View Poll Results: Which house were you sorted into?

Voters
116. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gryffindor

17 14.66%
  • Hufflepuff

26 22.41%
  • Ravenclaw

40 34.48%
  • Slytherin

33 28.45%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 38 of 42 FirstFirst ... 28 36 37 38 39 40 ... LastLast

Thread: Harry Potter and the Fantastic Beasts 2: Grindelwald Boogaloo

Default Re: Harry Potter and the Fantastic Beasts 2: Grindelwald Boogaloo

No interest unless PS1 Hagrid gets featured in some form.

Probably just his ancestors. His dad's side. Do we know when the giant squid got to the lake?

In my college we had a hall of fame of failures. Sure there were tons of successes, but for every world class chemical engineer, we had the big exploded lab (no casualties), for every world class mechanical engineer we had the "perpetual motion machine" that takes a whole block, and obviously doesn't work, for every world class biologist, we have a biohazzard lake of invasive algae species gone wild, and for every world class computer engineer we have the god awful in house systems made with custom frameworks that are unmaintanable and unfathomable.

Hadgrid left some legacies like that in Hogwarts, most notable of all, Aragog. I want to know if other teachers or faculties did something like that, not counting the basilisk, as that worked EXACTLY as intended.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

For every world class architect, we have a very nice garden/statue? that is supposed to change with the four seasons, in a tropical country (back when we had money, the gardners just swaped some of the plants with others with the appropiate color, now is just weeds and 7 dying pines, with 5 alive ones)
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Based on the reviews, Crimes of Grindelwald sounds like everything wrong with current franchise filmmaking. Like a bunch of HP-lore wiki entries got jumbled up and morphed into a movie, without much regards for stuff like being a, you know, enjoyable narrative in its own right.

The first Fantastic Beasts movie was fun. This doesn't look quite as fun.

Except for seeing Jude Law as young Dumbledore.

Wow. I haven't seen Bob hate a movie like this in some time. (Maybe Pixels?) He always tries to find the good things, half star reviews are rare from him.

Pretty much lines up with a lot of the other reviews that its a wikipedia article first, and a movie second. Currently at 42% on rotten tomatoes.

Also not really a spoiler because I have no details but kinda
    Spoiler:
    Apparently it ends with zero resolution to this film's plot, and the actual ending to this film will be in the start of the next one.

We've got a Desolation of Smaug thing going on here.

Yikes.

Discovered Stowaway MajinArekkusu's Avatar

Looks as if though Rowling should get somebody to go over her scripts and make an actual good script for a movie out of them, instead of a crammed assembly of different plot ideas.

Also 3 more movies to then finally see Dumbedore and Grindelwald fight?

These new characters simply aren't as fun to follow on their journey as Ron, Harry and Hermione were. And this magical feeling of the original movies is missing. Could be my nostalgia though.

Fantastic( and pretty irrelevant ) Beasts movies could end up being the prequels to harry potter 1-8s original star wars trilogy.
    To support Viz and SHUEISHAs MANGA Plus service hosting all Jump manga for FREE, WORLDWIDE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post

Spoiler:
    Apparently it ends with zero resolution to this film's plot, and the actual ending to this film will be in the start of the next one.

Yikes.
    Spoiler:
    Any time I hear about multiple movies based on one small book, I get this vibe, and unfortunately, I've never been wrong. Thanks Hunger Games Part 3 and the Hobbit films for starting this (Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows to a lesser extent. It was a big book and I didn't feel there was much fluff added for the sake of it), and thanks everyone who went to see all of them. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post

Wow. I haven't seen Bob hate a movie like this in some time. (Maybe Pixels?) He always tries to find the good things, half star reviews are rare from him.

Pretty much lines up with a lot of the other reviews that its a wikipedia article first, and a movie second. Currently at 42% on rotten tomatoes.

Also not really a spoiler because I have no details but kinda
    Spoiler:

Yikes.
    OUCH. That's bad.

Did Rowling write the screenplay for this? If she did, it's a blot on her record.

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    Did Rowling write the screenplay for this? If she did, it's a blot on her record.
    She is officially credited for it, yes. Plus producer credit.

Her writing these movies was always a bad idea. Her strength is whimsy and character and slice of life moments.... all the stuff that inevitably gets cut out of the films... while her weakness was always action sequences... the things the films tend to dwell on.

Add in the fact that while she's great at making up locations, she's bad at actual worldbuilding minutia... and these films are apparently now based entirely around worldbuilding

So it's kind of a bad mix all around.

I saw the movie. So as someone who has never read the Harry Potter books, but did see all the movies and enjoyed them (didn't fall in the love with them, but enjoyed them), even the first Fantastic Beasts film, which I thought was a nice leisurely-paced, somewhat whimsical popcorn flick, I thought Crimes of Grindelwald was...okay...I guess?

