+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Sword Art Online

エッチなのはいけないと思います! Malintex_Terek's Avatar

Default Sword Art Online

It has potential and doesn't piss me off, which I can't say featured into Accel World. Anyone else hopeful?
    MUV-LUV ALTERNATIVE
    Making Anime and Manga OBSOLETE since 2006
    PM me for details

Default Re: Sword Art Online

Can't agree about the Accel World part- since I love it- but SAO definitely has some big potential. Many praised it and it's said to be even better than Accel World (same author for those who don't know) and after watching the first episode I might have to agree. It's also about virtual worlds and games but it's somewhat darker and that very aspect makes it so appealing to me. Personally I'm looking forward to seeing more of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Enzeru View Post
    Can't agree about the Accel World part- since I love it-
    You shouldn't admit something like that, people might get the wrong idea.

http://i48.tinypic.com/4gpv12.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Enzeru View Post
    Many praised it and it's said to be even better than Accel World (same author for those who don't know) and after watching the first episode I might have to agree. It's also about virtual worlds and games but it's somewhat darker and that very aspect makes it so appealing to me. Personally I'm looking forward to seeing more of it.
    I wouldn't call it darker, necessarily. I think the setting has focused the plot in such a way that we may see something unique and interesting as far as game-play is considered, like the technical creativity of Oda's fights. Why? Because there's no magic in SAO (just swords and "techniques" which might end up being magic anyway) and the need to log out periodically has been completely obviated. That's set the stage for character development between a troubled, but not painfully so, youth, and his other companion who he seems to get along with well.
    MUV-LUV ALTERNATIVE
    PM me for details

Ahaha what a glorious picture you picked there. People might really misunderstand it not knowing about the context of that particular situation.

Well the darker part was referring to players literally dying if being stripped of all their HP or the NervGear device itself. And that is quite a dark part of a game(!) which admittedly makes for some good drama and entertainment. Our protagonist has got 100 floors to clear before he can get out of that virtual hell so I'm curious as to what else is going to happen- for example the inevitable deaths of future friends/companions in order to build up some tension.

Just watched the first episode. I'll have to be frank it was pretty boring it seems like very bookish pacing and the kind which isn't highly regarded in today's time anymore "Dumping the whole set up in chapter 1".

Characters are boring, being a antisocial loner without context isn't an interesting character trait. The setting itself is your standart fantasy world, but oh well that's at least something that's coherent with the landscape of mmo of the last decade (and no having no magic is not a trait enough to distinguish itself). The whole simulated reality thing doesn't earn originality points either since that's something I'm already extremely familiar with from other media. The execution of it wasn't very interesting either (oh they wear hightech helmets).

That said this was very much a introduction episode. So if this follows the procedure of old school book pacing, things might kind of get way more interesting in the next 2-3 episodes. And the thing that draws me into for now is the top of the line animation.
    So this was pretty heavy critique which makes it seem that I already have a negative attitude to this series but I'm actually very hopeful.
    Some of the best books use the info dump in chapter 1 thing and in exchange become really hard to put away once you've gotten through that.

This is on my list to try this week. I'll let you know my opinion when I watch the first episode within the next few days.

My friends and roommates at college this year are/were into MMOs to varying degrees, so I decided to give this a look-see. Most of the elements presented in the first episode I'd already seen utilized elsewhere at some point or another, so I guess the draw at the moment is seeing how this show is going to distinguish itself. The prospect of no magic (at least for the good guys, I'll bet that the villains will eventually break it out) can lead to some interesting fights, and I'm a sucker for ''band of heroes'' stories, so I'm going to stick around for a bit and see where this leads.

I cracked a smile when I recognized Hiroaki Hirata's voicing Klein, and got a big kick at the players' true identities being revealed, seeing all the handsome teenage boys and girls turning into...well, the type of people you'd expect would be on an MMO in real life (including guys pretending to be girls).
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

Very interested. A darker, more action-oriented dot.hack//SIGN-like with Yuki Kajiura doing music? I'm totally in.

