• The Chameleons

3 15.00%
  • Other

4 20.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: post-punk is realy cool

Default post-punk is realy cool

By Post-Punk I mean like strictly the British sounding stuff that came around 78 or so until maybe 85? or so? Like not just any old stuff that came after punk, no Hardcore or Post-Hardcore or stuff.
    If they from another country and play in the style thats cool, like Interpol or Birthday Party.

Talk about whats cool here (so much of it).

And since a lot of people aren't as familiar as I've hoped with dese guysz, here's some examples and a better description

Post-Punk is like what folks like to call the way the Brits mutated and went all artsy with Punk after they got bored of The Clash and Sex Pistols, this happened pretty much right away. A good comparison to what happened was like in the 60's where all those good clean british invasion bands went psychedelic on us, it's the same sort of thing.
    The sounds generally stuck to some themes and stuff. They were almost all dark (U2 is a huge exception), they liked playing with guitars that are downtuned and scratchy sounding, they were some of the first Rockers to mesh Rock with electronics who weren't German or Brian Eno, they had a huge fondness for Dub music. They were heavily influenced by German Prog as well.

Mostly it started out super dark and artier, than like most things got poppier as it went though it also got more atmospheric and lush as it went too. It influenced a lot of mid-80's rock bands who went on to influence the bands that broke through to the mainstream in the early 90's. Especially in the UK. Even the Red Hot Chili Peppers have acknowledged Gang of Four for instance.

Has a couple of sub-types.

-Dance-Punk: Some of these guys decided to try their hand on meshing Disco and other stuff into their post-punk and it made for some really cool sounds. This became big again in the 00's too with bands like LCD Soundsystem.
    -Gothic Rock: Basically usually what people call the later Post-Punk when it got all romantic and atmospheric, though bands like Bauhaus did neither.
    -Post Punk Revival: Not a sound really, but a in the 00's a bunch of people revisited the sounds like Franz Ferdinand and The Killers and had hits. Though I think they're different from the original types to enough of a degree that they aren't just throwbacks.
    -Dream Pop: Kind of like the missing link between Post-Punk and Shoegaze, pretty much it's own thing but really closely related. Think Cocteau Twins.

Wire
    Joy Division/New Order
    Siouxie and the Banshees
    The Cure
    Gang of Four
    The Fall
    Bauhaus
    Echo and the Bunnymen
    The Birthday Party
    Public Image Ltd
    The Psychedelic Furs
    U2
    The Killing Joke
    The Chameleons

oh btw people who don't know what the fuck The Birthday Party is, it's Nick Cave's first band
    Last edited by Monkey King; June 29th, 2012 at 05:48 PM.

Default Re: post-punk is realy cool

Is it completely insane that, until I read your RYM reviews, I had not heard of a single one of those bands (aside from U2)?

3DS FC: 0619-3258-8245

Music forum = Mr. Evil comes running back to ARLONG PARK

Anyway, my vote's for New Order, been listening to them a lot recently and really clicking with it.

Joy Division are also great, and had more consistent quality than NO (of course they also had a lot less material in total).

But combining both into one option? No contest.
    Strung out in heaven's high, hitting an all-time low.

I don't even know half of those bands... :/ And I dunno much about the genre really. I'll say Pere Ubu anyway 'cause I love those guys. :)

Spoiler:

it's really feking hot here, that's for sure

Exactly how much different is new wave from post punk, Zephos?

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    Is it completely insane that, until I read your RYM reviews, I had not heard of a single one of those bands (aside from U2)?
    well theyre mostly british so thats a thing

though im surprised you didn't know the cure

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Evil View Post
    Music forum = Mr. Evil comes running back to ARLONG PARK

Anyway, my vote's for New Order, been listening to them a lot recently and really clicking with it.

Joy Division are also great, and had more consistent quality than NO (of course they also had a lot less material in total).

But combining both into one option? No contest.
    ive given it thoguht and i dont really think of them as different bands

they only changed their name cuz they agreed they'd do that if any member died or what have you, and then ian did so

am i the only one who thinks Movement is fucking awesome??

Quote Originally Posted by GuetaMinute View Post
    Exactly how much different is new wave from post punk, Zephos?
    i think of new wave as being like smart slightly post-modern pop rock that draws on sort of 50's stuff and likes keyboards, like blondie, costello, cars
    new wave is really tough to define though cuz bands like talking heads and the police don't really fit that but i dunno

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    well theyre mostly british so thats a thing

though im surprised you didn't know the cure
    Okay, yeah, I may have heard The Cure in passing a few times, but other than that, nothing.

Does Devo count as post-punk, cause I've really begun to dig their work.

I have never heard of any of these bands. Would Television count as post punk? They're classified as a bunch of stuff. American too.

Quote Originally Posted by WarshipArc View Post
    Sure! Why not! :D At least "Are We Not Men? We Are Devo!", right? :V Awesome album!

Quote Originally Posted by WarshipArc View Post
    From what I've heard they sound like New Wave, but I'm not intimate enough with them to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakonosolo View Post
    I have never heard of any of these bands. Would Television count as post punk? They're classified as a bunch of stuff. American too.
    Yeah sure, not exactly the most obvious example, but they kinda fit I'd say. There's no Brit superiroty going on or anything, it's just the genre is pretty defined by Brit sounds. But never let them brits forget we yanks invented Punk! They like to pretend otherwise!

Quote Originally Posted by Sakonosolo View Post
    Actually now that you're mentioning it, you said you liked Black Metal right? I don't know much about Black Metal but from what I do know you might really like the darker Post-Punk stuff a lot. Similar aesthetics even if the energy and arrangements are different.

it's really feking hot here, that's for sure

Television and XTC are new wave, or maybe post punk. Like I said, I'm not entirely sure what the difference is. From the list I recognize U2, Echo and the Bunnymen, Public Image Ltd, The Cure and Siouxie and the Banshees

One of my favorite bands started out as a big post punk (more new wave really but still) act that drew influence from The Police, U2, XTC, and Television. They later went on to explore other genres and subgenres such as alternative rock, shoegaze art rock, psychedelia and grunge

They're from Argentina and one of the most recognizable and important rock bands in Spanish Rock. I'm sure a lot of you have heard of them. They were the first true band from South America that gained fame and success outside of their local country and internationally.

Their second album was more 80s pop rock new wavey but their first album sounds completely different. It's not their best IMO but it's more post punk than most of their work

I recommend you guys check it out

There's also this band, just as famous, from Guadalajara, Mexico, who started out as sort of a carbon copy of The Cure but in Spanish called Caifanes

Their first album, once again, is more post punkey than their other work. This one in particular is really tough. I love it. Not the most popular song from the album

Now I know true post punk is strictly British but these two bands started out with huge inspiration and influence from those post punk acts so I think they count just as much

Do The B-52's count? If so, I'm all over them.

Quote Originally Posted by GuetaMinute
    Now I know true post punk is strictly British but these two bands started out with huge inspiration and influence from those post punk acts so I think they count just as much
    It's not, just that that's where it has homebase. There's stuff everywhere. Someone mentioned Pere Ubu earlier which is American, and the US also has Mission of Burma and muuuuuuch later the US spawned a ton of Dance Punk groups plus stuff like Interpol.
    Sonic Youth's first album is kind of post-punk too.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    Do The B-52's count? If so, I'm all over them.
    I'd say they're New Wave, but there's stuff about the guitars on the debut that does remind me of post-punk.

Well since Television counts

This is one of my favorite songs of all time. The whole album (besides the last song) is amazing. It's a shame that they only had three albums, and none of them were as good as their first.

Post-punk is a great little genre of music. It's got a unique detached feel that can be just pure sex on the ears. Honestly, though, I don't know much beyond the basics (which at least includes everything on the poll). Maybe this will have to be my next exploration...

The poll was a tough call, but I had to give it to the Chameleons. All of Strange Times is just SO GOOD. Every time I listen to it, the songs just glow more and more in my mind. They also stick in my mind much better than anything else on the list.

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

Out of those options, I think I'd likely go either between Joy Division or The Cure, leaning more towards The Cure as I tend to listen to them more than the former.

I'd vote for The Birthday Party but I'm not too familiar with Cave's early work, but I love the hell out of The Bad Seeds. That man is a god.

Quote Originally Posted by Takaho View Post
    Out of those options, I think I'd likely go either between Joy Division or The Cure, leaning more towards The Cure as I tend to listen to them more than the former.

I'd vote for The Birthday Party but I'm not too familiar with Cave's early work, but I love the hell out of The Bad Seeds. That man is a god.
    The Birthday Party is much harder and crazier than his Bad Seeds stuff, but I honestly prefer them (not a huge Bad Seeds fan unfortunately).

Here's a group that's sex on the ears:

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information