+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Trails in the Sky

Default Re: Trails in the Sky

Made it to Bleublanc/Black Rabbit.
    Spoiler:
    A wild Sharon appears. Weirdly one of my favs, probably because the mystery around her is so fun. Also that Joshua/Renne namedrop making me want to know the conclusion to that storyline so badly(from what I've heard 3rd gives us Renne backstory but the Azure saga finishes that story line for now).

Also regretting playing on normal. Takes so much effort and I'm in lazy mode where I don't really want to spend time optimizing anything. So far I haven't made any new Quartz nor spend time improving equipment beyond what I find and it's been challenging to get by sometimes.

Loved being in the Nordlands again. Shitty area design wise given how empty it is but I like the Nomad tribe having some of my favorite NPCs(That Thoma/Sharl shipping). They're just so chill and friendly. People you would love to spend your vacation with.

Also took Claire with me cause she seemed way better combat wise.
    Last edited by DarthAsthma; November 19th, 2016 at 01:51 PM.

Ah yes, Bleublanc makes his fabulous entrance into the game. A man you just have to love especially considering who his rival is.

Spoiler:
    I still actually like the Nord area even if it is overall empty. If the whole game had areas like that it would suck, but in this case I like one area that is big and wide. Agree that the people are awesome and would be a kind of place I would like to experience living in for a while. And yes, Sharon is just a whole lot of fun, and who affiliation makes it even more interesting.

What kind of difficulty are you having in normal? Except for a few exceptions I generally had a pretty easy time for the most part, even before breaking the game. I only made a few of my own quartz and used the ones that I collected through the game. Also, what are your current thoughts on the knight battles?

Quote Originally Posted by The Franky Tank View Post
    Ah yes, Bleublanc makes his fabulous entrance into the game. A man you just have to love especially considering who his rival is.

Spoiler:
    I still actually like the Nord area even if it is overall empty. If the whole game had areas like that it would suck, but in this case I like one area that is big and wide. Agree that the people are awesome and would be a kind of place I would like to experience living in for a while. And yes, Sharon is just a whole lot of fun, and who affiliation makes it even more interesting.

What kind of difficulty are you having in normal? Except for a few exceptions I generally had a pretty easy time for the most part, even before breaking the game. I only made a few of my own quartz and used the ones that I collected through the game. Also, what are your current thoughts on the knight battles?
    Spoiler:
    My biggest hurdle on normal currently is lacking dmg, especially for hitting bonus AP requirements. Boss fights can take tons of time as well. But that's pretty much on me cause I've just been too lazy to engage in the systems. Also feel underleveled judging by attempting challenge chest about 4-5 level below what they say.

I really hope I get to learn more about Sharon down the line I want to know what the deal is on why she's surprisingly loyal to the Reinfordts skirting the lines with her Ouroboros duties.
    Another thing that is looming in my mind is how awful the NG+ reward structure is in Cold Steel II coupled with not being able to fast skip through scenes, :-x 0 improvements. Only relevant because I resolved myself to plat this as well and it's annoying me to no end that the all bonding events perk costs 5 points. It's such a dumb design. Oh well but that's for the future right now it's time to enjoy the moment.

The moment I look forward to the most right now is that opening scene where the whole of Thors rallies around Rean. Always fun to lead a Resistance group of somewhat colorful personalities(side thought: also kind of part of the appeal of Fire Emblem).

Edit: also yeah I actually like the area as well but more for the atmosphere and ambiance. Playing through it is a bit of a drag. Thankfully though fast travelling options where pretty kind to keep tedium tolerable.
    Last edited by DarthAsthma; November 19th, 2016 at 02:47 PM.

Aaaaand I finished the Jusis Reunion.
    Spoiler:
    Duvalie and McBurn(that name xD) quite the comedic entrance.
    Legram is always a nice place to be in. Probably my favorite part of Cold Steel I especially Lohengram Castle.

