feeling of 3d gaming (not the trendy "eye-poppin' " 3D, just 3d polygons) with Super Mario 64 or Ocarina of Time, with how they had a whole world to explore (and sometimes, with several more in that game) and how free it felt to move around and do whatever the heck you want. Essentially: explore.

Banjo Kazooie was my "Just explore" game. I was so excited when I finally got to the bits where I could fly. I was only 5 or 6 at the time, but it just blew my mind that I could explore this colorful little island with a giant crab on it (which I'll admit, to this day I still don't know how to defeat it…) and also freakin' fly.

It's unlikely that's going to happen again with new games these days, but I wouldn't mind having a Banjo Kazooie made by some of the original staff.

Nuts n' Bolts looks fun. Not very Banjo Kazooie, but fun as a game all on it's own. I'd play it if I had a 360.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Zoro View Post
    I could explore this colorful little island with a giant crab on it (which I'll admit, to this day I still don't know how to defeat it…)
    You can beat Nipper by using an aerial beak attack (that is, pressing B while in the air) at his eyes after he's done swiping his claws at you. After 3 or 4 swipes he'll take a short break before he attacks again, which is the ideal time to smack his eyes in.

This is exiting news. Mainly because old Rare's developers are still around and kicking. If there's the slightest bit of hope of these guys coming into the industry again, then I'm hyped.

Seeing "Banjo-Tooie" in the thread title reminds me of the game itself. Whoever programmed that last Canary Mary race in Cuckoo Clockoland (sp?) is evil. The last Cheato page alludes me!

But my interest is grabbed. If a Banjo game like Kazooie or Tooie comes out of this, I'll be stoked.

Also I agree with Silver R. Bolt. Nuts n Bolts isn't a bad game, it's just too different, gameplay-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by RPGJay View Post
    You can beat Nipper by using an aerial beak attack (that is, pressing B while in the air) at his eyes after he's done swiping his claws at you. After 3 or 4 swipes he'll take a short break before he attacks again, which is the ideal time to smack his eyes in.
    lol I should've cleared up that I was aiming more towards saying how I just didn't know how to beat him at the time, and how it was just a mystery that bothered me during my childhood for a bit. I'm sure I would've been able to figure it out if I played it again today, seing how I've grown considerably since I touched the game. Good to know, though! 5 year old me would have never thought of that.

MALKIOR THE DESTROYER KaizokuJinbei's Avatar

http://mynintendonews.com/2015/02/14...aytonic-games/

First art for the Banjo Kazooie spiritual successor.

http://mynintendonews.com/2015/02/16...or-soundtrack/

In addition they got 3 Rare veterans (Grant Kirkhope, David Wise, and Steve Burke) to do music for the game.
    PSN: Ryuunaga, Nintendo Switch Friend ID: SW-1971-9767-4001, Steam: Malkior7, 3DS FC: 4167-5777-1464

Grant Kirkhope? That's awesome.
    BUT IT STILL NOT BANJO!*goes crying into a corner*

Kirkhope was doing music for A Hat in Time too.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    Nuts and Bolts can go to hell.
    We know the game will have company seeing as how Perfect Dark Zero, Donkey Kong 64, & Battletoads are already down there.

Quote Originally Posted by MetaMario View Post
    Whoever programmed that last Canary Mary race in Cuckoo Clockoland (sp?) is evil.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    We know the game will have company seeing as how Perfect Dark Zero, Donkey Kong 64, & Battletoads are already down there.
    U don't like DK64?

http://media.giphy.com/media/RSdCETrepVFxm/giphy.gif
    Really? You just quoted an 2 year-old post?

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    U don't like DK64?
    You do?

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    [URL="http://media.giphy.com/media/RSdCETrepVFxm/giphy.gif"]
    Really? You just quoted an 2 year-old post?
    Why not?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information