+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 193

Thread: Trails in the Sky

  1. #41

    Default Re: Trails in the Sky

    Quote Originally Posted by The Franky Tank View Post
    I think I see what list you are on. I think you'll really like Desert of Despair. Smashing through the Mountain Path is another one I like as well. Some of my favorite ones are way later on the list though. I'd be interested to know your favorites once you get through.
    Totally forgot to report back, hard to say which is my favorite all of them are really good. I think the one that really stuck with me after my first hearing is "smashing though the mountain path".

  2. #42

    Default Re: Trails in the Sky

    Finally, tomorrow Trails of Cold Steel II comes out. Been looking forward to this since I beat the first one and looking forward to seeing how everything goes down. Thankfully the wait for this wasn't nearly as long as Trails in the Sky SC. Perhaps this time I will actually take more time to talk to the NPCs and whenever I go back to Cold Steel I then I can talk to them some more again.

    Found this video yesterday with an interesting look about the world of the games and how well it does it. Talked about some ideas I didn't think about before with the series that really shows one of the reason I like these games so much. Can't say anything about how it fares to most of the other games he talks about, since I haven't played them.

    WARNING!!! While he doesn't talk about any spoilers, some of the footage contains extreme spoilers for Trails of Cold Steel I and may contain some minor stuff for Trails in the Sky (Also shows a small scene of Cold Steel II). If you haven't played the games you can listen to get an idea of what he is talking about, but don't watch the video if you want to avoid spoilers.


  3. #43

    Default Re: Trails in the Sky

    Yes the deeper you dive into trails the more you get out of it. The first time I played FC I didn't know and didn't really bother with NPC.
    Also EU is November 11th :( worst decision ever to download it from the psn store given the save import restriction. That said persona 5 is like next week so I'm not that heartbroken.

  4. #44

    Default Re: Trails in the Sky

    Quote Originally Posted by DarthAsthma View Post
    Yes the deeper you dive into trails the more you get out of it. The first time I played FC I didn't know and didn't really bother with NPC.
    Also EU is November 11th :( worst decision ever to download it from the psn store given the save import restriction. That said persona 5 is like next week so I'm not that heartbroken.
    I've started my 4th play through of FC and the amount of detail in the world is just insane. That and how well it builds up stuff for this game and SC is insane as well. Also can really appreciate the character growth of Estelle seeing where she started out. I could make essays on so many aspects of this game.

    I'm jealous that you get to play Persona 5 so soon, but that's the advantage of knowing Japanese. I got this and with SMT IV apocalypse coming out soon, I'll be good until Persona 5 gets released here in the states.

  5. #45

    Default Re: Trails in the Sky

    I'm over 20 hours into the game and loving it so far. Won't go into details but just some general non-spoiler thoughts. I gave the first Cold Steel game a harder time because it didn't seem as tight story wise and character wise compared to the first Sky game, and I still hold that feeling. However, I feel like the story goes much smoother and feels more organic in this one compared to the second Sky game, at least as far as the first bunch of parts are concerned. I do like how with some references to the Sky games and other stuff it really starts giving me the feeling of how vast this world is and their attention to detail.

    One other thing to note is it feels much easier to go and talk to townspeople in this game compared to the Sky games. In the Sky games it felt like the townspeople dialogue changed at least 5 times each chapter, making it hard to keep me motivated. I think the most one town had dialogue change was maybe three times, and the towns are generally small enough that it doesn't take forever.

    Really hope that after the third Sky game comes out they announce the other ones, cause I know I'll need something to hold me until the third Cold Steel game comes out.

  6. #46

    Default Re: Trails in the Sky

    I've really been regretting getting cold steel I on the psn the last few weeks(because of the whole region save carry over issues).
    Another 2 weeks until I get to play it.... and only 1 week between that and Pokemon Moon.
    Definitely should crunch on student work until then so I have more time to binge game :/.

  7. #47

    Default Re: Trails in the Sky

    Just picked up Trails of Cold Steel for PS3 and Vita together for pretty cheap. Do I have to play Trails in the Sky at all beforehand?
    Oh hey, I do videos on figures and manga and stuff: https://www.youtube.com/thatmanhismerch

  8. #48
    I Like Video Game Music hosemisnuba's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    United States

    Default Re: Trails in the Sky

    I'm not familiar with the Legend of Heroes series outside of the music, but man they got good soundtracks (I listened to them a few weeks ago). Speaking of which, the ones that stand out poignantly to me are Trails in the Sky SC, Trails in the Sky TC (which isn't released in American, right?), Trails of Cold Steel, and Trails of Cold Steels 2. The middle two probably have the best of the four.

  9. #49

    Default Re: Trails in the Sky

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyber-Robin View Post
    Just picked up Trails of Cold Steel for PS3 and Vita together for pretty cheap. Do I have to play Trails in the Sky at all beforehand?
    Nope Cold Steel and Sky tell stories about different events with almost entirely different characters. The world is the same though.
    And you can develop a rather unique view on the trails games depending in which order you play each series(Cold Steel, Sky and the yet untranslated Azure) or so I'm told.