Srsly annoyed by the bonding even restrictions, like urgh. There are just soooooo many characters I want to learn more about but the game won't let me.
    I really hope the system gets reworked in CSIII or just trashed given that it's not a good implementation.
    Give me back proper in story mandatory character moments like in Sky.

Also given everything I learned this chapter + all the ties and stuff I feel like Ouroboros Grandmaster might have strong ties to Dreichsel if not being Dreichsel himself.

Update:
    Spoiler:
    Just did the whole Airship Escape segment. That was a highpoint for me. Loved getting a bit of time with all the antagonist. One of my favorite things about Trails is how legends/famed fighters are integrated into it.
    In the first game it was Cassius and several Liberl Military as well as some namedrops of famed Erebonian lines(Zander).
    Cold Steel II just drops tons of them and it just fucking cool exchanging blows with lots of them several time and every time you actually get to gain the upper hand it feels super earned after getting smacked down so many times.

They also serve as story mile stones of growth and growing is just one of my favorite aspects of RPGs, be it stats, character development, etc. It's just fun going on a journey and evolving.

Also on my list of wanting to meet is Yun Kafai. Dude has such an interesting cultural influence in the trails world.
    Last edited by DarthAsthma; November 20th, 2016 at 04:32 PM.

Jeez you are making quick progress of the game.

Spoiler:
    Duvalie is probably my favorites introduced in this game, and her banter with McBurn is pretty great. The airship stuff was pretty great and finally unlocks another aspect of the battle system with Rean. That and just seeing all these powerful players in one spot is something to behold, and not to mention the reunion of Bleublanc and Olivert! There is a lot of great things about this game, but as you mentioned the bonding restrictions and the way they are done make for many less interesting characters, so I put it below FC because of that. However, the flow of the story feels much better than SC so that's why I put it above that game.

Now you are getting to the parts I'm really interested to know your reactions about. Before it was just reuniting with the class and getting snippits of what is going on, but this is where the real meat of the story begins.

well I got engrossed with it and that was pretty much my whole weekend, RIP. I hope I can get a few more hours next weekend but right now it seems like I have catch up on tons of pixel art which is probably a good 40 hours I need to reserve(but srsly I'll probably just sacrifice some sleep shit is just too good that's happening now) so progress going to slow down considerably I assume. Unless I decide to be a "bad student".

And yes can definitely see how it's a turning point now. Super hype. It's funny how Cold Steel II manages to have a slow start(with reuniting with everyone) in typical trails fashion and all after that suuuuuuuuper hype ending of CS I. Not that it's bad I actually like how the series has no problem letting things slowly build up, but it seems to be very entrenched into the series DNA. Even the CS I opener which was in media rez was more of a band aid approach to it's slow build up rather than a true shift.

I'm part way through chapter 3 (just did the buildnig for the umpteenth time) and loving it. Although I am having a lot of issues getting into it every time I sit down to play. Perhaps its the slow pace of the game but feels like I'm plodding through it. Might just be me
    Oh hey, I do videos on figures and manga and stuff: https://www.youtube.com/thatmanhismerch

Squeezed in a few hours
    Spoiler:
    Only thing I have to say the reveal of the hooded man. I totally lost my shit laughing. I was expecting a few different people but not Thomas.

Also the Couragious makes me miss Suikoden and makes me want a proper amazing One Piece RPG telling a story far away from the main cast. It's such a simple thing gathering members some that bring game system benefits, but it always feels great.
    Fire Emblem kind of has that too.

I hate the bonding system so much actually. It's terrible absolutely terrible, it introduces so many issues for relatively small payback that weren't there in the sky series to begin with :-x. makes the Platinum painful too. Urgh.....
    and somehow Cold Steel II is still my favorite game so far after Persona5 and the Witness this year(ranking before Dark Soul III that franchise fatigue x_X).

getting all the bonding trophies is actually incredibly easy if you just reset after getting the trophies

Quote Originally Posted by Ruin View Post
    getting all the bonding trophies is actually incredibly easy if you just reset after getting the trophies
    Yes but it seems tedious as hell. Guide I'm frequenting says it's about 15 min per 2 characters on your first run and that's with skipping with circle through the whole section until the trophy appears. That seems worse than in the first game and that was already tedious.

