The Bends - Radiohead
    The B-52s - The B-52s
    4 - Foreigner
    In Rainbows - Radiohead
    Oracular Spectacular - MGMT
    What's Going On - Marvin Gaye

The Man Who Sold the World Dumhuvud's Avatar

Default Re: Your Most Recent Albums

^ That's a nice collection of albums. In Rainbows is my favourite album by Radiohead. The music of Kid A is a bit too distant and soundtrackish for my tastes though.

The last album I bought was In the Court of the Crimson King by King Crimson. This better be worth it, because for some reason KC albums are really expensive, and Fripp refuses to release their stuff on Spotify (I respect the guy, but dang is he stubborn).

Quote Originally Posted by Dumhuvud View Post
    ^ That's a nice collection of albums. In Rainbows is my favourite album by Radiohead. The music of Kid A is a bit too distant and soundtrackish for my tastes though.
    Personally, I found In Rainbows really hard to digest. I mean, I know pretty much all Radiohead albums need to grow on you, but this one in particular took, and maybe still is, taking a while. But I agree that Kid A's is kind of distant (but it's still damn good). OK Computer is still my favorite Radiohead album, followed by The Bends.

The last album I bought was In the Court of the Crimson King by King Crimson. This better be worth it, because for some reason KC albums are really expensive, and Fripp refuses to release their stuff on Spotify (I respect the guy, but dang is he stubborn).
    I've only listened to that album once, but I thought it was really good.

Anyway, I've been on a pretty big album spree this month. In the last 30 days alone I've gotten:

Skylarking - XTC
    Oranges and Lemons - XTC
    Join Us - They Might Be Giants
    Nanobots - They Might Be Giants
    Loveless - My Bloody Valentine
    Definitely Maybe - Oasis
    Superunknown - Soundgarden
    Led Zeppelin I
    Led Zeppelin II
    Appetite for Destruction - Guns n Roses
    Bleach (Deluxe Edition) - Nirvana

On second thought, I might have gotten it mixed up with Hail to the Thief. I'm not sure which one it was. But OK Computer is really good too.

I'll do last 10 I guess and what I rated them. Smiths I need to revisit, I was totally distracted when listening to that one. It's not going to get a 5, but a push to a 4.5 is possible.

The Police - Regatta de Blanc (3.5/5, gave their first album a 4/5)
    The Smiths - The Queen is Dead (4/5)
    Gorillaz - Demon Days (3.5/5)
    The Roots - Things Fall Apart (4/5)
    Modest Mouse - The Lonesome Crowded West (3.5/5)
    2Pac - Me Against the World (4/5)
    Wire - 154 (4/5)
    Iron Maiden - Live After Death (4/5)
    The Mowgli's - Love's Not Dead (3/5)
    A Lot Like Birds - Conversation Piece (3.5/5)

4's I try to give out sparingly, 4.5's almost never happen, and I've only rated one album a 5. I don't give an album a 5 even if I thought it achieved what the artist was going for perfectly.

Demon Days is really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumhuvud View Post
    Demon Days is really good.
    Ah sorry I was eating a taco so I could not reply for many hours. Meant to say I loved that album you got from Yes, Close to the Edge! Should I give Fragile a listen?

Cuttin' that short there because my musical knowledge is really limited. Right now I just kinda use my ears to get the feel of things but I really idolize the people who can write paragraphs upon paragraphs about every album they listen to. I liked Demon Days personally and that rating is kind of unfair because I split up the listen over several days. I'm really erratic with how I listen to music. When the stars are aligned I'll listen to the 10 a day I strive for, but a good fraction of the time I'll just split stuff up if it's a decent-sized album.

Definitely listen to Fragile. It is widely considered to be Yes' best album and definitely has some of my favorite tracks. It's tied with Close to the Edge for me as their best.

The path to music nerddom is a long road, but when you start listening to a lot of different things, it all starts falling into place. The key is to keep an open mind, especially around stuff that you don't know or understand. Over time you realize what you love and hate and maybe pick up a few details on influences, scenes and other specifics in the process.

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

Seems like we can never go too long without talking about Yes in the music subforum. But yeah, you should definitely listen to Fragile, Demonicpoodle.

Me, personally, Close to the Edge is my favorite Yes album from an artistic standpoint, but I also love 90125 as a really fun pop album. While it's still a great listen, Fragile is a bit too erratic for my tastes.

The most recent album that I listened to for the first time was Warpaint's The Fool. It fell short of my expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by Demonicpoodle View Post
    I'll do last 10 I guess and what I rated them. Smiths I need to revisit, I was totally distracted when listening to that one. It's not going to get a 5, but a push to a 4.5 is possible.