    That said I think Cold Steel has been for me the weakest of all the games and is really clumsy about its characters in favor of adopting a persona esque relation ship system. Also the start can be somewhat jarring cause all the characters start as anime tropes and it takes time for them to diverge from that to become something more interesting. It's still a somewhat cool game mostly because I enjoy the combat improvements.
    Be ready for lots of fluff/slice of life story moments though Cold Steel I is mostly setup for Cold Steel II.
    If you enjoy Cold Steel though absolutely get Sky. It has one of my favorite female protagonists(heck probably characters in general) in recent years.

    Huh read more negative that I kind of intended. As someone already invested in the trails world I still liked Cold Steel quite a bit personally.

    Also if I can give one tip, speak to NPC regularly unless it absolutely ruins your enjoyment because you find it too annoying. But the series is really known for really good npcs with fun ministories around them that evolve throughout the game and getting into that part does raise the appreciation for how much love goes into their worldbuilding quite a bit.


    Quote Originally Posted by hosemisnuba View Post
    I'm not familiar with the Legend of Heroes series outside of the music, but man they got good soundtracks (I listened to them a few weeks ago). Speaking of which, the ones that stand out poignantly to me are Trails in the Sky SC, Trails in the Sky TC (which isn't released in American, right?), Trails of Cold Steel, and Trails of Cold Steels 2. The middle two probably have the best of the four.
    Yep music is pretty good, also check out the music from the Ys series which comes from the same company.
    TC is announced for next year.
    Last edited by DarthAsthma; October 31st, 2016 at 11:36 AM.

  10. #50

    Default Re: Trails in the Sky

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyber-Robin View Post
    Just picked up Trails of Cold Steel for PS3 and Vita together for pretty cheap. Do I have to play Trails in the Sky at all beforehand?
    You don't have to play Trails in the Sky to understand Cold Steel's story. However, playing Cold Steel will spoil some stuff from the Trails in the Sky game, some pretty minor but a few I would consider major for Trails in the sky. If you don't mind waiting you can pick up the two Sky games cheap when the big Steam sale happens then play those.

    Quote Originally Posted by hosemisnuba View Post
    I'm not familiar with the Legend of Heroes series outside of the music, but man they got good soundtracks (I listened to them a few weeks ago). Speaking of which, the ones that stand out poignantly to me are Trails in the Sky SC, Trails in the Sky TC (which isn't released in American, right?), Trails of Cold Steel, and Trails of Cold Steels 2. The middle two probably have the best of the four.
    TC will be released in the States sometime next year.

    Yeah, the soundtracks are awesome and really heighten a number of the scenes in the game.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Quote Originally Posted by DarthAsthma View Post

    That said I think Cold Steel has been for me the weakest of all the games and is really clumsy about its characters in favor of adopting a persona esque relation ship system. Also the start can be somewhat jarring cause all the characters start as anime tropes and it takes time for them to diverge from that to become something more interesting. It's still a somewhat cool game mostly because I enjoy the combat improvements.
    Be ready for lots of fluff/slice of life story moments though Cold Steel I is mostly setup for Cold Steel II.

    If you enjoy Cold Steel though absolutely get Sky. It has one of my favorite female protagonists(heck probably characters in general) in recent years.
    Looks like I got ninja'd.

    Agree with you on Cold Steel being the weakest. They start out not so great but over the game I came to like a number of them. That said, the Personaesque system hurts in the long run because the characters are weaker overall even after being a part of their story line. All the characters in Sky are memorable to me, but the only two that really stood out in the Steel games are Jusis and Fie.

    As for Estelle, she is just my favorite protagonist of all time. She is not just lovable, but the growth she goes through the two games is just amazing and really stands out from other games. If anyone ever asks what a good character entails in any kind of medium, I would point to her.

  11. #51

    Default Re: Trails in the Sky

    So yeah I started it and honestly.... I'm absolutely loving it. It has a slow burn to it initially but I'm really into it now. (even if I'm only a few hours in. Just beat the Lord of the Forest in the first assignment) the music is great, the characters are already enjoyable (and the prospect of them being so much more interesting) and the cosplayer inside me is already getting excited at the character designs.
    Oh hey, I do videos on figures and manga and stuff: https://www.youtube.com/thatmanhismerch

  12. #52

    Default Re: Trails in the Sky

    Glad you are enjoying the game. I would be interested in hearing your thoughts as you go through the game, if your time permits it. The game takes a little time before you get freedom to do stuff, but once that starts it's fun to run around and explore and do stuff at your own pace. First time playing you may not realize it, but the game even at the beginning does a great job at setting up the world, characters, and future story stuff (whether it be the Sky games or stuff that doesn't get more mention until the Steel games). As for characters, if you love Estelle already you'll only come to love her more as time goes on.