+ I'm just annoyed at the Bonding restrictions(Srsly game let me learn more about all my cool party members there's no benefit to walling that off... :-/). It's a bit dumb to limit them and then sell the restriction lifter for 5 NG points which most won't take that want to go for the platinum(cause second run is the Nightmare run so inheriting levels, etc is better). And if you're in your third run you've already seen all the events by then making it an obsolete option.

It's sad that with how great the story is, the characters are weaker due to the bonding events. Most of them are usually pretty mundane with a few character events having substance. The only two that I always went to when they were available were Jusis and Fie, while the other ones I chose depended on how interesting the event sounded. Even then the best characters in this game barely live up to Trails in the Sky, but don't get close to the likes of Estelle, Olivier, or Kloe.

It's sad that with how great the story is, the characters are weaker due to the bonding events. Most of them are usually pretty mundane with a few character events having substance. The only two that I always went to when they were available were Jusis and Fie, while the other ones I chose depended on how interesting the event sounded. Even then the best characters in this game barely live up to Trails in the Sky, but don't get close to the likes of Estelle, Olivier, or Kloe.
    Understandable given that this game seems to be about progressing Fie's and Jusis' story, and maybe Emma? So far I only feel teased >_<.
    CSI dealt with Alisa, Elliot, Machias.

Gaius kind of lacks conflict yet so his character feels often like he's just there, but I just read a pretty cool theory from someone that played through the entire series.

Rean so far is a bit of a good hearted teen angst wet noodle, although I can see the potential where the C(let's refer to it with C to not spoil) thing might go.

Laura has a bit of a similar problem in that, that her personal quest lacks a strong conflict + being pretty damn reasonable as a person.
    So she is more like a catalyst for other characters.

Millium, I have no comments xD mostly because I'm very lukewarm on her character wise. Mostly interesting to me because of her ties to the Black Workshop which if I remember is an Ourouboros thing and her ties to the Ironbloods.

As for my choice of Bonding events, I choose those that unlock character notes *DPO, depressing platinum obsession*
    Last edited by DarthAsthma; November 30th, 2016 at 04:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthAsthma View Post
    Understandable given that this game seems to be about progressing Fie's and Jusis' story, and maybe Emma? So far I only feel teased >_<.
    CSI dealt with Alisa, Elliot, Machias.

Gaius kind of lacks conflict yet so his character feels often like he's just there, but I just read a pretty cool theory from someone that played through the entire series.

Rean so far is a bit of a good hearted teen angst wet noodle, although I can see the potential where the C(let's refer to it with C to not spoil) thing might go.

Laura has a bit of a similar problem in that, that her personal quest lacks a strong conflict + being pretty damn reasonable as a person.
    So she is more like a catalyst for other characters.

Millium, I have no comments xD mostly because I'm very lukewarm on her character wise. Mostly interesting to me because of her ties to the Black Workshop which if I remember is an Ourouboros thing and her ties to the Ironbloods.

As for my choice of Bonding events, I choose those that unlock character notes *DPO, depressing platinum obsession*
    Millium may not have the depth of Fie and Jusis, but I just find her entertaining and love her because of that. As for Jusis and Fie, they were my favorites in the first game as well and I did the same thing, so they have been consistently great across the board. As for the characters in CSI that had more time Alisa fell flat for the most part, and while I liked Eliot and Machias they just didn't stand out too much.

Overall the characters are still overall solid, but when I think about characters from the Sky games they just don't work quite as well. As for platinum obsession, sucks to hear about that. That's why especially for long games trophies and achievements suck because of how specific you have to do things. I never have Platinum trails games or persona games, because as much as I love them I feel trying to do that would ruin the experience for me somewhat.

