View Poll Results: who is the strongest now living char in OP?

Voters
431. You may not vote on this poll
  • Shanks

    101 23.43%
  • Mihawk

    9 2.09%
  • Kizaru

    8 1.86%
  • Dragon

    75 17.40%
  • Akainu

    27 6.26%
  • Big Mom

    3 0.70%
  • Kaido

    42 9.74%
  • Kuzan

    1 0.23%
  • the grosei

    18 4.18%
  • Garp

    7 1.62%
  • Sengoku

    1 0.23%
  • Blackbeard

    100 23.20%
  • Marco

    6 1.39%
  • Kuma

    4 0.93%
  • other

    29 6.73%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 458 of 469 FirstFirst ... 358 408 448 456 457 458 459 460 468 ... LastLast
Results 9,141 to 9,160 of 9370

Thread: Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Mark II

  1. #9141

    Default Re: Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Mark II

    Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    Something that has been bothering me.


    I mean, Whitebeard even uses the sphere effect when touching Blackbeard, which shouldn't be possible, right?

    What do you think?
    I think all those instances were just good ol Gura Gura as I don't recall any instance of WB using that sphere thing while being touched by BB.

    First attack as you said BB uses his DF to cancel WB's powers by touching him but then after that WB slashes him and uses his spear and feet to stop BB from touching him again and that's when he hits him with the sphere punch. Or at least that's how i remember the fight so in my mind it's pretty straightforward.

  2. #9142

    Default Re: Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Mark II

    Quote Originally Posted by statu variabilis View Post
    I think all those instances were just good ol Gura Gura as I don't recall any instance of WB using that sphere thing while being touched by BB.

    First attack as you said BB uses his DF to cancel WB's powers by touching him but then after that WB slashes him and uses his spear and feet to stop BB from touching him again and that's when he hits him with the sphere punch. Or at least that's how i remember the fight so in my mind it's pretty straightforward.
    The problem is that the final sphere attack is done while holding BB by the neck, thus touching him. Maybe BB needs to use his hand to nullify powers, but it always felt weird that touching skin to skin allowed WB to use his DF. If that’s haki, it would make more sense.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

  3. #9143

    Default Re: Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Mark II

    Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    The problem is that the final sphere attack is done while holding BB by the neck, thus touching him. Maybe BB needs to use his hand to nullify powers, but it always felt weird that touching skin to skin allowed WB to use his DF. If that’s haki, it would make more sense.
    Hmmm... that could be a bit problematic but i also think that you offered a decent answer yourself here. It might even be that BB doesn't necessarily need to use his hands more like it's not an ability that can be used automatically but rather requires effort.

    Well I can't check myself so going completely of my memory, after WB grabbed BB by the neck he punched or slammed him(?) and were there tremor/explosion like effects that implied quake to me.
    I'm sorry but I just remember that scene as being completely unambiguous.

    Wait, I just remembered that Croc would use only his hand to turn stuff into sand, so this could be a similar case with BB?

  4. #9144

    Default Re: Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Mark II

    Quote Originally Posted by statu variabilis View Post
    Well I can't check myself so going completely of my memory, after WB grabbed BB by the neck he punched or slammed him(?) and were there tremor/explosion like effects that implied quake to me.
    There was no punch, WB formed the sphere with the hand that has helding BB's neck. The ground broke after that, but it wasn't the widespread island-sized damage WB usually does. It wasn't that different from the destruction other haki users did after timeskip.

    I'm sorry but I just remember that scene as being completely unambiguous.
    Search it out (in the manga), please. It's not so unambiguous.

    Wait, I just remembered that Croc would use only his hand to turn stuff into sand, so this could be a similar case with BB?
    Could be, but in CHapter 441 BB describes his ability and says to Ace that being in contact with his body is enough to rob a DF user of its powers.

    Also, in Chapter 441, Whitebeard is able to hit Ace despite not holding him in his hand (BB gives him a backhand punch to the neck).

