View Poll Results: who is the strongest now living char in OP?

Voters
431. You may not vote on this poll
  • Shanks

101 23.43%
  • Mihawk

9 2.09%
  • Kizaru

8 1.86%
  • Dragon

75 17.40%
  • Akainu

27 6.26%
  • Big Mom

3 0.70%
  • Kaido

42 9.74%
  • Kuzan

1 0.23%
  • the grosei

18 4.18%
  • Garp

7 1.62%
  • Sengoku

1 0.23%
  • Blackbeard

100 23.20%
  • Marco

6 1.39%
  • Kuma

4 0.93%
  • other

29 6.73%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 467 of 469 FirstFirst ... 367 417 457 465 466 467 468 469 LastLast
Results 9,321 to 9,340 of 9369

Thread: Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Mark II

Default Re: Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Mark II

Quote Originally Posted by kevo_koma View Post
    Is Blackbeard really evil?

Other than killing thatch.

What truly evil deed has he committed?
    *Walks into Impel Down level 6*

Blackbeard: "Alright folks, Battle Royale time. All prisoners in each cell block are now to kill each other for my amusement. The winners get to come with me to take over the world."

Welcome to Rokkenjima.

Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    He shows no honor, compassion or care towards others, thought. He seems to be a psychopath, lying, tricking and killing without any show of remorse or empathy.
    Hmm, but the same could be said about other characters that we don't consider evil.

After all, have we seen someone like Hancock, Cavendsih or Barto display the same traits outside their selfish desires?

Heck to an extreme, unless you feed Luffy or do something nice for him, will he really stick his neck out for you?

Eg; We saw Zoro react strongly to the CDs and their shitty attitude towards a random person. But its interesting that we never saw the same for Luffy. He only acted after his ally/friend was hurt.

So in this context how can we gauge Luffy's morality.

Have we ever seen him protect someone who hadn't done something for him prior??

Lol, seriously, now that I think about it. In the whole story, Luffy has never protected someone who didn't help him out first.

Correct me if I am wrong/

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by otakufan View Post
    *Walks into Impel Down level 6*

Blackbeard: "Alright folks, Battle Royale time. All prisoners in each cell block are now to kill each other for my amusement. The winners get to come with me to take over the world."
    Yes, he said this to some of the most heinous criminals in the One Piece world.

Not actions of an evil dude.

In fact, compared to our hero who would have released all those evil people just to save his brother, his actions are more moral than Luffy's
    HOW COME LUFFY NEVER KILLS AN ENEMY?
    ODA:ITS BECAUSE IN THAT ERA EVERYONE USES THEIR LIVES TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS. FOR AN ENEMY WHEN THEIR DREAM HAS BEEN SHATTERED,IT IS AS PAINFUL AS DEATH,I BELIEVE FOR A PIRATE NOT TO KILL AN ENEMY , IT'S GIVING THEM A SECOND CHANCE TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS.

After all, have we seen someone like Hancock, Cavendsih or Barto display the same traits outside their selfish desires?
    Not to the same extent. Hancock, Cavendish and Barto can be pretty cruel towards enemies, but they have honor and empathy. Barto saved Bellamy, Cavendish showed compassion towards Rebecca. Hancock is a different case in that she willingly built a facade of psychopathy to protect herself from her traumas, but she still worries about others, even if she rarely demonstrates it.

Blackbeard is a true psychopath. He has no morality. He's the opposite of Hancock: he will pretend to have honor and empathy, but his true self does not care. When the above characters are cruel, it's their external demeanor. Inside, they can be nice people once you earn their trust. Blackbeard is the complete opposite: he may seen nice outward, but inside he's a big SoB ready to betray anyone whenever he feels like it.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

Default Re: chopper's forms

Asking his crew to go on a hunt for Devil Fruit users, kill them and steal their abilities for themselves is pretty evil in my book

Yes, he said this to some of the most heinous criminals in the One Piece world.

Not actions of an evil dude.

In fact, compared to our hero who would have released all those evil people just to save his brother, his actions are more moral than Luffy's
    Yeah, hard disagree. If you want to argue that Luffy, the Strawhats, and many of the supporting cast aren't as "good" as they tend to be portrayed, that's one thing, but Blackbeard is another matter entirely.

Murdering Thatch was evil, full stop. If he wanted the Devil Fruit Thatch had found, he could have tried talking to him about it or even simply stealing the fruit before resorting to murder.

Pillaging Drum Kingdom can be written off as simply "Pirate Behavior" used to start building a name for himself, but it's still distinctly on the darker end of the spectrum.

Given his plan to join the Shichibukai, his hunt for a 100,000,000+ bounty isn't inherently "evil" in and of itself, but he had to know that handing over Ace to the World Government would result in a major clash between them and Whitebeard. Whether he could have anticipated the full extent of what happened at Marineford is debatable (I'm not sure if Teach knew Ace's bloodline, and thus how valuable his execution was to the WG, in advance), but at a minimum, he knowingly set up a head-on collision between one of the Yonkou and the Marines, for nothing more than a shot at using his new Shichibukai status to get into Impel Down, recruit some of those very same heinous criminals to his crew, and then promptly turn around and aim straight for Whitebeard's head - a man who, by all accounts, was a father figure for him - for the purposes of stealing his DF and usurping his position as Yonkou.

And since doing so, he and his crew have set up an operation for hunting down other DF users and killing them, specifically to steal their Devil Fruits.

Those are not the actions of a good man, no matter how you try to spin them.

Welcome to Rokkenjima.

Default Re: chopper's forms

Not to the same extent. Hancock, Cavendish and Barto can be pretty cruel towards enemies, but they have honor and empathy. Barto saved Bellamy, Cavendish showed compassion towards Rebecca. Hancock is a different case in that she willingly built a facade of psychopathy to protect herself from her traumas, but she still worries about others, even if she rarely demonstrates it.

Blackbeard is a true psychopath. He has no morality. He's the opposite of Hancock: he will pretend to have honor and empathy, but his true self does not care. When the above characters are cruel, it's their external demeanor. Inside, they can be nice people once you earn their trust. Blackbeard is the complete opposite: he may seen nice outward, but inside he's a big SoB ready to betray anyone whenever he feels like it.
    I don't know, outside of Luffy and her sisters, have we ever truly seen Hancock display compassion or empathy for someone else?

Same goes for Barto and Cavendish. Would they have stepped in to save a random innocent dresrrosian?

So far BB has not been shown to be unnecessarily cruel.

We could have easily seen him gloating about Ace's defeat and capture. But surprisingly enough he has never done it.
    Addtionally we have never seen him gloat about killing thatch or Edward. Their death's were a necessary part to his plans.
    He is not killing for enjoyment or pure cruelty.

He is not seeking control over anyone.

In fact, he believes that everyone has an assigned destiny/fate to their lives. and he adheres to that.

Surprisingly enough, Oda has reinforced this idea by recently showing us that Luffy is destined to be the Jesus of the One Piece world. He was always destined to be the Pirate King/Joy Boy/Sun God...ETC. Its his fate.

He is not fighting fate, he is manifesting his destiny.

BB believes that he is Luffy, so he has taken one or two lives along the way.

Same as Luffy, after all, it was only by pure coincidence that people like Buggy and Lucci didn't fall into the sea instead of safe spots after he was done with them

Quote Originally Posted by Coookie View Post
    Asking his crew to go on a hunt for Devil Fruit users, kill them and steal their abilities for themselves is pretty evil in my book
    Its a means to an end.

He hasn't asking them to massacre df users.

Just gather strong fruits.

So far, the people we have seen with powerful pirates are criminals and the WG
    ODA:ITS BECAUSE IN THAT ERA EVERYONE USES THEIR LIVES TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS. FOR AN ENEMY WHEN THEIR DREAM HAS BEEN SHATTERED,IT IS AS PAINFUL AS DEATH,I BELIEVE FOR A PIRATE NOT TO KILL AN ENEMY , IT'S GIVING THEM A SECOND CHANCE TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS.

