+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: The Metal Thread

Default Re: The Metal Thread

Been discovering a shit ton of good metal lately. It's great when you can find so much stuff that clicks with you. It's always frustrating when you see people raving about the last big thing in metal and you can't get into it, but thankfully I'm getting behind a lot of the hype stuff lately. It's also great how much I'm liking new stuff instead of always looking back at the classics. I feel there's so much great bands doing interesting stuff right now that every time a Gene Simmons comes around saying "rock is dead! no more great bands anymore!" I think he's just an ignorant old man (and I love Kiss).

Some of this awesome stuff includes (but it's not limited to):

Winterhorde. Some pretty tasty orchestral black metal from Israel. Blasty yet melodic. And classy. Very classy.

Spoiler:

Vektor. Slighty proggy thrash by some very talented young lads. Like, VERY talented. The last album is getting insanely high ratings all around, and I can see why. I like the album overall, but the last three tracks are just. . .insane. Like this one here. The last 3 minutes or so are pure gold.

Spoiler:

Mistur. Melodic death? Melodic black? I don't quite know. But it's kinda proggy and it's very, very good. Like the song above, the last 3 minutes are godly. You just gotta love a good build up.

Spoiler:

Haken. These prog veterans are good. While everyone is fauning at the mouth over "The Architect", I'm much more of a fan of this little gem. And it's weird, the 80's stuff should feel much more tacked on and gimmicky (let's face it, it IS gimmicky as hell), but it just. . .works. So much.

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by kouch_lee View Post
    Mistur. Melodic death? Melodic black? I don't quite know. But it's kinda proggy and it's very, very good. Like the song above, the last 3 minutes are godly. You just gotta love a good build up.

Spoiler:
    Mistur is awesome. There are so many good bands out there today with incredible song ideas. But oftentimes they invent this amazing riff but don't play it out for two/four minutes because it wouldn't fit the genre or they are just ignorant or whatever reason. Drives me crazy, luckily Mistur isn't one of them.

Anyway, some NSFW lyrics incoming, Sanctus Perversum from Belphegor. Imo the most gorgeous iridescent guitar work in Black Metal:
    Spoiler:
    "Often I think about my many comrades fallen by my side. I heard their curses against the war and its authors, the revolt against their murder. And I, as a survivor, believe that I am inspired by their will to struggle, for the idea of peace and human fraternity."
    Corp. Barthas, France, Feb. 1919

I am on Ensiferum and high spirited mood today

Enjoying the new Amon Amarth and Dark Funeral albums right now. I just love how Dark Funeral are stagnating on a high level, awesome album. Even Heljarmadr sounds exactly like Caligula. (Satan will be laughing from his throne)

And Finns be damned, they already created a perfect successor of Ensiferum and Wintersun: Brymir
    "Often I think about my many comrades fallen by my side. I heard their curses against the war and its authors, the revolt against their murder. And I, as a survivor, believe that I am inspired by their will to struggle, for the idea of peace and human fraternity."

Finally, something I can relate to (well, since Helloween)
    When AP used to be good:

NEVER FORGET !!

Quote Originally Posted by Wintermute View Post
    And Finns be damned, they already created a perfect successor of Ensiferum and Wintersun: Brymir
    I listened to this the day you posted it. I liked it, it is good, but I honestly think it's too simple in comparison of the two.

On the other hand, I am completely hooked to Type O Negative. The whole new world to discover is ahead of me

Welp, thanks to this band I'm on a total thrash metal trip recently. It's like Kirk Hammet moved over to Slayer.

Also this:
    Spoiler:

I must say, my motto is, always ignore trolls and assholes on the internet. But if you just reply with this video without any comment they maybe die on cringe? I think I will use this

Whoo, double post. And oops no metal, just cybergoth. That sounds like metal:

Spoiler:

Sweet, sweet catharsis

Spoiler:
    A friend of mine introduced me to this band. Pretty nice. But, damn, what a complicated name.

One month left till 2017, and I don't know if there any surprises awating on december.

If not, it might be time to wrap up all this year's releases and prepare a Top list of albums and songs.

Anyone up for this?

I would if I could, but aside from Anaal Nathrakh and Metallica I hardly had time to catch up to something new this year.

Speaking of, Spit Out the Bone is soooo riffy and nostalgic ;_; it has to be my number one pick for best song.
    Spoiler:
    I'm working on my huge backlog though and bought Holopainen's "The Life And Times Of Scrooge McDuck", what a fantastic album:

Spoiler:
    I'm working on my huge backlog though and bought Holopainen's "The Life And Times Of Scrooge McDuck", what a fantastic album:

I know right? The last sled is my favourite one. And I love the fact that it's his wife singing~

Having Borgir days lately.
    I literally get shivers when Vortex starts to sing

Oh I didn't knew that about Tuomas and his wife. Puts a whole new spin on the songs, thank you for pointing it out.

Well and a friend of mine is a big Dimmu Borgir fan and we both agreed that from all the members DB lost, Vortex hurt the most. Thank Satan we can still hear him with Borknagar. I checked out Winter Thrice which came out this year and it's really good.

Well and a friend of mine is a big Dimmu Borgir fan and we both agreed that from all the members DB lost, Vortex hurt the most. Thank Satan we can still hear him with Borknagar. I checked out Winter Thrice which came out this year and it's really good.
    Yup I was converted by a friend as well. And I have listened to that album too.
    My favourite from there

And my personal favourite overall, his voice is really something else.

Somehow missed all the good metal stuff this year. Yeah, will check "Albums of the year" lists

Meshuggah released their lastest studio album on 7 October, The Violent Sleep of Reason. As i was expecting, the band has already hit and surpassed their peak of creativity, but while the album may not be equal to its predecessors, it is still a very good work, and most importantly the band still remains faithful to who they are and what they've always played.

Hidden:

Quote Originally Posted by The Huss View Post
    Somehow missed all the good metal stuff this year. Yeah, will check "Albums of the year" lists
    If I can recommend some pretty trustful end of year lists, it's the ones done by the guys at Angry Metal Guy.

They tend to not suck up to the big names and not let themselves get taken away by trends. Their "Albums of the Month" are usually pretty relliable (though I don't always agree with them), and even though my favorite reviewer, the Angry Metal Guy himself, rarely writes anymore, he never fails to add his take on the best albums of the year.

Needless to say, their 2016 lists are not yet done, but you can go through their best of every month and you'll have a pretty approximate idea of what the final veredict will be.

(IMHO, it's been a pretty amazing year).

I would if I could, but aside from Anaal Nathrakh and Metallica I hardly had time to catch up to something new this year.

Speaking of, Spit Out the Bone is soooo riffy and nostalgic ;_; it has to be my number one pick for best song.
    Spoiler:

Metallica has some new stuff out? DAmn, I'm really behind, I just found out that Iron Maiden had a new album, Book of Souls, out last year.

Did I hear correctly that Megadeth and Testament also hoe something new? ... I gotta go look for the new stuff.

I think I posted them when I joined here because, well, they are one of the most intense metal bands I've ever discovered. Like Katafalk. May these awesome bands rest in piece

I don't like the term 'this will blow your mind' but, yeah, Watchtower is epic enough:

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information