    I remember we being confused back in Marineford when WB seemed to use his abilities despite directly touching BB. We all just assumed BB needed to use his hand, but now, with haki being expanded, I started re-reading Marineford and the sphere effect called my attention.

    There's a sound effect used whenever Whitebeard conjures the bubble, maybe someone can check out what it's meant for?
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

  5. #9145

    Default Re: Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Mark II

    I mean, you could very well be right but I think I'm unlikely to change my mind until we get some extra conformation. The fact there ground broke without any punch or slam in my opinion should actually be a point in my favor as almost all destruction (that could be taken as mini quakes) caused by haki users required force behind their haki.

    Two more things I'd like to point out, we had an instance where WB showed he had trouble using coc, namely when Luffy used it to saved Ace and that after BB stole gura gura he also created a bubble around his hand.

    But i do agree that touching BB and having that bubble is very strange and makes your theory quite possible.

  6. #9146
    Kick-Ass Finalis desa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Somewhere

    Default Re: Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Mark II

    Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    Something that has been bothering me.
    In Marineford, there were moments when Whitebeard's power was represented by his attacks cracking the air. And moments when his power was represented with a sphere of power surrounding either his hand or blade.

    For instance, check chapter 575: WB's first attack on Akainu uses the sphere effect. The second ones uses the cracking effect and has the aftershock of the earthquake.

    With the revelation that Conqueror Haki can be used in attacks, producing an effect similar to the sphere one (again, check chapter 575, WB hurts Akainu without touching him), could Oda be actually showing haoshoku attacks since then, but we were assuming it was the Gura Gura no Mi all along?

    I mean, Whitebeard even uses the sphere effect when touching Blackbeard, which shouldn't be possible, right?

    What do you think?

    (BTW, the Anime does confuse the two effects implying the sphere one is an application of the Gura Gura, there's even a moment Blackbeard nullifies it with the Yami Yami No Mi. But I didn't find this confusion in the manga)
    I dont think Oda planned it back then but if he says it was CoC all along thats fine. He used it when angry at Akainu so that works.

    Maybe also Sengoku shockwaves somehow.



  7. #9147

    Default Re: Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Mark II

    Quote Originally Posted by statu variabilis View Post
    after BB stole gura gura he also created a bubble around his hand.
    Yeah, I had forgotten to check BB showing off both powers. That panel confirms the bubble effect is intended to be the Gura Gura.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

  8. #9148

    Default Re: Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Mark II

    What's the general consensus on how Big Mom's character arc will conclude? I'm more interested in her than Kaido.

  9. #9149

    Default Re: Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Mark II

    I don't know if there even is a general consensus. Some people suspect that she'll stick around to be involved in Elbaf, but that's about it for what I've heard of community opinions.

    Personally I'm on board with her sticking around after Kaido gets beat. From there I can think of several possibilities.
    - At some point the strawhats face her for a showdown.
    - Somehow her mental problems are put under control, allowing her to live a peaceful life.
    - She's beaten by another force. Could be Kid, Shanks, Blackbeard, the marines...

    There's no saying which option would be most satisfying, depends entirely on how it plays out. Still, giving her a satisfying ending in this manga seems like a very difficult thing. She's garnered a weird mix of sympathy and revulsion, part of me would like her to find some semblance of peace, but she's done so much bad stuff that if she settled down with no repercussions it risks leaving a bad taste and feeling out of character.
    Last edited by Zar; April 28th, 2021 at 03:37 AM.

  10. #9150
    Omne ignotum pro magnifico Zik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

    Default Re: Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Mark II

    Whitebeard punching the shit out of Akainu would make even more sense if it was a conqueror's haki attack.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

  11. #9151

    Default Re: Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Mark II

    Quote Originally Posted by Zar View Post
    I don't know if there even is a general consensus. Some people suspect that she'll stick around to be involved in Elbaf, but that's about it for what I've heard of community opinions.

    Personally I'm on board with her sticking around after Kaido gets beat. From there I can think of several possibilities.
    - At some point the strawhats face her for a showdown.
    - Somehow her mental problems are put under control, allowing her to live a peaceful life.
    - She's beaten by another force. Could be Kid, Shanks, Blackbeard, the marines...

