View Poll Results: who is the strongest now living char in OP?

Voters
431. You may not vote on this poll
  • Shanks

101 23.43%
  • Mihawk

9 2.09%
  • Kizaru

8 1.86%
  • Dragon

75 17.40%
  • Akainu

27 6.26%
  • Big Mom

3 0.70%
  • Kaido

42 9.74%
  • Kuzan

1 0.23%
  • the grosei

18 4.18%
  • Garp

7 1.62%
  • Sengoku

1 0.23%
  • Blackbeard

100 23.20%
  • Marco

6 1.39%
  • Kuma

4 0.93%
  • other

29 6.73%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 435 of 440 FirstFirst ... 335 385 425 433 434 435 436 437 ... LastLast
Results 8,681 to 8,700 of 8795

Thread: Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Mark II

Discovered Stowaway No swords style best style's Avatar

Default Re: Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Mark II

I don't know how their powers would interact, but Katakuri was able to handle Bound Man MUCH better than Doflamingo.

Flagon Snaggin' Dragon Kaido King of the Beasts's Avatar
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head

Doflamingo has mastered an extremely versatile Devil Fruit, has great physical strength particularly in his legs, and has endurance on par with guys like Luffy and Jack. Big Mom viewed Luffy beating him as a pretty big deal and sent Cracker after Luffy because of it.

Katakuri would give him trouble, considering that Doffy doesn't seem to have Observation Haki. However, Doffy's endurance combined with his versatility would probably not make the battle so one-sided. I think it'd be cool if we got to see Doflamingo thinking several steps ahead and laying elaborate string traps during combat.

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by MarkSmith View Post
    But i think katakuri would still destroy doflamingo
    Considering the firepower that Luffy needed to put Doffly down I consider that he can take everything Dogtooth can dish out. ANd it was established that Dogtooth could tire out from using to much observation. I imagine Doffly tiring him out with awakening making strings pop out of nowhere and the ability to make a clone to assist.

So a decently long fight no matter who wins.

Lord Jesus our savior, hallowed be thy name, may I awake tomorrow to my prayer answered.

That all fighting discussion regarding One Piece vanish from the earth, and people may then begin to talk about interesting things.

Always relevant.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBits
    Place your bets. Is [AlphaMale/AlphaBro, an obvious ban evader] going to get banned again today, tomorrow, or in a week?
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaBro
    okay let's bet . Would love to see your losing face next week !
    An actual bet and conversation on the Chapter 905 thread, literally an hour before he got banned again.

Is there a reason why Luffy isnít covering his whole body in haki during Gear 4...

Because it would look more visually boring if he was all black. I guess.

In all seriousness, if I had to shoehorn an explanation, it's probably because all-black would exhaust his haki too quickly and not make enough of a difference to make up for it.

But it's 100% just because Oda thinks it looks cooler.
    Last edited by MrBits; July 10th, 2018 at 01:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBits
    Place your bets. Is [AlphaMale/AlphaBro, an obvious ban evader] going to get banned again today, tomorrow, or in a week?
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaBro
    okay let's bet . Would love to see your losing face next week !
    An actual bet and conversation on the Chapter 905 thread, literally an hour before he got banned again.

Quote Originally Posted by Kishido View Post
    Is there a reason why Luffy isnít covering his whole body in haki during Gear 4...
    Well, he doesn't need to

He coats the main areas that he plans to attack with

As far as I can remember the only whole body haki we've witnessed was with Vergo, and that seemed to be specifically to defend against Law's powers
    "Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!" - Auron

Quote Originally Posted by RobZilla View Post
    Well, he doesn't need to

He coats the main areas that he plans to attack with

As far as I can remember the only whole body haki we've witnessed was with Vergo, and that seemed to be specifically to defend against Law's powers
    And Pica as well

And Pica as well
    Oh yeah.

Full body haki really hasn't worked out so far
    "Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!" - Auron

Oh yeah.

Full body haki really hasn't worked out so far
    Yeah still ask myself if it wouldnít be more easy than activating it ďin timeĒ... and itís not like Gear 4 isnít already covered mostly with CoA

Mihawk explicitly said early on that going for the title of Pirate King was harder than going for Greatest Swordsman. There are people that can beat Mihawk. At the war we saw Jozu blocking one of his slashes. And Shiryu is going to beat/kill him in the near future.

But currently, no one that defines themself as a swordman, has challenged him to a sword duel, to test their skill and technique with a blade, has beaten him with a sword.