  13. #53

    Default Re: Trails in the Sky

    Quote Originally Posted by The Franky Tank View Post
    Glad you are enjoying the game. I would be interested in hearing your thoughts as you go through the game, if your time permits it. The game takes a little time before you get freedom to do stuff, but once that starts it's fun to run around and explore and do stuff at your own pace. First time playing you may not realize it, but the game even at the beginning does a great job at setting up the world, characters, and future story stuff (whether it be the Sky games or stuff that doesn't get more mention until the Steel games). As for characters, if you love Estelle already you'll only come to love her more as time goes on.
    I think Cyber is playing Cold Steel?

    My copy of Cold Steel II arrives tomorrow :-x delayed it for myself because I had so much shit to do but the weekend is mine muahahaha

  14. #54

    Default Re: Trails in the Sky

    Quote Originally Posted by DarthAsthma View Post
    I think Cyber is playing Cold Steel?

    My copy of Cold Steel II arrives tomorrow :-x delayed it for myself because I had so much shit to do but the weekend is mine muahahaha
    If that is the case then my mistake. Either way Cyber will come to love the game even more as time goes on.

    Look forward to hearing your thoughts on that game. It's been brutal having no one to talk to about that game.

  15. #55

    Default Re: Trails in the Sky

    Quote Originally Posted by The Franky Tank View Post
    If that is the case then my mistake. Either way Cyber will come to love the game even more as time goes on.

    Look forward to hearing your thoughts on that game. It's been brutal having no one to talk to about that game.
    Srsly can't wait, how long was your first playthrough? Pokemon Moon is going to arrive shortly after that. x_X

  16. #56

    Default Re: Trails in the Sky

    Quote Originally Posted by DarthAsthma View Post
    Srsly can't wait, how long was your first playthrough? Pokemon Moon is going to arrive shortly after that. x_X
    It was about 70 hours, and that was talking to the townspeople after each event and doing as many of the side quests that I could (apparently missed one to three quests because I was three points away from getting the highest rank). It probably went a bit faster because I broke the game, where I got Laura to do over 70k damage with her S-craft and Emma could do the same amount with a special art you can obtain.

  17. #57

    Default Re: Trails in the Sky

    Made it to Xeno and Leo lots of revisiting places normally that would annoy me but in trails it means catching up with all the NPCs which is always a fun time. Xeno and Leo fight for the bonus AP is pretty tough(normal). Not quite sure how to manage. Probably have to throw the fight 2 times to get them easy enough don't seem to have the dmg otherwise.
    Last edited by DarthAsthma; November 18th, 2016 at 03:14 PM.

  18. #58

    Default Re: Trails in the Sky

    I didn't realize you could beat them. They slaughtered me so quickly that I could never recover, and when they beat you the story continues on so I assumed it was like fighting Loewe in Sky FC. That probably explains why I missed a few points. Question about how you felt in the chapter.

    Spoiler:
    What was your reaction to the reunion? I got a little teary eyed with Machias and Elliot, but I liked the Fie reunion more, mainly because she's by far one of the best characters when it came to class 7. Also, a lot of the characters that are introduced in this game are great, with Xeno and Leo being pretty great along with some others.

  19. #59

    Default Re: Trails in the Sky

    Quote Originally Posted by The Franky Tank View Post
    I didn't realize you could beat them. They slaughtered me so quickly that I could never recover, and when they beat you the story continues on so I assumed it was like fighting Loewe in Sky FC. That probably explains why I missed a few points. Question about how you felt in the chapter.

    Spoiler:
    What was your reaction to the reunion? I got a little teary eyed with Machias and Elliot, but I liked the Fie reunion more, mainly because she's by far one of the best characters when it came to class 7. Also, a lot of the characters that are introduced in this game are great, with Xeno and Leo being pretty great along with some others.
    You can't beat them the fight just stops. The AP condition though is downing one of them to 30% which is about 60000 dmg you have to deal and all that in 40 rounds. Wasn't really doable for me, did sack the fight 2 times which lowers the requirement to about ~45k(plus them doing less dmg too so your buff rotations don't get fucked up with having to rezz someone) which was manageable.

    Spoiler:

    Liked the reunion. Weirdly though meeting NPCs(Celdic) again resonated stronger. I think just because some of them you really haven't seen a long time. Class 7 in general even now just didn't feel like I was away from any of them that long. Even from the ones I still have to meet. So in a way because you're so close to them being apart feels less of a big deal.

  20. #60

    Default Re: Trails in the Sky

    Didn't realize there was a way to make the fight easier. Ah well, I never have gotten the highest rank in my first play through in any of these games, so it doesn't bother me too much.

    Spoiler:
    It just doesn't have as much of an impact because as a player we weren't away from them that long. One Piece the reunion was strong because there were two whole arcs without the crew together. In this game it's what, 2-4 hours before you meet up again with some of the class? Add in the fact that only a few of them stood out as characters it doesn't work as well. Thinking about it now the NPCs in this game feel much better done compared to the others, so it actually made me want to go speak to them all the time and find out what was happening with them. Now I have to play the first game again to get some background of the stories that happen in this game.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts