+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10

Thread: Trails in the Sky

Default Re: Trails in the Sky

Anyone that does have a twitter and wants to do a little nudge of giving trails possibly more exposure(and thus ever so slightly raising the chances for crossbell) tweet at https://twitter.com/BenMoore035 that you'd love for EZA to review Trails in the Sky FC. I've been trying to get him to slowly review them for a while and this is where I'm at with it now
    https://youtu.be/30coL4e70d4?t=2h36m48s
    https://youtu.be/30coL4e70d4?t=2h39m18s
    Both links are timestamped to me poking at him regarding a possible trails review. To me it sounds like all he needs is a little nudge of a few more people showing demand.

So the Steam page for Cold Steel is up.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/538680/The_Legend_of_Heroes_Trails_of_Cold_Steel/

Will be coming out sometime July, and I look forward to my replay of it. It may still be the weakest of all the Heroes games I played, but it's still pretty good. I can't wait to use Fie again!

Edit.

I can't even try to find a good Fie picture using google without having screen shots of CS III pop up.
    Last edited by The Franky Tank; June 29th, 2017 at 05:49 PM.

All of old class 7 is revealed now in the newest dengeki. So better stay off the net with anything trails if one cares at all.

Bumping partly to remind those who were interested that Cold Steel I has been released since yesterday. Plays pretty well from my time in it, though there has been problems with cut scenes being partially blurry from time to time. There may be fixes to that, but it's nothing terrible that renders it unplayable.

Now that I am about to get into the meat of chapter 1, there are some things I feel like I need to vent about. I'll put my thoughts in spoilers, but they are minor and happen in the first few hours, so unless you want to go in completely blind it shouldn't be problem for you to read.

Spoiler:
    Ok, I didn't think about it too much the first time around, but I really feel like the whole first sequence of here's something that happens, but let's cut to a certain amount of time earlier, is unnecessary. Games have worked this kind of thing in the past well before, but going through it again it feels like a lazy way to get you invested right away. If it was just a few minutes that would be fine, but it's not exactly short. Might seem like a petty complaint, but it's something that on a second play through just bothered me a little. As a veteran player of the series, it's easy to get through, but if this is a persons first time into the series, they throw a lot on you then take away a lot by going back in time. Then again, knowing the events of the game ahead of time, the scene won't hook me in knowing what happens after already

So the big thing for me about the Cold Steel games is the characters, and I have to admit, the prologue does good on introducing them. You get introduced to nine characters and in a short amount of time you do get an idea of their personality, how they interact with others, and for some moments to look forward to for certain character growth. Also, knowing what each one goes through in CSI and II makes these early moments stand out a bit more in some respects. That being said, most of them don't really stand out, and takes some time before you can really get attached to them. I'm excited to see them again, but that's from over 120 hours between two games getting to know them, and for a first time player they don't have that. There's also the thing that happens between Alissa and Rean that I just don't care for, and while it makes sense why the things happen, the catalyst for everything going down is just cliché.

Now for the big thing to vent about, and that is Rean. So before going into this, Rean is by no means a bad character. We get introduced early on to some things about him and we know what kind of character he is, and the growth that is expected from him in future. The problem is that it's just hard to really get behind him. He's basically a nice guy, willing to help out others while trying to find out his role in the world. Simple, and can be effective. However, his mood and demeanor is pretty much the same most of the time. He stays calm and never really shows much emotion outside of being calm or at times being a bit anxious by not knowing what to say or do. Once again, not a problem but with limited emotional range and being overall bland, it's hard to get attached to him emotionally and invest in any character arc he will go through. This can be even harder when comparing him to Estelle or Kevin from the Sky games. Estelle in the first few hours showed range in emotion and was very charming. Heck, in the first scene I was instantly attached to her. Kevin was much the same, where you liked him pretty quickly, and the way he interacted with others and his demeanor was charming. Rean lacks what made those two charming, and this becomes a problem with the idea that he is supposed to be the person that keeps the class together. Add in the fact that we are kind of hit on the head a bit with the idea he is supposed to be the central figure and having had little interaction with most of the class, it's all a little jarring.

Cold Steel is by no means a bad game, in fact it's quite an excellent game. Characters are well written, story is paced well, and for those having played the Sky games, it continues doing well building on the world and making connections from the Sky games. It's just hard at times with some things because after the trilogy of Sky games and the high bar they set, when Cold Steel doesn't quite live up to some standards it's a little disappointing.

Through two-and-a-half chapters of Cold Steel I, and, eh, I feel like I'm just going to leave it there. Characters are appealing, world is creative and fleshes out nicely, presentation is charming if a little cliche...

But man, gameplay is soooooo middle-of-the-pack. Especially with the ability to use turbo in the PC version, the fights are 90% "craft>craft>craft>attack>attack>attack" with no real strategy or thought. The other 10% are random boss fights that are about 10x more difficult than anything else, so they actually require a bit of thought, but they can still be brute-forced pretty easily. And while it's great that it has all the quick-travel and progression of bit stories, there's still just a ton of extra effort required to get the full effect of what's going on. Respect the game, but the relative amount of time spent on the game to what I'm getting out of it isn't working out.

