Closed Thread
Page 1247 of 1301 FirstFirst ... 247 747 1147 1197 1237 1245 1246 1247 1248 1249 1257 1297 ... LastLast
Results 24,921 to 24,940 of 26011

Thread: Next Strawhat Crewmate (Vol. 6)

Default Re: Next Strawhat Crewmate (Vol. 6)

Monkey King throwing down the gauntlet

Not supporting carrot or lookout role, but it's super sayian rabbit lookout that can just fly ahead and wreck enemy ships and sht. It's not about how awesome oda can make it, it's more about what actual pirate roles we could get and don't have yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    Hey I got a real challenge for you.
    This is the biggest one, ready?

Imagine we're a bunch of nine year old boys who love reading One Piece and seeing Luffy's awesome adventures, and people getting punched.
    Not every position Oda has introduced to the crew is exciting to us at first, but he makes it work.
    Helmsman? Us nine year old boys didn't care.... UNTIL HE WAS SHIP SURFING IN A GIANT WAVE. COWABUNGA!
    Musician? Eh, I guess the skeleton man plays some fun songs.... BUT WHOOOA MUSIC ATTACKS!!!
    Shipwright? Who cares about a mechanic? .... ROBOT GUNDAM BODY???? WHOAAA.
    Archaeologist? Yawwwwn. .... MAJOR EVIL GOVERNMENT CONSPIRACIES INVOLVING ASSASSINS AND SEALED APOCALYPTIC WEAPONS???? RADICAL.

And so on and so forth.

So then, Avocadointherain. Your task is to sell us, the nine year old boys hyped up on sugar, the apparently exciting and swashbuckling role of "Lookout".

Excite me.
    Go.
    I notice you left out cook and doctor, because neither of those has really been all that exciting. And even then you acknowledge that it took a while after officially joining for certain jobs to get exciting moments. Why don't you extend that benefit of the doubt to the lookout position?

As for how the lookout position can be exciting, that's super easy. The lookout hypes up the dangerous and exciting stuff. The lookout builds suspense and anticipation for strange and exciting stuff like people walking on water, new islands to explore, enemies approaching riding on a tsunami, enemy fleets closing in... You know, cool stuff. The lookout position is intrinsically tied with showing the reader cool stuff. If the archeologist position meets your standards of excitement by just telling the reader about cool stuff, then the lookout should also meet your standards by actually showing us cool stuff.

Look at this sequence and look at how hype Oda makes Luffy:

Hidden:

And here Luffy chastises Robin for not doing a good job of pointing out the exciting stuff, because the lookout is supposed to hype you up.

Hidden:

And if you want en example of the lookout personally doing something exciting, then you don't need to look further than Carrot's second chapter. Franky's expression here is clearly Oda telling us how exciting the thing he's writing is. That's the whole point of reaction shots. If it doesn't meet your standards, then sucks to be you, but I thought it was pretty damn cool, and so does Oda.

Hidden:

Was this "challenge" actually supposed to stump me, or were you just trolling again?

Purely coincidence

So then, Avocadointherain. Your task is to sell us, the nine year old boys hyped up on sugar, the apparently exciting and swashbuckling role of "Lookout".

Excite me.
    Go.
    I am not defending the role as a reason for a character to join, but if you are a nine-year-old and your image of a pirate crew is what child books and comics show, you will probably know the guy who's always high up there looking with the scope and telling the crew that a new ship or island is on the way.

If it's excitement we are talking about, I can't wait to see how a musician singing a song in a freaking manga panel (no sound, not even a sense of pace) will replace the hype for adventure that a good "Land ho!" will always trigger.

And yep, I'm only half-serious here but I wonder how can the lookout job not be exciting to the viewer if it literally implies hyping exciting events to appear. Of course the routine is boring, like the routine of helming is, but don't worry, Oda won't spend many panels on uneventful periods anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by AvocadoInTheRain View Post
    I notice you left out cook and doctor, because neither of those has really been all that exciting.
    The cook makes exotic fun travelogue foods, to make the mouth water.
    The doctor has magic pills that transform him into mutant reindeer forms.

As for how the lookout position can be exciting, that's super easy. The lookout hypes up the dangerous and exciting stuff. The lookout builds suspense and anticipation for strange and exciting stuff like people walking on water, new islands to explore, enemies approaching riding on a tsunami, enemy fleets closing in... You know, cool stuff.
    Holy crap this is pathetic. You have failed utterly.
    "THIS AWESOME POSITION THAT WE ALREADY HAVE APPARENTLY (WATCH AS I CITE COUNTLESS EXAMPLES PRE-CARROT LOL), IS ......WAIT FOR IT.... CHARACTERS NOTICING EXCITING THINGS. YOU MAY THING THE THINGS ARE WHAT IS EXCITING, BUT YOU'D BE WRONG. IT'S THE NOTICING!"

I really don't think that we have to look for specific examples with Carrot. The lookout role is one that inherently creates hype for upcoming events, it is very easy to make it exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugeeking View Post
    I really don't think that we have to look for specific examples with Carrot. The lookout role is one that inherently creates hype for upcoming events, it is very easy to make it exciting.
    Do you even realize that you just completely minimized any speciality or required individual in this role?

Do you even realize that you just completely minimized any speciality or required individual in this role?
    Just throw some no name up their and it's hyped MK, don't you see it?!

Well, I answered your question. "How can you make this role exciting?" and I'm showing my perplexity because what it implies makes it exciting for the viewer by default.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugeeking View Post
    Well, I answered your question. "How can you make this role exciting?" and I'm showing my perplexity because what it implies makes it exciting for the viewer by default.
    Except you haven't. Nothing is exciting about the lookout, I'm not talking about what they see, I'm talking about them.
    Moreover there's nothing exciting about nothing new. If you can't even describe something fresh about it you've failed utterly.
    Helmsman seems boring, but no one was wave surfing the Sunny or Merry before Jimbei.
    Meanwhile seeing the next island or weird shit like Chess "standing" on the ocean has been casually done since forever ago.
    You can't sell someone on something they already have.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Again imagine you're selling this to a panel of nine year old boy executives looking to invest minecraft gold into your project.

"Ok, so Carrot will be able to do this incredible new thing for the crew! She can stand in the crow's nest and SEE COOL THINGS AHEAD!"

The boys will promptly call you a "booger" and point out that they already do that on the ship.

The cook makes exotic fun travelogue foods, to make the mouth water.
    The doctor has magic pills that transform him into mutant reindeer forms.
    Oda has never been that good at drawing food that makes the mouth water, look back at the rice he gave Gin, or the soup that the baratie crew said was bad in order to chase him off. Those looked like lumpy nothing, and water respectively. No kid is getting hyped at those things. And are sugar high 9-year olds going to associate Chopper's transformations with him putting bandages on booboos?

Holy crap this is pathetic. You have failed utterly.
    "THIS AWESOME POSITION THAT WE ALREADY HAVE APPARENTLY (WATCH AS I CITE COUNTLESS EXAMPLES PRE-CARROT LOL), IS ......WAIT FOR IT.... CHARACTERS NOTICING EXCITING THINGS. YOU MAY THING THE THINGS ARE WHAT IS EXCITING, BUT YOU'D BE WRONG. IT'S THE NOTICING!"
    This is an adventure manga dude, discovering new exciting and dangerous things is a huge part of that. If Oda didn't think that the noticing of the thing helped build hype for it, why did he waste so much space on everyone's reactions to Carrot here?

Hidden:

Stephen Spielberg understands that its the human element of a discovery that makes things exciting to us. That's a large part of what made him one of the greatest filmmakers of all time. Look up the "Spielberg stare".

Purely coincidence

Except you haven't. Nothing is exciting about the lookout, I'm not talking about what they see, I'm talking about them.
    Moreover there's nothing exciting about nothing new. If you can't even describe something fresh about it you've failed utterly.
    Helmsman seems boring, but no one was wave surfing the Sunny or Merry before Jimbei.
    Meanwhile seeing the next island or weird shit like Chess "standing" on the ocean has been casually done since forever ago.
    You can't sell someone on something they already have.
    I don't know, but saying "no just no" is not an argument. I can't fight against your personal and arbitrary standards for entertainment, you are not a burden of proof. So, whatever.

You can easily use panelling in manga to make a lookout routine exciting by pointing at something that is about to appear or get in the way. Pretty basic actually.

And I guess that last bit is for Avocado, because I'm talking about the role in general. Carrot being the lookout would not change in any way this basis. As for specific elements that Carrot adds, I'm not focusing on them here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaime View Post
    Just throw some no name up their and it's hyped MK, don't you see it?!
    Yet Robin managed to fuck it up somehow. Luffy wants an excitable person up in the crow's nest, and Carrot is perfect for that.

