Closed Thread
Page 316 of 501 FirstFirst ... 216 266 306 314 315 316 317 318 326 366 416 ... LastLast
Results 6,301 to 6,320 of 10016

Thread: Hunter x Hunter II

Default Re: Hiatus x Hiatus

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorPhil View Post
    Level 4, considering his speed and dedication.
    There are like 5 levels in that game right?

RIGHT?!

Default Re: Hiatus x Hiatus

Quote Originally Posted by Sander View Post
    There are like 5 levels in that game right?

RIGHT?!

Per character.

Per class.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Default Re: Hiatus x Hiatus II

Busy catching up on HxH madhouse anime now. Finishing up the Yorkshin arc. The genei ryoudan are still my favorite villain collective from any anime/manga. Also, this anime has great music. But... am I the only one who doesn't like Shalnark's voice? Everyone else is fine, some perfect, but everytime I hear Shalnark's VA talk I cringe.
    kevinmidas.bandcamp.com
    I'm a musician! Have a listen!

New Jump scan, King will arrive 4th August.

Mythically Inept Inventor dan2026's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redon View Post

http://thumbnails105.imagebam.com/26...9266961272.jpg
    He's such an evil little fucker. Particularly at the start.
    His first act in the world is murder.

His Seiyuu is Koki Uchiyama or Midnight from Fairy Tail.
    Spoiler:

Finally! now awaiting for a decent sub
    Think happy thoughts

This episode was rather boring. That extensive explanation works way better in text form since you can breeze through it. Following along with it for the subs is tiresome, especially when you've heard it before. And considering how little fighting there actually was in this episode, I would have appreciated it if they made the short exchange Knuckle and Gon had a bit more varied.
    Last edited by Rolands; July 28th, 2013 at 10:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolands View Post
    This episode was rather boring.
    His ability was called "Chapter 7 bankruptcy" after all XD
    we all know how much economics and finance are fun!

Loved how they handled explaining Knuckle's hatsu and Killua's development in his fight with Shoot. He's got a long way to go before he can overcome Illumi's grasp.

Quote Originally Posted by Aohige_AP View Post
    I smell a stinking NEET!

Yes, work sucks, and anyone who holds a job where they can't take an year-long vacation every other year is a sucker.

I assume you're just being sarcastic, and not like saying every normal job in the world sucks.
    Depends on what you mean by normal job. Some "normal" jobs are mundane as fuck and I would gladly take sitting on my ass at home over working one anyday of the week. Right now I'm trying to get on SSI so I can live life as a "stinking NEET" since working all day everyday blows.

Quote Originally Posted by redon View Post
    When ANN posted news about the Chimera Ant arc starting, they showed the scan with the design of the king. The article writer referred to the king by his real name and the comments were all going "that's a spoiler! erase it!" which caused him to edit the article. But the name's just out in the open on this scan, wonder how those same guys will react, lol.

Btw does anyone know the name of the song that plays every time Knuckle is about to fight?

Question: I hear this a lot, but What are exactly are the "shonen cliches" that HxH desconstructs, with examples from every arc, and how would HxH be if it followed the generic shonen formula?

Quote Originally Posted by projectelf View Post
    Btw does anyone know the name of the song that plays every time Knuckle is about to fight?
    I *think* the track you're referring to is on the third OST, "Legend of the Martial Artist"

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey D. Destiny View Post
    Question: I hear this a lot, but What are exactly are the "shonen cliches" that HxH desconstructs, with examples from every arc, and how would HxH be if it followed the generic shonen formula?
    Well the first one that comes to mind is the battle system. Because nen is literally power created from the mind, raw power isn't the sole factor that goes into whether someone can win, and the flexibility of the system allows for conditions and limitations to be placed to strengthen abilities.

Not every arc deconstructs Shonen tropes but a lot of them tend to subvert the epic finale battle that close off most major story arcs. The one in the Hunter Exam is just brushed upon, York New doesn't end with an epic battle between Kurapika and Chrollo, they take a third option to end things, and Gon doesn't battle the Chimera Ant King at the end of the saga because Chairman Netero does it and even then the battle doesn't go exactly the way you think with it's ending in a third option as well. Despite that all three examples are really well done and the only thing it really messes up is having fighting games based on those arcs because well, no epic battle at the end of them (but you could pull off a game with the final battles of the Chimera Ant saga again you just won't be playing as Gon)

Oh and also I checked the Wiki and Hunter x Hunter is back to doing 3 and 4 chapters per episode. I guess the writers have just accepted the manga won't be back before the anime ends so they're just trying their best to end it with good pacing and the same quality it has had throughout.
    I'm gonna reach for the stars~~~

A few examples...
    The Hunter Exam doesn't climax with Gon climbing his way to the final round of a tournament. Rather, he achieves victory in the first round.
    Kastro declares that Killua will one day fight him, then he gets dreadfully murdered before that can happen.
    The introduction of the Phantom Troupe at a point where they are far stronger than the protagonists. Throughout the entire York New arc, Gon and Killua hardly fight the Troupe at all because they're way out of their league. They aspire instead to evade them and capture them through trickery. Moreover, Kurapica becomes the center of the story during the York New arc.
    Greed Island is a place originally designed for one to improve themselves by adventuring, but is reduced to a cold, calculated battle by the players therein.
    Novu, after being built up as extremely competent, flat out breaks down and refuses to invade the Chimera Ant Headquarters.
    The story is largely devoid of Shonen-powerups, and when Gon finally pulls one out it doesn't push him to new heights, but leaves him as a shadow of his former self.

It's unpredictable stuff like this that keeps the story fresh. Hunter x Hunter offers an often interesting new take on Shonen tropes, and does with them as it pleases. And as for how it would be if it followed a generic shonen formula...it would be a lot more like a generic shonen. I don't know how else to answer that.

Man I hate it when people call HunterxHunter a deconstruction of the shonen battle series. All it does is try not to be cliché.

Quote Originally Posted by projectelf View Post
    I dunno, but I like it and the one that played when Killua tried to fight Illumi's mind control.

And LOL at Madhouse finally despairing at Togashi
    if you want to check out my game progress: http://soggybreadgm.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Black Leg View Post
    Man I hate it when people call HunterxHunter a deconstruction of the shonen battle series. All it does is try not to be cliché.
    Yeah. People severely misuse the word deconstruction and I blame TV Tropes entirely

Even by simplified TV Tropes standards a "deconstruction" would have to take apart and be some sort of, god I don't know, examination of the inner workings of the mechanics far more thoroughly. That is to say it straight up engages cliches and then poses them with some sort of seemingly real world logic and then people beat off and call it clever and gritty or something most of the time and who cares it's a boring subject

That is not what HxH is and it's way better off for it. What Hunter x Hunter actually does is use the palette of tools from the common manga adventure drawer and prop them up... And then not play by the standards as one has come to expect a lot of the time. It's not unnatural the way it does it, in fact it's honestly really organic. It just takes a lot of familiar things and dodges expectations.

Easy example: The Phantom Troupe. They are set up like your usual diverse supergroup, to be taken down one at a time by our heroes in a linear order. The setup is sound but something different occurs: upon their first member being offed, they go straight up on the defensive. They mourn their fallen member, who several were very close to and loved, and they don't fall into the traps set up. Just one of their members dying was enough to drive a huge shockwave through the group. Several characters during this arc try to pull fast ones and in the end nobody really comes out ahead, with it turning into something very dissimilar to how villain groups like this are usually applied. They even straight up retreat and only two of them in the series have died.

The most obvious overarching thing is that the entire series has only had absolutely one arc that could even qualify as containing a lot of combat oriented elements.

It's not like HxH goes OKAY HERE IS WHAT EVERYTHING ELSE DOES AND WHAT I'M GONNA DO IS EVERYTHING DIFFERENT. That sounds too contrived and forced an idea. it's just... different enough

Closed Thread

Thread Information