As for platinum obsession, sucks to hear about that. That's why especially for long games trophies and achievements suck because of how specific you have to do things. I never have Platinum trails games or persona games, because as much as I love them I feel trying to do that would ruin the experience for me somewhat.
    Don't take it too seriously it's one of the things I like to jab about. While yes there is some psychological compulsion in this, it's not like I absolutely hate it either, since I think of them as a badge of honor for all the games I truly loved(well aside from games where the plat is kind of a freeby can't control that) and especially for JRPGs they tend to make you experience everything a game has to offer.

But it does make you think about trophy design how that can definitely have influence on gaming experiences and how design and those things can relate to/influence another.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Just freed Alisa's mom. I was kind of meh about her and Alisa but somehow I'm enjoying their relationship.
    Also Angelica, what a goddamn boss. Although I called it the first time I saw her again.
    Spoiler:
    in the church disguised. Love her dad too, that family is hilarious. I liked that they resolved their family issues with a mech battle. On a different note on the whole Civil War thing, it really feels like we're not experiencing the direness of it. It's been relatively rainbows for a war in east erebonia. Guess the cruel shit is more in the west.

Also I really get the feeling hard that falcom is trying to push Alisa as the canon romance.
    Last edited by DarthAsthma; December 2nd, 2016 at 12:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthAsthma View Post
    Don't take it too seriously it's one of the things I like to jab about. While yes there is some psychological compulsion in this, it's not like I absolutely hate it either, since I think of them as a badge of honor for all the games I truly loved(well aside from games where the plat is kind of a freeby can't control that) and especially for JRPGs they tend to make you experience everything a game has to offer.

But it does make you think about trophy design how that can definitely have influence on gaming experiences and how design and those things can relate to/influence another.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Just freed Alisa's mom. I was kind of meh about her and Alisa but somehow I'm enjoying their relationship.
    Also Angelica, what a goddamn boss. Although I called it the first time I saw her again.
    Spoiler:
    in the church disguised. Love her dad too, that family is hilarious. I liked that they resolved their family issues with a mech battle. On a different note on the whole Civil War thing, it really feels like we're not experiencing the direness of it. It's been relatively rainbows for a war in east erebonia. Guess the cruel shit is more in the west.

Also I really get the feeling hard that falcom is trying to push Alisa as the canon romance.
    Is it that you like it, or you can't come to admit that you have a problem?

As for the spoilered part.

Spoiler:
    Angie is just a fun character all around, and having her fight in a nun outfit, especially when she did her Dragon Kick move was just fantastic. The mech battle between her and her father was good. If there was one thing that at that point in the game that got to me is how easy the mech battles are. There was only one battle that pushed me and I may have lost once, but it was an optional battle. The story mech battles are all pretty easy, but they are epic non the less.

Something I've been meaning to ask, any characters you keep in your party at all times? Especially once I made my broken party I kept Fie, Laura, and Emma with me at all times.

Actually almost the same Laura, Emma, Alisa. I switch Fie with Rean into the support slot sometimes if I need something tanked because 100% evasion.
    As for Alisa I like her because she can keep the CP going. So spamming as craft for easy battles is relatively easy.
    Emma is just amazing for non scraft dmg.

Also Rean runs as a Canceller in my team pretty hilarious given that he can make enemies that are no immune to delay have almost 0 turns.

Fie was my canceller and delay person. Buffing her speed and ability to do that, she could usually attack three to four times before any enemy, which at that point she would have delayed them. Add in her various craft abilities I could easily delay/cancel all enemy attacks.

Emma indeed can do amazing damage with her crafts. Later you can get special crafts from beating those big enemies that are in certain areas (crytalists or whatever those creatures were called). Have her use that craft with a certain orbment you can do massive damage to one enemy. As for other characters I had Jusis because he could buff a number of stats with one craft, and I want to say Alisa was the other one as well.

I like Jusis as well as a support tank with his Platinum Shield and Noble Command.
    The Suikoden vibes are fucking strong in chapter 2. I just dig it a lot especially the little gameplay additions you unlock it gives each recruitment that much more impact. Also so much shipping going on with the side characters. Doing the shrines currently it's the rpg trope section. So my reaction is kind of been there done that, but whatever the carrot of the reward for Valimar does motivate.

Spoiler:
    On a different note gotta hand it to Olivier that guy's such a goof in sky but cold steel really shows/continues his genius.
    I think class 7 and even the reformation of Thors to some extent is him instilling bracer values into a new generation that is much more ingrained into Erebonia. Given that the guild itself was being rendered largely powerless by the chancellors politics it's kind of a smart in the sense that Thors is immune to some extent to that stuff. They can't be viewed as outsiders like the Bracers and the school is so entrenched and prestigous within the Empire that it really does carry a certain influence.
    Last edited by DarthAsthma; December 4th, 2016 at 05:47 PM.

Took the day to beat this. Sleep deprived and happy but I have to gather my thoughts .
    I have mixed feelings on the ending. Not that I thinks it's bad but more like "FAAAAAAAAAAAAALCOOOOOOOOM why you love to tease us soooo much"????!
    SEN3 right now pls.

A few immediate reactions:
    Spoiler:

The good:
    - Combat gameplay, I think on this point I rate CS higher than the Sky games. I just love the higher flexibility and leveling Master Quartz feels really satisfying + their extra effects are fun. It's just awesome to figure out configurations that just straight up break the game like 100% avoidance tanks, super Canceller, Laura S Craft Ragnarok, Emma... no words.

- I really liked the last dungeon, not because it was greatly designed more like I just liked to have the chance to farm for broken quartz. I got 2 additional dominions during my time in it. I mention this because one of the things I appreciate in Trails is their chests feel overall really rewarding. Getting Quartz that are op feels good. So many other games you open a chest and get some trash consumable. Trails gives you power and it feels exciting.

- The villains/antagonists. Cold Steel II introduced some of the most insane and instantly memorable villains in the series. Goddamn McBurn you really get a sense on what a friggin monster that dude is. Something the Sky games didn't quite to as well. I mean I've caught myself thinking, wait Leonhardt was that friggin op???? Duvalie is just hilarious, she remind me of the maid that's the head of the Laura fan club. Those two should actually meet for a fandom duel. Crow, I think there are people that might feel otherwise but I kind liked what was going on there. Crow was so nonchalant for an antagonist and retained his go with the flow but still couldn't budge from his position because of old debts it was kind cool to have a villain that in a way was cheering for you.

- Guest characters, I just thought it was really cool to get to play with so many. Only thing that was kind of lost because of that is that it muddied the waters on power levels. I feel like the game treated Sara still like one of its legends, same for some of the other ones, but really wasn't the case gameplay wise.

- Bigger than life characters. This goes for the Cold Steel saga in general. They're overusing the I haven't given my full effort trope a bit. But still I just love it, the feeling that you're not the hottest shit on the block. It's surprising how few games give you that feeling. That Arseid vs McBurn moment just fucking amazing. Or Neidthart and Vanders!

The kind of bad:

- There is a civil war going on and I really did not feel that at all. Dunno east erebonia felt like the safe for teens version of what a civil war probably would be. The stakes didn't always feel like they were there.

- Rean, I was kind of hoping that CSII would kind of do something with his character but in the end it felt like another setup game. What a friggin tease, just when he got interesting, too. I was kind of loving the conflict that was beginning to build right at the end where he has to reevaluate his own position from a political stand point vs the power he has vs his family connections. + I was hoping for his super mode to be more of a story point.

- All the game system related problems I already mentioned. My least favorite thing about Cold Steel is that it partly feels like a less self assured game chasing trends it didn't need to. Most of these trends feel like a detriment rather than a + to me personally.
    Last edited by DarthAsthma; December 6th, 2016 at 01:17 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information