Blackbeard spending decades with the WB Pirates, forming bonds of brotherhood with them just to betray them so callously later is pure psychopathy. He clearly is beyond empathy and emotional bonds.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

Yeah, hard disagree. If you want to argue that Luffy, the Strawhats, and many of the supporting cast aren't as "good" as they tend to be portrayed, that's one thing, but Blackbeard is another matter entirely.

Murdering Thatch was evil, full stop. If he wanted the Devil Fruit Thatch had found, he could have tried talking to him about it or even simply stealing the fruit before resorting to murder.

Pillaging Drum Kingdom can be written off as simply "Pirate Behavior" used to start building a name for himself, but it's still distinctly on the darker end of the spectrum.

Given his plan to join the Shichibukai, his hunt for a 100,000,000+ bounty isn't inherently "evil" in and of itself, but he had to know that handing over Ace to the World Government would result in a major clash between them and Whitebeard. Whether he could have anticipated the full extent of what happened at Marineford is debatable (I'm not sure if Teach knew Ace's bloodline, and thus how valuable his execution was to the WG, in advance), but at a minimum, he knowingly set up a head-on collision between one of the Yonkou and the Marines, for nothing more than a shot at using his new Shichibukai status to get into Impel Down, recruit some of those very same heinous criminals to his crew, and then promptly turn around and aim straight for Whitebeard's head - a man who, by all accounts, was a father figure for him - for the purposes of stealing his DF and usurping his position as Yonkou.

And since doing so, he and his crew have set up an operation for hunting down other DF users and killing them, specifically to steal their Devil Fruits.

Those are not the actions of a good man, no matter how you try to spin them.
    No, I was talking about strictly in the context of Impel down.

Luffy let out hundreds of dangerous deranged criminals from the prison. From level 1 to level 5.

Not all of them were peace maines. I am sure a vast majority of them were shitty people who deserved to be imprisoned.

In comparison.

Teach had the most dangerous people in the world kill each other and then he selected the remaining ones and reigned them in. They are currently under his control and do as he wants.

Ask yourself, isn't it curious that we have never ever heard of the BB pirates actually comitting evil deeds among the normal populace. Oda could have easily added a blurb about how certain islands were suffering under BB rule. But its never happened.

As for Teach attacking Drum. As far as we know, there were never any civilian causalities. Him destroying that town, is akin to Luffy destroying the capital of dressrosa while fighting doffy.

I am not saying he is good. but he is certainly not evil.

Ceaser Clown is an evil person.

Big Mom is an evil person.

Teach....i dont see it

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Blackbeard spending decades with the WB Pirates, forming bonds of brotherhood with them just to betray them so callously later is pure psychopathy. He clearly is beyond empathy and emotional bonds.
    I really disagree with this.

Would you call an undercover cop evil for going undercover?

No, I was talking about strictly in the context of Impel down.

Luffy let out hundreds of dangerous deranged criminals from the prison. From level 1 to level 5.

Not all of them were peace maines. I am sure a vast majority of them were shitty people who deserved to be imprisoned.

In comparison.

Teach had the most dangerous people in the world kill each other and then he selected the remaining ones and reigned them in. They are currently under his control and do as he wants.

Ask yourself, isn't it curious that we have never ever heard of the BB pirates actually comitting evil deeds among the normal populace. Oda could have easily added a blurb about how certain islands were suffering under BB rule. But its never happened.

As for Teach attacking Drum. As far as we know, there were never any civilian causalities. Him destroying that town, is akin to Luffy destroying the capital of dressrosa while fighting doffy.
    Coercing imprisoned criminals into killing each other is evil, even if you intend to keep a tight leash on the survivors you plan to free. Also, while they've largely been left to anime filler and movie storylines, as I recall, it is still manga canon that there were Level 6 prisoners left behind after Teach was done who also escaped (Stampede's Douglas Bullet as a prime example), so it's not as though those now under Blackbeard's control were the only ones who made it out.