    There's no saying which option would be most satisfying, depends entirely on how it plays out. Still, giving her a satisfying ending in this manga seems like a very difficult thing. She's garnered a weird mix of sympathy and revulsion, part of me would like her to find some semblance of peace, but she's done so much bad stuff that if she settled down with no repercussions it risks leaving a bad taste and feeling out of character.
    Thank you for sharing your thoughts. At the start of Wano, I had the same thought as your first bullet: Kaido will be the Yonko they beat in collaboration with other Worst Generation pirates while a weakened Big Mom Pirates crew, in terms of reputation, will get an arc for a showdown with the Straw hats. Sort of like an additional stepping stone for Luffy and Co. Before they face off with Blackbeard.

    The second bullet I also like because she never had the childhood that she deserved because she was too strong for her own good, catching the eye of a child trafficker. However, great point - she's done too many evil things to get a peaceful ending. Third bullet is fine too! I think Blackbeard raiding WCI while BM is away has been discussed. For me as long as she doesn't die in Wano. Kaido is the only one that should be utterly defeated there.

    *Reason I asked is because we're starting a One Piece podcast of our own with 2 friends. They're both saying Big Mom will be killed in Wano... But Kaido, the guy literally looking for a glorious death, is being set-up as a casualty of the arc.

  12. #9152

    Default Re: Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Mark II

    Quote Originally Posted by Gol D. Silvers View Post
    Thank you for sharing your thoughts. At the start of Wano, I had the same thought as your first bullet: Kaido will be the Yonko they beat in collaboration with other Worst Generation pirates while a weakened Big Mom Pirates crew, in terms of reputation, will get an arc for a showdown with the Straw hats. Sort of like an additional stepping stone for Luffy and Co. Before they face off with Blackbeard.

    The second bullet I also like because she never had the childhood that she deserved because she was too strong for her own good, catching the eye of a child trafficker. However, great point - she's done too many evil things to get a peaceful ending. Third bullet is fine too! I think Blackbeard raiding WCI while BM is away has been discussed. For me as long as she doesn't die in Wano. Kaido is the only one that should be utterly defeated there.

    *Reason I asked is because we're starting a One Piece podcast of our own with 2 friends. They're both saying Big Mom will be killed in Wano... But Kaido, the guy literally looking for a glorious death, is being set-up as a casualty of the arc.
    It is a very interesting topic. Pretty much every other villain has been removed from the story after their defeat, and if they reappear it's much later. Big Mom is an anomaly in that this isn't her arc, and she's got a lot of connections to other parts of the world. There's certainly a possibility she'll be dealt with in Wano, but I have a hard time seeing it get the fanfare it deserves and not taking away from Kaido's inevitable defeat. He's also an interesting one actually. I don't doubt for a second that he'll go down, but I wonder how his story will end. Will he be killed, and if so how (it would fit the best thematically, but at the same time I don't think Luffy will be responsible for it. So question is who or what will kill him)? Will he be apprehended by the marines? Will he somehow be pacified and lose his power, or escape and for whatever reason decide on a peaceful life? That's gonna be fascinating.

    Good luck with the podcast!

  13. #9153

    Default Re: Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Mark II

    Okay so is shinobu technically a scabbard? The recent anime episode has been doing my head in a bit with the inconsistency with the scabbards numbers, especially since Izo was a scabbard in Wano for a significant number of years but got excluded from the whole “9 scabbards” part. I would say Shinobu is a scabbard but Odas kinda side-lined her involvement with them for babysitting Momo. And then Oden obviously never officially had her as one?

  14. #9154

    Default Re: Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Mark II

    Quote Originally Posted by Tange View Post
    Okay so is shinobu technically a scabbard? The recent anime episode has been doing my head in a bit with the inconsistency with the scabbards numbers, especially since Izo was a scabbard in Wano for a significant number of years but got excluded from the whole “9 scabbards” part. I would say Shinobu is a scabbard but Odas kinda side-lined her involvement with them for babysitting Momo. And then Oden obviously never officially had her as one?
    No, neither Izo nor Shinobu are Scabbards.