Quote Originally Posted by tatermoog View Post
    Through two-and-a-half chapters of Cold Steel I, and, eh, I feel like I'm just going to leave it there. Characters are appealing, world is creative and fleshes out nicely, presentation is charming if a little cliche...

But man, gameplay is soooooo middle-of-the-pack. Especially with the ability to use turbo in the PC version, the fights are 90% "craft>craft>craft>attack>attack>attack" with no real strategy or thought. The other 10% are random boss fights that are about 10x more difficult than anything else, so they actually require a bit of thought, but they can still be brute-forced pretty easily. And while it's great that it has all the quick-travel and progression of bit stories, there's still just a ton of extra effort required to get the full effect of what's going on. Respect the game, but the relative amount of time spent on the game to what I'm getting out of it isn't working out.
    Well, you gave the game a fair shot. In the long run, I like the fact that only bosses require most of the effort, but Cold Steel can be broken faster and most encounters are pretty easy. Heck, second time through since I made sure to keep upgrading the orbments and everything, I was surprised how much an easier time I had compared to my first play through. Bosses that took me a lot of strategy the first time were push overs. But yeah, compared to other JRPG's, I will eventually get to the point that I want to rush through the battles for the story bits. Persona 5 has set the bar for great turned based combat, and these games definitely don't reach those heights.

As for the story, it really does take time and if you don't have some kind of reason to go forward, it is not a game you will want to go forward with. Honestly, my first time through this game I didn't get grabbed for a long time, not until about the halfway point. The only reason I was able to keep going was my attachment to the Sky games which I had played prior, and how a few events in those games started a bit of build up for what might happen in the Cold Steel games (and one of my favorite characters would have some kind of appearance at some point). Only after playing the two CS games could a appreciate some of the early game stuff in my second play through. That, and despite how many people elsewhere have explained it to me, Rean is still an extremely boring protagonist to me, and the only party members that really stood out to me were Fie, Jusis, and Gaius.

Point about the party members is interesting. I was thinking about the fact that I was fine with all the characters (well, except Machias), but yeah, none of them really stand out in any meaningful way. Like, even Fie and Jusis are interesting within fairly traditional boundaries.

I have no issues with generic pleasantness from the protagonist and characters--I love Tales of Xillia--but Rean does push it a bit far.

Entirely possible I'll get bored in a few days and pop back in to it, but at the moment, I'm not seeing it.

I was interested in Fie's character early on, and love how she over time opens up more and while still overall quiet, her jabs and overall demeanor made her charming. Jusis's arc I liked overall as well. Gaius I just like being the more chilled guy. The rest just didn't feel very noteworthy, and takes till late in the game to get any more of their little backstory. As a group I feel a bit more strongly, but individually most of them are just uninteresting. Machias was definitely one who took a long time for me to even just accept, because a few of his lines and actions made him unlikable.

As for Rean, I have a hard time nailing down why I just don't care for him. A huge part of it comes from how much I loved Estelle as a protagonist from the Sky games, and in comparison Rean just does not remotely compare. Still, even when I don't try to compare, his character just feels so dry. I understand he's supposed to be learning about what he wants to do in life, but it feels like he's not really taking any initiative himself and the game just pushes things on him to try and make his character move forward, but it feels like he just coasts forward with pretty much no development. I don't expect huge developments, because Estelle didn't have a complex character arc, but I wanted something to grasp which I felt never came.

There are other issues I have with the game, but I really feel like the playable characters were lacking a lot in development, which pushing all of them at the beginning of the game makes it hard to give each one room to grow on you. Also, There's that thing early on with Alissa that soured the early game for me. I spent from that point until the first trip bemoaning how stupid that event was and that they could've done something else.

It's been over a year since anything has been posted here.

Well Cold Steel III was officially announced, and is currently slated for this fall.

https://www.rpgsite.net/news/8185-ni...-playstation-4

I am disappointed that XSEED is not localizing it since they did it in the past and NISA has a track record of fumbling translations, which this game absolutely needs a top quality translation. That said, NISA will be announcing tomorrow who will be helping with it from those who worked on it in the past. In the end, I look forward to finally playing this game and the next one hopefully next year.

Both Crossbell games are coming out in English! And even better yet NIS America is using the fan translation for the official release! Means now I can get all the games officially!

Here's the link:
    https://geofront.esterior.net/2021/0...h-nis-america/

Were any of the Trails games announced new offshoots or are they all existing and now-localized?

Either way, very cool news for Trails fans.

Two of them (Zero and Azure) were old games that never got an official translation but now they are! Those are the Crossbell games Starla was talking about.

One of them (Reverie) is just the newest game that's now getting translated

The last one(Natuya) is a spinoff that AFAIK has nothing to do with the main story.

Any chance they will announce the TitS trilogy for PS4 at some point? I notice that from the 4 games that have been announced to get localization, the first one to release is Trails to Zero in Fall 2022, leaving a huge empty space from the beginning of the year until then. Really want to get into this series and every time I ask about a good starting point, I always get the same answer: "Start from Sky FC and work your way up. Skip even one game and you'll be lost". So I've been holding out.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information