Furthermore, it was made clear early on that their loyalty to Blackbeard is pretty tenuous and self-serving. At least one, as I recall, stated in Marineford that he'd bail in a heartbeat if Teach wasn't able to do what he had claimed he could (implied to be stealing Whitebeard's DF after his death), which implies that Teach is keeping them in line not solely through his personal power - if that were the case, they wouldn't have simply hung around waiting for him to snag the Gura Gura no Mi - but also through appeasement. It's about giving them the power (and riches/women/etc.) that they want in exchange for supporting him, and that doesn't seem like a setup designed to "keep them on a short leash" to me. Rather the opposite - it sounds like Teach is saying "As long as it doesn't cause problems for my plans, you lot can do whatever you want." That's not keeping them on a short leash - it's essentially giving them a free rein.

We know for a fact that they've been hunting down and killing people for their Devil Fruits, and while he's barely a footnote, good ol' Pinkbeard (Peachbeard? ...Momohige) was introduced ravaging a nation in the name of Blackbeard for it's annual Celestial Dragon tribute at the start of the Reverie arc - the chapter where we're introduced to the four Revolutionary Commanders.

Beyond that, the reason we don't have much evidence for Blackbeard's "tyranny and oppression" (though honestly, from my perspective, we've seen plenty already) is because he's not the focal villain at the moment. I expect we'll see a LOT more in that regard as the build up to the final clash with him starts up.

Welcome to Rokkenjima.

Furthermore, it was made clear early on that their loyalty to Blackbeard is pretty tenuous and self-serving. At least one, as I recall, stated in Marineford that he'd bail in a heartbeat if Teach wasn't able to do what he had claimed he could (implied to be stealing Whitebeard's DF after his death), which implies that Teach is keeping them in line not solely through his personal power - if that were the case, they wouldn't have simply hung around waiting for him to snag the Gura Gura no Mi - but also through appeasement. It's about giving them the power (and riches/women/etc.) that they want in exchange for supporting him, and that doesn't seem like a setup designed to "keep them on a short leash" to me. Rather the opposite - it sounds like Teach is saying "As long as it doesn't cause problems for my plans, you lot can do whatever you want." That's not keeping them on a short leash - it's essentially giving them a free rein.
    \
    How is this any different from Luffy recruiting pre timeskip Zoro.

Remember, Zoro explicitly told Luffy that he would cut his head off if he intefered with his dreams.

The only diiference is that Luffy earned Zoro's loyalty. We have not seen teach earn the other BBs loyalty. That is not evil

[/QUOTE]
    We know for a fact that they've been hunting down and killing people for their Devil Fruits, and while he's barely a footnote, good ol' Pinkbeard (Peachbeard? ...Momohige) was introduced ravaging a nation in the name of Blackbeard for it's annual Celestial Dragon tribute at the start of the Reverie arc - the chapter where we're introduced to the four Revolutionary Commanders.

Beyond that, the reason we don't have much evidence for Blackbeard's "tyranny and oppression" (though honestly, from my perspective, we've seen plenty already) is because he's not the focal villain at the moment. I expect we'll see a LOT more in that regard as the build up to the final clash with him starts up.
    Again, lets look at this from a meta perspective.

If Oda wanted us to view the BB as evil, he would have shown us them attacking a relative weak "good guy" for their fruit.

So far we have only seen them go after incredibly strong people. Edward, Sabo and Luffy.

If Luffy got defeated and killed by burgess, would he cry about it?

No, he would accept that was the limit of his strength and go out with a smile on his face. Inherently making the act of killing him as not evil.

We have never ever seen. teach attack a civilian. He has only attacked pirates, marines serving a corrupt government and people actively seeking to end his life.

He is not evil.

Hancock was a complete monster starting out, then she got some of that Vegeta is nice now powder sprinkled on her and now she is nicer.

Default Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Mark II

Its a means to an end.

He hasn't asking them to massacre df users.

Just gather strong fruits.

So far, the people we have seen with powerful pirates are criminals and the WG
    Ends don't justify the means, never have, never will. They aren't just looking for and gathering strong and available fruits, they're actively hunting Devil Fruit users because they know of a way to extract their powers.

Spoiler:

And the people on the receiving end being mostly outlaws does not detract from their actions being evil whatsoever. Or do you also think people can do whatever they want to criminals?