Purely coincidence

I don't understand how her being an official lookout can be an argument when she literally failed to do it when approaching Wano. Surely that's when Oda would show it off
    "Don't speak ill of Zoro."

Don't know what to say... Monquito's Avatar

I just read Carrot's Wikia just cause she's boring af and didn't give much attention during her participation in WCI, realized I missed several things tho.
    however you can easily see how her bigger barriers to ever join are; being a talking animal and be named so generically.
    chances dropped to -1% of joining.

Oda has never been that good at drawing food that makes the mouth water, look back at the rice he gave Gin, or the soup that the baratie crew said was bad in order to chase him off. Those looked like lumpy nothing, and water respectively.
    Probably because those are...

1. Rice.
    2. Soup.

Naturally you have decided not to cite virtually anything past the Baratie lol.
    Of course I know what you're going to say! "See it took some time!". Except you have proven absolutely incapable of describing how the Lookout might yet become exciting in the future!
    And that's ok, I don't blame you. Because there is no way to do that.

This is an adventure manga dude, discovering new exciting and dangerous things is a huge part of that.
    Someone announcing that the next panel will be exciting is not an ability that is exciting. Nor is it an ability.
    Nor is it something we need Carrot for because as you yourself pointed out we've been having it done constantly from basically the start of the series.

This is why btw you are a terrible theorizer. Because your main concern is justifying the theory, and not examining the series itself for evidence of things.
    You've staked out a thing ahead of evidence, and are going backwards from there to bend and break the comic to make things fit.
    That's how a person finds themselves arguing something this self-evidently ridiculous.

Stephen Spielberg understands that its the human element of a discovery that makes things exciting to us. That's a large part of what made him one of the greatest filmmakers of all time. Look up the "Spielberg stare".

Character's reacting to things is not a job or role that we require someone for, it's something Oda does all the time constantly regardless of where they are or what they are doing. It's not a Position. It's not an Ability. It is not the source of excitement.
    It's so insanely obvious that you don't believe what you are arguing by the by. You believe in Carrot naturally, but come the fuck on lol.

The lookout position is only really useful for naval battles. The rest of the time they just have to yell that there is an island at 12 o'clock
    She could do...something whit her Sulong form ? maybe.

Hey, at least I'm trying. Not that I really care

Luffy wants an excitable person up in the crow's nest
    Find us exactly one panel demonstrating this claim.

In fact find us exactly one panel with the crew stressing or expressing desire for someone special to fill this role.

21st Century Schizoid Man S.C. Amigo's Avatar

Hey I got a real challenge for you.
    This is the biggest one, ready?

Imagine we're a bunch of nine year old boys who love reading One Piece and seeing Luffy's awesome adventures, and people getting punched.
    Not every position Oda has introduced to the crew is exciting to us at first, but he makes it work.
    Helmsman? Us nine year old boys didn't care.... UNTIL HE WAS SHIP SURFING IN A GIANT WAVE. COWABUNGA!
    Musician? Eh, I guess the skeleton man plays some fun songs.... BUT WHOOOA MUSIC ATTACKS!!!
    Shipwright? Who cares about a mechanic? .... ROBOT GUNDAM BODY???? WHOAAA.
    Archaeologist? Yawwwwn. .... MAJOR EVIL GOVERNMENT CONSPIRACIES INVOLVING ASSASSINS AND SEALED APOCALYPTIC WEAPONS???? RADICAL.

And so on and so forth.

Excite me.
    Go.
    MK, I wanted to ask you this for a while. What other position on the crew is a vital fit left to fill? I mean, we got a first mate, navigator, helmsman, doctor, cook, and shipwright. That's the major roles needed to keep a ship going.

Quote Originally Posted by Monquito View Post
    I just read Carrot's Wikia just cause she's boring af and didn't give much attention during her participation in WCI, realized I missed several things tho.
    however you can easily see how her bigger barriers to ever join are; being a talking animal and be named so generically.
    chances dropped to -1% of joining.
    Nami: the name means "wave".

Sanji: the name alludes at him being number three.

I can't hold the excitement with these names!

(and yeah, Carrot is a lame name. But more to you and me than to Oda, who is not an English speaker).

Closed Thread

Thread Information