+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 240 of 341

Thread: Yooka-Laylee (Banjo-Kazooie Spiritual Successor)

  1. #221

    Default Re: Yooka-Laylee (Banjo-Kazooie Spiritual Successor)

    Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    No it isn't. It really isn't always nice. Like even at surface level, it's just extra grunts that don't add much, besides leaving their game attached to a racist?
    I completely understand why they're removing him, it's just that the concept of lost media drives me nuts.

  2. #222
    Stay foxy out there! Kitsune Inferno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and Nowhere

    Default Re: Yooka-Laylee (Banjo-Kazooie Spiritual Successor)

    If the world lost 90 seconds of JonTron shouting incomprehensibly at something, I almost feel like that would be a net positive.

  3. #223

    Default Re: Yooka-Laylee (Banjo-Kazooie Spiritual Successor)

    Quote Originally Posted by RoboBlue View Post
    I completely understand why they're removing him, it's just that the concept of lost media drives me nuts.
    So does it drive you nuts that pretty much every movie ever made has like 5 hours worth of cut scenes, most of which won't even be on extended cuts or deleted scenes reels?

  4. #224

    Default Re: Yooka-Laylee (Banjo-Kazooie Spiritual Successor)

    Quote Originally Posted by Foolio View Post
    So does it drive you nuts that pretty much every movie ever made has like 5 hours worth of cut scenes, most of which won't even be on extended cuts or deleted scenes reels?
    Every game has this too, it just bothers him in this case because if he didn't make a deal out of the jontron thing nobody would have

  5. #225

    Default Re: Yooka-Laylee (Banjo-Kazooie Spiritual Successor)

    Quote Originally Posted by Foolio View Post
    So does it drive you nuts that pretty much every movie ever made has like 5 hours worth of cut scenes, most of which won't even be on extended cuts or deleted scenes reels?
    Would it really surprise you if I said yes?

  6. #226

    Default Re: Yooka-Laylee (Banjo-Kazooie Spiritual Successor)

    Quote Originally Posted by RoboBlue View Post
    Would it really surprise you if I said yes?
    I'm afraid this will range off topic from what this thread is specifically about, and I'm not going to touch on the topic that led to this at all, but this sentiment you're expressing here is beyond baffling to me.


    This post was originally a line or two of gibberish, created by me just pounding away for a few seconds at my keyboard. I have edited it to add this post, and in the process, removed that gibberish. That original post was, at least in the loosest sense of the word, 'media'; it is now gone. Does that, too, upset you?


    'Creation' for its own sake has no inherent value, but your argument seems to require insistence that it does. There are an unfathomably infinite number of things that people can create, and you can't possibly go through your life bemoaning the fact that, by definition, more or less all of them never come to exist. You presumably do not, for example, find the fact that my voice isn't going to be in the game to be any great loss. Why should you care any more about the one in question?


    Of course, there are plenty of very reasonable answers to that question. Value is subjective, and can come from any number of places. If there were something about this specific example that made you want to have it, and thus make you regret the loss of that option, then fair. However, again, that doesn't seem to be what you're arguing. You are speaking of 'media' in the general sense, as if the specifics don't matter at all. In that case, the only difference between my voice not being in the game and Jon's voice not being in the game that I can think of is the simple fact that his voice in the game had been 'created'​. That is the only possible reason I can think of for its removal upsetting you -- in a generic sense, on a level of principle, without any concern for any details surrounding the specifics of what exactly it was that has been removed -- and that is where I cannot begin to understand you.
    Last edited by Panda Bear; March 25th, 2017 at 11:01 AM. Reason: A thought exercise

  7. #227

    Default Re: Yooka-Laylee (Banjo-Kazooie Spiritual Successor)

    Quote Originally Posted by Panda Bear View Post
    This post was originally a line or two of gibberish, created by me just pounding away for a few seconds at my keyboard. I have edited it to add this post, and in the process, removed that gibberish. That original post was, at least in the loosest sense of the word, 'media'; it is now gone. Does that, too, upset you?
    The removal of Jontron's voice doesn't upset me, and I'm not going to lose sleep over it. I just said "hey it would be nice if this piece of content wasn't cut from a work of art I've been looking forward to for years, but I probably wasn't going to hear it anyway because I keep the audio off 99% of the time while gaming."

    Quote Originally Posted by Panda Bear View Post
    'Creation' for its own sake has no inherent value, but your argument seems to require insistence that it does. There are an unfathomably infinite number of things that people can create, and you can't possibly go through your life bemoaning the fact that, by definition, more or less all of them never come to exist. You presumably do not, for example, find the fact that my voice isn't going to be in the game to be any great loss. Why should you care any more about the one in question?
    There's a difference between a lost forum post and the scraps that go unused when a work of art is released.

    Quote Originally Posted by Panda Bear View Post
    Of course, there are plenty of very reasonable answers to that question. Value is subjective, and can come from any number of places. If there were something about this specific example that made you want to have it, and thus make you regret the loss of that option, then fair. However, again, that doesn't seem to be what you're arguing. You are speaking of 'media' in the general sense, as if the specifics don't matter at all. In that case, the only difference between my voice not being in the game and Jon's voice not being in the game that I can think of is the simple fact that his voice in the game had been 'created'​. That is the only possible reason I can think of for its removal upsetting you -- in a generic sense, on a level of principle, without any concern for any details surrounding the specifics of what exactly it was that has been removed -- and that is where I cannot begin to understand you.
    Again, "upset" really doesn't describe my feelings on this.

    I'm significantly more bothered that several people responded to my "hey it would be nice if this thing was released to the public" post with "NO, IT'S EVIL!"