Presumably when Shanks had both arms they were able to have good sword fights and play around with sword styles and be pretty even, but now they can't so it would just be a physical match or haki contest which Mihawk isn't interested in because the most *interesting* part of a Shanks fight is gone for him now. But in contrast to that, you take a guy like Buggy who is immune to swords, Mihawk still beats him in a fight in very short order.

That takes more effort and concentration, and Luffy hasn't trained it up that well yet.

And it looks cooler spread out.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    And Shiryu is going to beat/kill him in the near future.
    What makes you so sure of that?

That's the obvious scenario any writer would go for.......that's precisely why I hope Oda doesn't go for it.

yeh, at this point Shanks's death by Teach is an absolute certainty. I hope Oda won't repeat the pattern for Mihawk though

Very likely, predictable and lazy yes, absolute certainty no.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptayn View Post
    What makes you so sure of that?
    Because Shanks is dead for sure, and because there's now zero dramatic weight to Zoro facing Mihawk as his *final opponent* in the series as part of the great final war, and has been since the timeskip. He can't enter his final battle as Strongest Swordsman in the world any more than Luffy can be Pirate King before the final battle. It just doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by RamistaR View Post
    That's the obvious scenario any writer would go for.......that's precisely why I hope Oda doesn't go for it.
    Would you prefer Zoro slake off all consequences and the fate of the world to go off and selfishly fight Mihawk during the climax? Or to have his final fight of the series with the world on the line to not be against the very best, while the rest of the crew are fighting the best in the world? For Mihawk to randomly turn evil or be a mind controlled zombie? Or to just hold off the Mihawk fight to an empty epilogue battle with no stakes or weight or emotion to it?

There is NO scenario at this point in the series where Zoro fighting Mihawk works as a final battle in terms of stakes or emotion or timing... and if Mihawk is still the best in the world ZOro can't beat him before the finale.

Or, do we the readers get invested in this pretender Shiryu stealing the title (maybe with a dirty underhanded method) and robbing us of the fight we've been waiting for thirty years? For us to be dissapointed and pissed right alongside Zoro and want him to take out that guy that beat Mihawk? (Who you know, hangs out with Shanks all the time.)

Very likely, predictable and lazy yes, absolute certainty no.
    It is ABSOLUTELY certain. Setup for Shanks fighting Blackbeard has been going since he tried to warn Whitebeard about Ace, and multiple times since. Then you factor in Luffy's promise about returning the ha? Or how stacked the deck is currently in terms of Luffy allies and world balance?
    Yasopp is also in trouble, but he and Mihawk don't have to die, just be beaten.
    Last edited by Robby; July 12th, 2018 at 07:49 AM.

any more than Luffy can be Pirate King before the final battle. It just doesn't work.
    I don't see any reason why Luffy can't be Pirate King before the final battle?

Surely finding One Piece and the ramifications of that are as a good a catalyst as any for the final war?

It is ABSOLUTELY certain
    Take it down a notch man, it's a solid theory that'll probably come to pass but there's still other ways things can play out.

I mean we had the rug yanked out from beneath the Gorosei only a few chapters ago

So let's chill with the absolutes

I know how likely it is and I don't dislike it that much either but I am a mathematician at heart rather than a physician. So I can't just say 99.99% = 100 %

I don't see any reason why Luffy can't be Pirate King before the final battle?

Surely finding One Piece and the ramifications of that are as a good a catalyst as any for the final war?
    Yes, whatever they learn and do on Raftel is the catalyst. But that title officially makes Luffy the best and the strongest officially before the final battle, with his dream already accomplished and just defending the title at that point, or leads to semantics arguments about why he's got the title of the best while not actually being the best. And that doesn't work dramatically, especially not with Oda who is all about constant escalation. (and the shonen genre in general.)

It's already weird enough that he's been inflated to an emporer already. Only way he can be king before the end is if Blackbeard appoints himself some other bigger title.

Luffy's already going to have a huge army of allies for the final war, and will probably be agreed upon as "thats the man that's going to be king!" during the arc, but... not officially at that stage before the ancient weapons and BB and the marine uprising are all done with.

I mean we had the rug yanked out from beneath the Gorosei only a few chapters ago
    Most people didn't think the Gorosei themselves were final villains. The reveal of Imu provides a specific enemy representing the government to be taken out in the war, but it doesn't create a new final villain to replace the one Oda has been building up for 18 years.
    Last edited by Robby; July 12th, 2018 at 08:29 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information