+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: General Discussion: THE STORY

Default Re: General Discussion: THE STORY

So here's the thing, I've decided that I don't read nearly enough and I wanted to give the members here some in-depth reviews. For the first week of the month, that's going to be my thing. Right now, I definitely want to read all of A Dastardly Two and Stargazer but after that, I'm not sure where to go from there. So getting to the point...

Who here would like for me to read their story?

Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Kenny
    And I heard you like reading so I'm just going to suggest these titles for you real quick: "A Dastardly Two" by Kylor, "Yukino" by Cuddles, "Stargazer" by Crossword, anything at all from Insider and if you can deal with it, read everything else and just keep in mind that we're all amateurs/sometimes writing less serious stories.
    Adding on to this list of recommendations: "Dream Wall" , "Old Friends" and "Zhizn" by Kairouseki (Sakonosolo) which can all be found in Kairouseki's thread. I highly recommend checking out Kairouseki's works as he has one of the most unique styles in this section.
    Last edited by Jazzy Jinx; January 1st, 2012 at 03:47 PM. Reason: I promise I don't bite.~

I won't make a top ten list, partially because I don't really like competition amongst writers and partially because I don't think I've read ten whole stories here (although I should've), so I'll just recap what I've felt about this year as a whole.

I've seen some really great things this year, and I'm looking forward to seeing the works continue. Everyone has their own unique styles, and really I think above all the greatest strength of the writers here is their variety. We can only refine and grow from here, so let's continue putting out stories worth reading and thinking about.

As for my own work, I will continue to write, even if I don't have an editor, and I'll try to improve as much as I can. One of the things I've found from writing A Dastardly Two is that things often don't go as planned as far as the writing process goes, and I've managed to surprise myself in all kinds of neat little ways. Above all, my goal is to not disappoint you all in the next year. One of my resolutions is to finish ADT this year, hopefully I can keep that.

If I were to give a single piece of advice for everyone here, though, I'd say this: STEP OUT OF YOUR COMFORT ZONES. You're all great writers, with more potential than you might think. If we broaden our perspectives even just a little, we could make something great here. But great art can only come if you take risks, y'know?

Damn straight, Kylor.

Excellent post and great to see your resolve.~

Discovered Stowaway piratemarimo's Avatar

ohgod my mom went digging up some old school stuff. there were some snippets of old stories I had written. sometimes I wonder... if I was unintentionally a morbid child. There was this bug story... and it had several deaths in it. Then there was one about literal shapes who basically went around town destroying shit and escaped from jail several times. The mob boss was a 12 inch triangle. I didn't happen to find this one in that pile, but there was also one I wrote about life from the perspective of a pencil. He gets his face cut up by the pencil sharpener. I kind of want to revisit the first two, maybe rewrite them. The shapes one kind of made me lol because the last sentence I wrote was about the shapes breaking into the White House and destroying priceless memorabilia (which for some odd reason was crossed out by me). Where's their motivation?? Why is it that they broke into all these places but did very little actual stealing? Why is it stealing if something is free?

So here's a question for you guys, if you feel like answering: Can you recall any old stories you've written as a kid and did you look at them like me and go "the fuck was that shit??" 0___o

Quote Originally Posted by piratemarimo View Post
    So here's a question for you guys, if you feel like answering: Can you recall any old stories you've written as a kid and did you look at them like me and go "the fuck was that shit??" 0___o
    Yes I can. For the longest time, I had a gigantic story about intergalatic peacekeeper type of space police for many years. Most of the ideas and characters were things I came up with as a kid and just stuck with them. Among them were a half-alien who could shoot lightning bolts from any part of his body, a psychic woman who can transform into a type of gel, an intergalatic renowned wrestler with a magical mask stuck on his face, a gecko-like alien who is also a boxer, a gay elf mage, and various robots whom often I had completely irrelevant to the overall plot.

While I do have to begrudgingly admit that even as a kid I had some innovative ideas and not bad character designs, looking back at my old notes and drawings of them is physically painful for me. There were a ton of arcs that were completely redundant or subplots that went nowhere, the main character was a self insert of myself and ended up being a great big Mary Sue, the "big reveal" of who the final boss was supposed to be could've been seen from a mile away, and all of the side characters ended up being worthless by the end.

So in other words, what I wrote up until like 3 years ago was everything I hate reading nowadays. Funny how that all works out. Live and learn I suppose~

I dislike throwing away ideas though, so in some fashion or another some of those characters from that story have been better incorporated in some of my other works since.

If a 100 word composition about a clash between WB and Shanks causing a Time Warp which sends buggy into the past (our world) and then he starts doing somethings which I don't remember and it ends abruptly without a point counts.
    I never was happy with it, but in the middle of the test I could not come up with something better I think.

I would make a top 10 but I've only read Yukino and Stargazers, and they're both great and really different stories. I think I'll read some more works and then I'll think about making a top, even tough I'm never "happy" when I rank stuff, its sad to leave great things in a bad place.

@Kylor
    Well I'm actually doing that. I used to write those chillin' romances and now I'm trying to do something more interesting. I'll probably fail hard but I've got nothing to lose. That and I'm writting in english which is far from the confort of my beloved portuguese (I only realized how much I sucked at english once I tryed creative writting xD).

ps: I'm always confused with this doubling consonantes, don't mind if they're in excess...
    Last edited by gotta<3OP; January 4th, 2012 at 05:17 PM.

http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t=30281&highlight=

I finally remembered. The Invincible Suit was the one I had started to read not Thriller Blend. I was wondering why TB wasn't sounding familiar to me when I read through some of it. That epiphany came really late. :P I should make a resolution to make headway in more of these stories. I have five or so books that I'm gonna be reading in Modern Fiction; Beloved, Franny and Zooey, Plague of Doves, Slaughterhouse 5 (which I just finished re-reading), and... uh... Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close.

