+ Reply to Thread
Page 237 of 342 FirstFirst ... 137 187 227 235 236 237 238 239 247 287 337 ... LastLast
Results 4,721 to 4,740 of 6830

Thread: Magi

Default Re: Magi

Chapter's out http://www.mangahere.co/manga/magi/v20/c237/

So yeah, Finalis are definitely the red lions

I suppose the final page is just supposed to tie it in a neat little bow, but I'm happy it's over. Hopefully? Please?
    In that case this flashback was a whopping 22 chapters. Wow. It's not that it didn't answer important questions.. I just didn't think it was that interesting and the answers that satisfying. It also got really confusing and didn't really have many characters I actually cared about. We knew Al Tharmen were the bad guys, it was easy to assume, no? I found Al Tharmen as villains a lot more interesting when I didn't know what "going against destiny" meant. But it's basically just simple good vs. evil now.

All I know is that I don't want this to happen with the Void Century flashback or I don't want the answers in Attack On Titan answered this simply. This is how not to do such an important part of the manga.

I don't think this flashback was well handled, it was long and there was a fair bit of exposition but I don't feel like I learnt anything or that I got satisfying answers to my questions. How the djins were created, how metal vessels were formed, how Al Tharmen managed to make it to the new world and indoctrinate Judar, no real explanation how they did it they just kind of did it.

At least it's all over now.

I thought this was a really good chapter, the way they set up the cycle of kings and everything felt really necessary when he explicitly pointed out how everything went to shit as soon as solomon wasn't present anymore really made sense and the last few pages with aladdin kinda made me want to do a magi re-read. As a whole this flashback has been kinda slow and some of the exposition could have left a bit more to desire but overall I was pleased with it and the characters we got to know and I think it sets up a few possible major future plot points and important character developments in present time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Medical Orbit View Post
    Mihawk can see everything within a great distance with his hawk eyes, but can he see why kids love the taste of Cinnamon Toast Crunch?

Too many triple eye reaction shots for my taste, but I did sort of like the rest of it.

Did we already know that the reason Ugo let Aladdin into the world was because he threw a tantrum and started destroying the sacred palace?

Thank God it's finally over.

And what can I say about it? A completely underwhelming flashback destroying any expectations I might have had (destroying them, obliterating them but certainly not meeting them). Ohtaka tried to go into too many directions at once, realized that things wouldn't work out and turned to different plot points. Sadly events that weren't really needed were stressed and overly developed while those in dire need of more exposition time, of more explanations, were left standing in the rain; together with those Magi fans drooling at the beginning of this very flashback, eager to see their numerous questions answered...
    Speaking of questions! The 'big' ones were answered in text form accompanied by small drawings. Great. That's exactly what I wanted to see. But whatever. Rushed as they may be, they're answered at least. Those loose threads were taken care of and now we can hopefully go back to Magi's strengths -- adventure, silliness, a charming cast, and just the right amount of emotion to click with the reader.

It's really frustrating, you know? The whole Alma Toran story part was shrouded in mystery and served as that one mystical event that fans would speculate about. That one would imagine as the peak of Ohtaka's storytelling. After reading it you'd look back on laughter, tears, sympathizing and feeling with the cast, and ultimately you'd have no choice left but to love it. Where's that feeling? I read the whole arc yet I'm left feeling nothing but frustration and anger. All the answers, all the characters, virtually all of the fucking story felt like an insult when looking back at the manga's big moments. Whether it's the editor or Ohtaka herself; someone fucked up big time.
    Yeah, I'm clearly ranting here and, frankly, the flashback's not worth the wasted energy. I'll just go and read Sinbad instead.

Quote Originally Posted by benjamminbrown View Post
    Too many triple eye reaction shots for my taste, but I did sort of like the rest of it.

Did we already know that the reason Ugo let Aladdin into the world was because he threw a tantrum and started destroying the sacred palace?
    I don't think we ever saw Aladdin doing anything destructive before that. Didn't the series start with the mystery conversation? Like we didn't know what Aladdin had asked of Ugo for many chapters.

And here I felt bad for just skimming over the flashback. Sounds like I didn't miss anything great.
    Hopefully I'll get through the main story from now just fine without knowing all details.
    "Going against the flow? Just means you're swimming in place. One day you are too tired to paddle, and suddenly you drown. Whole thing was pointless and now you're dead THE END. Now, going with the flow is where it's at - and that's the dandy way to live."
    - Space Dandy

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Baroness View Post
    I don't think we ever saw Aladdin doing anything destructive before that. Didn't the series start with the mystery conversation? Like we didn't know what Aladdin had asked of Ugo for many chapters.
    Yeah, that's how I remember it starting, but throughout the whole story we've also had several little flashes of his experience in the palace before starting his journey. IIRC, one of these showed the palace crumbling, and maybe even gave the impression that Ugo thought he had kept him there for too long.

But, as far as I can remember, that same flash didn't really explain why the palace was falling apart. It's interesting to see now that it was Aladdin's fault.

Or maybe I'm not remembering any of this correctly. Perhaps I should give Magi a reread.

Quote Originally Posted by Enzeru View Post
    Thank God it's finally over.

And what can I say about it? A completely underwhelming flashback destroying any expectations I might have had (destroying them, obliterating them but certainly not meeting them). Ohtaka tried to go into too many directions at once, realized that things wouldn't work out and turned to different plot points. Sadly events that weren't really needed were stressed and overly developed while those in dire need of more exposition time, of more explanations, were left standing in the rain; together with those Magi fans drooling at the beginning of this very flashback, eager to see their numerous questions answered...
    Speaking of questions! The 'big' ones were answered in text form accompanied by small drawings. Great. That's exactly what I wanted to see. But whatever. Rushed as they may be, they're answered at least. Those loose threads were taken care of and now we can hopefully go back to Magi's strengths -- adventure, silliness, a charming cast, and just the right amount of emotion to click with the reader.

