+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Journey, Flower, Flow, and Abzu

Default Re: Journey

Silence got me the game and it's great.
    Question though. When you run into wanderers, are those really just AI or actual players. The person I was playing with seemed a little too smart, even though I sorta outran and ditched him when we got to the cave with all those flying stone monsters. Fun game. The story is vauge, but it seems like a puzzle that would all make sense at the end of the game.

At the end of the game, it shows you the actual player ID of the people you played with. Yeah they're all real.

The guy I played with was okay and I really appreciated the company, but there was one sequence

Spoiler:
    Where we were in the cold and I needed to be warmed up, but he kept running away enough that I couldn't get the frost off.

There's no wrong way to play with someone, since it's all real, true interaction, so I wasn't sure how to feel about it. But we made it together... :)

Quote Originally Posted by Hiroy View Post
    Silence got me the game and it's great.
    Question though. When you run into wanderers, are those really just AI or actual players. The person I was playing with seemed a little too smart,
    Wanderers are actual players. When you beat the game it gives ou a list of all the players you met, and one of the trophies is meet 10 people, and another is play through the whole game with one person.

Anyone thats been through the game once or twice knows what they're doing pretty well.
    Spoiler:
    You can tell how many times they've beaten the game by how ornate the yellow piping on their robes are. There's even a *really* special thing for those that have truly mastered the game... you'll know it when you see it... that gives you extra abilities.

Generally, people will be really considerate and help out someone they see nearby and show something off, its a very neat aspect of the game, that the dna of it promotes consideration and being helpful rather than the usual default jerkish competition. Unless they're someone just hunting for a rune or a something.

You can also prevent them from showing up entirely by disconnecting from the net.

I had a *fantastic* companion experience in my second run through.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
    Spoiler:
    Where we were in the cold and I needed to be warmed up, but he kept running away enough that I couldn't get the frost off.

There's no wrong way to play with someone, since it's all real, true interaction, so I wasn't sure how to feel about it. But we made it together... :)
    Spoiler:
    There's not much you can do there. Even staying by a person real closely doesn't prevent that much, especially by the end of the level.
    Last edited by Robby; March 22nd, 2012 at 07:48 PM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Wow. That's hella awesome! It's the kind of aspect I really liked in Demon's Souls. Single player campaigns with random player encounters is something I'd really like to see more of. Especially in a world that feels as lonely as this.

Another thing. I got a trophy for making it through an area without tearing your scarf. I'm assuming that's a life system... assuming you could get hit by stuff and die.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiroy View Post
    Wow. That's hella awesome! It's the kind of aspect I really liked in Demon's Souls. Single player campaigns with random player encounters is something I'd really like to see more of. Especially in a world that feels as lonely as this.

Another thing. I got a trophy for making it through an area without tearing your scarf. I'm assuming that's a life system... assuming you could get hit by stuff and die.
    You can't die (at I never did and I got hit through one playthrough a lot by the snakes) but the scarf is kind of a representation of your freedom in the world. The longer the scarf the longer you can fly freely through the world.
    I remember on my first playthrough being angry at these snakes tearing my scarf apart stealing my carefully earned freedom to move and realising in the same walkthrough right at the end that it really didn't matter. :)

I think the game lends itself to cooperation so much, partly because you CAN reach goals easier with help... but also because at this point, most people on their first run through are being helped by someone more experienced... and are then returning the favor on their second.

Its at its best when both players are about equal in experience are are exploring just the same.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

For the first guy, we didn't seem to know what we were doing, until we discovered we can fly longer by using the voices. It was pleasant. Skipping the entire bridge at the begining of the game atleast. I made it to end. I think... I'm guessing it's not possible to run through that entire storm at the end. The rest... I used them as lilypads and ditched them along the way XD

Either way the final fly was really damned beutiful. I almost shed a tear.

FYI, soundtrack is up on iTunes today.

Very cool. I'll happily spend 5$ on that.

But does it HAVE to be on itunes? I refuse to buy stuff from them since they content lock everything with their mp4s and make stuff difficult to transfer.

Its also on the PSN, does anyone know how it works if downloaded from there?

Quote Originally Posted by RobbyBevard View Post
    Very cool. I'll happily spend 5$ on that.

But does it HAVE to be on itunes? I refuse to buy stuff from them since they content lock everything with their mp4s and make stuff difficult to transfer.

Its also on the PSN, does anyone know how it works if downloaded from there?
    It happened to be on iTunes first, so I went there.

First, I still hate iTunes, but I'm pretty sure they've relaxed most of those standards. DRM has been removed, and you can right-click any downloaded song and "Create MP3 Version." It's still next to impossible to get anything back off of an iPod, but I don't have any problems moving the songs from computer to computer any more.