But with all your replies and arguments it's becoming pretty apparent that you're not interested in questioning your own perspective and that you're already set in your "Blackbeard actually isn't evil" mindset, no matter what others say.

How is this any different from Luffy recruiting pre timeskip Zoro.

Remember, Zoro explicitly told Luffy that he would cut his head off if he intefered with his dreams.

The only diiference is that Luffy earned Zoro's loyalty. We have not seen teach earn the other BBs loyalty. That is not evil
    It's not different, except on one very key point - the character of the person/people he freed and recruited.

Zoro is fundamentally a good(-ish) person. The Level 6 prisoners Blackbeard recruited are emphatically not.

Again, lets look at this from a meta perspective.

If Oda wanted us to view the BB as evil, he would have shown us them attacking a relative weak "good guy" for their fruit.

So far we have only seen them go after incredibly strong people. Edward, Sabo and Luffy.

If Luffy got defeated and killed by burgess, would he cry about it?

No, he would accept that was the limit of his strength and go out with a smile on his face. Inherently making the act of killing him as not evil.

We have never ever seen. teach attack a civilian. He has only attacked pirates, marines serving a corrupt government and people actively seeking to end his life.

He is not evil.
    Wapol and his army bailed on Drum Island the moment Blackbeard showed up. The only people that were left for Teach to attack were civilians, unless you think that Dalton could have put up enough of a fight that they ravaged the country as mere collateral damage to their epic battle.

Again, Momohige was targeting a weak nation during the Reverie under Blackbeard's umbrella. Attacking civilians is not somehow a line Teach is unwilling to cross.

And since when is "My opponent would accept their death, so therefore my killing them is not evil" a thing?

Welcome to Rokkenjima.

By pirate standards Blacky seems fairly middle of the road. He's reverese personality Luffy after all, he feels more chaotic and selfish than evil for evulz.

I wonder if Robin knows the content of the Poneglyph that Ohara had... It's one of the 9 historical, and one of the most important at that, containing the name of the Kingdom...
    Did she read it back then... If not, she is going to...
    So where does the WG keep it? In Mary Geoise? How many do they have?

"There will be an answer, let it be."

Quote Originally Posted by Coookie View Post
    Ends don't justify the means, never have, never will. They aren't just looking for and gathering strong and available fruits, they're actively hunting Devil Fruit users because they know of a way to extract their powers.

And the people on the receiving end being mostly outlaws does not detract from their actions being evil whatsoever. Or do you also think people can do whatever they want to criminals?

But with all your replies and arguments it's becoming pretty apparent that you're not interested in questioning your own perspective and that you're already set in your "Blackbeard actually isn't evil" mindset, no matter what others say.
    Aw shucks, it kind of stings that you have pigeonholed me into that role.

I was just presenting my argument.

I am completely and utterly open to being proven wrong.

I believe in a steel man argument more than a straw man argument.

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Evil? No

Lousy, morally bankrupt selfish scumbag? Yes.
    He shows no honor, compassion or care towards others, thought. He seems to be a psychopath, lying, tricking and killing without any show of remorse or empathy.
    Should be noted this isn't necessarily evil either. Psychopaths can't change that they were born that way.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Blackbeard killed his father? His killed Thatch, gave his nakama Ace away to be executed and attacked and killed someone he pretended to consider his own father, Whitebeard.

Also, evil =/= tyranny
    Big Mom and the Marines are examples of dominant and hierarchical powers. Blackbeard is on the freedom side of evil: let everyone do what they want, have fun on my pirate island, and kill if necessary.
    They did destroy Drum, and for no reason. Civilians and Dalton looked pretty traumatised after.

I always considered him a boringly evil character. He just seem to be always cackling about causing great damage. And do a lot of uncessary damage. Like he destroying marineford for fun after taking the fruit from Whitebeard. Had the whole whats more fun then a battle to the death for recruitment. And people like his doctor and Burguess are introcuced having fun destroying/killing people.

What is interesting about the Blackbeard pirates is that they to some degree feel they aren't choosing to do things as much as they are compelled to do things by fate.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information