The Police - Regatta de Blanc (3.5/5, gave their first album a 4/5)
    The Smiths - The Queen is Dead (4/5)
    Gorillaz - Demon Days (3.5/5)
    The Roots - Things Fall Apart (4/5)
    Modest Mouse - The Lonesome Crowded West (3.5/5)
    2Pac - Me Against the World (4/5)
    Wire - 154 (4/5)
    Iron Maiden - Live After Death (4/5)
    The Mowgli's - Love's Not Dead (3/5)
    A Lot Like Birds - Conversation Piece (3.5/5)

4's I try to give out sparingly, 4.5's almost never happen, and I've only rated one album a 5. I don't give an album a 5 even if I thought it achieved what the artist was going for perfectly.
    Guh.. You rated The Lonesome Crowded West too low!! way too low! it is at least 4.5 !
    Think happy thoughts

Close to the Edge is more balanced and (slightly) better musically in my opinion, but Fragile is definitely worth it. Mostly for Roundabout and South Side of the Sky, but still.

Bought these bad boys.

Insides for the hell of it.

I know there's a controversial album there but I like it. I think it's the most interesting she's been in years.

Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer

AWOLnation- Megalithic Symphony
    twenty-one pilots- Vessel
    Panic! At the Disco- Too Weird to Live. Too Rare to Die
    Alt-J- An Awesome Wave
    Fall Out Boy- Save Rock & Roll, From Under the Cork Tree, Folie a Deux
    The 1975- The 1975
    Imagine Dragons- Night Visions
    Thousand Foot Krutch- The End is Where we Begin

Quote Originally Posted by Demonicpoodle View Post
    Bought these bad boys.

http://i.imgur.com/JHaQvNn.jpg

Insides for the hell of it.
    http://i.imgur.com/1HTqXXZ.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/7cGbqgL.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/cV3eQ8M.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/MIBYt4Q.jpg

I know there's a controversial album there but I like it. I think it's the most interesting she's been in years.
    How's it controversial?
    FMA 03> FMA Brotherhood

Bought Actress - RIP today

I like it

Was already out so figured I'd try to find a record store. Only one worth anything was downtown so it was kind of a trek, but at least they had what I wanted, which was a few St Vincent albums. Got all but Strange Mercy and LTG (though I probably wouldn't have bought LTG even if they had it).

Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer

Sabaton's heroes - It seems to be rather allright, but not nearly as good as Carlous Rex ( which is completely unbeatable as far as power metal goes ).

C.Ray's Beautiful Accident - an amazingly good hip-hop album, Charlie produces all his songs by himself, sings all the choruses and he still have insanely awesome lyrics and rhyming.

Key Loom's When Animals attack volume 2. - A decent album, it's nothing remarkable, it's just some really gangie music with solid production and allright flows. I like his voice a whole lot and features T-nutty ( who is one of my favorite rappers right now ).

Horseshoe Gang's Top ramen N*gga - some really solid songs, others are quite weak. The production could have been better, but Thugging Like It's nothin and Lyrical Miracle contain some of the craziest lines I've ever heard in the history of hip-hop. Horseshoe Gang can do better than the overall performance though.

Snapped up a few albums over the weekend:

Kenna - "Land 2 Air Chronicles II: Imitation is Suicide" - My first album from this artist and inspired by the essay "Self Reliance" by Ralph Waldo Emerson, it's a very smooth blend of electronic and R&B. "Wild Wild Life" is a particularly strong track and was the song that prompted me to download the rest of the albums. The title track, "Imitation is Suicide," is also quite good.

Lourde - "Pure Heroine" - Wasn't sure if I'd like her music, but after listening to a few songs at a friend's house, I decided to check the rest of the album out and was pleasantly surprised to find it far more enjoyable than expected. It's youthful music, but there is a certain elegance to it. It's an album to smoke a few cigarettes to.

Drive - Original Soundtrack - I am about obsessed with this film (which is fantastic and also the inspiration for Hotline Miami - check out both if you haven't already) and the soundtrack is also wonderfully enjoyable, with a rich, colorful 80s vibe, very Italo Disco at times. Noteworthy tracks include "Nightcall," "Under Your Spell," and "A Real Hero."

The Glitch Mob - "Love Death Immortality" - After listening to their absolutely magnificent album, "Drink the Sea," I was hyped to learn they released a new album back in February. It's very high-energy and, unlike DtS, much more vocal-focused, but I feel some of the tracks tinge on the generic at times. I have to admit, this album doesn't impress me as much, although it's still quite good and worth a purchase if you enjoy electronica (although if it comes down to it, I'd recommend buying "Drink the Sea" over this). Good driving music, especially if you need to wake up.

a mood come alive.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information