It's really frustrating, you know? The whole Alma Toran story part was shrouded in mystery and served as that one mystical event that fans would speculate about. That one would imagine as the peak of Ohtaka's storytelling. After reading it you'd look back on laughter, tears, sympathizing and feeling with the cast, and ultimately you'd have no choice left but to love it. Where's that feeling? I read the whole arc yet I'm left feeling nothing but frustration and anger. All the answers, all the characters, virtually all of the fucking story felt like an insult when looking back at the manga's big moments. Whether it's the editor or Ohtaka herself; someone fucked up big time.
    Yeah, I'm clearly ranting here and, frankly, the flashback's not worth the wasted energy. I'll just go and read Sinbad instead.
    I just want another adventure with Alladin, Alibaba and Mor. You know, the good and interesting characters. More Alibaba and Mor, but still those three are the best together, maybe add Hakuryuu in there.

Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer

What did the Origin Dragon contribute to the story again?

It's most likely Yunan.
    3DS FC: 0087 - 2971 - 9910

My only big disappointment is the djinn / metal vessel "explanation".

I liked the explanation of why Aladdin is a magi, which in turn explains how come Gyokuen (Arba) knew him. Sheba da best.
    3DS FC: 0087 - 2971 - 9910

I'm up to episode 20 now.

So Sinbad... LET himself be infected with the Al Thamen blood curse? So it had nothing to do with the villain being COMPETENT? Sinbad was just screwing with them all to boost the urgency of the situation?

And the only reason Sinbad can't further assist with this situation is because he's so wonderful and magnificently powerful that he isn't allowed to enter the dangerous dungeons?

... I hate that I can't swear on this site SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much.

I'm trying to think of a bright side. But there isn't one.
    Last edited by gingerninja666; September 3rd, 2014 at 03:20 PM.
    "Contests fought between two masters are decided instantly. An invisible battle is now raging between the two of them." Lelouch vs Schneizel, Code Geass

I actually like that Sinbad is actually a strong character. And why shouldn't he be? He's created a kingdom, he's someone people look up to or fear. I also like that he can't just stockpile Djinn or metal vessals like a crazy warlord. I thought it was a good way to not just have a character who was supposed to be notable just keep amassing power and weapons through dungeon crawling, which would have been a cakewalk for him after a point. But he's still far from perfect or whatever.

I actually like that Sinbad is actually a strong character. And why shouldn't he be? He's created a kingdom, he's someone people look up to or fear. I also like that he can't just stockpile Djinn or metal vessals like a crazy warlord. I thought it was a good way to not just have a character who was supposed to be notable just keep amassing power and weapons through dungeon crawling, which would have been a cakewalk for him after a point. But he's still far from perfect or whatever.
    Well, that's good for you guys. You guys actually like him. I have no idea what in the name of all things holy I'm meant to do about it. I despise characters like this. And it sucks because I don't hate Sinbad as a character. I actually like a lot of his character bits. He's just awful when I'm actually trying to believe the villains stand a chance of winning and believing that they're a genuine threat. That is KEY for me to enjoy any show that has a conflict involving villains and factions in it.

If this was a slice of life anime then that would be one thing. But no... it isn't.
    "Contests fought between two masters are decided instantly. An invisible battle is now raging between the two of them." Lelouch vs Schneizel, Code Geass

Quote Originally Posted by gingerninja666 View Post
    Well, that's good for you guys. You guys actually like him. I have no idea what in the name of all things holy I'm meant to do about it. I despise characters like this. And it sucks because I don't hate Sinbad as a character. I actually like a lot of his character bits. He's just awful when I'm actually trying to believe the villains stand a chance of winning and believing that they're a genuine threat. That is KEY for me to enjoy any show that has a conflict involving villains and factions in it.

If this was a slice of life anime then that would be one thing. But no... it isn't.
    Everytime you post it's pretty much to almost always complain about Sinbad lol. But I feel you're focusing too much on "what if's" from him. I'm not saying you have no right to post something that irks you about the story. I mean you're still watching it right? And you recently got into it. It's not like you hate it overall right? But then again you seem a tad upset on things you are imagine that are going to or not going to happen >_>...This story isn't supposed to be solely focused on Sinbad doing heroic things or being overly awesome. It's about Aladdin and Alibaba and them growing stronger to face what's ahead.

That said. You're still kinda in the early parts for everything to start winding up. Sooo uh. Keep at it I guess?

Everytime you post it's pretty much to almost always complain about Sinbad lol. But I feel you're focusing too much on "what if's" from him. I'm not saying you have no right to post something that irks you about the story. I mean you're still watching it right? And you recently got into it. It's not like you hate it overall right? But then again you seem a tad upset on things you are imagine that are going to or not going to happen >_>...This story isn't supposed to be solely focused on Sinbad doing heroic things or being overly awesome. It's about Aladdin and Alibaba and them growing stronger to face what's ahead.

That said. You're still kinda in the early parts for everything to start winding up. Sooo uh. Keep at it I guess?

I don't think I imagined Sinbad saying that he could've easily pushed the curse away but intentionally didn't. That directly undercuts a villain I'm supposed to believe is dangerous. Now, there's a very simple way of having a villain be dangerous and have a stronger character not undercut him. Don't put that stronger character in your arc. Whitebeard wasn't in the Alabasta or Skypeia arcs.

Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer

Thumbs down Re: Magi

You should probably just ignore it.

If the good guys or protagonists don't get beat up the entirety of the series then he goes on a RANTpage.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information