+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Trails in the Sky

Default Trails in the Sky

Giveaway is finished

Giveaway Details

Ok with Christmas coming up and the Steam Winter Sale going on I'm going to give away 1 steam copy of the second Trails in the Sky game(right now 18 but usually 27 bucks). There is a little condition though. I want to give the game to someone that falls in love with the series.

The way I'm going to judge it, this is basically a opt in for everyone that gets the first game on steam (it's only 8 bucks currently in the steam sale so if you want to opt in it's basically best to decide until the 2nd of January).
    After that I want the people that basically want to opt in just to share their impressions while playing through the first game.
    Depending on the number of people(I don't expect all that many) the game goes to the person that impresses the most while sharing their own journey through the game/the first one to finish the game.

I expect there are probably going to be ways to cheat this by watching LPs or what not but I hope people going to respect my wish that this copy goes to someone that actually wants to play the game.

Right now the deadline is a month, but I'm also okay with extending it. Should nobody participate I'm going to give the game away through other channels.

Anyone that wants to participate just drop a post in this very thread indicating so.

-----------------------------------------------------------
    Feelings on the game from 4 years ago
    :

Just finished the game and well it was pretty damn good. This game makes me just scratch my head thinking about how many good psp jrpgs I've missed.
    It's a really well rounded solid jrpg with a really fun battle system and a heartwarming and charming story (that said I'll admit that it's probably not winning a price for originality but pacing and execution were excellent).
    It seems the status of bringing the second and third over is still hinging since it seems to have gone a bit under.

So vita and psp owners if you'd like something to play on your system I really recommend to get this from the psn store, it maybe isn't the best jrpg ever but it's a damn shame to miss out on this one. Especially in a time when good jrpgs are somewhat harder to come by compared to the ps2 era.
    Last edited by DarthAsthma; February 16th, 2017 at 02:45 PM.

Default Re: Trails in the Sky

I thought I was the only one who played this.

I'm on chapter 3, loving it so far but real life keeping me from devoting a lot of time to it recently.

Quote Originally Posted by YouthNinja View Post
    I thought I was the only one who played this.

I'm on chapter 3, loving it so far but real life keeping me from devoting a lot of time to it recently.
    You're pretty far in then. :) Yeah it's a fairly long game although it really isn't grindy. It's really mostly content.
    I believe if you do everything and just spent a modicum on grinding you'll get about 50 hours out of it if you breeze through it's probably about 30 hours.
    That said this game has somewhat a bit of a faible for backtracking. It's not excessive but noticable at some places.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Part 2 seems to also have an import function for your savefile things that are going to be taken into consideration are estelle's level up to 40, what sidequest you did, a special quartz if you got all bracer points and your bracer notebook.
    Last edited by DarthAsthma; September 6th, 2012 at 07:08 PM.

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/12/14...-ps3-and-vita/

yeah!
    Damn we're still missing out on the rest of the trails in the sky series and I still have to get to ao no kiseki.
    But damn that's a serious step up in presentation for falcom.

And to all the guys that have nothin on the vita to play seriously get this it's great!

XSeed, I am begging you, BEGGING you to bring this over. I will pay you cold hard cash for this game. You can have it. All of my money.

Boooyaaaaah f*** u Zestiria TitS:SC is coming next week on the 29th.
    It's been three damn years!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DarthAsthma View Post
    Boooyaaaaah f*** u Zestiria TitS:SC is coming next week on the 29th.
    It's been three damn years!!!!
    Wait, when did this happen. I thought XSeed was having lots of troubles, and that they were going to release Trails of Cold Steel first then Second Chapter after that.

http://www.rpgamer.com/news/Q4-2015/102415a.html

Well that's the second greatest thing I heard today. First JoJo part 4 anime announcement now this. Now I just got to wait till next year to play this game, or find a place on this island with decent internet and download this game. Now to spread the word and get people to play the first one if they haven't, as it is an awesome game that all JRPG fans need to play. Hoping Trails of Cold steel can be even remotely as good as this series of LoH games.

Earlier I finished the first game again on my computer, and started the second one. All I can say in the 40 minutes so far I've gone through is wow. It starts off strong taking place right after the first game. The intro giving you a taste of what to expect got me really hyped. But what really got me so far was.

Spoiler:
    First where Schera tells Cassius how horrible he was. That was an eye opener for him and I really liked the scene between him and Estelle back at the house. It was one of the only serious moments we've seen of him with Estelle, and it really got to me. The bigger one was where Estelle was hanging on to the slimmest of hope, and how as she goes through the house you can tell that reality is slowly crashing in on her. When she goes into Joshua's room and falls to the floor, I felt really bad for her. If this is what we are getting in the game, I really look forward to playing the rest.

Steam is having a sale on the first game right now for 10$ and I'm interested, as its loaded with positive reviews, but am made wary by the fact that apparently it was the first game of three.

Apparently the second game, SC, just came out this very week? (Which Franky Tank is playing.) And next month "Trails of Cold Steel" comes out? Which is also only a part one of two? On PS3 of all things?

