Thread: The "16chars of......."

Vergo Face: Successful! Waboshi's Avatar

Exclamation The "16chars of......."

Why can't we just spread the trick that one [spacebar] equals a character? The trick is simple: [spacebar] equals a character as long as it isn't the last character in the post, and when several [spaces] are "written" after each other they become one.

Like if I only want to post where I found something, for example "At youtube" I can simply write
    Spoiler:
    "At[spacebar][spacebar][spacebar][spacebar][spacebar][spacebar][spacebar][spacebar][spacebar][spacebar][spacebar][spacebar][spacebar][spacebar][spacebar]youtube."

It will appear as "At youtube." no need for "16chars of at youtube bro".

Try it yourself. Reply to this thread with posts that appear to have less than 16 characters.

Default Re: The "16chars of......."

I like it, bro!

The problem with raising awareness, however, is that the limit is in effect to reduce spam and worthless messages that are actually forbidden by the rules. We can't start spreading the word just to make posting easier for the masses, because that'd be breaking the rule and would eventually lead to chaos and to the subsequent worsening of the general posting quality. Most of those users who respect the rules and are smart enough to only use shorter messages in moderation know of this thing already, and those who are active enough will undoubtedly run into it at some point. The mods have been pretty lenient on this due to the fact that it isn't the most serious of our problems, but if we were to remove the limit altogether -- which is basically what you are suggesting, even if not directly -- it would surely become one.

You can always tell how it's done to people that wonder how others do it, but raising a commotion about it is not the wisest of ideas.
    In Loving Memory of Toraish, Rex Avium: http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t=40786 | 3DS Friend Code: 3196-4274-7836

Ok.

If you're regularly running into the problem where the forum is telling you that you need to make a longer post... then you're probably spamming, and... should make a longer post.

Two or three words takes care of it.

Also, its more fun to have tags at the end.

16 funs
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Thanks, Robby I really didnt know that trick, will be using (in the rare cases its used-tend to be too wordy) next time

ps, Robby, loved the hair on your avatar, is it from "Brave"?

Yes, from Brave.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Waboshi View Post
    Why can't we just spread the trick that one [spacebar] equals a character? The trick is simple: [spacebar] equals a character as long as it isn't the last character in the post, and when several [spaces] are "written" after each other they become one.

Like if I only want to post where I found something, for example "At youtube" I can simply write
    Spoiler:
    "At[spacebar][spacebar][spacebar][spacebar][spacebar][spacebar][spacebar][spacebar][spacebar][spacebar][spacebar][spacebar][spacebar][spacebar][spacebar]youtube."

It will appear as "At youtube." no need for "16chars of at youtube bro".

Try it yourself. Reply to this thread with posts that appear to have less than 16 characters.
    Thank you for revealing a trade secret and ruining all the fun, man.

Not a big secret

there was another girl, who was pretty lame, that joined about the same time as me; her first day, she went to pretty much very thread and posted one word replies. "cool" "i like that" "ha ha ha" every thread.

16 isn't so bad.

Lol .

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

But seriously, only the cool guys know this trick because we won't abuse it.

Vergo Face: Successful! Waboshi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RobbyBevard View Post
    If you're regularly running into the problem where the forum is telling you that you need to make a longer post... then you're probably spamming, and... should make a longer post.

Two or three words takes care of it.

Also, its more fun to have tags at the end.

16 funs
    Ok Ok I see I have gotten several replies. Personally I hardly run into the problem of "please lengthen your post with at least 16 characters", and my posts are hardly spam even if I say so myself.

Quote Originally Posted by captain usopp View Post
    there was another girl, who was pretty lame, that joined about the same time as me; her first day, she went to pretty much very thread and posted one word replies. "cool" "i like that" "ha ha ha" every thread.
    Is it better with "16chars of cool!!!" or "ha ha ha.16chars"?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

And yes I agree that this 16 is hardly a issue at all and that spreading it is absolutely not necessary but with this thread I have already spread it somewhat. So yeah, if you're going to post a short reply you might aswell keep it clean looking by doing this trick. The idea wasn't to spread a way to spam lol

i'm just saying. those people are out there. lets not encourage them. ;)

Hall of shame..?

I bet that still some don`t get the trick.
    The epic battle of BusterCall vs. Don is decided !!!
    And the results are 3:2 for Don..

Quote Originally Posted by RobbyBevard View Post
    Hall of shame..?
    Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Quote Originally Posted by Vanessa View Post
    Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
    16 s would have been enough; this is just overkill!
    Last edited by Nia; June 21st, 2012 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Actually, 14.

16 chars of go Hall of Shame
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Inferno View Post
    You are a treasure.

Thread Information