+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Your Most Recent Albums

Default Re: Your Most Recent Albums

They had a sale on jazz/funk records at a local record store, so I picked up:

Life on Planet Groove: Maceo Parker
    In the Land of Hi-Fi: Cannonball Adderley
    Light Years: Chick Corea Elektrik Band
    Accelerando: Vijay Iyer Trio

and I finally got myself some Peter Brotzmann! (The Nearer the Bone, the Sweeter the Meat)

All in all, those all cost me around 19 dollars.

Unfortunately, I found that these 5 albums were the only ones worth anything, and it took me hours to find them yesterday. I wish more record stores had what this one had.

not Witcher, not Wizzard Tyndel's Avatar

The last album I bought is actually a quite massive one, a compilation album of Rob Booth's website.
    And it was worth the very cheap price. Can't praise it enough, holy shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Truth View Post
    Last Sunday I got some CDs for $14 (!) total at this record store near the summer camp I went to.
    Buhloone Mindstate - De La Soul
    Stakes is High - De La Soul
    Aquemini - Outkast
    Stankonia - Outkast
    I'm pretty sure it's illegal to buy this many amazing albums at once.

I bought both "19" and "21" by Adele. Sister is contemplating whether or not to buy Gotye's and fun.'s latest. If she does, I'm borrowing that shit.

Otherwise, I've been uploading old albums found in my house onto iTunes. Found my old Tupac and Stone Temple Pilot albums. ^_^ And if I can't find Stankonia, I'm buying it on iTunes.

Quote Originally Posted by Insider2000 View Post
    I bought both "19" and "21" by Adele. Sister is contemplating whether or not to buy Gotye's and fun.'s latest. If she does, I'm borrowing that shit.

Otherwise, I've been uploading old albums found in my house onto iTunes. Found my old Tupac and Stone Temple Pilot albums. ^_^ And if I can't find Stankonia, I'm buying it on iTunes.
    How much Outkast you got, get them all! Even Idlewild is really good.

Aquemini and Stankonia. Still digging through CDs for them. I easily find like forty billion Korn CDs in my family's stash for some reason, but Outkast has to be hidden like the Ark of the Convenant or something. I don't hate Korn, but I can't even remember more than two Korn songs by heart and they all sound the same now. Either way, if I don't find them, I will buy them.

I need to start looking at old albums in the stores I go to. $9.99 is starting to sound too expensive for some of these CDs.

They Might Be Giants - They Might Be Giants
    They Might Be Giants - John Henry
    Beach Boys - Smiley Smile/Wild Honey
    Dexys Midnight Runners - Too Rye Ay

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Mother's Milk (easily their best)
    Cosmic Surgery - neat beats

I'm not going to make an unoriginal CALIFERNYER joke about RHCP, but they just don't have the same energy they used to. And Cosmic Surgery is some neat trip-hop that I like to listen to in the dark.

Frank Ocean: Channel Orange
    Death from Above 1979: You're a Woman I'm a Machine

it's really feking hot here, that's for sure

Quote Originally Posted by Insider2000 View Post
    Aquemini and Stankonia. Still digging through CDs for them. I easily find like forty billion Korn CDs in my family's stash for some reason, but Outkast has to be hidden like the Ark of the Convenant or something. I don't hate Korn, but I can't even remember more than two Korn songs by heart and they all sound the same now. Either way, if I don't find them, I will buy them.

I need to start looking at old albums in the stores I go to. $9.99 is starting to sound too expensive for some of these CDs.

God this song is so good

Snagged two Journey albums at Walmart today for $5 a pop. I got Infinity and Evolution, which is a pretty sweet deal considering they're supposed to be two of the better Journey albums.

I've been bouncing through a few new albums.

-Got both of Florence and the Machine's albums. Holy crap, I adore Heartlines, No Lies No Lies, Breaking Down, and Kiss with a Fist.

-Got fun.'s new album as a gift for my birthday. I haven't opened it yet, but as time has gone on, "Some Nights" has really grown on me. I want to buy their previous album too though. I found it at the mall for 7.99, two dollars cheaper than iTunes.

-My mother got old Madonna Evita's album for her birthday. We saw Evita on Broadway a few weeks ago, and the music hasn't left our ears. I got my hang ups with Madonna and feel bad we didn't get the Broadway version, but Madonna's voice just makes me happy. For once, it's not Madonna in her annoying "I'm adorable so listen to my voice as it makes you wince" or her current, "Listen to me sound exactly like Britney Spears' whispery voice". Just... Madonna singing at her best.

-Got a soundtrack of various Kirby songs with my Special Edition of Kirby 20th Anniversary Collection. Too many songs get me misty eyed.

Next week (if I'm not as swamped as I am this week), I want to finally buy and listen to Outkast's "Stankonia". Plus, I want to buy one of Electric Six's albums. I haven't decided which one, but I just want one of them.

For my birthday on the 21st, I got OK Computer by Radiohead and Midnight Marauders by ATCQ. God, Radiohead is just so fucking amazing.
    To be fair I'm also really loving Midnight Marauders, but I had already heard some of those songs several times over the past year before I actually got the album. I only started seriously looking into Radiohead in September after my friend begged me to, so I'm still in awe at how great "Karma Police" and "Paranoid Android" are in particular.

I just got my vinyl copy of the Mountain Goats' Transcendental Youth in today. I want to do nothing but listen to my vinyl copy of the Mountain Goats' Transcendental Youth today.

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

-Eldorado by ELO. I love concept albums and I love ELO. Particularly, I love their orchestral stylings, which are quite present in this album. I'd never really listened to "Can't Get it Out of My Head" before this album (I'd heard it, but not "listened" to it). It's a really great song.

-Zenyatta Mondatta by The Police. I really enjoy The Police's smooth easy listening style. "Don't Stand So Close to Me" and "De Do Do Do De Da Da Da" are classics, of course, but I also really like "Canary in a Coalmine" and "Bombs Away."

Turisas - Battle Metal
    and
    Varangian Way (director's cut).

These complete my Turisas collection~ Although there are a few singles I don't own legally.

Mink Car and The Spine by They Might Be Giants.

Mink Car- To date, their most diverse and experimental album. John and John dip their fingers into all sorts of music styles in this album, including techno, hip-hop, a love ballad, and I guess Cyclops Rock could be seen as an attempt at punk rock. And, surprisingly, they manage to pull them all off pretty well. At the same time, there are plenty of songs that fit the classic TMBG style. Aside from 1 or 2 songs I'm not too fond of, I'd say it's a really good album, and another worthy entry into TMBG's catalogue.

The Spine- A return to the classic TMBG style, but at the same time, it's kind of disappointing. Don't get me wrong, this is still a solid album and I really like, but at the same time it feels incomplete. The album starts out strong and has a second peak in the middle, but the rest is a bunch of songs that, while solid, aren't as catchy or memorable. At 35 minutes, it's also one of their shortest albums. I don't know. Maybe they could've expanded "Spine" and "Spines" into full songs, rather than just 30 second asides, because they are really good. And maybe swap out some of the weaker songs for some others that have a more distinct and diverse sound (that's another thing this album is missing is diversity). Now, I've been hard on this album, but let me repeat that I think this is still a good album overall and even the weaker songs I can listen to and enjoy for the most part.

I haven't bought as many albums this year as I did last, but the ones I have are quite enjoyable.

Metric - Synthetica
    Lindsey Buckingham - Seeds We Sow (now that I think about it, this may have actually be released last year, but I didn't get it until recently)
    Dawes - Nothing Is Wrong (as above)
    Jeff Lynne - Long Wave
    Jeff Lynne - Mr. Blue Sky, The Best of ELO (all-new, solo recordings of ELO classics)

And last but certainly not least, Susanna Hoffs (of the Bangles) sent me a copy of her new solo album 'Someday.'

The Man Who Sold the World Dumhuvud's Avatar

A friend sent me Milt Jackson's Ballads & Blues. Sweet.

I recently bought the self-titled album by Signum Regis. I had never actually heard their music before, but the album was only €1.99, so I just couldn't not buy it... and I must say that it's pretty good! (:
    "We are brethren of the monastery called The World, where folk grow hungry"

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information