One of the things that I appreciated was that they took a slow, show rather than tell approach to establishing the confines of the virtual world these players will be stuck in.
    The narrative choice to frame the game as one of survival of the fittest where people really are dying left and right --and giving that it's appropriate gravity-- intrigues me.
    And the character interaction between Kirito and Klein (Hiroaki Hirata YESSSS) has me feeling hopeful.
    Let's just hope it doesn't unravel too quickly (like, I would agree, Accel World did).

One of the few series I'll be watching this season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    There's a great lighthearted vibe around here, because no matter how serious we might get, we're all together because of some magical pirate.

Just watched episode 2. Man I really like the animation nice fighting scenes. Aside from that another setup chapter where we are introduced to some new characters one of them the girl from the intro. Dunno the characters are still to vague to judge. Still hard to give an educated guess of how this show will develop.

They cut out some things from the novels in episode 2. And man, the pacing was really fast.

I felt the pacing was fine for everything except the character development. Kirito's revelation about Diabel didn't seem appropriate given he'd only met the guy the day before, and we'd only know Diabel for like 6 minutes. The revelation was perfectly acceptable, and everything Diabel did was perfectly acceptable, but the two didn't gel together because the revelation needed a lot more exposure. If you exclude that part, the biggest beef with the episode is they didn't explain the game mechanics, which is a big problem.

I feel that the game mechanics are going to be a major appeal of this show, because like any game people know the rules too (chess, mahjong, Yu-Gi-Oh!) we can appreciate the plays/moves made by other players. If we have no concept of the rules, we have no standard for being amazed at how clever/insightful the players are.

The fight scene against the Kobold Lord, for example, was rather empty for me. I didn't feel tension or any emotional connection to it, although the music suggested there should be one. If the Kobold Lord acted like The Butcher in Diablo, who was a notoriously strong, terrifying boss on Level 2 of that game and was likely to slaughter weak allies - you could have had some anger/resentment toward the Kobold Lord.

Also, I did not understand why Kirito couldn't find his way to the boss's lair earlier. He didn't remark that that part of the game changed, but he did on the weapon switch.
    MUV-LUV ALTERNATIVE
    PM me for details

This series is so weird. Just saw episode 3.
    Events are so disconnected from another that I don't get a feeling for the characters at all. They're still pretty flat.
    It's kind of cool how they integrate different mmo skills visually but that's it.

I'm not sure what to think of that kind of story structure it doesn't feel that it's suited for the kind of impression the series gives off.

Watched Episodes 1 and 2 last week. I've played alot of MMOs, so the premise is cool to me.

I haven't read the visual novel, so I had no idea that the pace was so fast. It seemed pretty normal to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Galaxy 9000 View Post
    Watched Episodes 1 and 2 last week. I've played alot of MMOs, so the premise is cool to me.

I haven't read the visual novel, so I had no idea that the pace was so fast. It seemed pretty normal to me.
    Same

I liked the pacing. Kinda like what was done with Druaga.

Just saw ep 3... WTF THAT'S TOO FAST!!!
    Last edited by x20a; July 21st, 2012 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Galaxy 9000 View Post
    There isn't a VN; SAO was originally fanfiction that was picked up and refined as a light novel series.

I'll check out Episode 3. Personally though, I'm really looking forward to Smile PreCure! above all else this week. :<
    MUV-LUV ALTERNATIVE
    PM me for details

Quote Originally Posted by Malintex_Terek View Post
    fanfiction
    Web novel, you mean. It was never a fan work based on any existing work.

Doujin then. The original was definitely a doujin, there wouldn't have been an H scene in a published work, "web novel" or not.
    MUV-LUV ALTERNATIVE
    PM me for details

I wish they would have shown more of the fight against Nicholas Renegade
    Member of Negima is Super Awesome
    MY YOUTUBE channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Mcwhirlpoolinc?feature=mhee

Supposedly the real story is coming next week, so I'll be patient and hope the pacing stabilizes.
    MUV-LUV ALTERNATIVE
    PM me for details

Quote Originally Posted by Malintex_Terek View Post
    Supposedly the real story is coming next week, so I'll be patient and hope the pacing stabilizes.
    I hope so, I don't like how they skip some things. The chraracter development of Kirito really suffered from it during those 3 episodes.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information