+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Journey, Flower, Flow, and Abzu

Default Re: Journey

If ever there was a game that demanded an expansion, this is it.

An alternate route, climing the mountain from a different side, upped two player, being able to play in the snow or create songs... it could be expanded by a lot to become even more amazing.

And yet... that would take away something too, since right now its a fairly tight and focused narrative emotionally.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbyBevard View Post
    If ever there was a game that demanded an expansion, this is it.

An alternate route, climing the mountain from a different side, upped two player, being able to play in the snow or create songs... it could be expanded by a lot to become even more amazing.

And yet... that would take away something too, since right now its a fairly tight and focused narrative emotionally.
    I've always said that about Flower, which has a much looser narrative. A level in snow, or around a lake...

Aaaand now I want to play Flower again.

One of these days I'll get the stupid flower trophy in the stupid electrocution level. I can get to the end fairly easily, and I know the rick to staying in the middle as slow as you can go... but getting through that last bit is pretty much pure chance.

And since, even skipping as much as you can, it takes about 10 minutes to get to that point.... its uber frustrating to get smacked by a half second of debri 20 seconds before the end of the stage.

My least favorite stage, and its the one I've played the most.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbyBevard View Post
    One of these days I'll get the stupid flower trophy in the stupid electrocution level. I can get to the end fairly easily, and I know the rick to staying in the middle as slow as you can go... but getting through that last bit is pretty much pure chance.

And since, even skipping as much as you can, it takes about 10 minutes to get to that point.... its uber frustrating to get smacked by a half second of debri 20 seconds before the end of the stage.

My least favorite stage, and its the one I've played the most.
    I always skip that stage on repeat playthroughs (and yes, I played it ten times for that damned trophy). It works wonderfully in the narrative, but in terms of gameplay, it sacrifices everything that makes the rest of the game so joyful.

If Journey and Flower tell the same story (as I believe), then the Flower Wasteland is pretty much the same as the Journey Underground. And that's my least favorite level in that game, as well.

Journey underground has those great floating lantern bits though. Dodging the monster dragon things at the end sucks... but there's also some joy in the end stint outrunning them and weaving left and right thats really fun, followed by the barrier at the end.

Wheras the dark stage in Flower is just... dark the whole time with nothing joyful about it at all. And as the *only* stage in the game where you can be hurt... blech.

So I was in the mood to play this again last night, and started it up. first thing, the game told me I had to update with a new patch... and while that excited me for a moment, they've apparently just fixed a few glitches. Nothing amazing.

I threw on my white cloak, and I'd intended to just wander around the desert and play with flying a little bit, but I ended up running into a companion and well, got swept up in the quest once again. Wasn't a very good companion, very quiet and straightforward, but they knew what they were doing, they'd played through the game enough times to be able to go straight to the runes and utilize a couple short and efficient shortcuts, which was neat. However, during the course of the game, they would ocassionally zip along and get some *crazy* speed going. No way to communicate how they were doing it in game, but it was neat.

So I looked it up afterwards. Apparently, if when you're jumping down, you angle the camera stick right behind you and press forward on the direction stick, you can get some major speed flying going! And if you *really* get the hang of it you can use landmarks in the area to gain speed and momentum and launch into the air, and twist around the camera to give you even more height on a jump. People have played around a lot in the last 4 months and discovered tricks!

So, naturally, I go back ot the desert to play around with this some and try it out. I manage it a couple times, but it'll take practice and specific areas to get "being one with the camera" down to a science, but it might be worth it. The sheer freedom of flight just brings back so many memories of Nights...

Anyway, while I was goofing off trying to get the hang of speed flying, trying to climb up sandfalls and such, another player came in and saw what I was doing, and tried to help me up with some chirping. After a minute or two of playing in the sandfalls, we ended up getting caught up flying... and then ended up REALLY flying. In great synch, we both keep using big sound chirps to recharge the other player in the air and just stay aloft for minutes upon minutes at a time without ever hitting the ground. And suddenly I know that, even though I JUST went through the game and it was 2 AM, that I was going to run through again with this person because we were both having fun.

Hidden:
    We crossed the desert bridge without activating any of the bridge pieces, a without ever hitting the ground, and manage to skip entire giant areas of section, and I even pull off some of my nearly learned speed flying to hurtle across an especially large gap in one jump. Grab every rune along the way, butt slide underneath nearly all the pillars, chirping and flying and going fast and doing stunts the entire time. But then, we got to the end of the desert stage, right before going to the underground... and the other player led me off to the right. I followed, and they started jumping up the wall. I followed some more, and withing a few jumps, we glitched right through the rocks into a secret area!

