View Poll Results: Which house were you sorted into?

Voters
116. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gryffindor

17 14.66%
  • Hufflepuff

26 22.41%
  • Ravenclaw

40 34.48%
  • Slytherin

33 28.45%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 41 FirstFirst ... 29 37 38 39 40 41 LastLast

Thread: Harry Potter and the Fantastic Beasts 2: Grindelwald Boogaloo

Default Re: Harry Potter and the Fantastic Beasts 2: Grindelwald Boogaloo

Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    Damn Robby .
    It's not a insult. Every single role he's done since Pirates has been an over the top crazy eccentric person. It's why you get him now, because theoretically him in that kind of role draws in an audience. (not actually the case anymore but studios still think it is)

Same way you get Jim Carrey to be a crazy wacky guy and not a serious character, or you get Clint Eastwood to be a hardened badass.

If you aren't going for an over the top weirdo, then why use Depp, especially with all the baggage he has now? If you're doing a more serious villain, get a more serious actor.

I'm not saying that he did a bad job mind you; far from it as his Grindelwald is one of the best things about the film and there's a scene that's really good in the middle that even describing it would spoil.

It's just not what you'd expect.
    Complicating things since 2009.

He's a really charismatic actors. It's a shame he doesn't do more regular, subdued films. I don't remember if I liked Public Enemies; I just remember that he fit the look of a gangster very well. Those king of roles.

Up until now, I had absolutely no idea what the plot of this thing even was (and "Crimes of Grindelwald" is such a noncommittal vague-ass title). But based on reviews, it appears that it revolves around everyone trying to track down and/or recruit Credence because of his Super Angst powers, while some fantastic beasts show up every now and again in a disconnected way. Which is like...the exact plot of the first one???

Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    Up until now, I had absolutely no idea what the plot of this thing even was (and "Crimes of Grindelwald" is such a noncommittal vague-ass title). But based on reviews, it appears that it revolves around everyone trying to track down and/or recruit Credence because of his Super Angst powers, while some fantastic beasts show up every now and again in a disconnected way. Which is like...the exact plot of the first one???
    Basically, the first film they were legit trying to do a Fantastic Beasts movie.

Now they're trying to do the Harry Potter prequel, but they're stuck with the FB characters as leads despite them having nothing to do with the other stuff.

That seems like a pretty fitting description of what's going on and what the film's problem is. Maybe they should have approached this similar to what Star Wars or Marvel are doing: have different films that all take part in the Potterverse (is that a thing?) but tell different stories with different characters. Then you can have your Fantastic Beast films and your Grindelwald plotlines told separately instead of forcing them to be one single story. And you could tell different storylines, too, like a sort of prequel that features Harry's parents in their younger days as member of the Order of Phoenix, together with Sirius and Lupin. There is a lot of potential here, and I think the fans would love it. I know we are all getting a little sick of everybody trying to emulate Marvel's success by creating their own cinematic universe, but imo it would have been an interesting approach in this case.

Discovered Stowaway MajinArekkusu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    But why hire Johnny Depp (at this point in his career) if you're NOT going to have him chew the scenery? That's why you hire Depp. Maybe not 20 years ago, but its why you get him post-Pirates.
    Nah, I had enough of his Sparrow like crazy roles, let him do some of his older acting.^^
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Man some of these retcons.

Discovered Stowaway MajinArekkusu's Avatar

With this movie it seems Rowling is trying to make her version of the star wars prequels. And all the baggage that comes with it.

First Fantastic Beasts concentrated on the fun adventure of a loveable group of heroes led by Newt with the plot around credence and Grindelwald being in the background, while the second one is just full on plot, plot, plot, expositions and retcons galore. Introducing a ton of characters nobody gives a shit about while giving less time to the people we liked from the first movie.