Spoiler:
    I mean, there's things about it I enjoyed. There are some likeable characters and cool visuals, but the overall story is weirdly complicated and falls pretty flat. The best analogy I can make is that (mos of) the cogs are all constructed well, but they don't mesh together. And really I think it mostly comes down to the fact that this movie (and the previous movie) for that matter, feel like two different movies fighting against each other.

On one hand, you've got, ostensibly, the A plot with a silly eccentric, socially awkward guy who likes to take care of animals. And then for the B plot you've got this honestly really bleak and dark story involving a magic supremacist (whose posse kills a toddler) and a young man suffering from an identity crisis whose backstory involves family betrayals and a drowned infant. You know, for kids! And whereas with the first one, the B plot, while noticeably dark, wasn't too obstructive to detract from Newt's silly animal adventures, Crimes of Grindelwald is, fittingly enough, pretty much all about Grindelwald and Credence with Newt and co. barely having any role in it, especially in the third act.

And to add on top of that, this movie makes it all the more clear that Newt and Grindelwald don't really work in a protagonist/antagonist relationship. As I said before, Newt is a silly socially awkward guy who loves animals and despises conformity, and Grindelwald is just proto-Voldemort who wants to destroy and/or rule over non-Magics. So...what's the connection? They don't really contrast each other thematically, nor do they have any personal relationship with each other. Hell, I'm not even sure they've spoken to each other. It's like the writers just felt like they needed a villain in the story, even if it didn't make any sense. I don't know, I would've been fine with just the silly animal guy going on adventures. You don't necessarily need a villain (but this is Hollywood, so of course they don't think that way).

So yeah, that's pretty much my thoughts on it. I saw it, I don't have any real desire to see it again. And if the next Fantastic Beasts movie wants to be the last one, I will not object to it.

To support Viz and SHUEISHAs MANGA Plus service hosting all Jump manga for FREE, WORLDWIDE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Spoiler:

Did anyone think Queenie charming Jacob was messed up? and didn't get taken anywhere near seriously enough? He just sort of shrugged it off and then made it seem like it was his fault things didn't work out.... like what she did was fucked up and wrong on so many levels

and that's not even getting into all the rape shit at the end of the movie, I mean aren't kids supposed to be watching this too? Kind of Dark

the ending was definitely the best part... although I liked the escape scene but had a hard time telling what was going on

and of course the reasoning why Dumbledore couldn't face off against Grindlewald (and I loved that Newt didn't beat him and that Grindlewald vs Dumbledore will definitely happen)

and final fight scene was atrocious, like cgi at it's worst

and why does Queenie think Grindlewald will allow her to marry a muggle??? like he's all about death and supremacy over Muggles so why does she buy into his routine

Member of Beelzebub is Freakin' Awesome Group
    what I'm catching up on currently: Gintama, lone wolf & cub, Nausicaš of the Valley of the Wind, and lost in poem (by our very own AP member GEPPETTOSMONSTER)

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    I saw the movie. So as someone who has never read the Harry Potter books, but did see all the movies and enjoyed them (didn't fall in the love with them, but enjoyed them), even the first Fantastic Beasts film, which I thought was a nice leisurely-paced, somewhat whimsical popcorn flick, I thought Crimes of Grindelwald was...okay...I guess?
    That's pretty much how I felt really. It was pretty clearly the first half of a film rather than a standalone one and suffered for it; after the rest of it comes out, it might make this one a better film but it's not really one that I look forward to watching again. The first film had some strengths that this one didn't really play off, particularly the cast since the best bits of the first one were the interactions between Jacob and Newt while this film didn't really have anywhere near enough of that.

Spoiler:
    One thing that I find odd is how... I guess, subdued Grindelwald is relatively speaking. He's definitely evil and looks strange but his personality is not cartoonishly over-the-top, scenery-chewing evil like you'd expect an evil wizard played by Johnny Depp to be.
    Complicating things since 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post

Spoiler:
    One thing that I find odd is how... I guess, subdued Grindelwald is relatively speaking. He's definitely evil and looks strange but his personality is not cartoonishly over-the-top, scenery-chewing evil like you'd expect an evil wizard played by Johnny Depp to be.
    We did have that with Voldemort, so isn't the subdued performance here better for a change?

Quote Originally Posted by MajinArekkusu View Post
    We did have that with Voldemort, so isn't the subdued performance here better for a change?
    The weird part is that they got Johnny Depp, who usually plays over-the-top, goofy, eccentric characters, to play him.

Quote Originally Posted by MajinArekkusu View Post
    But why hire Johnny Depp (at this point in his career) if you're NOT going to have him chew the scenery? That's why you hire Depp. Maybe not 20 years ago, but its why you get him post-Pirates.

Damn Robby .
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

I still wish we had Depp to the first one and he morphed into Colin Farell at the end.
    FC: 5043 2397 0050 In Game trainer name (WolfWood)

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information