View Poll Results: Which house were you sorted into?

Voters
116. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gryffindor

17 14.66%
  • Hufflepuff

26 22.41%
  • Ravenclaw

40 34.48%
  • Slytherin

33 28.45%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 41 of 42 FirstFirst ... 31 39 40 41 42 LastLast

Thread: Harry Potter and the Fantastic Beasts 2: Grindelwald Boogaloo

Default Re: Harry Potter and the Fantastic Beasts 2: Grindelwald Boogaloo

Quote Originally Posted by andre View Post
    One great thing about Sanderson is that he keeps readers updated regularly with his progress on books and where and when he thinks he'll start and finish other series. Basically the opposite of Rothfuss (which is sad, since I prefer pat's writing.)
    People get on George Martin's case for taking so long on the next Thrones book, but Rothfus has been working on the last Kingkiller book for just about as long, since 2011. At least Martin has old work, Rothfuss its his first series out.And it's just.... come on.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Altough I've yet to read it, Rothfus published The Slow Regard of Silent Things in 2014, so there is a bit more of the Kingkiller world avaliable.

And it "bothers" me not having that third book to read but at least you know he uses his time well, his Worldbuilders organization seems to be growing every year.
    (also, I love to see him play some D&D, that's actually where I heard of him first)

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    People get on George Martin's case for taking so long on the next Thrones book, but Rothfus has been working on the last Kingkiller book for just about as long, since 2011. At least Martin has old work, Rothfuss its his first series out.And it's just.... come on.
    Rothfuss also said that he had the whole trilogy already written when the first one came out, along with being 25 years younger than Martin. If he had never said that, I may not have read the books. I don't regret it, but I wish he was a little more forthcoming about where he is in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by FolhaS View Post
    Altough I've yet to read it, Rothfus published The Slow Regard of Silent Things in 2014, so there is a bit more of the Kingkiller world avaliable.
    By that measuring stick Martin has written tv episodes and done the history of westeros thing that nobody actually wanted and several short things.

Stories take the time they take. Authors have every right to spend 20 years writing their book if they need to. LotR took that long, so do some Steven King books. Hunchback of Notre Dame took a while. Whatever. The author is not our bitch, they can't be chained to a desk, living their life is where the story comes from, etc. Better to have a slow good product than a rushed forever bad one.

But when its an ongoing narrative, with cliffhangers, they HAVE made a bit of a promise to their readers. "You're supporting me, and I didn't finish the story here. I know basically where it is going and will do my best to get you the rest of the story as expediently as possible."

If GOT was done, absolutely no one would care if Martin took five years or twenty for his next book. That's fine. And honestly, five years for something as many pages, plot-threads and narratives as one of those books? That's perfectly fine. Those SHOULD take five years to write, anything that dense and complicated, that's reasonable anyone expecting them in two years is silly, even Sanderson takes longer than that on his *big* books.

But when they hit 7 years, going on 8, with no end in sight... it's starts to be a bit of a strain, and unfair to the audience. 2 or 3 years is amazing. 5 is reasonable. 7 is about the upper limit for what is fair for an ongoing narrative. Past that point? Why should the audience keep supporting you if you're not returning the favor.

I'll almost always side with the author over the entitled fandom, but there is a breaking point and they've sort of reached it.

(ANd I'm one of the folks that was following GoT before it was cool, back when it was only two books and he WAS getting them out every two years. And then the Daenarys knot made the next book take five years, and its companion six years... and that was rough but okay because he'd originally planned to just timeskip all of that and now the work was done... the delay was because he'd had no plan for that part. but now we're 8 years later....)
    Last edited by Robby; January 15th, 2019 at 05:58 PM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Checked at Barnes and Noble they don't have the begining of the mistborn trilogy or the song of lioness, I'll check with my Library tomorrow to see if it's there

anyone ever hear of a book called "A darker shade of magic"? I just googled good worldbuilding in books and it was the first one to come up, and it seems to be set in Victorian London, which I'm a huge fan of (can't wait for Joss Whedon's new scifi HBO series "the nevers" because it's also in this setting..... and you know it's Joss Whedon)
    Last edited by Shiebs; January 15th, 2019 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    By that measuring stick Martin has written tv episodes and done the history of westeros thing that nobody actually wanted and several short things.