Also while I liked Depp in the movie, he does nothing ordinary in the role and they should have just kept Colin Farrel, he was great.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Slim Shady is my lady Medical Orbit's Avatar
    Riding on a dolphin, doing flips and shit

Quote Originally Posted by choperman View Post
    Spoiler:

Did anyone think Queenie charming Jacob was messed up? and didn't get taken anywhere near seriously enough? He just sort of shrugged it off and then made it seem like it was his fault things didn't work out.... like what she did was fucked up and wrong on so many levels

and that's not even getting into all the rape shit at the end of the movie, I mean aren't kids supposed to be watching this too? Kind of Dark

the ending was definitely the best part... although I liked the escape scene but had a hard time telling what was going on

and of course the reasoning why Dumbledore couldn't face off against Grindlewald (and I loved that Newt didn't beat him and that Grindlewald vs Dumbledore will definitely happen)

and final fight scene was atrocious, like cgi at it's worst

and why does Queenie think Grindlewald will allow her to marry a muggle??? like he's all about death and supremacy over Muggles so why does she buy into his routine
    I'm late to seeing this thread and post, but

Spoiler:
    I always found Queenie unnerving since the first movie. Part of it is her general tone (both the way she words things and how her voice sounds) that gave me the impression of a manipulative person with a lot of secrets.

Then there's her mind-reading. I don't remember if it was stated whether she can choose to "turn off" her mind reading or if it's something her brain does automatically and she can't control it. I feel like it was stated early on and I don't remember which it was. But I've always found mind-reading to be a creepy ability, and an invasion of privacy. I wouldn't want to live in a world where people have the power to read my mind, especially since my thoughts can be disorganized and sometimes don't even make sense to me. I've seen/heard people fantasize about "I'd love to be able to read minds" so they can know what others really think of them, and it really disturbs me that they prioritize that over other peoples' privacy. Your mind is the only completely private place you have.

I'm not surprised she would do something like that given the impression I already had of her, but charming Jacob was absolutely creepy and messed up.
    I accept Jesus Burgess as my Lord and Savior

Quote Originally Posted by Medical Orbit View Post
    I'm late to seeing this thread and post, but

Spoiler:
    I always found Queenie unnerving since the first movie. Part of it is her general tone (both the way she words things and how her voice sounds) that gave me the impression of a manipulative person with a lot of secrets.

Then there's her mind-reading. I don't remember if it was stated whether she can choose to "turn off" her mind reading or if it's something her brain does automatically and she can't control it. I feel like it was stated early on and I don't remember which it was. But I've always found mind-reading to be a creepy ability, and an invasion of privacy. I wouldn't want to live in a world where people have the power to read my mind, especially since my thoughts can be disorganized and sometimes don't even make sense to me. I've seen/heard people fantasize about "I'd love to be able to read minds" so they can know what others really think of them, and it really disturbs me that they prioritize that over other peoples' privacy. Your mind is the only completely private place you have.

I'm not surprised she would do something like that given the impression I already had of her, but charming Jacob was absolutely creepy and messed up.
    Hey man this is choperman, I've just changed profiles

I'm glad someone agrees with me that she's a shitty person lol

So, in case y'all didn't hear, it is now official canon that wizards used to just drop deuces wherever they stood and then just magic them away.

https://twitter.com/pottermore/statu...42428105998336

Desire's Bland Moon puffing.cinema's Avatar

wasn't the vanish spell supposed to be hard to pull out? I can't help but to image first years asking for help cuz they are literally full of shit

The wonderful story of vanishing turds in the past. Come on JK, at the very least vanishing chamberpots!
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

You know, the longer this goes on, the more I feel this is the one time we DON'T want the author to keep expanding the world and telling us more.

It's like everything since the epilogue in book 7 has just made things worse.

So I though wizards only have like 3 forbidden curses and only one of them is deadly. And then Grindelwald casually summons some blue flames which incinerate multiple people. But at least you can defend against them by waving your wand back and forth.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    You know, the longer this goes on, the more I feel this is the one time we DON'T want the author to keep expanding the world and telling us more.

It's like everything since the epilogue in book 7 has just made things worse.
    Hey, I liked all of the American magi stuff she wrote.

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    Hey, I liked all of the American magi stuff she wrote.
    The native american skinchanger stuff is... kind of bad on her.

And Cursed Child which she officially approved as the canonical sequel.

And apparently poop in the halls.

I forgot about the native american stuff. Oh well, I guess a Brit can't understand all American sensitivities.

But the Cursed Child and poop in the halls has nothing to do with Ilvermorny.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information