    "Akazaya Nine" refers to the nine retainers that followed Oda from Kuri and were seen walking under the sunset, their swords glowing red due to the sun. Shinobu was not with them, nor was Izo.

    Currently, Izo is acting as a "replacement scabbard" for Kanjuro, but he was not one of the original nine.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

  15. #9155

    Default Re: Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Mark II

    Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    No, neither Izo nor Shinobu are Scabbards.

    "Akazaya Nine" refers to the nine retainers that followed Oda from Kuri and were seen walking under the sunset, their swords glowing red due to the sun. Shinobu was not with them, nor was Izo.

    Currently, Izo is acting as a "replacement scabbard" for Kanjuro, but he was not one of the original nine.
    Well, that said, Izo was there at the start alongside Kiku, so really both Izo had known Oden for just as long as Kiku had back then, and Izo only left because of the Whitebeard situation. I’d personally be fine if Izo became an “adopted scabbard” so as to replace Kanjuro, since Kanjuro certainly never cared in the first place. lol

  16. #9156

    Default Re: Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Mark II

    Quote Originally Posted by electricmastro View Post
    Well, that said, Izo was there at the start alongside Kiku, so really both Izo had known Oden for just as long as Kiku had back then, and Izo only left because of the Whitebeard situation. I’d personally be fine if Izo became an “adopted scabbard” so as to replace Kanjuro, since Kanjuro certainly never cared in the first place. lol
    Yes, they were all retainers of Oda, but the specific "Nine Red Scabbards" title came from that moment they went off to fight Kaido, and Izo wasn't there. That's why they are called "nine", not 10 or 11.
    Wano predictions: There will be 5 acts; All Straw Hats will get fights, some in Act 4; Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Carrot will have her moment, but won't join; Yamato will be a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5; Next arc is Mary Geoise.

  17. #9157

    Default Re: Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Mark II

    Quote Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
    Yes, they were all retainers of Oda, but the specific "Nine Red Scabbards" title came from that moment they went off to fight Kaido, and Izo wasn't there. That's why they are called "nine", not 10 or 11.
    Yep, time to make a new group name then.

  18. #9158
    Omne ignotum pro magnifico Zik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

    Default Re: Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Mark II

    Call them Momo's 11.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

  19. #9159

    Default Re: Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Mark II

    Why Zoro and Sanji hate each other?.
    Could it be one of those I’m better, stronger than you, macho things?. If it is, it mostly comes from Sanji although in Zou when Luffy mentioned that Sanji was worth 1000 men, Zoro quickly retorted with I’m worth 2000, maybe it’s coming from both.

    I feel like Sanji is the one that starts most of the fights most of the time. Maybe Sanji is a bit jealous of Zoro being the right hand of Luffy, maybe?. I don’t know, i don’t really think Sanji wants to be the Firstmate, maybe he just wants the importance of it to impress the ladies. Maybe Sanji just hate Zoro’s green hair.
    Zoro does mock Sanji from time to time, so Sanji is not the only one stirring things up. But I feel that Zoro minds his own business more than Sanji when it comes to their relationship.

  20. #9160

    Default Re: Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Mark II

    well as far as i remember the first time they started to squabble was all the way back at cocoyashi island over if nami was evil or something like that, with both taking obvious sides of the argument. there was also that scene at baratie where sanji flirted with nami and gave her her order for free and obv didnt do the same for zoro and usopp but i cant remember if either of them took it as an issue.

    i think it later got expanded on little garden with their dino hunt and who caught larger one. From there on I think they just continued to bicker and take jabs at each other.

    some ppl have been joking that it was cuz zoro looks a lot like yonji and their relationship on sunny is a bit like brothers who dont get along the best. i think at this point its just what their relationship has evolved to, it doesnt matter to who started it, the only thing that matters is to annoy and take a shot at the other one.

    I think aside from sanjis chivalry they also argued cuz zoro often sleeps during dangerous weather while on ship.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts