+ Reply to Thread
Page 69 of 69 FirstFirst ... 19 59 67 68 69
Results 1,361 to 1,369 of 1369

Thread: Dangan Ronpa (Translated VN via SA) [Spoilers through DRV3]

Default Re: Dangan Ronpa (Translated VN via SA) [Spoilers through DRV3]

Spoiler:
    As far as I can tell, only Rantaro was on the show multiple times. Tsumugi was just a big otaku fan for it so she knows all the ins and outs.

Set Art by Daily Rowlet

Finally beat V3. Overall I loved it, definitely my favorite game of the three. You really connected to the characters and all chapters were equally interesting. I'm a bit iffy about the final twist, but that's all.

Long rambly version.

Spoiler:

The good points.
    • The cast was well balanced and everyone was likable (with one exception). It made the chapter more engaging, because no matter who dies I'd care.
    • The story is also great. The first five chapters are gold, and even if you dislike the final chapter I still feel it's well made with a satisfying epilogue. Having the final three survive was a relief. I like how they kept the theme of lying, and how you sometimes can't tell things apart.
    • The trials were amazing. While some of the amazement comes from going in un-spoiled, I still feel they outdid the previous games. The twists kept me guessing till the end. All trials were varied and while there were an odd answer here and there I never felt cheated like I've felt in previous games.
    • Kokichi was the star. Loved him from start to end. It's a shame we didn't learn more about him, but I guess that would've ruined his character being a walking lie.
    It might be a short description but I absolutely love this game. I love the tone, the atmosphere, the characters, the music... (almost) everything.

And besides it's more fun to talk about the negative stuff. Most of this is nitpicky but I want it off my chest.
    • In chapter 3 Angie and the cult subplot was thrown under the bus. The entire chapter builds up this cult and character but in the end Tenko hogs the show and the entire trial becomes about her. I still liked it, and I don't resent her character, but I wish we could've spent more time figuring out Angie during the trial. She was annoying as hell but in a good, villainous way. You wanted that asshole to die, and because of those feelings I really wanted to deal with her death in the trial.
    • Tenko should've laid off the "degenerate males" crap.
    • Sometimes the trials dragged on.
    • Why did Kaede have a twin? What was the point?
    • I'm not a fan of a character turning out to be a crazy psycho. It's cheap and turns them from interesting characters into one-note idiots. In other words I hated the reveal of Kiyo being some incestuous madman. He's a god damn anthropologist, there's so much you could've done with that!
    • Hangman's Gambit is still terrible. I don't know it it's easier in Japan due to using Kanji instead of letters. Either way half the time I just had to give up and look it up before i lost all my hearts. Maybe it'd work better if chosing the right letter let you regain a sliver of life or if the game consisted of syllables instead of single letters.
    • Remember that key card motive Kokichi stole? What happened to that? Where was it used? What did he learn?
    • Tsumugi is the one exception to the cast. She had no development at all - I guessed she was the mastermind purely because she never did anything interesting. It's a shame because she had a lot of potential. Just give her one or two more events and the mastermind reveal would've had a lot more impact. She still worked well as the mastermind, I just wish the reveal would've been more heart wrenching.
    • The final twist. I'm just barely in the "this was a good ending" camp (largely thanks to the epilogue), but I can definitely understand why people hate it. I had read before that it was controversial and "people got mad because it targeted reality" so I was guessing they realized they were in a fictional game. And while the trial was fun and I think it was fairly well done, there's something about the execution that just feels off. Messy, somehow. Like during the trial I was confused about who it wanted to target and what it wanted to say, and in what tone. I guess your reaction depends a lot on your interpretation, and what kind of player you are. I think it's one of those stories that'll work better when you replay the game knowing the game ends on a positive note.'
    Thinking a bit more about it, I think my problem lies in not knowing how seriously I was supposed to take the twist. For example, were all the executions real or fake? Did people die or were they secretly waiting behind the stage? How much of Tsumugi was an act, and what was real? Stuff like that. It wasn't until the very end you could be sure.

Oh, and
    THE WORLD FUCKING LOOPS.
    I'm guessing they made it that dragged out for people who don't play a lot of games, but damn that was painful.
    Last edited by Zar; November 7th, 2017 at 10:36 AM.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Zar View Post
    • Tenko should've laid off the "degenerate males" crap.
    Yeah, Tenko was by far the worst character in the game to me. She's an awful pervert, a dead-set misandrist, and kind of an idiot but not in any amusing way. I wouldn't even mind the man-hating as much if there was something to justify it in her character, but if you do the free time events, you discover that she's just an idiot that her master misled as a joke.

• Why did Kaede have a twin? What was the point?
    She did not. If you remember, Tsumugi was the one who found the 'evidence' that Kaede had a twin. It was just a distraction she made up quickly (or maybe it was always a possibility for their 'story,' like an unused plotline she brought in as a red herring).

• I'm not a fan of a character turning out to be a crazy psycho. It's cheap and turns them from interesting characters into one-note idiots. In other words I hated the reveal of Kiyo being some incestuous madman. He's a god damn anthropologist, there's so much you could've done with that!
    I liked Kiyo a lot, actually. For one thing, he's the first serial killer actually played straight. Toko didn't kill a single person in-game and then got redeemed somehow? And Peko was just playing with Spear of Justice. Kiyo, on the other hand, actually got to kill two people, and was really just a creepy person.

What makes him even more interesting, though, and actually sympathetic, is that he was given this personality to begin with. He was twisted into a weird serial killer, because the plot demanded it. Some people even speculate that he actually did have a sister, who would have been watching everything (since everyone was a fan of the show). That plus the implication that their characters were auto-suggested to some extent makes for some interesting character depth.

• Hangman's Gambit is still terrible. I don't know it it's easier in Japan due to using Kanji instead of letters. Either way half the time I just had to give up and look it up before i lost all my hearts. Maybe it'd work better if chosing the right letter let you regain a sliver of life or if the game consisted of syllables instead of single letters.
    SEESAW EFFECT

• Remember that key card motive Kokichi stole? What happened to that? Where was it used? What did he learn?
    He just learned the 'truth of the outside world' that he later showed Gonta. He told Monokuma that they should reporpose it. As for where he found it, who knows. I know it was going to be the secret room behind the bookcase, but by chapter 6 it's clear that wasn't the case.

• Tsumugi is the one exception to the cast. She had no development at all - I guessed she was the mastermind purely because she never did anything interesting. It's a shame because she had a lot of potential. Just give her one or two more events and the mastermind reveal would've had a lot more impact. She still worked well as the mastermind, I just wish the reveal would've been more heart wrenching.
    Yeah, same here for having guessed her on account of her being a nobody. I still think there's some intrigue about her just being such a big fan of the series. She's the Ultimate Danganronpa Fan, and represents all of the crazy devotion for the franchise that the ending meditates on. She's still kinda shallow (besides some speculation that she was 'created' too), but at least I don't loathe her like Tenko.

• The final twist. I'm just barely in the "this was a good ending" camp (largely thanks to the epilogue), but I can definitely understand why people hate it. I had read before that it was controversial and "people got mad because it targeted reality" so I was guessing they realized they were in a fictional game. And while the trial was fun and I think it was fairly well done, there's something about the execution that just feels off. Messy, somehow. Like during the trial I was confused about who it wanted to target and what it wanted to say, and in what tone. I guess your reaction depends a lot on your interpretation, and what kind of player you are. I think it's one of those stories that'll work better when you replay the game knowing the game ends on a positive note.'
    Thinking a bit more about it, I think my problem lies in not knowing how seriously I was supposed to take the twist. For example, were all the executions real or fake? Did people die or were they secretly waiting behind the stage? How much of Tsumugi was an act, and what was real? Stuff like that. It wasn't until the very end you could be sure.
    All the executions were still real. The idea was that the world turned Danganronpa into a bloodsport, the way dystopias do. I think that was pretty clear from the idea of Ultimate Real Fiction.

As for the ending itself, I think it's a clear meditation on what makes Danganronpa popular. We're three games in, so us fans know what we're getting. It makes sense that Kodaka would pose the question here. We know we're buying loss, and we're playing to watch characters die, or watch them triumph over adversity, and isn't that kind of fucked up? On the other hand, he recognizes that these stories have a lot of power. The V3 characters may be fictional, but those identities give them strength and allowed them to defeat the killing game. That power is also present in their decision to give up their lives, since even though we've been told that their characters were just fakes made up for the game, their deaths still have a huge impact. Opposite to you, I thought the ending would have benefitted from everyone staying dead, since that would give much more weight to their decision.

Oh, and
    THE WORLD FUCKING LOOPS.
    I'm guessing they made it that dragged out for people who don't play a lot of games, but damn that was painful.
    Yeah, trail four sorta did get stuck in a loop.

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

Spoiler:
    IMO, I think they wasted a seriously great opportunity by making Korekiyo the killer of both victims in Chapter 3.
    I really think it would have been great to have an honest to God murderer successfully live by way of the first come first served rule, in addition to how much drama that would add with Himiko and his reaction to the twist in chapter 6.
    It really would have been neat and they just had to muck it up by making him kill both. It would have made much more sense for Tenko to be Angie's killer and then performing the seance to say it was someone else/a suicide before getting offed by Korekiyo.

Set Art by Daily Rowlet

Quote Originally Posted by Ruin View Post
    Spoiler:
    IMO, I think they wasted a seriously great opportunity by making Korekiyo the killer of both victims in Chapter 3.
    I really think it would have been great to have an honest to God murderer successfully live by way of the first come first served rule, in addition to how much drama that would add with Himiko and his reaction to the twist in chapter 6.
    It really would have been neat and they just had to muck it up by making him kill both. It would have made much more sense for Tenko to be Angie's killer and then performing the seance to say it was someone else/a suicide before getting offed by Korekiyo.
    Definitely agree here.