Stories take the time they take. Authors have every right to spend 20 years writing their book if they need to. LotR took that long, so do some Steven King books. Hunchback of Notre Dame took a while. Whatever. The author is not our bitch, they can't be chained to a desk, living their life is where the story comes from, etc. Better to have a slow good product than a rushed forever bad one.

But when its an ongoing narrative, with cliffhangers, they HAVE made a bit of a promise to their readers. "You're supporting me, and I didn't finish the story here. I know basically where it is going and will do my best to get you the rest of the story as expediently as possible."

If GOT was done, absolutely no one would care if Martin took five years or twenty for his next book. That's fine. And honestly, five years for something as many pages, plot-threads and narratives as one of those books? That's perfectly fine. Those SHOULD take five years to write, anything that dense and complicated, that's reasonable anyone expecting them in two years is silly, even Sanderson takes longer than that on his *big* books.

But when they hit 7 years, going on 8, with no end in sight... it's starts to be a bit of a strain, and unfair to the audience. 2 or 3 years is amazing. 5 is reasonable. 7 is about the upper limit for what is fair for an ongoing narrative. Past that point? Why should the audience keep supporting you if you're not returning the favor.

I'll almost always side with the author over the entitled fandom, but there is a breaking point and they've sort of reached it.

(ANd I'm one of the folks that was following GoT before it was cool, back when it was only two books and he WAS getting them out every two years. And then the Daenarys knot made the next book take five years, and its companion six years... and that was rough but okay because he'd originally planned to just timeskip all of that and now the work was done... the delay was because he'd had no plan for that part. but now we're 8 years later....)
    And I support Martin's endeavours like I support Rothfus'.
    The fact that I follow GoT mainly with the tv show (I've only read the first couple of books) certainly helps, since the show only took a one year break. And I do sympathize with the fans eagerly waiting for the next book, 8 years is a long time, but I don't criticize Martin that much precisely because he's getting other stuff done.

This of course because I'm assuming the next book will be as good as the previous ones and follows Shigeru Myamoto's motto: a delayed game is eventually good but a rushed game is bad forever.
    If the last Fire and Ice books are bad then Martin really should've used his time to work on the books and not on other projects. Same thing for the final Kingkiller book.

I tell myself 8 years isn't that bad. Why? Because there's a manga called Glass Mask that was published in fucking 1975, and it STILL HASN'T FINISHED. Not because it's been going the entire time, but apparently the manga-ka fucking found Christ or some bullshit and would suspend the manga for years so she could concentrate on that instead.

She promises it'll be finished, but never says WHEN.

and follows Shigeru Myamoto's motto: a delayed game is eventually good but a rushed game is bad forever.
    I already said that exact thing. "The author is not our bitch, they can't be chained to a desk, living their life is where the story comes from, etc. Better to have a slow good product than a rushed forever bad one."

There is a threshhold point though where the return of investment on extra time put into development doesn't outweigh the wait. An author/artist can get caught up in their own head and second guess things too much and dwell on something and obsess well past the point anyone else would actually notice.

I can paint a face in 10 minutes. I paint a really good face in an hour. And I can paint the same face for five hours and add tiny details and zoom in and adjust the hightlights and add tiny little extra shadows and tweaks endlessly and the actual quality just isn't significantly any better for the extra time and effort. Same with stories, you can edit and re-edit and rework them, but eventually its just time to move on to the next one.

The big problem Martin has fallen into is he thinks the story has to be perfect. The early books were just as complicated as the later, but he was moving through the story without any expectations on him. Once the series got popular, that's when he slowed down and started having massive writers block, because everything has to be perfect and super good... and of course he can't make real progress like that.