Are there any stated plans to release the third chapter?
    Last edited by Robby; November 1st, 2015 at 01:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Steam is having a sale on the first game right now for 10$ and I'm interested, as its loaded with positive reviews, but am made wary by the fact that apparently it was the first game of three.

Apparently the second game, SC, just came out this very week? (Which Franky Tank is playing.) And next month "Trails of Cold Steel" comes out? Which is also only a part one of two? On PS3 of all things?

Are there any stated plans to release the third chapter?
    As far as Trails in the Sky is concerned, the second game finished the story that started in the first game. The third game is something that opens up a new plot that connects to games that came after that. As far as Trails of Cold Steel, Xseed stated you don't need to have played the Trails in the Sky games to understand Cold Steel. How true that is I don't quite know, as I have no idea what happened in the third game and Cold Steel hasn't come out yet. I can definitely say play the first game and see how you like it. If you love it then get the second game, as it will finish the story line and you shouldn't need to worry about playing the third game to wrap that plot line up.

As for the third game, there is no plans to release it at this time. I think Xseed is waiting to see how the other games sell before they decide on what to do. Factor in how hard it was for the second game to get out (it took about two years longer than expected), it's probably not going to happen, unless they release other games that require us to play the third one. Wish I could be more helpful, but I avoid looking this up so I don't get spoiled.

Well, I am alleviated somewhat to know that the second game wraps the story rather than ending on a cliffhanger or something. There's been a couple RPG trilogies over the years to suffer non-completion.

I'll probably get the first one while its on sale then... even if I still have to play several other games in the pile. All the positive reviews have me interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Well, I am alleviated somewhat to know that the second game wraps the story rather than ending on a cliffhanger or something. There's been a couple RPG trilogies over the years to suffer non-completion.

I'll probably get the first one while its on sale then... even if I still have to play several other games in the pile. All the positive reviews have me interested.
    Expect a somewhat traditional RPG with a slow start also maybe don't expect anything mind blowing story wise.
    Trails probably doesn't amaze/surprise RPG veterans a whole lot, but the game is generally just so solid all around.

I've had a hard time recommending this with success since the game really doesn't have that one great selling point.
    It really is that it's just good in the best way possible(well at least to me).

And yeah first game actually ends with a somewhat painful cliffhanger, the wait was pretty painful because at that point I was pretty invested in the characters and world. I considered actually switching to the Japanese version during the wait but I really liked the English translation and didn't want to change mid story also it would have been a real slog at that point since I wasn't that great at reading back then.

Hope this is successful enough to give them reason to bring the "Ao no Kiseki" story over as well. Just from playing the first game it really seems like a really cool series.

I'll start on SC as soon as I'm done with DQ8 despite having bravely second and legend of legacy waiting. Just to give an idea about how much I liked the first one.

I played through the first game on steam like a year ago. It was about as standard as JRPG's can get. There's nothing overly great that sticks out about the game, but there's nothing particularly aggravating about the game either. It sticks to what's expected and does it fairly well. I also don't recall encountering even a single bug or glitch despite playing on PC. If there was one disappointment, it was a lack of endgame stuff. The writing isn't mind blowing, but I thought it was above average. The way it all develops and fits together is pretty well thought out.

I'll pick up the 2nd game when it comes on sale. The series is good enough that I want to play it, but not so good that I want to spend $30 on a 9 year old game.

While I love the first game, I will admit it is lacking in aspects. The battle system is interesting, but the way the game goes you can half ass through the fights for the most part except for a few exceptions. The story is overall good, and I love the characters, but it is a build up game. That means that while you get a good story and you get character build up, it doesn't have any amazing moments. However, the beginning of the second game is quite intense just because of the end of the first, and things are already quite interesting once you get into the first chapter. Once I finish the second game, I might go into a more detailed analysis.

In the end, it's a solid game as the others have said. It can be a bit slow at first, where after the second chapter is where things pick up a little, but it's really the end of the third chapter and the final chapter where things get really interesting. Thankfully, the game is overall short for a JRPG.

Also Robby, make sure to check the treasure chests again after opening them.

After about 61 hours, I beat the second chapter. I'll have to go into a spoiled talk later, but for now I will give my impressions in a non-spoiler way.

First of all, this game hit all the right points for me. Like any game there are flaws, but the small things are nothing to everything that was great. If you really liked the first game, or loved it like me, then this does most things better, at least in my opinion. You get more of the characters but learn more about them as well as get more interaction among them. Because of how the first game worked, certain characters didn't interact with each other. In this game, everyone gets to have an interaction with someone in a certain form, whether big or small.

Certain side quests are the same, but there are some more standout ones. There's one where you have to go talk to people to solve a little mystery, which while nothing grand is a nice little quest. Some quests can bring out some personality into the world. There is one side quest where it actually gives some background to a minor character, a detail that really made me appreciate side quests more in this game. It was better when a number of quests were for people you did quests for in the first game, and them recognizing you added a nice touch.