And just in general I hate characters whose "true nature" is only ever revealed mid-trial. It's boring. I mean you can have people hiding who they really are but if it doesn't come through somehow to the player (beyond "hey this person is a creepy weirdo" which is not a good indicator of anything in the DR universe), it saps the fun out of the experience for me. Yay shocking reveals.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruin View Post
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

I was hoping for this too. It would've done Kiyo a lot of good. Such an interesting character, they could've done a lot more with him.

Also another very minor nitpick: the abracadabra skill (reveals the correct truth bullet after a while) needs to be nerfed. I love the concept, it's great if you have trouble with arguments but don't want to use the net (it's the best in blade rebuttals). But they reveal the bullet after one round of debate. I ended up disabling it for the final trial because it took away the fun. It'd be better if it comes into effect after at least three or more rounds.

I almost want to play through the entire series again, in order. The second game especially since it's been so long since I played it.

That's a skill? Wow haha. I didn't bother with skills in this game (though I did in 2). Not like anything was giving me trouble to warrant it.

I still think the second game is the best by a solid margin, despite its flaws (and some really stupid executions).

Sooo i finally beat this game, thoughts

Spoiler:
    Its pretty okay. Honestly maybe because ive played through dr1 and 2, the twists and culprits for all the murders felt too easy. Once you recognized the trends of dr, you are pretty much set on who is going to survive all the way and who definetly will not be a blacken. For instance, Ouma while a perfectly well written character and served as a foil is too much of a remiscent of Nagito. Although they are not the same, you'll wager pretty early that he would never murder. Also Himiko character growth throughout the game made it pretty certain shes going to stay alive. Keebo as a just in case deux ex machina also guaranthees he stays.
    In terms of ranking, from best to worst,
    Chapter 4
    Chapter 5
    Chapter 2
    Chapter 3
    Chapter 1( too half ass)

I know DR is an absolute crazefest and fuckfest near the end but this one actually feels grounded.
    Of course, it has its fair amount of flaws, namely the big reveal where the story overly emphasis that people are watching this, a point being mentioned EVERY chapter which was also done in the first DR.
    And also the plot device of flashback lights being utilized like crazy, implanting memories through a flash? We legit?
    Also, i called case 1 bullshit long ago because her plans were left waaay too much to luck.
    To top it off, its not like the big reveal is something original. Think hunger games and to a certain extend, Battle Royale and some cheap knockoff animes here and there.
    Dr has this bad tendency where it always rushes things in the last chapter in an attempt to awe the readers, its not bad but felt messy and rushed in the end.

The good parts though are great.
    If chapter 6 was written with the real world in mind, its a good representation that both Hope and Despair are always on an equilibrium. Finally the meta called out Naegi on his bullshit. Only in a fictional world is his infinity hope a way of life. Tsumugi, while not another Junko, feels more real as a villain.
    You can even see the normalcy in her actions, some of the things she does are the things we do in everyday life(e.g appeal to ratings, wanting thrill at the expense of others).

Character development is also a blast. Shuichi is easily a better protag than his counterparts and all of the characters were memorable(even if annoying) and all the ones left alive had development. I liked Himiko the most and was genuinely sad for Kaito and Ouma. Kaede and Maki are both strong contendors for best female. The strongest point in V3 has to be the characters.

All in all, it was a good game but not even close enough to dethrone dr1.

Oh btw, i get the shit hangman gambit is getting but personally, fuck psyche taxi.
    So damn redundant and time consuming. Just take some tips from Ace Attorney and we are better off.
    Ps: abracabra is broken.

Having finished V3 recently (I loved the finale btw) but there's one thing still bugging me.

Spoiler:
    The resurrection motive. It made zero sense, and the writers never did anything with it. At the end of Chapter 3, I had assumed that it would be brought up again once the truth about the killing game was revealed, but nope, it was never mentioned again. As a motive, it didn't even do anything besides coincidently making Angie go into the room where Kiyo was making his seesaw, which could have just as easily occurred without it.

I guess the intent was to make everyone fight over who would get to be revived (with Shuichi in particular being targeted by it) but I find it really odd that we were never told what would've happened had they gone through with the ritual. The result could've been as simple as Monokuma popping out to laugh at them for actually thinking that it may work, but I have to wonder now if there could've been more to it, like if the show's producers had an extra student waiting backstage to take someone's place, and Tsumugi would've used Flashback lights to make everyone think that they were someone who had been killed earlier.

But in the end, I guess it's just another thing Chapter 3 feel really half-baked compared to the rest of the game.
    Last edited by RochHoch; November 8th, 2017 at 04:47 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information