It was... never meant to be an area, since the camera sucked there and falling in spots was an issue, but... it was the sort of thing people discover when given full freedom and flight capabilities. We wandered around the glitch area (I learned later this is a stable easily repeatable thing) for a while, then eventuall worked around, and we were at the start fo the desert race section again! Butt slid once more, then down into the dark caverns.

Part of the way into there, I was showed another trick around the jellyfish room that lets you climb into the rafters. Slightly more stable than than the previous glitch, but let you skip the whole area and deactivate the monsters and... stuff. Some camera problems, but a lot of fun. Visited the little cloth in the ground at the end of the level, then moved on. In the next area we climbed the tower and got all 4 runes without activating *any* of the water and played around with the un-freed dragon (which only comes out in the water).... and then again in the ice stage there was a trick right at the start to bypass the whole thing.

In the final area my companion was trying to show me one last thing, but the glare was too bad and I had a hard time keeping track of them, so we just finished the game, (after about 3 hours instead of the usual 2) and danced at the end doing it.

Wow, whatta experience. Haven't enjoyed the game like that since my second playthrough. Every player you meet will be different.

If you haven't touched the game since it came out, try it again now. Obviously theres no telling if you'll run into a companion like mine, but... backdoor tricks and crazy things have been discovered by people who have played through the whole thing 50 or 200 times, you might end up seeing something interesting and new and crazy. (And all the glitch paths are documented online if you look for them.) Even if you can't perform a trick yourself, you might see someone else do it. Really cool.

What a fantastic game. Only 2 hours long but I've played it all the way through probably 10 times now, in 4 months. The big thrills and sense of wonder and surprises of the intended story are gone, but... that hasn't stopped players from being crazy. Slightly different each time. Very cool.

Then you'll be thrilled to know about this (assuming you don't already):

http://thatgamecompany.com/flow/journey-collectors-edition-blu-ray-disc-arrives-at-stores-near-you-august-28/

For me, I'm more excited for another reason to play through Flower. And the directors' commentaries would be neat.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Added note: I love the concept of Journey, but I still haven't gone back to play it online since the first time I beat it. Get too nervous.

Yeah, I know about the disk, but as I already have those three main games and two of the soundtracks soundtracks, I dunno that a couple commentaries or wallpapers or PSn avatars are worth 30$ to me. Maybe if I hadn't gotten the soundtracks already. Or if I was misisng Flow or something (and thats really not worth 30$ itself anyway.)

They do say they're including three exclusive mini-games, so, thats neat but... mini-games, that they created in less than a day? Ehhh...

Its a good deal overall, and its all on disk... I just already got all the main content seperately already.

Anyone else that hasn't played any of them should absolutely get it though.

Crap. I just spent money on Journey the other day. Enjoyed it....Well, I don't have the others, so I guess its still a good deal.

I'm sure most that played it know already about it :). Nevertheless I can't let an opportunity slip to bring this thread and by that the game back into peoples minds.

Yeah, the disk copies of the game came out on Tuesday, so now is a GREAT time to be playing again, lots of fresh new players.

I had a pretty good time with an experienced player on Tuesday night, and a great time with a first run red cloak last night... who apparently quit during the white snowstorm of death at the end. Oops.

I'll probably get the artbook, even though I've already screencapped... everything.

Can't believe I'm saying this, but the collector's edition is pretty shitty.

I justified buying a copy so I could have all the games at one place without taking up too much memory, plus the idea of playing with director's commentary was incredibly enticing--it was the best part of the Monkey Island remaster and the original Sly Cooper, after all. And hey, maybe it would have some new trophies or some sort of integration between the three games. So I picked it up.

Can't play anything off the disc, have to install it. "Commentaries" are closer to documentaries, with the creators playing the game and talking about it. Nothing really new in the games themselves, and the "extra games" are even shittier than expected (and I expected next to nothing). Feels more like a disappointing cash-grab from thatgamecompany than I ever anticipated.

So, if you don't have one or two of the games or the soundtracks, go for it. If you already have them all, can't say there's much compelling at all about this, unless, like Robby mentioned in another thread, you're planning on using the disc as a way to share with other people.

Turns out you can't even play anything off the disc. You just end up

So with the year coming to its end and letting the memories of this game linger in the back of my mind for some months, I thought it was time for a revisit.
    Especially because today my town has been covered in beautiful pure white which made me kind of recall the end parts of the game.

I wanted the journey to have a certain weight to every step so I did it without the white cloak and it's been an even longer time since I did the travel to the mountain in red. I could really feel the freedom that you get with the robes missing.