If the last Fire and Ice books are bad then Martin really should've used his time to work on the books and not on other projects. Same thing for the final Kingkiller book.
    The fourth and fifth books were already below par compared to the previous books. And they're the ones that took five and six years.
    Last edited by Robby; January 15th, 2019 at 10:02 PM.

I see what you mean.
    Like I said, I follow GoT the tv show, which, let's be honest, also took somewhat of a dip in story quality ever since they caught up with the books, so I wasn't awere that the last couple of books were less well received.
    I feel you pain, brother.

So do readers consider Snape to be a good person at the end deathly Hallows(the last book)?

I consider Snape to be human. Good and bad sides. Thankfully just good enough to let his love (for Lily) guide his actions more than his hate.

He might not be evil, per se... But he is a grade-A asshat who really should not be allowed to teach children. Need I remind people of that time when he tried to feed Neville's toad actual poison, and then detracted points from Griffyndor when said toad didn't die because "Dammit Miss Granger I told you you weren't allowed to help Longbottom out!"
    That is not something a good person would do. And as far as I'm aware, Frank and Alice Longbottom or Hermione's muggle dentist parents never made his life miserable as a child.

The Tetsuo Ishimaru of AP Gizmo's Avatar

Snape despised Longbottom because he could’ve been chosen as the chosen child instead of Potter if Voldemort chose differently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightwing
    Stay focused, cause right now you have a decision to make. Are you a man perpetually looking back at what he’s lost, or a man looking forward, to what he might become?

Snape is a ridiculously petty shit of a man. Alan Rickman has likely softened people greatly on the character, but I remember him as the guy who would burst into a hospital room literally frothing at the mouth in anger at not getting his schoolyard bully executed

I grew a soft spot for Snape for a while after book 7. And then I remembered all the rest of shit he pulled off, even when it wasn't needed and cold angry indifference was enough.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

The Mad Moiselle BellisarioFaith's Avatar

Yeah, I agree with others here for the most part. Nice that he turned out to be on the side of good and helped save the world and all that, and really was helping Harry, but he was still an asshole and terrible teacher who IRL probably would've, and absolutely should've, been fired a long time ago for bullying his students and not even bothering to hide or reign in his bias and favoritism towards some students vs others. (The entire thing about him bullying students is even worse when you remember how he hated James and Sirius for bullying him as a kid.)

Though it seems like there are tons of fans out there who, after the reveal, pretty much forgave Snape for every bad thing he ever did and act like he's a saint. (Harry naming his son after him probably did not help with that, lulz.) Enough that Rowling has had to remind people before that he isn't a saint and was still a pretty vindictive guy.
    Hidden:

He was hardly a nice guy and ended up paying for his bad actions in death. But that's all just part of being a (bad) human.

Quote Originally Posted by desa View Post
    So do readers consider Snape to be a good person at the end deathly Hallows(the last book)?
    HELL NO.

Yeah, he had a bit of a gut punch of a motivation and Harry obviously forgave him because of it, and he did good things while playing a double agent and being forced to do things he didn't, but... but he was a complete monster that terrorized the children under him and inflicted way more cruelty and suffering than he needed to. And the shit he pulled on Lupin? And he tried to get Sirius killed even after he knew he was innocent. His overall pettiness and grudge holding?

https://youtu.be/M3iJt7oMCoA?list=PL...MbMxQM_6&t=697
    Last edited by Robby; June 14th, 2019 at 10:05 PM.

And he was an incel

When considering Snape's character, one should also not forget that he willingly served under a fascist mass murderer like Voldemort until he murdered the girl Snape was in love with. So yeah, while Snape ended up working on the side of good, he was certainly not a decent human being in anyway, highlighted by the fact how he not only treated Harry but also other kids under his care like Neville. Some people are way too willing to give him pass, but that's mostly due to the way the end of the final book manipulated our perspective of him. Harry calls him the bravest man he ever knew in the final chapter, which is overstating things a lot.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information