Second, I double-checked my old download from PSN of the Flower soundtrack. The process for getting them on the hard drive was needlessly complicated, but they were DRM-free MP3s.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Oh, and 256 kbps.

Even if itunes is relaed on it, I still have nearly 100$ worth of music I can't play anymore since it was all "authorized" on older machines, and the current version of itunes won't update to my machine's OS (So I can't actually get to their store int he first place apparently) and in general, breaks the songs. Even though I burned them to CD.

So even if they're more lax now, they pretty much lost me as a customer forever due to their policies.

I may have to get the Flower soundtrack while I'm at it. Also $5?

$2.99, I believe. And better as standalone music than Journey, in my eyes. Or ears.

A friend gifted me this game and I thought it was pretty awesome. The music was definitely great and it changed at all the right places.

I honestly didn't notice at first that I was playing with other people, but I caught on after a bit. I'm glad they did throw in some trophies for people who wanted more replay value as well.

The truth is it's a really great game but I don't think I would pay $15 for it. For $60 I can get a game that will last me 20, or 50, or 100 hours of gameplay even WITHOUT going after total completion, whereas Journey takes maybe 2 hours the first time and I got my 100% in probably 6 total hours. The production value is great but if you compare its content to most main titles, it should be selling for 5 bucks max.

I've only played it once, and It took me about 3 hours to play. The experience you gain from playing the game is totally worth the money. You really feel something playing the game, and its one of the most immersive game I've ever played. I'd gladly pay $5 dollars an hour to explore in that world. I'd probably play it 2 or 3 times again if I owned a PlayStation.

You spend 8-10 dollars going to the movies... and this was one of *the* best gaming experiences I've ever had. Doesn't matter that it only lasts two hours (and my amazing experience was on my second playthrough!) and well... its worth the price.

I've played through it 4 times now, and I will show it to other friends who haven't seen it yet, and play it again.

And I'm usually someone that balks at paying any sort of high price on a game, even with 100 hours of content.

2-6 amazing unique experience hours are as good or better than 40 mediocre forgettable ones. How many RPGS have I played over the years where nothing has stuck with me at all?

You spend 8-10 dollars going to the movies... and this was one of *the* best gaming experiences I've ever had. Doesn't matter that it only lasts two hours (and my amazing experience was on my second playthrough!) and well... its worth the price.

I've played through it 4 times now, and I will show it to other friends who haven't seen it yet, and play it again.

And I'm usually someone that balks at paying any sort of high price on a game, even with 100 hours of content.

2-6 amazing unique experience hours are as good or better than 40 mediocre forgettable ones. How many RPGS have I played over the years where nothing has stuck with me at all?
    Totally agree with this. I personally got 12 hours out of it and if you count the hours when showing it to friends many more are to come.
    I just love sharing this experience with others and talking about it afterwards. But really that appreciation that value is not measured by of how many hours a game can occupy you may be something that someone who is really involved with gaming in general has to gain for himself with time.

@Foolio
    I think you have to think about it this way, don't you want to see a world where games are more than just fun? Where games evoke more emotions than pure entertainment satisfication? If yes support journey and spread the love if no well that's fine to but I personally would probably quit gaming if the future consists of nothing but call of duties, assassins creed or mass effects. As much as I enjoy alot of the AAA titles that give me a lot of playtime for the buck having something like journey inbetween is invaluable and invokes in me that special admiration that drove me into gaming in the first place.

All the more incredible that Flower was six bucks.

Meh, at least it was two/three great hours and not like some other games that we wont name that are 4-10 hours and just kinda forgettable yet 40. I did kinda think the 10 was steep, maybe 7 or so.
    Oh hey, I do videos on figures and manga and stuff: https://www.youtube.com/thatmanhismerch

It was just really amazing. Nothing like it.
    Your story was really sweet and heart-warming :)

My boyfriend and I just completed our first playthrough. I instantly got into it. The music, and the graphics pleased my senses and caused strong emotions like hardly ever felt anymore when playing a game. We met some other people on the way. We jumped around them and it made giggle to hear them produce those little sounds in return. I didn't want to do the trophy hunt to enjoy fully this great experience. Next time and I hope it'll be just as sensational as the first time.

Oh and, won't complain about the cost/hours on a game that great.

I wonder if I'm the only one who noticed the person name Jenova in the credits...
    and , from Sanji's Harem Petit Chara Land 's set, are up for grabs. 630 each. PM me~

Just mowed my yard to the Journey soundtrack. Didn't imbue the whole process with meaning like I hoped.

On the bright side, better than mowing to the Flower soundtrack. Felt like a villain. :(

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information