I feel journey changed quite a bit since I've last visited purely by the fact that I didn't really encounter other red cloaks. Most seem to keep in isolation and didn't seem to have much interest in traveling with me to the point of trying to shake me of following them. So I mostly traveled alone and it was kind of lonely, until I reached the open snow plain with the stone snakes flying around. Another white cloak who decided to be my guide for the rest.
    When we reached that endpart where the storm was trying to split us apart it felt really special trying to not disappoint the effort my partner spend in leading me and sticking together.
    It's really different to be on the one that is guided instead of being the guiding one.

I just love this game...

I played the game again just the other night (generally once every two weeks) and met a pretty good companion. A white cloak with only three stripes instead of 4, so they were still newish, and lacked understanding of sustained partner flight, but had obviously been led to the cloak parts... but knew their way around okay. The friendliness is still there.

However, the game will NOT let you play with newbie players if you have a white cloak. It just flat out won't. I'm not sure if that applies if you just have *access* to one and opt not to use it, but it definitely weights experience... you won't find fresh new players on an experienced file... and its possible any others that are still in red are simply level selecting and rune hunting and trying to earn their white, rather than actually journeying.

But yeah, you reeeally start to miss the freedom of the white cloak recharge and lengthy scarf fast.

I'm tempted to erase my data and go back to being a one stripe red cloak. Just for the one journey.

I nabbed the soundtrack of this to properly digest, given I've only played one and a half playthroughs and haven't really heard it a shitton (I had a very cognizant and attentive first playthrough and I felt it was enough that I didn't feel an urge to really go back, yet, if any time soon- the half playthrough was going and getting some runes).

It's actually really special, as a composer Austin Wintory seems really attuned to the music and makes some real neat choices, instead of defaulting to the standard palette of a symphony. My favorite is the abundance of soloists in things like low woodwinds, or the cello.

I think, and all of ya gotta feel me on this, the best part is its well timed use of space. Given the entire soundtrack is the warm spectrum of instruments (violin family and woodwinds only, no brass or percussion that isn't high and loose), it's pretty awesome that it never just stays "minimal", as easy as it would have been.

It feels very vast and at the forefront and hnnngh

Since I just don't have the knowledge to say anything of value regarding the music I'll just leave that here

around minute 3 they talk about the music(for 1 minute or so). Funnily the composer himself makes a forefront comment.

Also I've been kind of wondering being more attentive in my last playthrough about the surroundings. Could the stone snakes that bite your scarf of be armored/corrupted cloth snakes(like the ones carrying you at the very last stage). They look very similar in form and in the bridge level you have a lot of stone segments lying around that kind of look like they could be stone snake remnants. Also when you sing around some of those the cadavers release a lof of cloth that builds the bridge. And then we have the fact of several wall paintings depicting how the cloths goes through structures and gives them life/energy.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthAsthma View Post
    Also I've been kind of wondering being more attentive in my last playthrough about the surroundings. Could the stone snakes that bite your scarf of be armored/corrupted cloth snakes(like the ones carrying you at the very last stage). They look very similar in form and in the bridge level you have a lot of stone segments lying around that kind of look like they could be stone snake remnants. Also when you sing around some of those the cadavers release a lof of cloth that builds the bridge. And then we have the fact of several wall paintings depicting how the cloths goes through structures and gives them life/energy.
    Yup.

The gist is there was a great magical scarfey energy source that the ancients tapped into. Built great cities. but then they got possessive about it and fought a war, and converted the scarfs into war machines of death. Totally destroyed both sides. But... some souls survive, to make a journey to learn that and atone and set it all right... or something.

There's no official story and its all silent, but thats the general consensus.

Look what arrived in the mail for me today!

Its a very nice book, hardcover, lots of gorgeous color shots of the game and full two page spreas along with a bunch of sketches and things. Haven't had a chance to actually read it yet, and won't for a while, but very nice.

Probably not worth 60$ (But I didn't pay quite that much for it) but nice.

The back section actually has about 8 pages of fanart... most of which I've seen online, and I wish that was a longer section with some of that art bigger... some of it is so nice it deserved a full page spread.... like this piece
    Hidden:

But oh well, nice that its in there!

Jenova Chen on the creation of journey, I just don't get tired of that guy speaking about game design.
    While I love many other games but Jenova Chen and David Cage are the two guys I hope succeed in inspiring a in my opinion much needed diversity to game types.
    Makes me hopeful.

http://mynintendonews.com/2013/02/11...medium=twitter

didn't see this posted elsewhere. Apparently Journey being on the PS only nearly Bankrupted the company. So expect future titles, if any from them to be mutli-plat.
    Oh hey, I do videos on figures and manga and stuff: https://www.youtube.com/thatmanhismerch

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information