Since the first game was a build-up for this one, the story gets kicking much faster. The first chapter is a bit of a bore, but isn't terribly long and once you get back together with some of the gang, things pick up pretty quickly. Going back to each area is great, as people remember you and events that happened there in the first game might've had an effect. With so many things going on, I got invested early on and there were certain things that I really wanted to see or learn.

The battle system is a little better with some tweaks. Most common fights are simple with bounty fights being a fair bit more difficult. Boss fights feel much more intense where unlike the first game on normal, there were a lot more fights where I had to be more careful and couldn't just half-ass it, especially the end game bosses. The best part is unlike the first game where you unlock all your slots before the half-way point, it's only by the end where you are maxing things out. This was nice because it felt like I was growing throughout the game, whereas the first game it felt like you hit a wall early on and never moved past it.

Music is still top notch with some new tracks for fights, which I liked better than the first game.

Now for the biggest thing which some of you may be wondering. As of completing the game, you tie up all the loose ends which the first game brought up. Estelle gets her story told and characters get their closure. However, there are some concepts introduced which while not pertinent to the story of this game, they are questions that you will have on your mind. These things are more about the entire world rather than the Kingdom of Liberl, so it's most likely something that will tie into the other games. There are some things brought up into the game which I think is hinting towards what the storyline of Cold Steel will be about, but nothing major that it had to be answered in this game. So all major plot points brought up in the first and this game are answered, and the story of Estelle is concluded, so you don't need to worry about a cliff hanger or plot that needs to be answered to finish the experience.

Hopefully that gives some ideas of what to expect. It might not be clear what I was talking about since I was trying to get the points across without using spoilers, but I definitely say this game was worth full price. For getting double the content (I beat the first game in 30 hours) and such a great story, it was worth every cent. Definitely a series of two games one should play.

Quote Originally Posted by The Franky Tank View Post
    You didn't happen to complete the monster guide?
    I've found some time to play and made it to chapter 2. Missing only boss entries for Ruan 2 but I have no idea where they could be.
    My guess is I return at some point for those entries? Can you confirm/deny that?

You didn't happen to complete the monster guide?
    I've found some time to play and made it to chapter 2. Missing only boss entries for Ruan 2 but I have no idea where they could be.
    My guess is I return at some point for those entries? Can you confirm/deny that?
    Spoiler:
    Yes, you return so no worries there.

Just finished the game. This was a really hard playthrough since I've been playing in between doing work on semester projects and trails is not the kind of game you can just take up again. So I found myself a lot of times having difficulties getting into it again. I think it was in chapter 4 when the game became really natural again. I still have to let it all sink it a bit but damn, it was really a nice ride.

I feel like what trails does really well is make you kind of care about the world(at least if you explore it to the fullest) so I actually kind of felt the stakes at the end. Looking forward to trails of steel currently not sure if I want to import or not.

Also everyone on the verge the first game is 8 bucks in the winter sale that's a steal for a solid classic kind of rpg experience.
    Last edited by DarthAsthma; December 26th, 2015 at 09:39 AM.

So did you get Trails of Cold Steel and if you did have you started it?

I just finished the game yesterday and while I'm still trying to sort my feelings on the game out, It was damn good. Some weak stuff here and there but some really strong stuff as well. Also, that was the longest epilogue I've ever experiences in a game (after beating the final boss there was about 2 hours of content still). I would talk more, but I don't want to spoil anything at the moment, but I definitely suggest people with a PS3 to play the game, especially if they liked Trails in the Sky.

Also, while it does have the school life aspect, a significant chunk of the game takes outside of the school, and the school tropes are at a minimum. Then again, I don't mind that setting so it doesn't bother me at all.

Quote Originally Posted by The Franky Tank View Post
    So did you get Trails of Cold Steel and if you did have you started it?

I just finished the game yesterday and while I'm still trying to sort my feelings on the game out, It was damn good. Some weak stuff here and there but some really strong stuff as well. Also, that was the longest epilogue I've ever experiences in a game (after beating the final boss there was about 2 hours of content still). I would talk more, but I don't want to spoil anything at the moment, but I definitely suggest people with a PS3 to play the game, especially if they liked Trails in the Sky.

Also, while it does have the school life aspect, a significant chunk of the game takes outside of the school, and the school tropes are at a minimum. Then again, I don't mind that setting so it doesn't bother me at all.
    Sadly I've been swamped with too much work(16 hour days wohooo) so I haven't had the time to think about what version to get xD much less playing anything. It's definitely high on my priority list when I get some free time again.
    I'm still on the hooked for Trails train. Happy to hear that Cold Steel seems to be still good despite most of what I've seen, but from what I've heard the anime tropes are just a jumping point and the characters do drift of in more interesting directions.

It's actually interesting when you look at Falcom games you notice that they do kind of chase the hottest anime trends a bit while still doing their own thing.
    From the early games being aesthetically strongly influenced by slayer to the newest moe blob style.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information