I most want to read the Sherlock Holmes series ever since watching Game of Shadows, although I'm kinda uncertain where to start. Where do the short stories fit into the canon? I'm kind of particular about this sort of thing. My mom did a terrible job explaining this to me and spoiled the ending in the process (man, if it weren't for the fact that I'd been spoiled already, I would've been so pissed. You don't just casually mention that shit. I literally asked "In which order should I read the books?" not "which order should I read AND HOW DOES THE SERIES END??" ).

Heh, I've actually wanted to restart The Invincible Suit for a while now. It's going to be my HxH to Thriller Blend's One Piece. In fact, I flipped a quarter today to decide whether I would read or write and reading won so... On the flipside, I read 2 chapters of Stargazer. Probably going to read 4 or 5 more tomorrow and hopefully get a full review done by Friday.

So this was brought up in another thread, but here would be a better place to ask.

Would anyone like to have a thread for people to post ideas for stories or whatever and have others give feedback and possibly expand on those thoughts, letting the various ideas bounce off each other until they're more developed? I think it'd be a potentially helpful tool for us creative folk, if nothing else. What do you all think?

It sounds like a useful idea, but is it something we can assimilate into one of the current threads? Maybe even this one, or this: http://www.apforums.net/showthread.php?t=32532

Oh and I suddenly remembered the other day - are we ever going to have a Chain Story: The Sequel? :P
    Handsome man save me from the monsters.

While it sounds like a good idea, wouldn't this thread suffice? I mean, that's one of the reasons brennen created it, if memory serves.

I'm a-okay with someone bumping my "Writing Process" thread. I was planning on bumping it one day, anyway. Though whether it's there or here, either of the threads serve the purpose that you're looking for, Kylor.
    Last edited by Jazzy Jinx; February 2nd, 2012 at 09:49 PM. Reason: You should still bump my thread, though.~

Um, maybe, but to me it seems like those threads were meant to specifically discuss the process of writing and the act of storytelling, whereas I'm talking more about a place where people can get together and discuss individual creative ideas. We could expand on either this thread or that to fit what I'm referring to, but it may be easier to just make a new thread, I'm not sure.

hmm... yeah I actually think this thread will do. Looking back, brennen did state that was the whole point. Plus, it's already hard enough to keep track of threads as it is.

Yeah, there's no need to make so many threads when this one already more than fits the point. General discussion is all-encompassing. The topic of discussion (in this case, creative brainstorming) can change accordingly to the participants' needs.

Honestly, my worst fear is getting this thread too far sidetracked, but the consensus seems to be to not make a new thread, so I won't. ALRIGHTY THEN.

General discussion isn't something that gets sidetracked.

It's general.
    Last edited by Jazzy Jinx; February 2nd, 2012 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Let's try your idea, Kylor! You brough it up, man! *peer pressure* *peer pressure* *peer pressure*

Well, so far I haven't come up with anything tangible enough to really talk about, so I'll just discuss my current thought process and what's interested me lately.

So recently, I came across a lovely little Visual Novel that many of you have probably heard of that goes by the name of Katawa Shoujo. It was the first time I encountered a story of its kind, and I'd be lying if I said it didn't appeal to my creative side. That, coupled with a few other ideas I've been thinking about, made me want to expand my abilities as a writer. So right now I'm thinking about writing something primarily told through dialogue, that's more introspective and more focused on social interaction than what I'm typically used to writing. I'm sort of trying to do that with ADT, but that's still very much a work in progress, and while I still intend to continue it and while it still is important to me, it doesn't exactly meet what I'm trying to do as of right this minute. Basically, I'd like to step out of my comfort zone a little more. I've also been pondering how a story can relate to people on an emotional level, and how I can make characters that the audience can understand and connect with. I think that it may be good for be to branch out from just the conventional book form that I've been using so far, and experiment in a completely different genre of storytelling, but I don't even know where I'd begin with that. So in short, I'm horribly confused about everything and have no idea what to do with myself, what about you guys?

I always feel like I don't have enough physical descriptions in my stories and that it shouldn't just be dialogue, but I think it's an interesting idea. Right now I'm still not quite stepping out of my comfort zone even though I'm in a fiction writing class. I recently had to do a "reluctant I" assignment, and that was tricky to do. A character I can connect to might not necessarily be someone who's even remotely similar to me personally. And then there's cases where I can understand but not connect. Take Franny from Salinger's Franny and Zooey. I absolutely can't stand her, even though I can see some similarities between us. It's a tough question. :/

For me, it's writing in the environment outside of the main characters (train stations, buildings, slums, the people around them and how they would react to their actions, weather, etc.). I think that's why I'm kind of 3-for-3 in having enclosed environments with little contact with the outside world, and I do need outside help when writing in those situations.
    Also Kylor, a good tip for making dialogue more accessible to people's emotions is to focus on the body movements and thoughts of the characters as well. Another good tip is to write the dialogue, wait a bit (maybe a few days), then sift through it bit by bit while reading out loud to yourself to see if it feels natural.
    Or in other words, copy Yukino. :p

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information