    It's dangerously close to book burning.

  8. #228
    Discovered Stew Femme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    A very special place

    Default Re: Yooka-Laylee (Banjo-Kazooie Spiritual Successor)

    It's an odd opinion is all. Like no one will feel great about hearing someone's voice who believes terrible, hateful things in a game they want to enjoy playing.
    To hear someone say, "it'd be nice if they didn't cut the voice of a racist guy that disgusts me with his douchey opinions" is like .. odd.
    Hidden:



  9. #229

    Default Re: Yooka-Laylee (Banjo-Kazooie Spiritual Successor)

    Quote Originally Posted by RoboBlue View Post
    There's a difference between a lost forum post and the scraps that go unused when a work of art is released.
    I read the rest of your post as being an issue of semantics, so I'll just take it at face value that 'upset' wasn't the best choice of words. It's irrelevant to my point, at any rate.

    This right here, however, is the crux of the issue, so I'll press you on it: what? What is the difference between the two, at some intrinsic level, that lets you make this claim? How are they different? In fact, I'll go further, and ask why the lost forum post inherently has less value (not something you've stated outright, but implicit in your using that as a counterpoint). Obviously you could argue that for the specific example I used; it was intentionally simplistic. But what if the lost post had been a long, meaningful reflection on the meaning of humanity? What if I had posted the proof to one of the Millennium Prize Problems? Would it still have been different -- lesser -- compared to 'scraps' from 'a work of art', simply due to having been created in a different medium, with different intentions?

  10. #230
    Voici La Chévre Wagomu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Location

    Default Re: Yooka-Laylee (Banjo-Kazooie Spiritual Successor)

    Quote Originally Posted by RoboBlue View Post
    It's dangerously close to book burning.
    What are you even talking about. I can't find the words to fully grasp how bad of a comparison this is.

    You just put up the weight of every lost chapter of history, the blood sweat and tears of every author who has ever been made unknown to the ages, every idea that has ever been suppressed or destroyed by the destructive whims of hateful people up against some racist's farts captured in microphone being pulled from an unreleased work.

    Don't you think that the authors maybe cut ties with the racist because they no longer wanted their work to be associated with him through an essentially meaningless soundclip (that they can just generate with maybe a minute's worth of effort? Doesn't leaving the clip in their defeat the purpose of the action? Maybe none of us want to uphold the rights of a bigoted asshole to be a part of something that he was invited to be a part of, and then was ditched after he made a public spectacle of himself for saying some awful things?

    But yeah, we are totally destroying civilization here by thinking this way.

    3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

  11. #231

    Default Re: Yooka-Laylee (Banjo-Kazooie Spiritual Successor)

    I really don't care enough about this to discuss it any further.

  12. #232
    Voici La Chévre Wagomu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Location

    Default Re: Yooka-Laylee (Banjo-Kazooie Spiritual Successor)

    Please think before you make a statement like that, then. It's really frustrating to hear you make an accusation like that without really having the energy or desire to argue it, nor the humility to admit any wrong.

    3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

  13. #233
    Do you wanna borrow it? Khamolen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Aquidneck Island

    Default Re: Yooka-Laylee (Banjo-Kazooie Spiritual Successor)

    The amount of "Playtronic says they support tolerance and diversity but you're not tolerant of intolerance! GOTCHA!" and variations of that this whole thing has inspired is really something.

  14. #234

    Default Re: Yooka-Laylee (Banjo-Kazooie Spiritual Successor)

    Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    Please think before you make a statement like that, then. It's really frustrating to hear you make an accusation like that without really having the energy or desire to argue it, nor the humility to admit any wrong.
    I'll discuss it with you in PM, I just really want to get the thread back on track.

  15. #235

    Default Re: Yooka-Laylee (Banjo-Kazooie Spiritual Successor)

    What in the world...



    I thought this was supposed to be satire at first.

    Is this "fighting white supremacy makes you a white supremacist" a new low or is it an actual thing?
    Last edited by King Cannon; March 26th, 2017 at 04:38 PM.

  16. #236

    Default Re: Yooka-Laylee (Banjo-Kazooie Spiritual Successor)

    Quote Originally Posted by King Cannon View Post
    What in the world...

    https://i.imgur.com/vRqv4Nr.jpg

    I thought this was supposed to be satire at first.

    Is this "fighting white supremacy makes you a white supremacist" a new low or is it an actual thing?
    Have any blogs/news outlets reported that, or is it just a few random people?

  17. #237
    21st Century Schizoid Man Johnny B. Decent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Arizona

    Default Re: Yooka-Laylee (Banjo-Kazooie Spiritual Successor)

    The internet is f***ing stupid.

  18. #238

    Default Re: Yooka-Laylee (Banjo-Kazooie Spiritual Successor)

    Pretty sure Jontron isn't white (son of Iranian immigrants apparently) so they're (satirically) saying Playtonic kicked him out because he wasn't white. And they're right that the team has no minorities (at least as far as I've seen) which is something people do legitimately complain about but I'm pretty sure that post isn't sincere.

  19. #239

    Default Re: Yooka-Laylee (Banjo-Kazooie Spiritual Successor)

    Quote Originally Posted by RoboBlue View Post
    Have any blogs/news outlets reported that, or is it just a few random people?
    The Yooka-Laylee Steam Forums are going bonkers, apparently. I can't tell who's using sarcasm or not (or if there's any in the first place).

    Spoiler:

    Last edited by King Cannon; March 26th, 2017 at 05:27 PM.

  20. #240

    Default Re: Yooka-Laylee (Banjo-Kazooie Spiritual Successor)

    It's starting to look like a serious campaign from assholes to sink the game.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts